How do you know when you need to clarify?

deidrerod

I just started my journey about a month and a half ago and do not use any cones, or sulfates and use the LOC method. I've been using Wen 613 for the past 4 or 5 weeks (I only wash weekly) and yesterday when I washed my hair I noticed it felt slightly 'coated'. I wasn't sure if that's what moisturized hair feels like :perplexed so I went on with my routine as usual. I came out the shower and did the LOC method with water, grapeseed oil and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. When my hair dried I noticed it still had that 'coated' feeling and my shrinkage was ALOT more than what its been in the past few weeks (i'm between 3b/3c) and also my curls weren't springy and light.....they were like tightly coiled and.....kinda hard/heavy? Hard to describe but alot different than they were in the first few weeks of starting this regimine. Could this mean I need to clarify? I guess I'm confused cause I thought if you weren't using cones and used natural products you wouldn't need to clarify so soon - same people really never clarify so I'm confused as to whether its even a necessary step. I also use the same method and products on my daughter as well and she has that coated feeling too though not AS coated as me if that makes sense - she is prob like 4a/4b. Any recommendations of what I'm doing wrong or something I should add would be greatly appreciated. If some of you feel like maybe I should clarify can you please recommend a shampoo for me? I brought Suave's Daily Clarifying but am afraid it may be a bit too drying for us.

It's time to clarify, too much product on your hair. I cowash most of the time but I clarify with sulfates when my hair when it feels nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
It's the oil. I do not believe grapeseed oil is water soluble. Also too much product. I have type 4 hair and if I use more than a leave in my hair aborts mission. Try alternating to see which works best before trying all at once.

You don't need a sulfate cleansing even though you've been using oil. Grapeseed oil is light and you should be able to remove it with a low-poo such as Shea moisture.

Also double-check your product ingredients. Castor oil caused major coating for me. If your cream has castor oil in it you will need to clarify with a sulfate to get it out, unless it is hydrogenated castor oil which is water soluble.

I thought Wen 613 did have a cone?
I can tell when my hair needs to be clarified cause it has this dry but greasy feel to it

When it's stiff from so many products

When it's overly oily/greasy

When tried and true products don't work as well or just sit on top of your hair

I clarify before I do a protein treatment in prep for any direct heat. Like I did last night.
I dilute the poo in water and spray it on my scalp and hair before I go in the shower.

I used my clarifying shampoo yesterday after doing my regular routine and having my hair feel dry once I added my stylers. I started over, rewashed, conditioned and added stylers. My hair still feels moisturized today.

Back