Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters

brownsugarflyygirl

It has taken me 6-months on LHCF to solidify my products and then simplify my regimen. I am now fully natural and my hair is thriving. I am SUPER hesitant to add anything to my regimen....BUT this Henna thing sounds really good but REALLY complicated...People are mixing up coffee, honey, rosewater, ordering from this place and that...It just seems like too much :ohwell:

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:

Also, please share info about your Henna regimens....

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?

How often do you do your treatments?

What if anything do you add to your henna?

What benefits have you seen in your hair?

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?

What is your hair type?

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?

Thanks in advance ladies:)

JLove74

To answer your main question, for me it is worth it. I've noticed a change (in the better) for my hair.
What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it? Jamila or Reshma from a local Indian Store

How often do you do your treatments? I henna every week

What if anything do you add to your henna? I add water, coconut or jojoba oil - no coffee, tea, grass or berries :lachen: . Sometimes, I'll add conditioner

What benefits have you seen in your hair? Shine, Shine, Shine, I like the subtle hightlights, less shedding, body and stronger hair.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? I've been hennaing for about 3 months now

What is your hair type? 4a/b, relaxed

It hasn't been a hassle for me. I mix, let it sit for 12 hrs, apply w/applicator brush and smooth (takes about 10-15 min), apply plastic cap, go to sleep or do stuff around the house for 3 hours. Rinse out, wash once w/Aveda Damage Remedy poo, deep condition w/Damage Remedy - style as normal

Last edited:

Softresses

To me, henna is an extremely useful addition to my haircare, the results outweigh any trouble you go through to do the treatment.

My haircare routine is extremely simple. It consists of

co washing
put hair up
Texturize every 12 weeks or so

My hair has very fine and extremely soft strands. It will not relax bone straight. I used to try to get it to, but I did damage by leaving the relaxer on too long. The hairdressers I went to also left my relaxers on too long, smoothed too much and ended up TOTALLY destroying my hair. I changed relaxers, decided to stop fighting my curly areas, and simply texturize myself to match the texture up.

I kept reading up on henna because I heard that it strenghtened up the hair strands by depositing itself within the strand. So I added it to my routine as a strengthener, I like to do them every few weeks and before and after my texturizer. It makes my hair MEGA STRONG!

My recipe is very simple, you will read about a lot of things people add to henna, most of these things are extra.

What is needed:
Henna
Water
Acid to cause color release (lemon juice, Amla, ACV etc)

Extras I add to do different things are:
Amla, darkens color and provides acid For color release (2 birds 1 stone)
Yogurt, for creaminess and stretches amount for more applications
A few drops of Lavender oil, (for color release and to cut smell of henna)
Gelled pectin, causes mixture to gel, makes easy to apply and clean up
I sometimes leave out yogurt and only use pectin.

I hope this helps

Softresses

ETA; I also do henna gloss sometimes instead of a complete henna, just take henna mix leftovers and add conditioner. Works great!

Last edited:

shocol

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??: Yes, it's part of my routine now.

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it? I buy my henna from FNWL.

How often do you do your treatments? Weekly

What if anything do you add to your henna? If I'm going for color, ACV. If conditioning only, I add water and coconut or evening primrose oil.

What benefits have you seen in your hair? I love the color, my hair is shiny, strong with minimal breakage. After my next relaxer, I'm thinking about not doing my Aphogee treatment because I think the henna and the protein treatment might be too much for my hair. And henna loosens my newgrowth, helping me with my first ever relaxer stretch.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? About 7 weeks.

What is your hair type? Relaxed 4a/b

ETA ... If I don't airdry in a ponytail and let it airdry loose, my hair dries in about 40-45 minutes.

Last edited:

angellazette

brownsugarflyygirl said:

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it? Fromnaturewithlove.com

How often do you do your treatments? I do them every week or every two weeks if I get lazy.

What if anything do you add to your henna? I add amla powder, ACV, and water. That's it...like you said, all that other stuff is too complicated for me. I use amla and ACV because ACV itself is also beneficial to the hair as it seals cuticles. I use a very small amount of ACV.

What benefits have you seen in your hair? The color! I love the color, my hair was dull and I had greys...now I have a deep reddish tint (no ketchup hair here) and my greys look cranberry in color...I love it! Plus it's given me shine and softness that I didn't have before.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? Since last month sometime.

What is your hair type? 4a natural

Last edited:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Yes I'm relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair. :yep:

I got Jamila from a local indian grocery store.

At least twice a month.

Teas (black and apple cinnamon) with evoo or coconut oil.

More elasticity, stronger strands, shiny hair, pretty color

Four applications in a month and a half. My next one is this weekend.

What is your hair type?
4 a/b

Check the FAQ in Sareca's fotki journal. Jamila is the best baq henna.

--------

I'm a henna newbie. The process seemed overwhelming at first while reading so much information. But I decided to try a simple mix, and I get good results.

I might try amla powder or indigo down the road for a deeper brown. I might also try JLove's idea of adding conditioner or Softresses's routine of adding yogurt.

I think it's fun experimenting with henna.

Last edited:

Mizani_Mrs

Henna for me is definitely worth it. But i am a verrrry simple girl. You don't have to get into all of the extra stuff if you don't want to. Keep it very simple.
  • My mixture involves a few heaping spoonfuls of henna, a few heavy squirts of Vatika(coconut oil) or your fav oil, a few squirts of cheapie conditioner, and a few dabs of water.
  • i mix it so that it is the consistency of a relaxer.
  • I let it sit for maybe 30mins.
  • Then i just glob it on my hair.
  • smush it until it covers all the strands.
  • Let it sit on your hair for 30mins, then rinse out.
  • shampoo & deep cond for 40mins with a moisturizing/detangling conditioner (detangling recommendations: humecto, porosity control, nexxus ensure).

It's simple as that. For me, the benefits of henna is great without adding all of the other stuff. With this, i get strong hair, plus shine which is what my hair is desperately in need of. I do the deep cond afterwards because my hair is difficult to detangle after hennaing. I plan to do this every 3 weeks. If you already feel like your hair is already strong and shiny, then perhaps you don't really need it!

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
brownsugarflyygirl said:
It has taken me 6-months on LHCF to solidify my products and then simplify my regimen. I am now fully natural and my hair is thriving. I am SUPER hesitant to add anything to my regimen....BUT this Henna thing sounds really good but REALLY complicated...People are mixing up coffee, honey, rosewater, ordering from this place and that...It just seems like too much :ohwell:

What is your hair type?

I don't henna myself and I'm not speaking against it BUT...
...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. MHO is that you should stick to your regime and continue to allow your hair to thrive before you try something new. It already takes a ton of effort to solidify a regime that is beneficial and effective. It has only been 6 months. Why mess with it?

HoneyDew

I loved how my hair felt after using Henna but it is too much of a hassle for me. But, that is just me. I just don't have time.

Joico K-pak treatments and other products that I use are just as good.

I think it is good for those that want thicker hair though. I don't need much help with that.

FlawedBeauty

brownsugarflyygirl said:

What brand of Henna do you use?
:) Cassia (Clear henna, because i don't want color)

Where do you get it?
:) hennaforhair.com

:) bout once every 2 weeks

:) water

:) stronger

:) bout 2 months

What is your hair type?
:) fine/thin/wavy

melodee

I am curious as to whether henna stains your shower or sink. Or is that only indigo? I wanna try it, but I am concerned about my bathroom.

preciousjewel76

Hmmm, I might look into the colorless henna. I don't really want to change my haircolor, but I'd love to find out of henna can really strengthen my hair. Bonus: there are Indian markets within walking distance, so I don't have to order online!

Royal Glory

I have used henna before...the translucent kind. And I loved it. I was reading somewhere recently that it isn't good for relaxed hair. I'm concerned about breakage. Has that been a problem for anyone? Also now that I have some grey here and there, it would be nice to have the option to color with henna. I'm not sure I want to color but in the meantime, the translucent was wonderful.

AtlantaJJ

Softresses said:
To me, henna is an extremely useful addition to my haircare, the results outweigh any trouble you go through to do the treatment.

My haircare routine is extremely simple. It consists of

co washing
put hair up
Texturize every 12 weeks or so

My hair has very fine and extremely soft strands. It will not relax bone straight. I used to try to get it to, but I did damage by leaving the relaxer on too long. The hairdressers I went to also left my relaxers on too long, smoothed too much and ended up TOTALLY destroying my hair. I changed relaxers, decided to stop fighting my curly areas, and simply texturize myself to match the texture up.

I kept reading up on henna because I heard that it strenghtened up the hair strands by depositing itself within the strand. So I added it to my routine as a strengthener, I like to do them every few weeks and before and after my texturizer. It makes my hair MEGA STRONG!

My recipe is very simple, you will read about a lot of things people add to henna, most of these things are extra.

What is needed:
Henna
Water
Acid to cause color release (lemon juice, Amla, ACV etc)

Extras I add to do different things are:
Amla, darkens color and provides acid For color release (2 birds 1 stone)
Yogurt, for creaminess and stretches amount for more applications
A few drops of Lavender oil, (for color release and to cut smell of henna)
Gelled pectin, causes mixture to gel, makes easy to apply and clean up
I sometimes leave out yogurt and only use pectin.

I hope this helps

Softresses

ETA; I also do henna gloss sometimes instead of a complete henna, just take henna mix leftovers and add conditioner. Works great!
You and JLove are my henna heros. I have a batch mixed up on the stove right now waiting for me to come home and use it tonight.

Softress, you mentioned that you hair is fine and reslsitant to total straightening. I think I'm in the same boat. I have never been bone straight relaxed and it always took some heat of some kind to get that straight silky look. I never considered that fine hair would be resistant to relaxers. Seems like the opposite would happpen. It's a good point for me to remember as I move foward with my hair care. I am self relaxing so I don't have to worry about anyone jackin my hair up anymore.

I added nutmeg to my mixture. I read it helps take down some of the red in the mixture. I added ACV and water is all so far. It's a pretty chocolate brown color and a nice pancake batter consistancy. I can't WAIT to do my henna. I also have a strand test going on right now. When I get home I'll add the oil and lavendar essental oil, and I guess I'll be ready to roll...:yay:

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

If I may additional questions...

1) Can mixed henna be stored and if so, how and for what length of time

2) How would indigo be incoporated into the henna process to help deepen color. I read where some women with gray hair did a two step process, first the henna and then the next step the do the indigo. I've also read where it could be added directly to the henna mix.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Re: If I may additional questions...

Does henna contain protein?

gymfreak336

brownsugarflyygirl said:

What is your hair type?

I use Dulhan henna, I get for a buck fifty at the indian store

I currently henna about every three weeks.

My henna mix: one box of henna
1/2 cup of alma oil
a splash of strong tea
1/2 cup of ground cloves-helps give me a coppery red highlights and helps the smell
warm water

I apply it to lighty shampooed hair and plop a showercap over my hair. I sit under the dryer for about an hour and then I rinse. I deep condition for another 30mins to an hour and Voila, soft shiny, reddish brown hair:D

My hair is alot stronger and smoother. My hair has more shine but I need to do more treatments before I get the Henna Bling.

My hair type is 4b with a tendency to be really dry.

Henna hints- Don't over do the acid, just a little with warm water is enough to get dye release. I let mine sit for 4-6 hours. Add oil, the henna ladies here recommended this one and it works.

I plan on keeping up my henna treatments. I really think they enhance hair texture and strength. It really isn't much trouble at all and the color I get from it is perfect. Everyone tells me how natural it looks. I had been growing out some color before and it was kinda blondish. That color really made my ends look worse than they were and I was contemplating doing another chop to get them out. The henna has changed the color and made them look so much better. I plan on highlighting my hair in may so that I can keep this henna color up.

gymfreak336

preciousjewel76 said:
Hmmm, I might look into the colorless henna. I don't really want to change my haircolor, but I'd love to find out of henna can really strengthen my hair. Bonus: there are Indian markets within walking distance, so I don't have to order online!

If you just mix it and use it you really won't see a color change. If you let it sit and add acid, you will get dye release. Alot of ladies that just want the conditioning properties just mix it and use it with out waiting. I love the color changes so I let mine sit.

JLove74

AtlantaJJ said:

2) How would indigo be incoporated into the henna process to help deepen color. I read where some women with gray hair did a two step process, first the henna and then the next step the do the indigo. I've also read where it could be added directly to the henna mix.

1. it can be stored, in the freezer or fridge - not sure about how long since I mix up enough for 2 applications, 1 for each week.

2. Sareca henna'd first and then indigo'd. Last week, I mixed some indigo w/henna (mixing the indigo w/hot water, letting it sit for 1 min before adding to henna).

alexstin

melodee said:
I am curious as to whether henna stains your shower or sink. Or is that only indigo? I wanna try it, but I am concerned about my bathroom.

I've used both and haven't had a problem with it staining. I clean the sink after applying the henna/indigo. It also rinses easily off shower tiles.

godzooki

so if you henna and then indigo it's ok to rinse in the shower? It won't stain my backside or or leave streaks down my boobs and such will it? Over the sink is just too problematic and tanglesome and my hair kept going down the garbage disposal (ew!) so I stopped that a while ago but, with dye I was not sure...

gymfreak336

godzooki said:
so if you henna and then indigo it's ok to rinse in the shower? It won't stain my backside or or leave streaks down my boobs and such will it? Over the sink is just too problematic and tanglesome and my hair kept going down the garbage disposal (ew!) so I stopped that a while ago but, with dye I was not sure...

Yeah, go ahead and rinse in the shower. I did that to reduce tangling and I have no stains. When I applied it to my hair and had to wrap it with the plastic, some go on my skin around my hairline. Even with the heat it didn't stain my skin like my other rinses.

Softresses

Hi again ladies,

The henna that is clear is not really Henna, it is Cassia Obavata. It has the same conditioning/strengthening properties as henna does but without the color effect. Some people call it clear henna to keep it simple I suppose.

I have never had a problem with henna dying my bathroom shower/tub or sink. I have never had a problem with it staining my skin badly either. It is what they use to dye the henna tatoos. So I suppose for those with very light skin it could do so. But it would wear off if it did. I have never heard of anyone who had it happen.

Henna that is BODY ART quality is perfectly fine for use with relaxed. chemically treated hair. It is the nonpure henna, mixed with metallic salts that will utterly destroy chemically treated hair. I ordered my last 4 batches from Henna for Hair. I have never experienced any harm from it only good.

JJ, thanks for letting me be one of your henna inspirations. And I am so glad it works for you. :D :D :D It is a trip how fine hair can be so resistant to relaxers isn't it? I used to have to flatiron it if I wanted it bone straight (not good).

BTW; I did a henna job two days ago, before I went out of town. STILL IN LOVE!!!

Softresses

AtlantaJJ

I just put my mix on my hair. It was not a mess at all like I read on some other sites. I put some ground nutmeg in mine and it came out looking just like chocolate pudding!!! and it went on great and smooth. I added a little rose water and I went with almond oil this time around.

I think it's so cool to be able to experiement with different mixtures, tweak a little here and there.... I might decide to go all out red one time. My hair is dark, and it doesn't lighten the hair so it would just add really cool highlights like cellophanes used to.

This is the most fabulous thread! Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Mystic

I do the clear henna and I really love it. It is very easy - just add water - and it leaves my hair shiny and stronger. It also does a pretty good job of cleaning my scalp - no dandruff - and less itching. I don't even scratch my scalp anymore! I normally wash my hair 2X per week and since I started the clear henna every week, my scalp is so clean, tempting me to wash once per week. I have done 4 treatments so far.

It took me a long time to try it because I thought the work required was too much but it takes <2hrs from wash, henna, condition and rollerset. Some people's Sat hair routine takes way longer than that! It would be difficult for me to stop using the clear henna because I see a definite difference in how my hair looks and feels.

Last edited:

Cichelle

So I want to know IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE?? For me, yes.

FNWL or Jamila. The Jamila I got at a local Indian store. FNWL I got from...FNWL. :)

How often do you do your treatments? 2 or 3 times a month.

What if anything do you add to your henna? I like to keep it simple. 200 g henna, 1 tsp pectin (or CA), a few squeezes of conditioner and hot water.

What benefits have you seen in your hair? No more grays. I love the color and my hair is stronger and shinier.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? I think I've done 6 henna treatments so far.

What is your hair type? My hair is curly. I guess it's 3B. Natural.

SohoHair

I'm trying to decide whether to go with Cassia or Henna/Indigo. Ladies who henna, do you notice the color coming off on your clothes, towels, pillowcases at all? That's my biggest worry because I know my grandma used to henna her hair and she said her pillowcases always got a faint red tinge, :perplexed . I know it's supposed to fade but i don't want it fading all over my stuff!

carameldiva

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it? Well let's see i have used Lush caca Marroon Henna. Then i purchased Chestnut henna from www.thehennacompany.com ( almost done with that ). Then i purchased 1000g of henna from a seller on ebay who resides in india( can't wait to try it). His seller id is evergreen.

How often do you do your treatments? weekly

What if anything do you add to your henna? hot water, ground amalaki powder, Fo-ti powder, ground cloves, red wine, honey

What benefits have you seen in your hair? Strength and color ( more like hi-lites)- Stopped shedding and breakage in it's tracks.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments? about 8 weeks now

What is your hair type? 3c/4a

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful? I absolutely love it. Last week i mixed in indigo in my treatment and i have some amla powder that i will add once my amalaki powder is gone. I love it and will continue forever. My hair loves it and the color is fantastic. I absolutely reccommend it.

Last edited:

carameldiva

AtlantaJJ said:

1. Henna can be stored in the refrigerator for 7 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.

2. I used indigo last week. What i did was mix the henna first and wait til the dye released. then i prepared my indigo mix and mixed it into my henna mix and then i applied it to my hair.