Henna Glosses! Post Your Regimen & Recipes

CocoGlow

Hey Ladies

I'm really interested in your regimens & recipes using henna glosses....I've done henna treatments before and was informed that I could not add oils and humectants & conditioner, etc if I wanted a color release.....I was just using henna, ACV & herbal tea and my hair usually felt strong but very dry after henna treatments.....

I am very impressed with how knowledgeable you ladies are about Indian herbs and I am currently experimenting with them.....I would love to read your tips!!!

Questions:
What is your henna gloss recipe(s)?

How often do you apply the henna gloss?

What is your step-by-step regimen?

Do you still achieve a color tint w/ the additional ingredients added to the henna? If so, is is as strong os a color release as when using henna alone?

Is deep conditioning a MUST after or before doing a henna gloss since I am adding moisturizing elements to the gloss anyway?

Thanks in advance,:yawn:
NappyRina

ajargon02

Hey Ladies

I'm really interested in your regimens & recipes using henna glosses....I've done henna treatments before and was informed that I could not add oils and humectants & conditioner, etc if I wanted a color release.....Thanks in advance,:yawn:
NappyRina

Hummmmmm I am a long time henna user and I have NEVER heard anything like that:ohwell::perplexed. Where did you hear that oils, and humectants/conditioner will mess with the dye release? Things with acidic base will help the color release. You should read up on henna at the site listed below. The creator/seller Catherine is getting her masters with reguard to henna and I BELIEVE what she says b/c this is her thing, and SHE KNOWS what she's talking about. No disrespect but check it out for yourself, don't take my word on it. I have gotten much info on henna from her research and my own. Hth, good luck to you.:spinning:
http://www.hennaforhair.com

Look under the mixes. For a gloss just use less henna more liquid. The consistancy should be like suave conditioner.

PuffyBrown

I just add the moisturizing products after the color has released but this gloss sounds interesting.

Ill have to check back to this post later

Mortons

I always use oil with my henna and I got color release. Use the search and go to henna threads to check that advice.

For my henna gloss I use henna and random conditioner, usually v05. I add about 2 heaping tablespoons of henna and enough conditioner to mix it with. I mix the henna gloss, apply the gloss, put a bag over my head and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes or just leave the bag on go about my business for 1 hour. I rinse it out then DC, then style. I don't get color release for glosses because I don't allow the gloss to sit out.

Babygurl

Very interesting, I actually mix my conditioner (Capilo Mix and Honey Rinse), and oil with my Henna (I dont use water) let it sit and still get color release.

Last edited:

kiesha8185

Hummmmmm I am a long time henna user and I have NEVER heard anything like that:ohwell::perplexed. Where did you hear that oils, and humectants/conditioner will mess with the dye release? Things with acidic base will help the color release. You should read up on henna at the site listed below. The creator/seller Catherine is getting her masters with reguard to henna and I BELIEVE what she says b/c this is her thing, and SHE KNOWS what she's talking about. No disrespect but check it out for yourself, don't take my word on it. I have gotten much info on henna from her research and my own. Hth, good luck to you.:spinning:

Look under the mixes. For a gloss just use less henna more liquid. The consistancy should be like suave conditioner.

What is your henna gloss recipe(s)? Just adding henna with conditioner. Then add a lot of oil for shine and conditioning.

Whenever I'm too lazy to do the treatment...maybe once a month

What is your step-by-step regimen? I just add some lemon juice to some henna, let it sit for a while, and add that mixture to my conditioner.

Do you still achieve a color tint w/ the additional ingredients added to the henna? If so, is is as strong os a color release as when using henna alone? Sometimes I get a release anyway, but it's not really noticable cuz my hair is indigoed. You only really see the red tint in the sun.

Is deep conditioning a MUST after or before doing a henna gloss since I am adding moisturizing elements to the gloss anyway? Depends on your hair. My hair can tolerate lots of protein, so adding some henna to conditioner is a good balance for me.

Last edited:

kiesha8185

This has actually happened to me. I do get less color when I add oils to my mixture, so I know that oils do interfere with the amount of color released into the hair (at least the henna I use). Adding oils do not completely hinder dye uptake, it only decreases it a bit.

The website you listed is actually where I read an e-book copywritten by Catherine where she makes suggestions on what one should or shouldn't use in their henna mixes:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf

On page 22, she says you can add lemon, grapefruit, orange juice. Clove powder intensifies the color.

She says don't use hot water, it will change the color. She also states not to use coffee, it won't change the color you get and will only give you a headache.

On page 48, she says, not to add oil or eggs because it will hinder the dye uptake.

I indigo my hair now, so I purposely add a lot of oil to decrease the amount of color I get (cuz I use indigo my hair).

Read the e-book, cuz I read that thing cover to cover before I hennaed my hair. You will get all the info you need in there.

HTH

Last edited:

nappity

That book is a valuable resource and theres also Cassia which provides the gloss and no color. Buy your henna from a reputable source. That was the first things i learned on the boards. heres another site too. www.mehandi.com

Happy hairiness!!

Empress Yahudah

50g Jamila henna, cold water till its clay like, then cone-free conditioner and EVOO till mixture is creamy apply immediately for no color change.

Every 2 weeks

On henna gloss day ....
-I apply mixture immediately after mixing for no color change just conditioning benefits to dry or pre-poo'd damp hair for 1 hr no heat
-Rinse till I feel its henna free, apply an instant conditioner to hair work it through and rinse, repeat once again, and rinse
-Shampoo w/ CON green label, DC w/ Kenra MC for 30min w/ heat, leave-in w/ Lacio, then style as usual

Do you still achieve a color tint w/ the additional ingredients added to the henna? If so, is is as strong os a color release as when using henna alone?
I dont henna for color just for the conditioning and thickening benefits

Is deep conditioning a MUST after or before doing a henna gloss since I am adding moisturizing elements to the gloss anyway?
To me deep conditioning is a must period.
Depending on what type of henna u use as some are more drying then others doing a pre-poo and applying it to already damp hair cuts down on the drynesss/hardness/tangles.
Since I use fresh Jamila henna I dont need to pre-poo before using it because it dosent dry/tangle/harden my hair at all

LadyZ

50g Jamila henna, cold water till its clay like, then cone-free conditioner and EVOO till mixture is creamy apply immediately for no color change.

Every 2 weeks

On henna gloss day ....
-I apply mixture immediately after mixing for no color change just conditioning benefits to dry or pre-poo'd damp hair for 1 hr no heat
-Rinse till I feel its henna free, apply an instant conditioner to hair work it through and rinse, repeat once again, and rinse
-Shampoo w/ CON green label, DC w/ Kenra MC for 30min w/ heat, leave-in w/ Lacio, then style as usual

I dont henna for color just for the conditioning and thickening benefits

To me deep conditioning is a must period.
Depending on what type of henna u use as some are more drying then others doing a pre-poo and applying it to already damp hair cuts down on the drynesss/hardness/tangles.
Since I use fresh Jamila henna I dont need to pre-poo before using it because it dosent dry/tangle/harden my hair at all
===========

Where do you buy the freash jamila henna? I don't see it listed on the henna for hair site...

TIA:yep:

Empress Yahudah

===========

Where do you buy the freash jamila henna? I don't see it listed on the henna for hair site...

TIA:yep:
Hey I got it from mehndiskinart.com when they had a good sale goin on ....
actually they still have the sale. Its $1.95 a box and they have the 2007 crop at $4.95 a box.

CocoGlow

Thanks ladies for your responses!

I actually thought that the difference between henna treatments anf henna glosses was that one was just straight-up henna, ACV or lemon juice & water and that the other included the conditioner, oil & humectants!

So if I am not getting this straight please let me know: For a regular henna treatment, if I add conditioner, oil & humectants to henna that has sat out for a few hours w/ plain water or ACV or lemon, I can still get a color release if I leave it on my hair for a few hours...also for a henna gloss, I can do the same regimen, letting the hanna paste sit out for hours OR not and add the same amount additional ingredients and but the only difference would be how long I let it sit on my hair?

So my intent w/ the henna gloss should be more for the conditioning properties of henna and to not expect the same amount of color release b/c I am not leaving it on my hair as long as the regular henna treatment? So for a henna gloss I don't have to let the henna sit out for hours or leave it on my hair for hours to allow the color to release b/c that would not be my goal? Please let me know if I am getting this correct?

Thank you so much!
NappyRina

JustKiya

I have to strongly disagree with the idea that adding humectents/ conditioner to your henna reduces its dye uptake.

I have very dark, very color resistant hair, and I've never done anything but henna 'glosses' according to your above definition. While my hair isn't flaming red - even commercial chemical dyes won't make my hair red without it being bleached first - I do have some serious red hairlights going on. And, I ALWAYS henna with gloves on, because in the 15 minutes it takes me to henna my hair, my gloves are stained a deep orange. If that ain't quick color uptake, I don't know what is.

I don't think that the mixture makes a HUGE difference in the final color result - I think that the amount of TIME you let it sit on your hair makes a much bigger difference.

My mixture - which I came to over a time of tweaking in order to keep my (fine, dry) hair as happy as possible is as follows:

1 part henna + 1 part hot water (I usually mix up my henna in one huge batch, let the color release, and freeze it in about 4oz sizes - which is more than enough for my hair) and make sure to let the color release. No, I don't use any acid - my hair doesn't like it, and the henna still releases fine (I'm using FNWL's henna)

Mix in to the henna paste an EQUAL amount of cheapie conditioner (I'm using White Rain right now, I think)

Add a touch of oil/honey/molassess as desired (I usually only do honey in the summer, when my hair needs the extra moisture, but I'll almost always add just a TOUCH of oil - coconut usually, but I've used Alma these last couple of times and I'm liiikiiinnnggg it!)

Slap on head, leave on for 6-24 hours (I think 24 hours is the longest I've ever left it on, but I'm might have done it longer - the longer the henna is on your head, the more of the dye has a chance to transfer into your hair - if I rinse my henna out, and it's still orangeish colored, I'm upset. :grin: )

I do this once a month, and I'm getting both the color properties, and the conditioning properties. I wear headscarves the weekend I'm henna'ing, so that I'm not tied to the house for the day or so it's sitting in my hair.

If I wanted JUST the conditioning properties, I guess I could let it sit on for a shorter amount of time.

The thing with henna though, is that it conditions AS it colors - the same molecule (lawsome) that contains the color of the henna, is the same one thats bonding to your hair, filling in the protien gaps, making it stronger, and giving your hair that infamous henna 'bling' - so I'm not sure, really, what the percentage difference is per hour/per additional ingredient. That would be an interesting experiment. :lol:

I hope that helped, some....... good luck, and enjoy!

CocoGlow

WOW..thanks ladies for helping me to understand henna treatments more better...now I know that the amount of color release depends upon how long I keep the henna on my hair & not whether or not I add additional ingredients....this makes me feel so much better about using henna b/c when I was using it alone, it dried my hair waay too much-now I know I can add conditioner, oil & humectants & still get color without all the dryness!!!

Please continue to post your recipes & regimens...I cannot get enough!

Oh yeah and if you are doing moisturizing deep conditioning treatments after your henna treatments please list those recipes as well...

Thanks
NappyRina

Lissa0821

What is your henna gloss recipe(s)? 3 tablespoons of henna, 3 tablespoons of alma powder, White Rain Tropical Coconut conditioner, 1/4 cup of alma oil, 1/4 cup of vatika oil, 1 tablespoon of honey. I mix until I have a thick paste similar to a relaxer by adding the WRTC.

How often do you apply the henna gloss? Biweekly

What is your step-by-step regimen? Mix produts, immediately apply to dry hair and cover with plastic cap for 45 minutes. Rinse, wash hair with Patene Relaxed and Natural followed by a deep condition with Patene Relaxed and Natural Mask.

Do you still achieve a color tint w/ the additional ingredients added to the henna? If so, is is as strong os a color release as when using henna alone? Yes, I still get the reddish highlights. I have never used henna alone as I have fine hair.

Is deep conditioning a MUST after or before doing a henna gloss since I am adding moisturizing elements to the gloss anyway? Yes, I have found a deep conditioner is a must whenever I use a henna gloss.

LadyZ

Hey I got it from mehndiskinart.com when they had a good sale going on ....
actually they still have the sale. Its $1.95 a box and they have the 2007 crop at $4.95 a box.

===

Thanks MissMadaam....
Also, is this henna stuff like a protein? and if so, How strong is it... My hair does not care for protein at all?
Is all henna considered protein?
Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to learn about it..

TIA

napgurl

What is your henna gloss recipe(s)? Mix yogart, amla oil and conditioner.

1 per month

What is your step-by-step regimen? Mix ingredients together and let it sit for 1 hour.

Do you still achieve a color tint w/ the additional ingredients added to the henna? If so, is is as strong os a color release as when using henna alone? I get enough release to add color to my grey.

Is deep conditioning a MUST after or before doing a henna gloss since I am adding moisturizing elements to the gloss anyway? Yes

JustKiya

Ah, yes, I missed that last bit of the question.
I clarify before henna, henna, then DC afterwards. I've skipped the post-henna DC step, but the hair, she was not pleased.

SelfStyled

Great thread, I have enjoyed learning every one's recipes. Just wanted to add my two cents. I don't try to get color release from my glosses, I do it more or the conditioning properties but I always do.

2TBS Henna, 2 TBS Oil(Coconut+EVOO), 2 Tbs cone free conditioner, 2TBS Honey

Monthly

Apply to damp clarified hair, cover w/ a satin bonnet and sit under dryer for an hr.

Yes, pretty much the same. I have beautiful red highlights that has made my color like a 1b/33

Absolutely, I DC w/ my most moisturizing conditioner or at least 30 min w/ heat.

LadyZ

Great thread, I have enjoyed learning every one's recipes. Just wanted to add my two cents. I don't try to get color release from my glosses, I do it more or the conditioning properties but I always do.

2TBS Henna, 2 TBS Oil(Coconut+EVOO), 2 Tbs cone free conditioner, 2TBS Honey

Monthly

Apply to damp clarified hair, cover w/ a satin bonnet and sit under dryer for an hr.

Yes, pretty much the same. I have beautiful red highlights that has made my color like a 1b/33

Absolutely, I DC w/ my most moisturizing conditioner or at least 30 min w/ heat.
===========

This sounds good... So you don't leave it on over night... WOW

CocoGlow

Thanks ladies....

What kind of DC's are you all doing, homemade or commercial brands?

I am assuming you are not using anything w/ protein in it for your DC?

Does anyone do these henna treatments or glosses over braids or twists?

I have in small natural box braids right now & I am tempted to do a henna treatment soon but I don't feel like taking out my braids first.....

Will it be too dificult to rinse out?

And more recipes please...I'm loving these mixes:drunk:

Last edited:

Lavendar

I have been using henna for well over a year and just discovered glossing. I mainly decided to do them to streamline my routine and I've found I get just as much color, if not more, than with my regular henna treatment. I think a lot has to do with the kind of henna you use and how fresh it is. I use Indian henna regularly, but I switched to Jamila for my gloss and the color was off the hook!!

What is your henna gloss recipe(s)? Mix 50g Jamila henna with very hot water until it is still thick but all the powder is wet, then add VO5 conditioner and Lustrasilk shea butter conditioner until smooth and creamy. If I add oil to henna, it's always right before I apply to my hair. Also, to aid the color release (cause I like it intense) I wrap the bowl in a heating pad set on low. Usually it takes Jamila the longest to release, but I get really intense color in about 5 hours doing this.

I just started glossing about a month ago, but I will continue to do so every 2-3 weeks. I used to henna every 6-8 weeks, but stepping up my game has significantly decreased my winter shedding and breakage.

What is your step-by-step regimen? Apply henna from roots to ends and wrap with saran wrap and plastic cap. Sit with heat cap for 2-3 hours. Rinse thoroughly with more V05 and use a 3-minute conditioner afterwards. I never have to DC after a henna gloss. I also freeze leftovers and the color is still as intense when I defrost and use again.

Do you still achieve a color tint w/ the additional ingredients added to the henna? If so, is is as strong os a color release as when using henna alone? I've never used henna alone. My regular henna mix consists of strong brewed tea, essential oils, and coconut oil after release. The indian henna gives me nice color (more orangish), but never as strong and intense as Jamila (more deep reddish).

Is deep conditioning a MUST after or before doing a henna gloss since I am adding moisturizing elements to the gloss anyway? I clarify before applying my henna gloss. I never DC after using henna because my hair is always so soft and detangled after "washing" it out with VO5 and Lustrasilk shea butter. I do apply a 3-minute conditioner (HairVeda Moist Condition Pro) mixed with a little sesame oil afterwards. This just makes my combout easier and my hair air dries so smooth and silky (I use this after every poo, not just henna).

Empress Yahudah

===

Thanks MissMadaam....
Also, is this henna stuff like a protein? and if so, How strong is it... My hair does not care for protein at all?
Is all henna considered protein?
Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to learn about it..

TIA
Henna is strengthen but is not a protein. I still use "light/med" protein conditioners
Also since it is strengthening its best not to use it at the same wash u do a protein treatment or protein conditioners. I can get away with using silk proteins and wheat proteins same day though with no problem since they are moisturizing, softening and silkening... but anything with keratin,collagen,marine,etc. is too much for my hair same day as henna

Empress Yahudah

Thanks ladies....

What kind of DC's are you all doing, homemade or commercial brands?

I am assuming you are not using anything w/ protein in it for your DC?
I use a commercial dc after henna ....Kenra MC

It has wheat protein but wheat proteins are more so for moisturizing to the hair and increases it ability to recieve and keep moisture. Also my conditioner rinse and leave-in has silk protein and that fine for my hair too since silk proteins silkens and softens

LadyZ

Henna is strengthen but is not a protein. I still use "light/med" protein conditioners
Also since it is strengthening its best not to use it at the same wash u do a protein treatment or protein conditioners. I can get away with using silk proteins and wheat proteins same day though with no problem since they are moisturizing, softening and silkening... but anything with keratin,collagen,marine,etc. is too much for my hair same day as henna

==
Thanks MissMadaam, I think I will order today... Have you ever hennaed your hair using a hooded dryer, to cut down the process time?

Empress Yahudah

==
Thanks MissMadaam, I think I will order today... Have you ever hennaed your hair using a hooded dryer, to cut down the process time?

LOL noooo Im too afraid the the heat will activate the color release or something:lol:
Im in my "dark hair mode" right now so Im only in it for the conditioning/thickening bennefits
But an hour for the henna gloss to do its magic isnt long to me... I pre-poo 30min and sometimes an hour, so....

Last edited:

Lotus

8 Tbs Full Fat Yogurt
2 Tbs Honey
2 Tbs Elucence MB Conditioner
2 Tbs Alma Powder

4 Tbs Nestle Instant Coffee
2 Tbs Coconut Cream
4 Tbs Coconut Oil

100g pk of Jamila Henna
2 tbs of Alma powder

1st time today. But I think I'll do every two weeks, then cut back to once a month or as need.

I mixed w/back of spoon to make sure Alma Powder dissolved. Because I was nervous about color, I placed this mixture in the icebox (over night) to read up on the board some more. I dont think it matters, but thought I'd post anyway.

This morning, I put the coffee in glass bowl and added drops of warm water and mixed until the coffee dissolved and looked like thick cake icing. Then I added Coconut Cream & warm Coconut Oil and combined. I added a couple drops of warm water, just to make smooth thick paste.

I poured the Henna and more Alma powder (I added more Alma this morning because I was real nervous about my hair turning color) into a large mixing bowl. I slowly combined the yogurt mixture, beating with the back of a fork. After this mixture was smooth, I added the coffee mixture and blended more. Then I added warm water until the mixture was a consistency between pudding and yogurt.

I let the henna sit in the bowl, for about 45mins. I washed my hair w/Shikakai bar, rinsed w/Porosity Control Conditioner and applied. I left the henna on my hair for 1hr w/plastic cap. Got up to take a look under the cap and the mud had turned from a green to a brownish colour. I wanted to leave it on a little longer, but I was nervous, so I rinsed and deep conditioned w/Capilo Avocado for 15mins.

My hair is still wet, but it still appears dark- no colour release. *If after it drys, I have colour, I'll update my post later.*

Unsure about this one. I do know that my hair was not hard, it was real soft and moist as I rinsed the henna out. However, I deep conditioned (error on side of caution) anyway because it's suggested.