When to clarify?

Analiyah9

Hello!

I've been natural for 6 months (transitioned six months prior), and I have NEVER clarified my hair. My hair has grown alot, but I'm scared of product buildup.
This weekend I plan on washing my hair (I had rope twists for like a month), and before I did the rope twists I would use Eco styler for wash and go's. I would then just wash my hair with Elasta QP conditioning Shampoo. I don't know if I was supposed to wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo after using the Ecostyler gel :perplexed So

I was wondering a few things:

1.) How do you know when to clarify your hair?
2.) Do you use a clarify after putting gel on your hair?
3.) What shampoo do you use to clarify and whats the process (do you use a moisturizing shampoo right after?, deep condition etc? Hot oil treatment? )

I never clarified so please help me! Thanks

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
1. You should clarify if you have product build up that is not removed by your regular shampoo; follow up with a deep conditioner. You can tell that it's time to clarify if your hair is gummy, lacks flexibility, does not respond to your normal products or routine, or just feels "off". IMO, the more chemical-laden products you use, the more often you need to shampoo the gunk off of your strands.

2. I tend to use all natural products, but if I were using a heavy gel like eco-styler, I would have to clarify often.

3. I wold recommend Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. It's cheap and effective.

Then deep condition and style as normal.

Last edited:

tru4reele

If I want to blow dry my hair after a wash and it has a white, grey film on it; this is product buildup. It's usually in the crown part of my head and you can smell it once u flat iron. It does not smell good. I have to wash again and clarify. I hate buildup. It's gross.

Fhrizzball

I clarify when rinsing my hair without using shampoo causes it to feel stripped and tangly as if I was shampooing.
If I use a lot of unnatural gels often which is rare I do. Ecostyler I make sure to be very light handed on it and I use it only for laying my edges down so I can just get away with regular shampooing and with KCCC I can just cowash that out most times.
3.) What shampoo do you use to clarify and whats the process (do you use a moisturizing shampoo right after?, deep condition etc? Hot oil treatment? )
I use giovanni 50:50 poo which is listed as a hydrating clarifyer. I follow up with a DC or cowash with conditioner and oils for an extended amount of time.

Also I henna every 4-8 weeks so before I henna I clarify with my Giovanni or use my Shea Moisture poo depending on how my hair feels.

nickpoopie

I just clarified my hair last night and yes I have to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo because clarifying leaves my hair feeling rough and tangled.

Clarifying shampoo- Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint
Moisturizing shampoo- Organix Morrocan Argan Oil shampoo
Deep conditioner- MegaTek
Moisturizing conditioner- Herbal Essence Hello Hydration

*Frisky*

This is a good question because I think alot of naturals don't think about this. I asked somebody how often they clarify and they said every 6 weeks. Is that normal? It seems all that product build up would hender product performance as well all the cowashing and no actual shampooing on top of it. I know I use way more products on my hair now that I am natural than I did when I was relaxed so I think I should clarify more often. Maybe regular shampoo does do the trick but being that alot of naturals use 2 and 3 products daily on their hair, it might be questionable.

MizzBrown

I still get confused on what the difference is between a clarifying shampoo vs. a regular shampoo w/ sulfates?

Wouldnt a reg. sulfate shampoo be enough to strip away the buildup? What specific ingredients make the "clarifying" label needed?

Nonie..come in & tell me. :giggle:

greenandchic

When my hair feels coated, dry and nothing I put on my hair is working anymore. That usually tells me I have product build up. I also know when I use certain products with silicons (which I don't do often anymore).

I generally don't. All of my gels are water soluble and easily wash out with conditioner or a mild shampoo.

Right now I use Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying Shampoo diluted with a little water. I always DC after or use a protein treatment (if needed) and then DC that's heavy with oils.

Nonie

I still get confused on what the difference is between a clarifying shampoo vs. a regular shampoo w/ sulfates?

Wouldnt a reg. sulfate shampoo be enough to strip away the buildup? What specific ingredients make the "clarifying" label needed?

Nonie..come in & tell me. :giggle:

MizzBrown, I think clarifying shampoos tend to be more alkaline so they can strip hair. That said, Giovanni's 50:50 Balanced Hydrating & Clarifying Shampoo is supposed to not be alkaline, yet if we're to go by its name, it supposedly clarifies so... *shrug*.

Some regular sulphate shampoos are low on the pH scale and so may not be able to strip the hair the way a specifically clarifying shampoo can. But there's one way to find out: use a regular shampoo and see if it works. If not, then get a shampoo that is clearly a clarifying one.

Iwanthealthyhair67

ususally every 4 - 6 weeks depending on product usage say if you are heavy handed or prone to using lots of oils you may need to do it a little more frequentlly

tiffjust2002

I clarify my hair about once a month and I follow up with a deep conditioner for at least an hour but I use Eulence Voluminzing Clarifying Shampoo.

Ivonnovi

IMHO you should also clarify before trying new products. This will allow you to "really" see how your hair does with the product.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I usually Clarify

Before a Henna Treatment

After Relaxing right after neutralizing and also during the 1st wash

If I 'feel' for some reason I have unusual Build-Up *Which is rare, I can usually get by with a Cleansing Conditioner* instead of an all out Clarifying Shampoo

I'll use or have used:grin::

Abba Molasses Clarifying
Avalon Organics Lemon, Shea and Babbasu Clarifying
Eulcence Clarifying
Hairveda Amala Cleanse
AG Fast Food Clarifying
AO Green Tea Clarifying
Redken Cleansing Cream

To the Extent I need a Clarifier, for future use I will just Purchase VO5 Clarifying Shampoo OR Conditioner. After these are finished, I probably will.:look:

greenandchic

Nonie - That's interesting about the Giovanni's 50:50 Balanced Hydrating & Clarifying Shampoo. That's what I use and it strips my hair pretty good (not in a bad way). I haven't used others to compare though...

05girl

Where can one buy Giovanni's 50:50 Balanced Hydrating & Clarifying Shampoo ? Is it sold in regular stores like Walmart/Target/Publx/Kroger?