How do you use coconut oil?

Hey ladies, hope your friday's awesome! :yawn:

Anyways just a quick q this time: how do you use coconut oil in your hair? My hair's relaxed, but do you use it as a sealant? Or a moisturizer? Right now I moisturize with aloe vera juice + water + honey and seal with coconut oil, but I don't think coconut oil is heavy enuff. Hmm...What do you ladies do? Vaseline works wonders as a seal, but I want to use up this coconut oil I have. So what should I use it for??

MrsHaseeb

I'm natural. Coconut oil makes my hair crunchy so I use it as a prepoo only.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

bebezazueta

Relaxed head here. I agree coconut oil wasn't heavy enough for sealing for me so I use it in my Ayurvedic concoctions. Brahmi and amla oil. And furthermore I use these herbal infusions in my DCs. Talk about moisturized hair. I'm doing an overnite DC right now with my brahmi oil mixed in with all these conditioners I'm trying to use up.

Oh and I oil my scalp with it prior to my relaxer.

HTH!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Didn't really work as a sealer but provides great shine for the hair.

I love it on my face. Nice moisturizer.

Sent from my DROIDX

kupenda

I'm relaxed. I use it to prepoo, oil rinse, I add it to my conditioners and shampoo, and I use it on my face

ETA: And it really good with shine
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Apply to Previously Relaxed Hair before Relaxing. Sometimes I'll use it as a HOT under a Heat Cap or underneath my Wig.

yorkpatties

Transitioning.

I typically use it as a prepoo and this week I mixed it with my DC after my cowash. My hair felt so soft and silky with no tangles.

Tiye

Hey ladies, hope your friday's awesome! :yawn:

Anyways just a quick q this time: how do you use coconut oil in your hair? My hair's relaxed, but do you use it as a sealant? Or a moisturizer? Right now I moisturize with aloe vera juice + water + honey and seal with coconut oil, but I don't think coconut oil is heavy enuff. Hmm...What do you ladies do? Vaseline works wonders as a seal, but I want to use up this coconut oil I have. So what should I use it for??

How about combining coconut oil with vaseline?

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm natural. I use it as a pre-poo, massage oil, to seal on damp hair when I want to do an 'out' style, and for sheen on 'out' or protective styles.

regina07

I'm natural.

EVCO doesn't work well with my hair as a sealer, plus my nose can't stand the smell. Great added to my DC or oil rinse oils tho'.

anartist4u2001

i mixe some EV Coconut oil with some Organic Unrefined Shea Butter. then i like whip them up into like a cream. i use that has my leave in. i freakin' love it!!!!

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Relaxed. I use it to seal after moisturizing for my pin curls. I don't want weighed down pin curls with no bounce so it works for me.

Also use it as a protectant for previously relaxed ends before a relaxer.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

GaiasDaughter24

As a prepoo/detangler. I saturate my hair in it, let it sit for an hour or so and then finger detangle, removing as much shed hair as possible. Once I move on to conditioning detangling with a comb is a breeze.

KurlyNinja

Natural Here. I use it as a sealant in the summer only. But I also rub it into my skin when I take a shower. It leaves my skin nice and moisturized.

iri9109

Im natural and I use it as a prepoo and immediately after washing my hair...I also put some some on my ends every night when my hair is straight.

niqu92

relaxed

i was on the mission to find castor oil but couldnt find any so i bought some coconut oil and jojoba oil yesterday, mixed it together, oiled my scalp with it and sealed my hair. my newgrowth is soft and it made the rest of my hair shiny and soft also so im going to oil my scalp and seal with it everyday from now on

Bun Mistress

Texlax and I use it for everything including in an oil mix when I want something heavier. I couldn't use this a few years ago at all. It can make your haie temporairy "hard" in the cold but this is short lived and usually right after I put it on. I like how strong it makes my hair feel.
I did use EVCO but now I use oil Darbur.

Ivonnovi

Natural here that has sparsley populated fine hair, with Sisterlocks.

I use it or grapeseed oils for "slippage/lubrication" when doing my re-tightenings. I usually wash once the process is complete.

Also, periodicaly I flatiron my locs (with a steam flat iron). I add the oil to my hair during this process too.

Last edited: