If you use Coconut Oil I need your help

**WonderWoman**

Hello friends:

My hair has been feeling pretty dry and rough lately. Last night, I raided my products closest and came up with my ayuverdic coconut oil. I put on a dab and woke up to soft, shiny hair. I'd like to keep doing this, but I wanna hear from the gurus out there.

Do you use coconut oil as your moisturizer or sealant. I'd like to keep my routine really simple so I'm thinking about using coconut oil as my moisturizer. Yay or Nay? :ohwell:

danigurl18

I use it as sealant... I moisturize with my spritz and seal with coconut oil.. It really helps keep my hair moisturized!

SmilingElephant

If you really wanna amp up the effects...use shea butter and then seal with the coconut oil....i'm loving the Vatika coconut oil.

kortnilynn

I was turned on to coconut oil when I was still wearing a relaxer and it didn't do much for me then. Now that I am going natural again, I have a much greater appreciation for it and use it regularly on my ends and sometimes I put a little bit on my scalp (not sure if that is recommended but I like it especially when I do straighten my hair. I only use a tad bit on my scalp because once it touches your skin it really gets slick and you don't want to be shiny! lol)

Denise11

I use it to seal.

Hey! I didn't know that you can use it as a moisturizer. Is that really true? Is it a moisturizer too?

Eisani

:yep: Coconut oil is one of very few that can actually be used as a moisturizer because it can penetrate the hair shaft, not just coat it like others.

Denise11

Thanks Darlingdiva and Eisani, and shtow!!! I had no idea that I could moisturize with it. Now I can cut down on a lot of products.

Last edited:

**WonderWoman**

Wow! Thanks for the overwhelming response. I think I'm gonna keep using it as a moisturizer. This stuff is incredible. I can't believe I dumped it at the back of my product closet.

I can definitely vouch for its moisturizing benefit. It instantly smoothed out my dry, rough strands. I also noticed how well it detangles and I can comb with little to no breakage. Did I mention how shiny my hair is? Thanks guys!!!!!!

shtow

Thanks Darlingdiva and Eisani, and shtow!!! I had no idea that I could moisturize with it. Now I can cut down on a lot of products.
:yep: Its the best product ever!!! I use it to moisturize my hair, skin, feet (works wonders), take off my make up, moisturize my face over night, it even eliminated my cats flea and tick problem she picked up being around another cat. Coconut oil is heaven sent!!!

RocStar

Just wanted to add that I am relaxed and I use it for everything. I think you have to just try it and see if it will work for your hair as a moisturizer. It works great for me!

I AM...

I heart COCONUT OIL!!! My Mom put me on to it a while ago while frying chicken with it!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked:

I'm so serious. I use it for all-things-moisturization. It is my summer body mositurizer. Shea in the winter. I love the smell and I use it in all my DCs as well. Enjoy!!:lick:

danigurl18

If you really wanna amp up the effects...use shea butter and then seal with the coconut oil....i'm loving the Vatika coconut oil.

I think I'm going to try this.. I can't find Vatika in my local Indian store.. only Amla and that stuff stinks to the high heavens :lachen:

Cleve_gryl

A lil dab of coconut oil adds shine and moisture for days!! I :love: it too!! I've also started using EVCO on my face and body. :yep:

:yep: Coconut oil is one of very few that can actually be used as a moisturizer because it can penetrate the hair shaft, not just coat it like others.

Precisely. It's the reason why you can put it on one night, and not wake up the next morning dripping and greasy :blush:. Coconut Oil is the only moisturizer I use. At least every other day on my ends. Good stuff.

lilsparkle825

Is there any other oils that moisturize? Not just make your hair soft, but really moisturize.
I heard avocado oil, but I have never tried it.

OT: I just moisturized my hair with coconut oil and a touch of jojoba oil. It's still straightened from the length check. BLING outta this world!!!

msa

Is there any other oils that moisturize? Not just make your hair soft, but really moisturize.

Coconut, olive, and avocado oils have all been proven to penetrate the hair strand. If I can find the link I'll post it in this thread.

I wouldn't say that any of the oils moisturize though. Water is the only thing that can truly provide moisture. But, the oils do nourish the hair so they are kind of like conditioners.

Anyway, I know some people say avocado is too greasy. And I've read that coconut and olive work well together (there was a scientific explanation but I don't remember it), so you may want to try a mix of the two. But pay close attention to your hair to make sure it's not getting dried out. Some people survive well with just oils (like me) and some people need water first and then oil. It just depends on the head.

Denise11

I heard avocado oil, but I have never tried it.

OT: I just moisturized my hair with coconut oil and a touch of jojoba oil. It's still straightened from the length check. BLING outta this world!!!

Thanks so much! Now I may have to get some avacado oil.

Denise11

Thanks so much for this. I guess I'll have to stick with coconut oil. I can't handle the greasiness of olive oil, so I guess avacado oil will be too heavy too. I'm glad you mentioned this before I went out and bought some.

Coconut, olive, and avocado oils have all been proven to penetrate the hair strand. If I can find the link I'll post it in this thread.

I wouldn't say that any of the oils moisturize though. Water is the only thing that can truly provide moisture. But, the oils do nourish the hair so they are kind of like conditioners.

Anyway, I know some people say avocado is too greasy. And I've read that coconut and olive work well together (there was a scientific explanation but I don't remember it), so you may want to try a mix of the two. But pay close attention to your hair to make sure it's not getting dried out. Some people survive well with just oils (like me) and some people need water first and then oil. It just depends on the head.

marla

I use it when my NG gets going and I need a heavier oil. I mix it with LTR and my hair loves it! I've got it on right now!