4a/b Naturals/Transitioners: Defined curls and Sleeker straight at home?

bravenewgirl87

So, as you all know, i am completely natural on my napebut still with relaxed ends (its moving a little slow... i need to get back on LR). I was wondering what exactly is it that products manufactured for "curly heads" do? Do they really define the curls/kinks? I know that when i REALLY shampoo and DC, my nape curls pop! OMG... they are AMAZINGLY soft and beautiful and so well defined. But, once i start rollersetting, my hair turns into a frizzy mess. I don't want to have to keep using heat (blowdry then flat-iron) to get a less frizzy curl, but i don't know what else to do.

Reverse Question: What about straightening natural or transitioning hair? I know you rollerset it first, but how do you get a smoother sleek look? Is it with "straightening" balms and shampoos? Which do you use and how do you use them? I know that sodium laureate ( i think ) is sometimes placed in these products, (its an active ingredient in relaxers) is that what helps the hair get straight? Which ones do you use?

turnergirl

I have only done one rollerset since I have been natural and it turned out very well. I didn't even use a setting lotion. I used cantu shea butter leave in. I am looking for a good setting lotion to help me get a more shiny result.

When I straighten rollerseting with a setting lotion and then flat ironing is the best method. With rollersetting you already have a curl in your hair and the hair has a nice sheen and dry finish. I sometimes put a little oil or something on each curl and flat iron. Maybe a serum. My hair is always wieghtless and continuously moving in the wind.

About products for curly hair. Some are there to moisturize curly hair others promise definition, protection from breakage and all kinds of benefits. There are lots of products that have multiple functions, even when they don't list it. I use cantu as a moisturizer but for some reason it offers so much hold that I have eliminated all other stylers from my routine. It is a one stop product for me.
Though I hate having to get out those cones.

glamazon386

Well curl defining products are only going to define the curl you already have there. It sounds like you already have one though. My hair is it's curliest when it's most moisturized - so when it's soaking wet or if it put conditioner on dry hair it gets the curliest too. The gel just kind of freezes it that way when it's wet so it doesn't frizz/poof when it dries. I hope that makes sense...

As far as straightening goes, I really think it's all in the technique. My hair was sleek and smooth when I got it done at the salon and he didn't put any products in it or use an expensive iron. Maybe you can try a serum or straightening cream or something though?

ETA: Cosigning with TurnerGirl - I like the Cantu Shea Leave in too! But does it give you whitehead? How do you keep it from doing that?

Last edited:

bLackButtaFly

I agree with what bmore and turnergirl have said. Especially about the gel. I use it it kinda freeze the shape of my already moisturized curls( i use fantasia ic, the pink one, and carol's daughter hair milk for a moiturizer).I also like the deva curl line b/c it does strip my hair and really aids in making my curl pop. To get a good rollerset I wash my hair, condition and moisturize and then wear it in buns or braids over night or for the day to get it nice and stretched(my hair does not like blowdryers) then I apply cantu break cure to my ends and lottabody setting lotion(god send) through the length of my hair. Roll sections in magnetic rollers and clip and sleep in them overnight. I got a great curly roller set and my hair was so straight after stretching it look almost like i had a relaxer.( no pics yet, still hiding my hair :look: ) I think you could folow the same process for straightening using bigger rollers and a flat iron after.

stinastina

So which products are you all using to condition and define curl ? My hair tends to striaghten in the front and shrink at the crown. The curl looks best at my nape. Any suggestions ?

imstush

Defined curls: my hair changes it's mind faster than Paris Hilton changes boyfriends (cheesy:p ) anyhoo, some products that I've had good results with for defining my curls - Boots (UK product), Miss Jessies Curly pudding, John Frieda Frizz Eaze (just took away the frizz, but I love the way my hair looks) and SCurl Activator Jel (which no longer works the same).

Sleeker hair, I haven't mastered a rollerset on my own hair (only once)...that or I am just too lazy - I think it's the latter. I normally just wrap my soaking wet hair, tie on a scarf and let it air dry. It normally takes a few days to airdry, so I like to do this on a Friday or Saturday morning and just wear a baseball cap all weekend if I need to go out.