Signs you need to clarify?

Lovelylocs

What are some signs that you need to clarify? I think I may need to, but I'm not sure. I never used to have to clarify before. My hair doesn't feel as soft and smooth as it used to. It's like 2 weeks after my retouches my hair stops feeling as soft.

Unfortunately, the search engine is not working. :(

If I do need to clarify, I will probably just use some vinegar fromt he kitchen cabinet.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I clarify on a monthly basis (at least) with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, but a good indicator for me is if my staple products are no longer working effectively or my hair is just looking and feeling a bit "blah". Having a clarifying schedule is a mainstay of my regimen. :yep:

remnant

I clarify on a monthly basis (at least) with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, but a good indicator for me is if my staple products are no longer working effectively or my hair is just looking and feeling a bit "blah". Having a clarifying schedule is a mainstay of my regimen. :yep:

I agree with this

Lovelylocs

Maybe I do need to clarify then. :ohwell: :lol: I certainly hope that is all that it is. Or else, it may open up a whole 'nother can of worms. Can I just use vinegar.

Thanks for the fast replies. You guys are the best! :yep: :grin:

MariposaSexyGirl

I haven't used viniger before for that . But u can use a clarifying one by Pantene or suave these work well. I can tell I need to when after I put conditner in my hair it won't come thru as easily. So I will squirt a lil diluted shampoo on to tell and If my hair feels softer and detangled after that I know I need to clarify.:drunk:

silverlotus

When my conditioner doesnt work as well, then I know its time to clarify.

Ditto. Also, if your hair is more tangly than usual or it stays dry no matter what you do. Another sign - your hair actually feels coated.

Don't use vinegar, buy an actual clarifying poo. It doesn't have to be expensive either.

shortt29

On days that you clarify...do you use anything before the wash? For example is it pointless to prepoo if you are only going to clarify your hair afterwards anyway? Even though I really need to clarify because of build up, I love my pre poos and I don't think I could make it through this stretch without it.

*KP*

That explains it. I used to use Lustrasilk Moisture Max as a moisturiser and my hair LOVED it (even though it has mineral oil near the top of the ingredients list). All of a sudden, nada my hair just became greasy and dry. I wish I'd known this 3 months ago!

Lovelylocs

I'm just afraid that I am misdiagnosing my hair problem since I've never really had to clarify in the past. I don't want my hair to end up even drier and tanglier. :ohwell:

AtlantaJJ

On days that you clarify...do you use anything before the wash? For example is it pointless to prepoo if you are only going to clarify your hair afterwards anyway? Even though I really need to clarify because of build up, I love my pre poos and I don't think I could make it through this stretch without it.
I have wondered about this also, seems like a waste to pre-poo and then clarify....

I hope some of the ladies chime in on this one.....

silverlotus

I'm just afraid that I am misdiagnosing my hair problem since I've never really had to clarify in the past. I don't want my hair to end up even drier and tanglier. :ohwell:

lol, this is even more evidence that you might need to clarify. If you haven't done it in a long time, then you probably need to. Just follow it with a good d/c and your hair should be fine. :yep:

Also, IMO it's a waste to prepoo before clarifying. You're just gonna strip w/e you used to prepoo with out of your hair anyway.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Does anyone know if ORS Aloe poo can be used to clarify? I tried Suave once and it just was too drying even though I used it to clarify I think it stripped my hair too much.

PinkAngel

Does anyone know if ORS Aloe poo can be used to clarify? I tried Suave once and it just was too drying even though I used it to clarify I think it stripped my hair too much.

This is exactly what I use. I like it b/c it removes the build-up plus any calcium I may haver from using no-lye relaxers.

Lovelylocs

Update: I bought the Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo from Walmart. They were all out of Suave's clarifying shampoo. The Nexxus shampoo made my hair so soft, not dry at all. :nono: It was great! My conditioner works again! :yep: :grin:

Thanks Ladies! :dance7: :dance7: U R the BEST!!

Lovelylocs

So the suave is stronger?

The thing that I have to figure out is how often I should clarify. This shampoo is not drying at all so maybe I should use it every other week. I'm guessing that every two weeks should be good b/c after a retouch my hair is fine until 2 weeks later, then my conditioners dont work as well. I guess that the relaxer clarifies. :lol: It must if it can strip a rinse.

SleepyJean

Ditto. Also, if your hair is more tangly than usual or it stays dry no matter what you do. Another sign - your hair actually feels coated.

Don't use vinegar, buy an actual clarifying poo. It doesn't have to be expensive either.

Why can't she use vinegar? :look::perplexed

Moroni

I wish I had thought of this on Friday. I pre-pooed for about 3 hours, then used Nexxus Aloe Rid. It helped only some, and I used it only once before the oil rinse and DC. My hair still feels rough and porous. Do you think I should clarify again, then deep condition? Can you tell I'm a newbie???

gorgeoushair

I wish I had thought of this on Friday. I pre-pooed for about 3 hours, then used Nexxus Aloe Rid. It helped only some, and I used it only once before the oil rinse and DC. My hair still feels rough and porous. Do you think I should clarify again, then deep condition? Can you tell I'm a newbie???

This kinda happened to me yesterday.......I applied some Polysorbate on my scalp and pre-pooed with Profective Growth Masque for about 1-2 hours. I rinsed it out and noticed my hair was feeling a little rough. I did an oil rinse with Amla oil and a little bit of EVOO. I combed it through....my hair was still rough and a little tangly. I rinsed the oil out and did a co wash with Suave Humectant and combed it through-by this time I had lost a lot of hair. I let it sit for a minute and rinsed. There was no slip and my hair was still rough so I deep conditioned with Motions Moisture Plus for 30 min(I also lost hair parting and combing to apply cond). Finally I rinsed this out and my hair still was not feeling right......no slip and rough:nono: At this point I didn't know what was going on with my hair so I used some Porosity Control. To make this long story short........let's just say this did not work either:wallbash: no slip, a little tangly and stripped feeling hair. I lost hair like I just had came out of braids or had 3 months of newgrowth and I'm only 3-4 weeks post relaxer.

I gave up and towel dried my hair and applied some Salerm 21 and castor oil(still had a little tangles and lost a little hair) and airdried in a ponytail.

I'm not sure what went wrong but on my next wash I'm going to use a clarifying shampoo.

AtlantaJJ

This kinda happened to me yesterday.......I applied some Polysorbate on my scalp and pre-pooed with Profective Growth Masque for about 1-2 hours. I rinsed it out and noticed my hair was feeling a little rough. I did an oil rinse with Amla oil and a little bit of EVOO. I combed it through....my hair was still rough and a little tangly. I rinsed the oil out and did a co wash with Suave Humectant and combed it through-by this time I had lost a lot of hair. I let it sit for a minute and rinsed. There was no slip and my hair was still rough so I deep conditioned with Motions Moisture Plus for 30 min(I also lost hair parting and combing to apply cond). Finally I rinsed this out and my hair still was not feeling right......no slip and rough:nono: At this point I didn't know what was going on with my hair so I used some Porosity Control. To make this long story short........let's just say this did not work either:wallbash: no slip, a little tangly and stripped feeling hair. I lost hair like I just had came out of braids or had 3 months of newgrowth and I'm only 3-4 weeks post relaxer.

I gave up and towel dried my hair and applied some Salerm 21 and castor oil(still had a little tangles and lost a little hair) and airdried in a ponytail.

I'm not sure what went wrong but on my next wash I'm going to use a clarifying shampoo.
Sounds like you could use a good clarifying just from all the products you used on that one wash!! :)lachen:I'm laughing with you not at you, I've been there!)
Perhaps your hair doesn't like a build up of 'cones...if you get too much of it on your hair, nothing (moisture) can good through except a good clarify!! I have fine hair so I have to clarify as a rule or my hair will just weigh down and get all dull looking and dry.
I like Nexxus Aloe Rid, and Ion Hard Water Shampoos...I'll have to revisit the ORS Aloe shampoo....

Last edited:

ShaniKeys

Same here:yep:

rdm

Maybe I do need to clarify then. :ohwell: :lol: I certainly hope that is all that it is. Or else, it may open up a whole 'nother can of worms. Can I just use vinegar.

Thanks for the fast replies. You guys are the best! :yep: :grin:

Diluted apple cider vinegar is used by a lot of people here.