How do you get really defined 4a/b curls?

nikkablue

Okay Ladies,

I BC'd today! Sorry no pics yet as I cant find my camera. As soon as I figure out how to get pictures of my phone I'll Update. But, in the mean time. I wanted to know il the was a way to get my curls more defined?

MCMLXXII

Hi! I have kinky 4B hair and aloe vera gel works wonders to define curls. I apply it to wet hair and go. Almost looks like a Jheri curl! Aloe vera gel is available at Whole Foods, Target, or any vitamin shop.

Congratulations on your BC!

**Glamourlicious**

I am 3c/4a and I have found that conditioner curls my hair best. Try Pantene Hydrating curls. I keep saying I am going to try Fantasia....it few times i have used it...I did not use much and I got LOTS of frizz.

lilsparkle825

i am also 3c/4a...conditioner and a denman brush have saved my life on many occasions.

if your hair is more on the 4a/4b side try coils/coil-outs.

rsmith

this is a good post. I am still kind of confused about my hair type. I am natural. My hair is fine. I think it's 3c/4a mixed. I have tight curls and waves.

Auburn

When I BC'd, it took a minute for my curls to act right. This is what I do.

1. Put conditioner on soaking wet hair.
2. use fingers section by section to comb & work the product through.
3. while rinsing, squeezing the conditioners out while not disturbing my curls.

HTH :hair:

Nonie

4B doesn't have curls, you can get waves occassionally.

I beg to disagree. I have 4B hair and I most definitely have curls. I don't think I've ever had waves though...unless the look after braids are taken out (the zigzag look) can be considered waves. 4B curls are not easy to see the way you can see 4A curls because they are minute in comparison. But they most definitely are there.

I find S Curls makes my curls/coils pop.

Ms Lala

If your is truly a mix of 4a and b you will probably have to do twist outs or some other type of set to get a curly look. I have tried just about every gel and curl definer under the sun w/no decent results because of the different textures.

Fine 4s

I don't even ATTEMPT to do WNGs cuz they ain't gon be no curlz-no where!

But my twist-outs on the other hand give me instant 4a sometimes 3c hair.

tinkat

I am 3c/4a and I have found that conditioner curls my hair best. Try Pantene Hydrating curls. I keep saying I am going to try Fantasia....it few times i have used it...I did not use much and I got LOTS of frizz.

I agree...Conditioner is the best

Neith

4B doesn't have curls, you can get waves occassionally.

I agree to an extent. 4b hair tends not to clump while 4a hair usually does. That's the biggest difference of the two types. Both types ARE curly types, but 4b doesn't like to clump up.

I have 4a/4b hair and the 4b parts just don't form little perfect ringlets. However, there is more 4a in my head than 4b, so overall I can make it look curly (even without texlaxing)

My personal way to define beautiful little coils... WATER. Your hair should be very damp. Then you add your leave-in/moisturizer, oil and maybe a bit of gel and airdry.

The key for me is starting with really damp hair. Once my hair is thoroughly wet, that's when it curls up the most. Also, don't disturb your hair while it's drying.

Nonie

I don't even ATTEMPT to do WNGs cuz they ain't gon be no curlz-no where!

But my twist-outs on the other hand give me instant 4a sometimes 3c hair.

OK, this has me thinking we're all talking something different. WNGs do not give dangling spirals to my 4B hair because they just make it curl back on itself but the curls are definitely there. They just look like this:

But because they are so tiny, en masse it's impossible to see those spirals as shown in the pic below. Only the single ends show that definition:

But when I talk of defining curls, I'm basically talking about making the hair clearly show the coils it's made of. An example is my mom's hair which usually did not appear to be made of any coils whatsoever:

But after washing and conditioning and then using S Curl, her hair formed into beautiful curls that looked--and really were--so soft:

Her 4B curls became more distinct ie defined. Curl definition to me does not mean "dangling curls". It means the hair strands form into curls whether big like 3 or 4A or tiny like 4B.

WNGs do not work for me because while my hair does form into curls, it also curls back into itself turning into a bun cake. :lol: I prefer to braid it for the night and baggy (with S Curl applied) and then wear it out in the AM. It is less compact that way and I still get the curls without having to deal with tightly shrunken hair.

Last edited:

hairsothick

Black and Magical
OK, this has me thinking we're all talking something different. WNGs do not give dangling spirals to my 4B hair because they just make it curl back on itself but the curls are definitely there. They just look like this:

But because they are so tiny, en masse it's impossible to see those spirals as shown in the pic below. Only the single ends show that definition:

But when I talk of defining curls, I'm basically talking about making the hair clearly show the coils it's made of. An example is my mom's hair which usually did not appear to be made of any coils whatsoever:

But after washing and conditioning and then using S Curl, her hair formed into beautiful curls that looked--and really were--so soft:

Her 4B curls became more distinct ie defined. Curl definition to me does not mean "dangling curls". It means the hair strands form into curls whether big like 3 or 4A or tiny like 4B.

WNGs do not work for me because while my hair does form into curls, it also curls back into itself turning into a bun cake. :lol: I prefer to braid it for the night and baggy (with S Curl applied) and then wear it out in the AM. It is less compact that way and I still get the curls without having to deal with tightly shrunken hair.

You have an awesome camera. I can't get mine that close and clear to save my life.

nikkablue

Well I tried the gel thing last night and it was ok I guess but only the ends had the well defined coils, the roots still looked kind of frizzy.....:perplexed

Ms Lala

I agree to an extent. 4b hair tends not to clump while 4a hair usually does. That's the biggest difference of the two types. Both types ARE curly types, but 4b doesn't like to clump up.

I have 4a/4b hair and the 4b parts just don't form little perfect ringlets. However, there is more 4a in my head than 4b, so overall I can make it look curly (even without texlaxing)

My personal way to define beautiful little coils... WATER. Your hair should be very damp. Then you add your leave-in/moisturizer, oil and maybe a bit of gel and airdry.

The key for me is starting with really damp hair. Once my hair is thoroughly wet, that's when it curls up the most. Also, don't disturb your hair while it's drying.

I agree w/this. This is why I say my hair is 4a/b because I have 4a size curls but they don't really clump. The only thing I haven't tried is Miss Jessies and I may give it ago in the summer time when I would like to try a wash no go again

naturalgurl

High five Nonie!
I believe water, super moisturization is key. My 4a/b hair was more frizzy showing no curl pattern unless you looked really close. Now since I use lots of water on my hair I have s-pattern curls everywhere. I don't know if it's due to the length or my watering but I feel it's the latter.

sunshinelady

Everything I have ever read about 4b hair says that it does not have curls, but lots of zig-zags. Nonie, I am inclined to say that your hair has zig-zag waves, not curls, but tomato, toematoe.

I could get some curlishness when my hair was short, but not when it got long. Just a big POOF.

naturalgurl

Everything I have ever read about 4b hair says that it does not have curls, but lots of zig-zags. Nonie, I am inclined to say that your hair has zig-zag waves, not curls, but tomato, toematoe.

I could get some curlishness when my hair was short, but not when it got long. Just a big POOF.

This just goes to show, all hair is different. I get curls with length some get curls when shorter. Or maybe it's the moisture...hmmmm......

Evolving78

i have 4a hair and i use fantasia ic gel (green or blue). my coils are very defined using this product. i use it on dripping wet hair.

Evolving78

Well I tried the gel thing last night and it was ok I guess but only the ends had the well defined coils, the roots still looked kind of frizzy.....:perplexed

do you have any pics? maybe if we saw som pics someone could tell you what products to use. also with the fantasia gel, how did you apply it?

Nonie

Really? Do springs have zigzag waves too, in your opinion? Not trying to be funny but just to understand what you define as zig zag coz my hair looks like springs/coils:

I have seen the definition you talk of but just because it's there doesn't mean it's correct. There was a time there was a theory that the world was flat but just because it was there didn't mean it was right. *shrug*

Oh well, as you say, tomAto/tomahto. I'm a 4B with hair that isn't made of zigzag but rather tiny curls, aka kinks, naps. I get a poof too. But a poof made up of tiny curls hence the definition "nappy" or "4B hair".

Ms Lala

My hair also curled when it was short. As it got longer I realized that it wasn't really clumping into curls.