Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters

oooop2

I henna every 12 days and do a gloss every 7, and I definitely see a difference. My hair is stronger. Doesn't tangle as easily. Looks shiny and all around healthy. I love henna!!!

AtlantaJJ

Naturals who henna fairly frequently, do you use henna in place of protein or protein reconstructors, or do you include protein also?

I have a theory that I am thinking of for my regiment. I am thinking I would only use a protein reconstructor when I plan to use heat before and after. Otherwise I would henna or a light protein like ORS Packs on an as needed basis...and of course moisture... :grin:

Thoughts on this? TIA

AngieB

I absolutely love HENNA! I henna/indigo about once a month..and every two weeks I do amla/shikaki/brahmi "mask" with oils. My hair is thriving. It is a very pretty brown/red highlights mixture. I have never received more compliments or inquiries on my color. This is great! My only issue is those stubborn greys..but next time I'll add more amla to the mix to maybe they won't turn out so orange looking.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Thanks MonaLisa, I am going to look into that brand! Yeah sleep too. I wake up about 6:30-7 am and stay up for the day. I guess like the rest of us :) Last night I only got to bed at 12:30 am because I had a client last night at a Moroccan restaurant for a corp. event.

sunbubbles

Naturals who henna fairly frequently, do you use henna in place of protein or protein reconstructors, or do you include protein also?

I have a theory that I am thinking of for my regiment. I am thinking I would only use a protein reconstructor when I plan to use heat before and after. Otherwise I would henna or a light protein like ORS Packs on an as needed basis...and of course moisture... :grin:

Thoughts on this? TIA

Ive always wondered about this also. Answers please???:yep:

ETA: I didnt know relaxed heads could henna. Is it some special kind? Im not relaxed, Ive just always wondered about that.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I absolutely love HENNA! I henna/indigo about once a month..and every two weeks I do amla/shikaki/brahmi "mask" with oils. My hair is thriving. It is a very pretty brown/red highlights mixture. I have never received more compliments or inquiries on my color. This is great! My only issue is those stubborn greys..but next time I'll add more amla to the mix to maybe they won't turn out so orange looking.

I want to use indigo and alma for my gray hair s too because they are a really nice shade of Bozo the Clown orange/red right now...I would love them to be burgundy!! :lick:

oreoday99

Thoughts on this? TIA

I'm very curious about this too. I did my first Henna this past weekend and I wasn't sure if I should use a protein conditioner afterwards. (I just used moisturizing conditioners instead.)

AtlantaJJ

I'm very curious about this too. I did my first Henna this past weekend and I wasn't sure if I should use a protein conditioner afterwards. (I just used moisturizing conditioners instead.)
I always use just moisture right after and for the first week after a henna treatment.

My question is more so for a long term rotation type regiment. If I didn't use henna I could use a like protein or reconstrutor every week because my hair likes protein. I was just wondering how other naturals who use henna work their protein into to their conditioning routines.

hypek

i am very interested in henna because i would like to thicken and strengthen my hair, yet i am afraid of the reddish hue that henna leaves behind being that my hair is already two different colors (i am growing out a light brown permanent color) and i am transitioning to my natural color which is a milk chocolate color. is there a way to henna hair and have it not deposit any color?

thanks in advance!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
i am very interested in henna because i would like to thicken and strengthen my hair, yet i am afraid of the reddish hue that henna leaves behind being that my hair is already two different colors (i am growing out a light brown permanent color) and i am transitioning to my natural color which is a milk chocolate color. is there a way to henna hair and have it not deposit any color?

thanks in advance!

Not that I know of. You should use cassia instead. Some call it colorless henna. I haven't used it, but you can try a search.

Rei

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it? Reshma Henna from the grocery

How often do you do your treatments? I did mine twice over a period of two months

What if anything do you add to your henna? The first time I added lemon juice and acv, and then after the dye release, hsr, coconout oil and lustrasilk conditioner. The second time I used tea as a dye release agent, and then added hsr, coconut oil, olive oil and honey

What benefits have you seen in your hair? None. I didn't see any of the reported shine that others had seen, and it may have been because I was just starting out, but it did make my hair EXTREMELY strawlike despite multiple DCs, and I noticed no real increase in strength or retention

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? Two months, so I am still a newbie, I guess.

What is your hair type? 4ab natural

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful? Lol I wish that I could have had some of the benefits that others have been raving about, but I simply have not seen any of it. I'm kind of too afraid to try it again since even now, two weeks later, it still is not back to normal:perplexed I guess Henna definately is not for everyone.

loveable37

I use HENNA three times and all it did nothing for me it made flakes all over my head,also extremely damage. its took a whole month for my hair too get back normal even when i deep conditioner overnite my hair felt like SH....t.
it make my hair strong alrigh
my hair was tangle up like DREaDS i lost so much hair my hair broke off front and back no more henna for me.

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

Not that I know of. You should use cassia instead. Some call it colorless henna. I haven't used it, but you can try a search.
Cassia is not as strong as henna and the benefits wear off more quickly too. Having said that, is a good substitute for henna.

baddison

natural for good
So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:

Also, please share info about your Henna regimens....

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?
I use a variety of Hennas....they are all 100% PURE HENNA AND/OR INDIGO. I use Colora Henna in Black, also NUPUR Henna, also Reshma Henna. I get them at my local indian grocery store.

How often do you do your treatments?
I henna every two weeks for now, but will be moving on to monthly henna'ing very soon.

What if anything do you add to your henna?
I add coffee as my liquid, then I add Vatika Coconut oil, Tresemme Vitamin-E Moisturizing Conditioner, and Honey. The mixture is very creamy and so smooth. I DO NOT wait for color release. I only & ALWAYS henna overnite, and always on a Friday nite, so I get release while I sleep. I wake up on Saturday and jump right into my moisture wash and DC routine.

What benefits have you seen in your hair?
My hair is stronger, it almost feels like strong fibers when meshed together. I know there have been reports of straw-like texture and feeling to hair after henna. This is true if you don't moisturize, moisturize, & moisturize some more. After my wash and moisture DC w/heat, I add my BB-Oil moisturizer, and seal with coconut oil. That nite, before I go to bed, I do a whole-head baggy with Paul Mitchell The Conditioner. In the morning.....mmmmm:lick:......my tresses are so soft, moist, and strong! All I need to do is seal with my Vatika, put in my bun.....and away we go.!!!:yep:

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?
A little over 6months now. The first few times were disasterous!! But I determined not to give up and kept modifying my mixes until I found one that works for ME and MY HAIR.

What is your hair type?
Relaxed, 4b

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?
Its important to find the right mixture of henna that works for you. I have tried a lot of the mixes that some ladies have recommended, but I was always frustrated....especially when it came to rinsing out my henna. It seemed that I could never get it ALL out, even when using cheapie conditioners like some recommended. I just kept experimenting until I found the perfect mix of oils and conditioners and now my henna rinses out COMPLETELY with nothing but the runnign water from my shower head. It could be the oils, it could be the honey, it could be the conditioner....but Heck! it works. I have spoken to local indian women, and although my hair is nothing like theirs....I can still reap the benefits they reap from using natural henna. Benefits like stonger hair, hair that does not snap & break at the slightest touch, shiny hair (when using Vatika coconut hair oil) and I am also enjoying the color deposits on my greys too.:yep:

I would recommed baggying with moisture for the next 2-3 nites straight if you feel like your hair is "straw-ish" from henna. Believe me. I am hooked on henna.

Aggie

thanks in advance!

The best way is to not wait for the henna dye to release color and the way to do that is to apply it to your hair immediately after mixing and leave on your hair for an hour or two then wash out. This way you receive the conditioning benefits without the color deposit.

Khadija.D.Carryl

With some henna powders though, that have quick dye release, it's hard to mix it up and just use it and hope that you won't get any color results.

Get some samples and test it out for yourself would be best. But you can also use cassia obovata. You would probably need to use it every 2-4 weeks but still it's better then worrying about possible color, ESPECIALLY since you have two tones going on right now. I would never recommend a risk with henna on light tones when someone doesn't want color.

Loveable what type of henna did you use? For easiest to deal with henna powder it would be Jamila summer crop 2008 as it washes out the best. It's as smooth as melted chocolate

diva24

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:
Depends on what you are looking for
Also, please share info about your Henna regimens....

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?
I use various brands, fresh from teh Indian markets near my home
How often do you do your treatments?
I did them once a month
What if anything do you add to your henna?
a little vinegar and a little oil
What benefits have you seen in your hair?
My hair seemed to be thicker
How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?
I did them for about half a year
What is your hair type?
3b/c
Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?
The color is permanent and it may loosen your hair texture. Both of these reasons are why I stopped using henna.:ohwell:

Thanks in advance ladies:)
If your hair needs thickness and you dont mind texture changes or reddish tints then henna is GREAT! My hair is already semi thick. I used henna becasue I was being greedy. It also loosened my texture which I didn't like. The color was ok. But for now I miss my natural color, sad thing is, henn ahas to be grown out, the color is permanent. My natural color isn't black so my hair pcked up quite a bit of color. 8 months later and people ask me everytime I wash my hair "Oh youv'e dyed your hair?!" Nope same henna just seems to reflect better on clean hair. It never fails.

When I did henna I woudl oil my hair and prepare my henna. Then the next day I would henna my hair and leave it for atleast 2 hours. I loved the color. My hair stylist was AMAZED that my color was so rich from just using henna. Anyways, I may go back to henna if I cant readily find Cassia.:yep:

prettyFine

doesn't henna make your hair hard and tangled?

if i want jet black hair what do i use alma or regular henna?

is there anything i can do before during or with the henna to avoid the tangling and hard hair issues?

Angelicus

doesn't henna make your hair hard and tangled?

if i want jet black hair what do i use alma or regular henna?

is there anything i can do before during or with the henna to avoid the tangling and hard hair issues?
No, my hair is not tangled after using Karishma brand henna. I recommend it.

I also have jet black hair. Do a search on LHCF and find out how we do it. I do a henna treatment, rinse it out and then apply my indigo mixture. My hair is jet black and I do not see any gray hair. My gray hair is black like the rest of my hair... naturally.

Apply henna to detangled hair. I rinse my hair out in a tub filled with water. I just get in and tilt my hair back to get all of the henna out. Then I shower as usual to get the last bits of pieces out. I do not use conditioner to get all of the henna out because I believe that it prevents my indigo application from soaking in my hair. HTH.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Henna won't tangle your hair but your hair should be untangled first, and then apply it smoothly onto your hair and by sections to avoid any tangling. How you wash it out helps too. Like wash it out by having it washed and rubbed out thoroughly form head to back. Don't put your hair on top of your head, as that is what tangles it all up usually. Like when I do henna I can have smooth it in from back to front and then smooth it into the front. massage a little and then wrap it like a bun almost at the back. Then I put a shower cap over it.

Good henna powder will give your hair a bit of a reddish tone. Depending on your tone of brown-black hair. The lighter your hair is the redder the henna and more it shows through.

Indigo will keep your hair black. You'd have to do henna first and then indigo as a 2-step treatment. Here is a basic recipe and guide:
http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-use...ye-your-hair-reddish-to-brown-to-black-tones/

Afterwards make sure to moisturize and oil or condition your hair well afterwards.

PrettyFine! I hope this helps and happy henna'ing!

luvmesumhair

Question, I know I have to Henna first before I indigo BUT...do I need to let the color release in the Henna in order for the Indigo to take effect?

Thx!

Khadija.D.Carryl

hhmm yes having color release would be the safest option because you want that reddish base in case any of the indigo fades. It might turn out like indigo without any color base, those green stories you hear about, especially is there is any grey hair. So try to let your henna sit out for at least 1-2 hours, or just use moroccan henna powder as it has very fast dye release, like use in an hour and then that way you get a good base, and then use your indigo. It's the fastest method to me.

baddison

natural for good
Khadija, I am simply loving :love: what henna is doing for my hair. I am interested in mixing Henna with Amla......no indigo...no other powders. Will the amla make the red a LOT LESS RED??? I want to go darker, but I don't want to bother with the two-step process. Once I have rinsed...THAT'S IT until the next henna treatment.

Can I go successfully darker with 2parts henna + 1part amla? Or should I increase the amla to go darker. I have read at your henna forum that some ladies have gotten nice browns with henna + amla only.

I'm so grateful that you come here and share!!!!:grin:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Has anyone used a cellophane like sabastines clear with the henna or do you use it after and how did you do it (the process)?

My goal is to have glossy hair. I have done the henna glosses and it was not so glossy. I love the color deposit I get with henna but no shine.

Swanky

Great Thread...Henna...the alternative to chemical dyes when it comes to coloring hair, including a few gray (taking up resident front and sides mostly --why, why it has to be upfront, upstaging me, why not on the ceiling?). Anyway, Where can I purchase: Henna, Amla, Shikakai and Indigo powders for my natural hair all in the same place/or it doesn't have to be.
Thanks for all tips on Henna. I never Henna'd before, because I never had such well-informed ladies here to learn from. So now I'm mentally ready. I'm in the Washington, DC area. Ladies, any tips on this?