DRY SCALP HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!

trendsetta25

Hello Ladies,
I pm'd some members with hopes that they can solve my problem. While I'm waiting for their replies I'm turning to you all for advice. I'm on Accutane... Accutane is a form of vitamin A. It reduces the amount of oil released by oil glands in your skin, and helps your skin renew itself more quickly. Accutane is used to treat severe nodular acne. It is usually given after other acne medicines or antibiotics have been tried without successful treatment of symptoms.) I've been on it for almost a month. One of the most common side effects while taking this drug is dry skin...for me dry everything (eyes, nose, ears, mouth, lips, skin, and most importantly scalp).

Ive found ways to keep the skin on my body (including my eyes and lips) moisturized but can seem to find a way to keep my scalp moisturized. I currently am wearing a weave as a protective style for the winter so it will be hard for me to apply a lot of oil to my scalp because it will weigh down my install. I've tried applying castor oil, peppermint oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, my glycerin mix that has all previous oils mentioned in a spray bottle and nothing has helped. My scalp would be moisturized after i apply it at night and i would wake up with dry itchy scalp.:wallbash:

Do you guys have any suggestions??????????????

PS. i drink almost 10-12 glasses of water daily and also take flaxseed, fish oil, biotin, and b-complex as vitamins.

TIA

TeeWhyAre

AVOCADO! put it in a food processor, make it all nice and smooth and apply. A little goes a loooong way.

i made a mix of avocado (yeah, the fruit), coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, cocoa butter (food grade w/ nothing added from whole foods), and raw organic unrefined shea butter. I mixed em in a food processor until it was nice and smooth and my hair is crazy soft and moisturized.

it's good for hair and body.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Being that you're on accutane you may have no relief at all from that dryness until you're finished with treatment. Though its good that you're doing all those things, some people do have terrible side effects.

If you moisturize at night, do it again in the morning. Not sure how long you have to go*hopefully not too long* but that may help. Also, aloe vera can help with some of the itchy and dryness on the scalp as well. You may do well to keep a bottle of rose water and glycerin in your bag so that you can use it throughout the day. Both are good for dryness.

Try to stay away from anything alcohol based especially on your scalp, as that will make your dryness issue worse. Also, look at what you're using for shampoos. Switch to a less drying one without harsh SLS in it as it can be very irritating, and if you are not DCing once a week with something very moisturizing, it may be time to do so.

I wish you lots of luck! Accutane sucks to the high heaven.

ETA: if the dryness becomes unbearable, it would be worth talking to your doctor about it.

-A