Henna Glosses! Post Your Regimen & Recipes

kinkycurlyB

I just mix my henna with water and a capful of lemon juice ... Let the dye release and then add i cup of HE hello hydration, honey, and olive oil. I then immediately apply the mixture.

Fhrizzball

How much does henna have to be diluted to be consider a gloss?

I use my henna as my protein treatment so I put a bit of protein in it as well.

I let my henna dye release with a splash of lemon, one egg, and some hot water. I then add a bit a 2 min aphogee, protein filler, and a cheapie conditioner and perhaps a bit of oil to get the right consistency.

I DC with AOHSR mixed with olive oil and grapeseed oil.

Sometimes I add a bit of henna to a conditioner if I want more of a kick. I don't know if it does anything though.

coyacoy

hi all.......after reading pages and pages of henna recipes and regimen variations both here and on other sites, I mix mine as follows (i use henna for the condish purposes and not so much color, so i apply right after mixing since no concern about the dye release - also don't use lemon juice or ACV because my 4a/4b hair is very dry naturally and that type of mix would just not work for me):
  • BAQ fresh, pure henna - mix 100g of it slowly into homemade condish
  • homemade condish consists of pure shea or mango butter and a bunch of fav oils (almond, JBCO, coconut, grapeseed, shea butter oil)
  • once mixed add aloe vera juice instead of distilled water
  • I apply on dry, pre-oiled hair
  • I baggy and leave in for at least 4 hours then rinse in shower
  • comes out easily enough, but just inherently takes a looooong time to rinse henna out
  • DC with homemade condish using different mixers - under dryer for 10-15, rinse, braid as PS and lace front wig it:yep:
this creates a nice thick paste if you prefer to be able to scoop it up and apply directly to hair. I apply in sections (hair parted into 4 sections) - I set out my "henna towels" and put on my "henna clothes":yep: and get busy. Planning on trying the steamer method in the next few months - heard that can significantly expedite the whole process. HTH

Aggie

Starting out with Henna should I begin with the gloss regimen monthly or bi-weekly?
@Leo24Rule
What are your goals? Are you trying to get mostly color deposit or is deep conditioning your main goal? If it is the latter, I would start with every month and see if your hair likes it first. Later if your hair can handle it, you can increase it to every 2 weeks.

I don't recommend getting too over zealous in the beginning, slow and steady as she goes is the approach with henna. It s wonderful once you find the perfect regimen for your hair though. I love it a lot even though I'm not crazy about the process.

If it's for color deposit, try it once a month but without conditioners and oils added to the mix. Conditioners do not stop the color deposit but they certainly lessen the intensity of the color deposit.

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

@Aggie my goal with henna is for the conditioning, strengthening, & thickening properties. I could care a less for the color deposits. Highlights cool... Anything else no.
Currently sitting with Cassia mix with other powders on my head. After Cassia is gone I'll use Henna.

Aggie

@Aggie my goal with henna is for the conditioning, strengthening, & thickening properties. I could care a less for the color deposits. Highlights cool... Anything else no.
Currently sitting with Cassia mix with other powders on my head. After Cassia is gone I'll use Henna.
Every couple of weeks should suffice at the start, but you may be able to increase it to every 7-10 days after a short while.

Leo24Rule

Can you please explain the difference between henna glosses vs. applying henna directly &/or using a tea spritz as a leave-in please?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I did my first henna gloss tonight. I like the results and will do it again soon. Has anyone tried doing it weekly? Is that too much? Too little?

Aggie

I did my first henna gloss tonight. I like the results and will do it again soon. Has anyone tried doing it weekly? Is that too much? Too little?
Henna glosses are extremely gentle on my hair. Weekly to bi-weekly was okay when I did them. I want to start incorporating them in my hair regimen again. Thanks for the reminder.