Who DOESN'T clarify??

Solitude

....because I don't, but I was wondering if this is something I should add to my regimen. I use shampoo with every wash, and products with mineral oil and cones. I don't feel like I have a lot of build-up, but who knows???

So, please post if you don't clarify & if you do - how often and what product or natural elements do you use to clarify your hair???

Neith

I haven't clarified for months.

I haven't used straight shampoo for months. I put a teaspoon of shampoo in about 4-5 oz of water and add about 3 teaspoons of jojoba.

It cleans my scalp so I'm not stinky, but I'm pretty sure I'm knocking down it's effectiveness in my hair quite a bit.

I don't use petroleum and I use very little cones.

My hair loves it. :)

I don't believe you HAVE to clarify if you don't use things that cause thick build up.

A few cones shouldn't matter as long as you wash at least weakly and you're not overusing the cones. A gentle sulfate/coco betaine removes most of them. Even co washing removes some.

Petroleum/mineral oil... I would be more on top of my clarifying personally.

Last edited:

Jazala

As far as I can tell, the shampoo that is used to neutralize a relaxer has clarifying properties. So I don't think I need one between relaxers.

LaidBak

I tried it once (recently) and it left my hair feeling stripped. I mean, I know that's what its supposed to do, but I wasn't comfortable with that feeling. My normal shampoo leaves my hair very moisturized and gives it slip. I don't use mineral oil or cones so I don't think I'll be clarifying on a regular basis. Maybe twice a year.

Sweet Charm

ive never clarified ever and my hair is fine but i never use petroleum or mineral oil and i use aubrey organics honeysuckle rose shampoo and my hair feels very clean after that so i dont have any buildup

Nonie

I do not clarify. I don't use any products after my wash so I'm never worried about having buildup. I use shampoo twice a week mainly to wash my scalp coz I love a clean scalp, and squeeze it through my hair during the rinse. I condition after shampooing and might throw in a CW between washes. I DC after one of my washes each week. My hair's doing fine.

~~HoneyComb~~

I don't clarify. I don't use products that coat my hair or that are hard to get out with co-washes. I stay away from silicones and use very little protein.

me-T

i'm glad some people dont because i'm tryin to use the least amount of products possible. i'm worried about clarifying poos, chelating poos...etc. if i dont NEED it, i won't use it.

neutralizing poos can double to clarify? does it help w/ porosity?(since it's helpin the ph?)

Lady S

I only clarify if my hair has a whole lot of product build up. And I do mean a lot. My scalp rebels and becomes incredibly itchy and flacky when I clarify, so I have to be careful to only do it when necessary.

pmichael52172

I don't. Did once or twice and not only did I not notice the difference, but I didn't like the feeling. I'll never do it again. I just don't need to.

Leesh

I was wondering the same thing, I have clarified in the past, but probably not as often as I should, when I do,my hair is left very stripped and dry,its kinda scary, but if its good for Me, maybe I should, I don't know.

Last edited:

mahogany_horizons

I only clarify if my hair has a whole lot of product build up. And I do mean a lot. My scalp rebels and becomes incredibly itchy and flacky when I clarify, so I have to be careful to only do it when necessary.

Mine does as well!! And thus I only do this at about week or 7 when I am post relaxer, since as some stated, the nuetralizing shampoo has clarifying properties!! And as such, I only do it at week 7 or 8 because I use lots of cones (I know i'm bad but I think my hair likes them) as well as I moisturize heavily when i wet bun...so for those reasons, I do it at week 7 or 8, and only once, because it makes my scalp very dry and itchy as well MAMA, i totally relate, I always had a problem and senstive scalp!

Eisani

I chelate only as needed, and my scalp will let me know when it's time. I don't use nearly as many cones or loads of mo like I used to, so its not needed very often.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I chelate only as needed, and my scalp will let me know when it's time. I don't use nearly as many cones or loads of mo like I used to, so its not needed very often.

Sani,

How do you know when your hair and scalp need it? I just bought some chelating/clarifying poo because I have ridiculously hard water.... what do you do to add moisture back into your hair?

Deja9

I don't do it often. Seems to send my hair into shock:hair: and I have really work hard to get back to normal.

SAME HERE!! I am never clarifying again. Seriously- before learning about clarifying my hair was thriving so well- growing long and strong. I never clarify my hair and then I decided to give it a whirl...Bad idea... Clarifying gives me a horrible ordeal. I'm going back to my regulary washing and conditioning. I'm natural pressed and I don't use gunky products in my hair. I've realized the clarifying is not necessary and not good for my hair, despite what ppl feel. Gotta do what works for ya:grin:

naturalgurl

I don't...really. I have clarified about 3 times in the last year. I don't use anything that causes build up so I don't see the need. The only reason I do is just in case of mineral build up but that makes me wonder if clarify and chelating are the same. Are they???

Caramela

The last time I clarified, I followed with a deep conditioner and my hair was a matted tangled mess and I loss so much hair!!! It was so scary an sad all at the same time. I don't know if it was because I shampoo'd 2x with the clarifying shampoo or what... but I won't be doing that again... like, ever.

Solitude

I don't...really. I have clarified about 3 times in the last year. I don't use anything that causes build up so I don't see the need. The only reason I do is just in case of mineral build up but that makes me wonder if clarify and chelating are the same. Are they???

I don't know. I see people talking about chelating and I honestly don't know what that is.

vkb247

Chelating is getting rid of mineral (like calcium) or metal build up in the hair from hard water or no-lye relaxers. This what blonds have to do when their hair turns green from simming in a pool (it is not the chlorine) Tomato juice or special shampoos are needed to chelate.

Clarifying on the other hand gets rid of product build up that can happen from using certain products or only cowashing for long periods of time. Baking soda and acv (I used to that it didn't clarify but found out otherwise) are gentle ways to clarify.

I use baking soda to clarify when I need it but I hardly ever need it. I did a baking soda with conditioner treatment overnight in an attempt to relax my curl pattern. I did that over the Christmas holiday and I am just getting my moisture level back where I like it to be. Won't be doing that again

Last edited:

Blessed_Angel

I clarify. I used to do it once a month, but when I realized that I had hard water, I started doing it every week. I didn't experience any dryness like I had anticipated. My hair was still moisturized.

I use Kenra Clarifying/Chelating Poo. I love the smell too.

Eisani

Sani,

How do you know when your hair and scalp need it? I just bought some chelating/clarifying poo because I have ridiculously hard water.... what do you do to add moisture back into your hair?
Sorry girl, just shoot me a PM next time ;).

Usually for me, my scalp will feel itchy and sometimes I'll get a lil bump or two on it. My hair won't respond to anything I use on it and it's extremely difficult to detangle, even with products I know for a fact usually work. Other times it just feels eww like, I can't really describe it, but it doesn't feel clean even if I just washed. To give an analogy, it would be like surface cleaning vs really cleaning your house. I too have hard water and usually try avoid using it as much as possible or at least make sure my final rinse is w/distilled water. To combat dryness, after rinsing the chelator I'll use a moisturizing poo like CON then DC as usual. No problems :grin:.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I did today.... I was so SCARED because my hair hell-hates clarification in all it's forms. I stepped out on faith and bought Quantum Clarifying Shampoo from Sally's http://www.sallybeauty.com/Clarifying-Shampoo/QUNTUM14,default,pd.html because it's a 2 in 1 (clarify + chelate.)

After washing I DC'ed I detangled, applied my leave ins, and sealed. As a matter of fact my hair feels better, softer, and thicker. I'm going to test this a few more times (maybe once every two weeks to a month?) My scalp isn't itching (THANK GOD) so I'll have to wait and see. So far, I'm pretty satisfied.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Sorry girl, just shoot me a PM next time ;).

Usually for me, my scalp will feel itchy and sometimes I'll get a lil bump or two on it. My hair won't respond to anything I use on it and it's extremely difficult to detangle, even with products I know for a fact usually work. Other times it just feels eww like, I can't really describe it, but it doesn't feel clean even if I just washed. To give an analogy, it would be like surface cleaning vs really cleaning your house. I too have hard water and usually try avoid using it as much as possible or at least make sure my final rinse is w/distilled water. To combat dryness, after rinsing the chelator I'll use a moisturizing poo like CON then DC as usual. No problems :grin:.

This is EXACTLY what I felt!!!! Girl thank you!! :grin:

Eisani

I'm glad it worked out for you Grass!!

On another note, to further clarify (no pun intended, promise) what vkb was saying, another major difference between chelating and clarifying is that chelating works all the way down to the cortex to remove mineral deposits as well as product build up on the surface. Clarifying only works on the surface. IMO, chelating is better, especially if you're in a hard water area.