What Oil Do You Use

vtoodler

After moisturizing your hair, what oil do you use to seal your hair (ie--castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc)?

Why did you choose that particular oil, and did you try any others before it? (Was it trial and error)

Finally, do you think that wheat germ oil would make a good sealant? I know that it goes rancid quickly, but I hear that it's loaded with nutrients that's supposed to be good for the hair.

Lissa0821

I use a mixture of 2 part sunflower oil, 1 part castor oil and 1 part grapeseed oil. It is perfect me since I have fine hair. It doesn't weigh down my hair at all.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Right now I'm using Mixed Oils to Seal. I've been using:

Hairveda Avosoya Oil
Hairveda Cocosta Oil
Hydratherma Naturals Growth Oil
Enso Naturals Marshmallow & Moss Serum
Pure Argan Oil

*Don't use Wheat Germ Oil too often, but I have it*

Austro-Afrikana

I use castor oil because it is thick, so I feel it is definitely coating my hair, and it makes my hair so soft. I think the thickness of the oil also helps prevent SSKs because the hairs are well lubricated and there is less chance of snagging, matting and tangling.

13StepsAhead

Rice bran oil
coconut oil or Vatika frosting
Grapeseed oil
almond oil
JBCO

These are the oils that I have in my stash and I actually like them all. I like wheat germ oil too, but I have all of these oils so I will not re-purchase until I use at least 2 or 3 of these up.

Mische

The first oil I used was Africa's Best Carrot Tea Tree Oil. The smell was terrible though and it was heavy on my fine strands. Last summer thanks to LHCF, I discovered the joys of coconut oil and haven't looked back. It is so light and gives the perfect amount of shine. I now use Vatika Frosting (coconut oil based with lemon, amla and henna extracts) or unrefined coconut oil to seal.

PJaye

I use castor oil because it is thick, so I feel it is definitely coating my hair, and it makes my hair so soft. I think the thickness of the oil also helps prevent SSKs because the hairs are well lubricated and there is less chance of snagging, matting and tangling.

I agree. For me, thick oils have proven to be the most effective at retaining moisture, and reducing SSKs and split ends despite having fine hair.

My current sealant consists of a large Castor base mixed with equal parts of Sunflower, Sesame, Almond & Hemp Seed. I also tried sealing with Hairveda’s Cocasta Shikakai Oil since it is thick and has a nice aroma, but switched to using it as an additive in my DCs.

My hair dislikes it when I use EVCO & EVOO as sealants. The best way to figure out what types of oils your hair likes, if any, is through trial and error (I suggest trying one for at least a month before drawing any conclusions and sampling another).

JJamiah

My latest love is Buriti Oil and I love to use this one because it is weightless and I don't feel like my hair is greasy and weighed down. :)

Iluvsmuhgrass

I like WGHO (scalp) and castor oil to seal on damp/wet hair. I like coconut oil (it's ok) for the summer but there are times when I need something heavier for my grass. I discovered by accident because I had run out of evoo. :lol: Best oil ever! And since it's so heavy, a little goes a very long way.

AlliCat

Vatika oil to seal. I like it because it absorbs into my hair as opposed to making it greasy. It was definitely trial and error. I tried EVOO and didn't like it. I also tried Jojoba (too light) and JBCO (too heavy). I think Vatika oil is a happy medium. I still want to try Kemi Oyl, grapeseed and EVCO though :)

Sometimes I even use serums to seal like CHI Silk Infusion or One n Only argan oil. These leave me with more moisturized hair. I rotate my sealants a lot lol but right now I'm loving Vatika oil.

ChristmasCarol

I alternate oils - my hair likes 'em all. Sometimes grapeseed or safflower. Sometimes coconut, olive, jojoba or walnut oil. I don't use leave-ins, I just wash and use oil on naked hair while it's still wet.

eta: ITA with AlliCat regarding castor oil- it's too heavy and just thinking about it makes me wanna gag, lol.

Last edited:

krissyprissy

I have went back to Vatika oil recently. The other oils I have are ok but for some reason my hair loves this stuff. It goes on smooth and it doesn't dry out my hair. I find that it works best for sealing when protective styling. If I wear my hair down then I prefer to use a lighter oil such as Argan.

ChristmasCarol

My latest love is Buriti Oil and I love to use this one because it is weightless and I don't feel like my hair is greasy and weighed down. :)

JJamiah

Girl, you've piqued my interest - I'm a PJ and not ashamed to admit it :)

1. What's it made of?
2. What effect does it give? Shine, manageability, etc.
3. Most importantly, where can I find this here Buriti Oil?

MsLi@512

I oil rinse with olive oil- detangling issues are long gone, prepoo and seal with coconut oil and apply castor oil to the scalp weekly. My reggie is oil heavy!