Texturized gals-how do you define your curls?

soslychic

How do you define your curls? I have my hair texturized and I want shiny defined beautiful waves, curls, and ringlets. Right now they are a little frizzy. So what mousse, gel, leave ins, oils do you use? And how? When do you apply? And what wet stage of your hair? Do you apply anything else when dry? (This applies to everybody in the 2's, 3's, and 4 categories, but I specified texturized because that describes my hair. 4a/b texturized)

TIA!!

garr6982

Two things depending on my mood:

Sometimes I leave a little conditioner in after conditioning washing my hair then gel (I like Suave aloe/thermasilk/fantasia or any clean gel). I put either olive oil or Organic Root Stimulator jojoba "stuff" on the ends (just until its empty, I like it but I make my own "stuff"
!

When I have time, I use a mixture of my shea/mango/avocado/herb infused olive oil and either of the aforementioned gels, separate my hair into sections, and evenly distribute throughout to set. I will probably do this method more since I have noticed more frizziness in the back due to my hastiness in carefully applying to this area, the most dense area
!

What method are you currently using and how/when are you applying your products?

soslychic

Thanks garr6982!!
I actually don't have a method I'm using right now for this kind of style. This style never really occured to me until just now, but since my hair is not relaxed bone straight (it's texturized, even though I didn't mean to do that. Now I'm glad it's not straight) I put it in a ponytail last night to let it dry before it went up in a protective style this morning and I noticed that the length was really curly and pretty. The curls were a little frizzy however, but I'm sure that could be fixed with the right products so I was wondering where to start. I appreciate your info. How does your hair turn out looking? Is it texturized, natural, relaxed? What is your hairtype?
Does anyone else have info on how they define their curls?

garr6982

I'm sorry! I'm texturized
!

It comes out wavy and coily depending on the side of my head
! (I even have a very straight section about an inch wide by my ear)!

soslychic

Thanks! I have straight sections too! How do you deal with that? It's in the very front and sides. Do you think rolling on flexi/spiral rollers or perm rods (I don't know the difference between any of those) would help?

melodiw

My natural hair consists of tight and kinky 4a and 4b parts (very tight springs/coils). I got a texturizer because I could no longer handle the tangles. At first, I thought the stylist overprocessed it...all I could get was a big frizzy afro puff with a few loose curls in it...until I found the right products.

Then, I tried the magic combination: Noodle Head by Beyond the Zone (a creamy formula - defines the curls- can find at Sally's) and Eco Styler Krystal gel (a clear gel - locks in the curls - can find at drug store). I mix the two together and use a palmful in the shower, flip my head over and scrunch it to coat all of my hair, give a few shakes, and then dab lightly with towel. This totally transformed my hair.
http://bargainside.com/ecostkrstgel1.html

Last edited:

Ronda123

melodiw said:
My natural hair consists of tight and kinky 4a and 4b parts (very tight springs/coils). I got a texturizer because I could no longer handle the tangles. At first, I thought the stylist overprocessed it...all I could get was a big frizzy afro puff with a few loose curls in it...until I found the right products.

Then, I tried the magic combination: Noodle Head by Beyond the Zone (a creamy formula - defines the curls- can find at Sally's) and Eco Styler Krystal gel (a clear gel - locks in the curls - can find at drug store). I mix the two together and use a palmful in the shower, flip my head over and scrunch it to coat all of my hair, give a few shakes, and then dab lightly with towel. This totally transformed my hair.
http://bargainside.com/ecostkrstgel1.html

When I wear my hair curly, I also use Noodle Head and it makes my curls pop. :yep: Does the Eco Styler Krystal gel leave your hair dry/hard? If not, I may have to try this combination.

Last edited:

littleaudie

I like a little but of curl wax (marcel curl wax, the kind you would use for pressing) I only use a little bit on the ends while my hair is damp and it gives nice curl definition. The product junkie in me makes me want to try the above mentioned noodle head. Good luck finding your product.