Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters

Noir

so you're sayin my water is too hard for henna? hmm... what if i do a "henna wash"-mix henna w/ a chelating poo? do a good steam dc afterward?

(dumb i know, just throwin somethin out there
yes your water could be too hard so instead i would use some distilled water instead of tap. (a gallon for under a buck at most store)

Also make sure that the water you use is not HOT HOT or boiled. This can make the henna harden your hair.

Platinum

Good Luck! You can do it no problem! :grin: :up:

Thanks!:grin: I did the Henna and Indigo last weekend. I love the color. It turned out to be "natural black" and my hair feels stronger.:yep: I don't understand what the complaint is about the smell, it's not that bad to me. It smells "earthy".:look: The only problem I have is that my hair felt like straw for a few days but I cowashed and DC'd daily. Aggie, I'm going to try your Fenugreek recipe and see if that helps. I'm also thinking about trying a water purifier on my faucets because I think I'm in a hard water area.I'm going to do this again maybe next month.

Aggie

Thanks!:grin: I did the Henna and Indigo last weekend. I love the color. It turned out to be "natural black" and my hair feels stronger.:yep: I don't understand what the complaint is about the smell, it's not that bad to me. It smells "earthy".:look: The only problem I have is that my hair felt like straw for a few days but I cowashed and DC'd daily. Aggie, I'm going to try your Fenugreek recipe and see if that helps. I'm also thinking about trying a water purifier on my faucets because I think I'm in a hard water area.I'm going to do this again maybe next month.

Okay Platinum, let me know how it turns out okay? Working on getting your water softer will help a great deal:yep:.

longr

Hi,

I have several questions. I apologize in advance, since they may have been asked earlier in this thread, but the thread is so long...

I relax my hair. I lost alot of my thickness 2 years ago, but it's coming back. I trimming my hair as the thickness grows back in and it's currently APL.

1. How should I time my relaxers with the henna treatments? I had been using henna w/o telling my hairdresser. When she found out, she freaked and said my hair would shed out (it hasn't -- the hairloss was from a Dominican salon who tried--against my will-to relax my course thick hair silky straight). I want to start using the henna again, but want to be sure it will not damage my (almost) recovered hair.

2.Can I condense the henna and indigo into one step? (One thing I didn't like about the henna was it lightened & reddened my hair color. I did henna glosses mostly during my 4 months of use, but it still lightened my color. I like my natural, just slightly off black color).

3. The other result I didn't like was that my hair got stronger, but drier. I just read a few ladies added oils to their mixes. I'd be grateful for any other suggestions that would help.

Thanks!

lavenderchic

Okay Platinum, let me know how it turns out okay? Working on getting your water softer will help a great deal:yep:.

I must say the water filter really makes a difference. I got mine on tuesday and boy oh boy I'm in love.....my hair is so soft and my skin is loving the soft water. I Cant wait to try it after I henna the last time I henna'd boy oh boy did I have a tough time getting my hair soft again.

I didnt need any special tools or anything and it was only like $23.00, worth the investment. the filter last for 3 months and two replacement filters are only 16.00 bucks:grin:

Thank you Aggie

Aggie

I must say the water filter really makes a difference. I got mine on tuesday and boy oh boy I'm in love.....my hair is so soft and my skin is loving the soft water. I Cant wait to try it after I henna the last time I henna'd boy oh boy did I have a tough time getting my hair soft again.

I didnt need any special tools or anything and it was only like $23.00, worth the investment. the filter last for 3 months and two replacement filters are only 16.00 bucks:grin:

Thank you Aggie

I'm so happy to hear this lavenderchic and you're welcomed.

BostonMaria

I haven't read all 49 pages yet but...
Personally for me henna provides one big benefit and that's dying my greys

My problem is that I've dyed my own hair in the past and I've funked up my hair like 3 times. I'm talking FRIED hair. It was probably the combination of relaxing and coloring. Anyway I had about 3-4 inches of greys and last night I did a henna treatment. My hair feels strong and the greys are now red. I've attached a picture and hopefully you can see the red where it used to be grey.

Henna is a hassle. It takes forever to mix, forever to put in my hair, its messy, I have to deep conditioner like a mother, it smells like fresh cut grass *blah* and its time consuming. BUT the benefits outweighs the cons.

I used to henna every 2-3 months. This time I waited mostly due to being too busy. I buy my henna down the street at an Indian store. It costs $2.99 for a bag and its quality henna. I can't beat the price AND the greys are permanently dyed red.

Attachments

• DSC07335.JPG
    DSC07335.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 59

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

One word of caution tho, henna has to be moisturized frequently or your hair will break and/or be straw-like. The more treatments you use, the more conditioning you'll get but then again, the heavier and more coated the strands...more moisturizing needed. If you're relaxed, I'd take the advice of professional stylists....don't do it. It doesn't combine that well for many people. If your hair is natural, you'll generally get more benefits. It ultimately depends upon your hair. If you develop coated hair frequently with product build-up, have dryness, easily broken ends, don't use it. In that case, a henna conditioner might be better to try.

natstar

I really like my henna results from using the karishma henna. The only problem I have is that it has clogged my tub drain- has anyone else had this issue? I want to continue to use henna but I don't want to buy drano everytime I need to henna-any suggestions?

AtlantaJJ

Thank you Aggie

Wow I have to look into this !!

Aggie

Since I installed my shower filter, my hair responds wayyyy better to my henna treatments:yep:. AJJ you will not regret this investment.

Khadija.D.Carryl

So softer water has given better results for those using the filter now?

What about when applying the henna onto damp hair? Whose done that and it's gone on easier? I usually recommend that.

As for drying your hair out. yes it's true any ayurvedic herbs can be drying to your hair but you can't be doing a treatment like every week and maybe not even every 2 weeks. The recommend usage is 4-6 weeks. Plus you're giving your hair time to grow, and give it a general break from becoming over dryed. If you are dyeing your hair just try to do touch ups.

Balance is the key when taking care of your hair.

For beginner's I'd recommend doing a henna gloss. It's easy to apply and just a good balance to start out with. You don't need henna if you don't want the red. You can always use cassia obovata as well for herbal benefits with no color change (except possibly on light hairs, like greys or dyed blonds).

If you don't like the smell then it's a good idea to add your favorite essential oil to your blend. Mine is sweet orange oil because it's refreshing and chances are you won't get a headache from it.

Find us on facebook at Henna and Natural hair on herbs (group) and there are a few other amazing natural hair groups on there too.

No one will tell you that beauty is easy. We got to work for beauty :)

Ganjababy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I put 2tb honeyquat (or honey) and 2tbs glycerin in the henna mixand my hair comes out as soft as ever. Also when I am washing out the henna I empty 1/2 - a whole bottle of really cheap conditioner on top of the henna and the henna just melts right out of my hair and all the hardness goes immediately. I then deep condition with a deep moistursing conditioner.

gorgeous86

One word of caution tho, henna has to be moisturized frequently or your hair will break and/or be straw-like. The more treatments you use, the more conditioning you'll get but then again, the heavier and more coated the strands...more moisturizing needed. If you're relaxed, I'd take the advice of professional stylists....don't do it. It doesn't combine that well for many people. If your hair is natural, you'll generally get more benefits. It ultimately depends upon your hair. If you develop coated hair frequently with product build-up, have dryness, easily broken ends, don't use it. In that case, a henna conditioner might be better to try.

I've read this before and I actually agree with this. I have stopped adding henna to my rinses and will only use it 4x per year for my 2 step indgo treatments. :yep:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I put 2tb honeyquat (or honey) and 2tbs glycerin in the henna mixand my hair comes out as soft as ever. Also when I am washing out the henna I empty 1/2 - a whole bottle of really cheap conditioner on top of the henna and the henna just melts right out of my hair and all the hardness goes immediately. I then deep condition with a deep moistursing conditioner.

I've got agave and veg. glycerin...wondering if those would interfere with the color deposit. I took out the extra protein and figured out that this was the reason my hair had overload...it is porous from relaxation and too much protein in the henna caused it to bind thicker...or, at least, that's what I think. I'm back to henna yippie!!! Everything is going better now.

AtlantaJJ

I've got agave and veg. glycerin...wondering if those would interfere with the color deposit. I took out the extra protein and figured out that this was the reason my hair had overload...it is porous from relaxation and too much protein in the henna caused it to bind thicker...or, at least, that's what I think. I'm back to henna yippie!!! Everything is going better now.

Someone posted, I think it might have been Lavender that glycerin might interfere with the color uptake. The safest bet seems to be conditioners (non-cone, non-protein) and or oils. I'm going to use olive oil in my next batch and Lustrasilk Mango/shea conditioner in my next batch adding the oil after the color release.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Someone posted, I think it might have been Lavender that glycerin might interfere with the color uptake. The safest bet seems to be conditioners (non-cone, non-protein) and or oils. I'm going to use olive oil in my next batch and Lustrasilk Mango/shea conditioner in my next batch adding the oil after the color release.

Wow, that was fast.! I'm itching to apply some. Thanks for the advice.

NGraceO

i don't know if this has been asked already, but can you indigo by itself???? I'm thinking of henning now, and indigo next weekend when it arrives....will this work??

**Glamourlicious**

Henna is my BOO. I have only done it once and I already see results with thickness and such. I am applying it for a second time this weekend and i am excited to see what happens with my hair next. Since I applied henna that one time...I have gotten SO many hair compliments.

It also was not as messy as I anticipated.

Ganjababy

i don't know if this has been asked already, but can you indigo by itself???? I'm thinking of henning now, and indigo next weekend when it arrives....will this work??

Yes you can- if used after henna. I think I read somewhere that it gives a blueish black dull colour if used by itself and that it's not recommended to be used on its own. You can indigo after you have hennaed though, so you can do it on top of the henna.

ETA: Don’t use indigo alone to dye your hair unless you want to look like a blue haired old lady. - http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairindigo/black.pdf

Last edited:

Aggie

Yes you can do it the way you plan to do it because you will already have some henna deposit in your hair and indigo will only work over henna. Henna does not wear off the hair in only a week so you will still be able to use indigo over the 1 week old henna and get results. Now if you were asking if indigo works on it's own without ANY henna deposit on the hair then the answer would be NO.

Lucky's Mom

I am on day three of my henna - I did it on Monday.... and I must say that - my hair feels very soft. I DOUSED my hair with Shealoe - and moisturinzing lotions... so I would say that YES - MOisturizing is key. But my hair feels THICK.

:yep:

My next treatment - in 2 weeks - will be a henna Gloss. NO more Hard stuff....Tons of oils and condish should do the trick.

Khadija.D.Carryl

Sorry to see there hasn't been any feedback. I was really sick this last week, and still have a bit of a cough.

There are bunches of great recipes out there. Like you could stick to a basic recipe, but it all depends on your needs and what you want to achieve. I'd recommend you post this question to the forum directly.

MonaLisa

Sorry to see there hasn't been any feedback. I was really sick this last week, and still have a bit of a cough.

There are bunches of great recipes out there. Like you could stick to a basic recipe, but it all depends on your needs and what you want to achieve. I'd recommend you post this question to the forum directly.

Awwww :sad:....hope that you're feeling better...:yep:

:hug2:

Khadija.D.Carryl

Thanks MonaLisa. I am feeling a bit better, like just about through with this cold. But I think I need to build my immune system with pro-biotics, or something like that, so I was told :)

MonaLisa

Thanks MonaLisa. I am feeling a bit better, like just about through with this cold. But I think I need to build my immune system with pro-biotics, or something like that, so I was told :)

Worth a shot...I've been intermittently taking Nature's Bounty Probiotic Acidophillus cause with all the running around and stress at work, I think it's helped me.

I need to take it more regularly.

Also, need to up the sleep game. I haven't been getting enough...make sure you get your proper rest to help speed up your progress. :)

Okay, back to henna before I get clocked... :lol: