(HELP!) My Aunt Has "Cradle Cap!"

LDebagoria

Last time my cousin had ringworm, now my aunt's having trouble with cradle cap, or so she calls it. I figure what better place to ask for solutions than here?

I know that this isn't contagious, but what can she do to help it? She's had it all of her life off and on, and it's re-appearing! In some places she's balding! She doesn't drink any water, and no matter how much I try to impress upon her how important this is, she always forgets!
Besides that, what topical things can she use? She's almost to the point of going to the stylist that chopped all of MY hair off, b/c my other Aunt is trying to convince her that this stylist can "set her right." Mind you this Aunt has had her hair kept "Halle Short" by this stylist until about a year ago!

I just don't wanna see my Auntie go bald! :eek:

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Tell your aunt to shampoo her hair more and that will clear up the cradle cap. Sound like she just have to keep the scalp clean. It is not a form of ringworm at all.

What are the signs and symptoms of cradle cap?
Cradle cap is characterised by greasy, yellow scaly patches over the scalp. In some cases a thick scaly layer may cover the whole scalp. Over time the scales may become flaky and rub off easily. The condition is usually not itchy and in most cases babies are unaware of the problem.

What is the treatment for cradle cap?
Treatment of cradle cap is with mild baby shampoos. The scalp should be washed regularly and this along with soft brushing should help to remove the scales. Some people advocate the use of a baby oil or mineral oil (but not olive oil as this encourages proliferation of malassezia). Small amounts rubbed on the affected areas may help to soften the scales, which can then be more easily removed.

If the cradle cap doesn't improve with frequent washing or if the rash spreads to other areas, your doctor may prescribe a medicated shampoo containing ketoconazole. and hydrocortisone cream for any inflamed or reddened areas.

sky_blu

Cradle cap is not ringworms but usually babies get it. Cradle cap is basically dry patches usually found on the back on the head. What I did to clear my daughters up was Sulfur 8 grease and time.

Stormy

Yeah Sulfer 8. Also, Glovers Mane mixed with some type of grease or oil is also good. My mother used to use this years ago on my brother's or sister's head. Cleared it right up.

senimoni

I think she may be referring to sebhorreic dermatitis. She needs to go to the derm and get a prescription.

ThursdayGirl

senimoni said:
I think she may be referring to sebhorreic dermatitis. She needs to go to the derm and get a prescription.

I agree with this.... Adults don't get cradle cap... but they do get this and more infrequently psoriasis

LDebagoria

ThursdayGirl said:
I agree with this.... Adults don't get cradle cap... but they do get this and more infrequently psoriasis

Thanks ladies! This is probably what she means.

I put the part about ringworm 'cause I tell ya', my family always has scalp thangs goin' on! I guess this is test time for my do! :lol:

I used to have this problem, but for some reason it just went away. I went to the derm about it and he gave me a perscription for a steroid cream to put on the area (at first I had it all over my scalp, but then it diminished to small patches near the hairline). But I was a little weary of using a steroid cream on my scalp, plus the derm warned me about getting the cream on my face and causing breakouts, so I never filled the prescription.

When I moved to NY, I frequented the dominican salon every week religiously. And when I did, I always had this problem. I decreased my visits to the salon and started taking my own shampoo and conditioner. I went back to the salon and had a blowout and when I left there, my scalp was white (no lie). I realized that the rinse they were using for my hair may have had formaldehyde in it and was drying out my scalp and causing the psoriasis to return. Since then, I get a blow out less often, and when I do I take all my own products to the salon, including my own rinse(for some reason the stylist at my salon feel your hair is not soft and combable with conditioner alone and rinse must be used before they comb and set it).

I also noticed when I reduced using heat, and started taking fish oil, and drinking water more, it completely went away. This was a year and a half ago. My dermatologist (who is black) told me it was fairly common amongst African Americans and for black women can be exasperated by all the products we use in our hair. He himself suffers from it occasionally.

I know this may not help, but I hope it's informative.