texlaxing in rods or twists for defined curls?

NuBraveHeart

hello all.

i'm a 4a/b texlaxed head, and i was trying to figure out how i can get more defined curls. right now i texlax every three months, and when i comb out or wear in a ponytail, i still just have this puffy, undefined zigzag pattern, with no real CURLS, loose or tight.

i was thinking about defining them further back in the process; as in in the actual texlaxing procedure. i read a post some time back about lovelymissyoli texlaxing while in twists, and thought that was a neat idea. does anyone else have any experience keeping more defined curls by texlaxing their hair while in rods or while in twist? if so, did the definition last through co-washing and styling and such? also, if you've done this, can you tell us what your texlax procedure is? Many thanks in advance.

vkb247

You can not set a relaxer. Only curly perms take on the pattern of the rods used during the chemical process. I know that lovelymissyoli hair looked great after she took the twists out but that was a curl pattern she got from the twists not the relaxer. She would have seen what her hair really looked like after her first wash - unless she did that in twists too. Basically what she had was a twist out on texlaxed hair and you could get the same look with a twist out. Just flat twist wet or damp hair straight back like cornrows (fast) or in individual twists and then take them out.

Chemicals determine the size of the curl or wave in the hair put it is products and techniques that give curl definition. Try dcing more, oil rinses, and eco styler gel gives me amazing curl definition.

If you comb or brush your hair out while it is dry than you are definitely going to have no curls or waves. Only comb/brush wet hair and touch it as little as possible until it dries.

ETA: You also can't define curls you don't have. Try texlaxing with a milder relaxer, mixing something in your relaxer, or leave it in for a shorter time.

Last edited:

msa

I agree with Vkb.

Also, texlaxing can't give you curls you don't already have. So if your natural pattern doesn't have a curl or coil, then the texlax won't create one.