I'm an old behind cradle cap sufferer :( HELP!!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
How do I find the pics? It sounds like I have the same exact thing. I'm thinking the no lye relaxer may be the culprit. I just switched to lye and my scalp isn't forming the scabby scaly thingies anymore. Is the overall texture of your scalp kind of hard. Mine is almost like anything I put on my scalp sticks to it. It's weird, and kind of hard to describe. But I can pull the scab along a hair strand too. I'm glad you posted this. I've had this problem for about five years and cut my hair an inch all over be eventually I had thinning spots. Mine is mainly in the crown area and sometimes it burns and itchy.

It seemed to have stopped when I taking liquid flaxseed oil. If starting doing fish oil. I just haven't mustered up the courage to start back on that liquid flaxseed, but i am. Neosporin help to. Jamaican black castor oil helped but only for a little while. Thanks again for posting this at least i know I'm not alone.
The pics are on the first page, a few posts down. If you can't see them, let me know and I will give you the link and password to my fotki album that they are in.

nomoweavesfome

My hubby has the same problem! Especially after a cut, the more you pick at it, the faster it comes back! Poo's, oils, nothing seems to help...

I'm sayin!! and I would be pickin at it in public, but I'll get real close almost like I'm about to kiss him so people can't realy see what I'm doing to save him from embarrassment, and I know people must think - aawww she must really love her husband she's all into him!! lol

I know- so sad

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
The pics are on the first page, a few posts down. If you can't see them, let me know and I will give you the link and password to my fotki album that they are in.

OMG!!! That is the same thing I have. Thanks for the pics. Continue to keep us posted. I hope we can all get help for whatever the heck that is.

yellow08

Thank you OP for posting this!!! I have the same problem and was getting worried about how to fix it! I was messing in my hair today and noticed it on my sides!
I didn't realize I shouldn't pick at it, no wonder I was left w/a small bald spot...

Ms.Honey

:shocked: I used this a few days ago when I wore a fake ponytail!! I sprayed water in my hair and put the glaze on. I didn't mix it with anything else though. I'm going to put some glaze in my hair tonight to see if I get another one. After I peeled it off, it's trying to form another one. I can see the dryness/patchyness forming on the same exact spot.

How did your Elasta QP Glaze experiment turn out?
I'm thinking they've changed the formula or something because I used it alone and it's peeling again:perplexed I'm gonna try it again with NO product at all. It could be mixing with something else like my conditioner and not just causing the allergic reaction with the JAM.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
How did your Elasta QP Glaze experiment turn out?
I'm thinking they've changed the formula or something because I used it alone and it's peeling again:perplexed I'm gonna try it again with NO product at all. It could be mixing with something else like my conditioner and not just causing the allergic reaction with the JAM.
I didn't do the experiment yet- I'll do it in the morning and come back and let you know what happened. BUT I can say that I've kept that area of my scalp moisturized with Coconut Oil. I did a few drops on the area and massaged it in. I haven't had any flakes since! The dry skin that I had that I hadn't peeled at the time I took the pics has flaked off in small pieces and my scalp has been clear- hopefully it stays that way.

I went to the BSS and got some tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and a bottle of essential oil (there's lots of essential oils in it) I have yet to use them though because I've been under the weather and the last thing I wanted to do was hair.:ohwell: My last relaxer was 12/23/08, so I'm gonna leave the relaxer alone for awhile longer. I can't wait until I feel better because I want to do an Aphogee treatment.

Juliagizzle

I had one spot on the right side of my scalp that was doing that. It was like a little larger than a quarter and flaked up so bad. I had no clue why it was itching until I rubs my finger on my scalp and felt the scaliest lump. I picked and picked until I thought my whole scalp was going to be lifted of my head. I got sick looking at the huge pice of leathery skin that came off my head! I recently did an overnight baggie with
honey
Flaxseed oil
Cranberry oil
Neem oil
Borage oil
Wheat germ oil
Rosehip oil
Carrot oil
Comfrey olive oil
Aloe vera
Castor oil
Coconut oil
2 cloves garlic
blended

I kept dreaming I was in olive garden but after i shampooed next day, the itching and flaking was gone. It felt soothing

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I had one spot on the right side of my scalp that was doing that. It was like a little larger than a quarter and flaked up so bad. I had no clue why it was itching until I rubs my finger on my scalp and felt the scaliest lump. I picked and picked until I thought my whole scalp was going to be lifted of my head. I got sick looking at the huge pice of leathery skin that came off my head! I recently did an overnight baggie with
honey
Flaxseed oil
Cranberry oil
Neem oil
Borage oil
Wheat germ oil
Rosehip oil
Carrot oil
Comfrey olive oil
Aloe vera
Castor oil
Coconut oil
2 cloves garlic
blended

I kept dreaming I was in olive garden but after i shampooed next day, the itching and flaking was gone. It felt soothing
Yeah, I figure I'd combine some of the oils together and see how that works for me. Isn't it crazy though... it's nasty, but you keep peeling. And yes, it's just like a piece of leather... bendable, but it's thick- like leather.:spinning: I saw carrot and castor oils... I may pick them up too.

Did you read about that mix somewhere or did you just try it to see how it would work for you?

crlsweetie912

My sis has this. And yes I used to brush/scrape her scalp all the time. She used the Nizoral shampoo and it really helped. She's lazy/cheap and doesn't use it now. She keeps her hair really short, and no matter what she does, she has these peelies. Freshly shampooed hair=peelies, fresh relaxer=peelies, dirty hair=peelies no matter what. I wonder if the Nizoral would work....
And hers is WORSE than yours....

Juliagizzle

I research different oils and just experiment. I just added the garlic yesterday because i read it helped with shedding growth and itchy flaky scalp. It felt soothing overnight i just kept waking up thinking somebody was cooking food because of the garlic lol. I didn't use a whole lot but i concentrated it on the itchy spots and the spot where the patch was. I had no idea that was cradle cap though. And the picking was getting to be addicting.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I was just going to suggest Neem. You can make a paste of neem powder, tulsi powder, amla powder with water and apply to the scalp all over. It will make all your hair very soft. Neem and tulsi are anti-bacterial/anti-fungal. Amla is a megadose of vitamin c and strengthens the scalp and follicles. It won't dry your hair out at all and it's very soothing. Leave it on for an hour then rinse out. And resist picking! I know it can be difficult, esp. if your have obsessive compulsive disorder like I do lolol!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I research different oils and just experiment. I just added the garlic yesterday because i read it helped with shedding growth and itchy flaky scalp. It felt soothing overnight i just kept waking up thinking somebody was cooking food because of the garlic lol. I didn't use a whole lot but i concentrated it on the itchy spots and the spot where the patch was. I had no idea that was cradle cap though. And the picking was getting to be addicting.
Yup, when babies get this same exact ailment, it's called Cradle Cap. But when adults get it, we don't have a name for it... or I haven't heard of one as of yet. It's not Seb. dermatitis because that oozes and stinks and is yellowish I believe. What I had/have is super dry, itchy sometimes, and has peelable dry skin. The good thing is that the Nizorol, Selsun Blue, Sulfur 8, and the poo prescribed for seb. derm. works for whatever this is- I've been there and done all of those products. I just want it to stay away though... those poos take care of the problem, but it comes right back in a few days.

SoAnxious12

i have an oily scalp, but when my mom relaxed me with Affirm.. i started to get those dry spatch scabs on my crown area. When we moved from jersey to maryland it stopped, even though we were using the same realxer still. Now that i've been natural (few years) i havent experienced it at all.
I think it might be from harsh water and maybe caked up chemicals... like residue or something?
I don't think you should pick at it... i know you wanna ... but don't!

Everything Zen

I have struggled with dandruff and cradle/cap like that for years. A lot of it is ongoing stress. Ever since I joined the forum I have just gotten into a routine of washing my hair several times a week and it's helped out tremendously. I'm having trouble wearing cute hairstyles though because of it. It seems that I can only stand it for 5 days and then my scalp flares up horribly. Shikakai oil helps. Also I'm revisiting Head and Shoulders with Pyrithium Zinc which suggests using it at least 2 times a week. One thing I noticed is when I rollerset under a drier on high heat my scalp would completely dry out. I know how much "fun" it can be to pick off those huge scales but maybe if you use an oil like coconut, olive, etc. on it they will slide off better so you don't retain quite the satisfaction of scraping them up like that (believe me, I think I shuddered looking at those pictures- not disgusted but I wish I was the one with the comb in my hand). Another thing, when you do wash your hair make sure your rinse your scalp extra well. I often get that on my lower back of the head and I think that not rinsing well enough in the area might be part of the problem (especially with shampoos). Lately, I have also been avoiding putting conditioners on my scalp and using a relaxer brush to "paint" it on my hair only. With shampoos I try to mainly focus on the scalp and let the runoff cleanse the hair. I hope it gets better for you.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Have you found any suggestions that have worked for you yet?
I haven't tried anything new yet because I've been sick and didn't feel like doing my hair. My last wash was on 2/20, so I'm due again to wash. I used coconut oil so far, just putting a few drops on the affected areas and rubbing it into my scalp and then putting my hair into a finger-combed loose bun. Since then, my scalp hasn't formed any dry patches. The dry patches that were there that I didn't peel have flaked off into smaller pieces and I just pull them out of my hair when I see them. I hate flakes in my hair, so that's REALLY why I'm willing to wash again eventhough I still feel crappy. I'll be washing my hair tonight.

Fine 4s

ATTENTION:: This may gross some people out, so you may want to leave now.

Okay, so I just pulled out the world's biggest dry patch of dead skin in the world off of my scalp. Anyway, I literally picked up one side of the patch with my nail and began to peel it to the other side. I had to take a rat tail comb and go under the skin to pull my hairs out to be able to continue to pull it without breaking it. I took pics, but I will only show them IF people seriously want to see them to help me to give suggestions. anyway, the piece of dead skin was almost 1 inch wide. I took a pic of it next to a ruler as well as while I was taking it off of my scalp.

I extremely dry hair and I don't have an oily scalp, so I don't think it's not Seborrheic dermatitis, because it doesn't ooze or anything like I've read about. It's not dandruff either. It doesn't stink and it's not yellow, reddish, or greenish either- it's tan. It doesn't come off wet either, it come off dry. Like when your skin is peeling and you pull the skin off. The skin under the dead skin is normal scalp. Also, this only happens at the front of my head about an inch from my hairline. I have no idea why this happens. Does anyone have a remedy?

Last time I had a flare up- a few years ago, I was prescribed a special shampoo that worked- but it's so expensive for a small bottle. I need a remedy for this mess. :( I'd be ever so greatful if someone could help me.

The only time I had something like this was when I went to the Bahamas with cornrows and got a SERIOUS tan! When I went to the DR salon to wash, I notice the severe dandruff-like stuff on my scalp. When I scratch that small section, it's as if I set off a forest fire all kinds of other flakes were coming up I mean BIG patches. It was gross and embarrassing. That never happened to me before. In any case a couple of washes later my new scalp was gone...

If you're permed what kind of perm do you use, lye or no-lye?

Fine 4s

I'd experienced that for years. (And I don't want to gross you out, but...) MN cleared it up for me. I tried it as a growth aid, and it cleared my scalp up after a few days. I used a tube a couple of years ago, and I haven't had to use it since.

Another member posted about MN clearing up her cradle cap too.

Yep, thinking the same thing...

Allandra

I haven't tried anything new yet because I've been sick and didn't feel like doing my hair. My last wash was on 2/20, so I'm due again to wash. I used coconut oil so far, just putting a few drops on the affected areas and rubbing it into my scalp and then putting my hair into a finger-combed loose bun. Since then, my scalp hasn't formed any dry patches. The dry patches that were there that I didn't peel have flaked off into smaller pieces and I just pull them out of my hair when I see them. I hate flakes in my hair, so that's REALLY why I'm willing to wash again eventhough I still feel crappy. I'll be washing my hair tonight.

I read (on this board) that coconut oil works for some, so hopefully it'll work for you too.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I read (on this board) that coconut oil works for some, so hopefully it'll work for you too.
It sure has so far... shoot maybe that IS my remedy. I haven't had any problems with it since I applied it and massaged it into my scalp. I have an itchy, sore scalp now- it gets that way when I REALLY need a touchup.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
The only time I had something like this was when I went to the Bahamas with cornrows and got a SERIOUS tan! When I went to the DR salon to wash, I notice the severe dandruff-like stuff on my scalp. When I scratch that small section, it's as if I set off a forest fire all kinds of other flakes were coming up I mean BIG patches. It was gross and embarrassing. That never happened to me before. In any case a couple of washes later my new scalp was gone...

If you're permed what kind of perm do you use, lye or no-lye?
It IS embarrassing... a long time ago when I had it, I would put my hair back into a ponytail and my hairline in the middle-front was white- just like cradle cap on a baby. I would take a fine-toothed comb and scratch it out and apply oil, water and ELasta QP Glaze thinking that would keep it from caking up again. It wouldn't work. I don't know what stopped it, but it stopped. That was just this past summer and I was washing my hair everyday or every other day and air-drying.

I use Affirm, my hairdresser applies it. I'm not sure if it's lye or not... I've been getting the same kind for so long, I don't even remember.

JJamiah

I am so happy OP you posted this my kids grandma had a reaction to a Hair color and got medication for it but here it is a year later and she too is suffering from adult Cradle Cap. I will forward her all these suggestions and if you find something that works please let me know. :)

JJamiah

DD had a really horrid case of CC..I used the coconut oil and brush out method..but i remember having really big dry patches in my head some years ago..i believe i had a bad reaction to some jazzing hair rinse...
have you done anything recently to your hair? chemicals ect?

How did you get your scalp back to normal? seems like the a milder version of what my kids grandma got, she was oozing but her scalp now is not back to normal almost a year later if not more than a year!

glamazon386

I used to get patches like this too but when I started using sulfate free shampoos they went away. I would see them right around my hairline.

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
how is your scalp now? did the coconut oil work?
Thanks for asking! :) Yes, it did work for me. I applied the oil and left it alone. The huge flakes came out by themselves and I haven't had this problem since I started this thread! Thank you so much for helping me ladies!

southerncitygirl

neem oil as a pre-poo cause its stinky lol. lavender essential oil diluted in a carrier oil(coconut, olive, etc) will help to heal and soothe your scalp. Natural hair products are best cause the synthetic stuff could be making it worse. no beeswax, sulfates,mineral oil, parabens,lanolin, or petroleum missy,lol.

Blaque*Angel

glad coconut oil worked for you hairapy :up:
thats what i tell everyone's child with cradle cap to use, they do with success :)

NaturalBoss

I am just recovering from what I think was cradle cap???? I used a Jason Tea Tree shampoo (there's more than one, but I used the more expensive one) and also used plain old Tea Tree oil. My scalp/crown is almost completely free of flakes now. I am so happy!!!!!

Phoenix14

That's great Hairapy! I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to try pre-pooing with Neem (have to buy it somewhere) and just daily or every other day using coconut oil on my scalp