Hopeless rollersetters, mesh may be the answer

healthynhappy

I just did my first "good" rollerset after purchasing Macherieamour's video. I am now in love with rollersetting. My hair is bouncy and soft. Her video really helped me to understand rolling techniques. I used ORS Wrap/Set Mousse that comes in the relaxer box, some Giovanni Direct Leave In, some IC Heat Protectant and lots of water.

I hope this lasts a week.

RubyWoo

How are you guys avoiding getting breakage from the pins? I used to use mesh rollers because I could get my new growth much straighter but I did a rollerset a couple of days ago and when I took the rollers out I noticed a lot of broken hair about the diameter of the roller. It seems like pushing pins through your hair would cause breakage, especially when the hair is still wet and fragile. So how can you use pins and still not get breakage?

I was also concerned about this. However, I used the plastic pins and and I didn't get any breakage. Also the pins went through effortlessly and very easily. The only time I got breakage was when I rolled my hair toooo tight. Usually the hair shrinks as it dries; as a result, if the hair is rolled too tight then breakage will result. However, one alternative I considered in preventing breakage is using two pins; one pin on each side(opposite sides) of the roller where there isn't hair. I'm not sure how effective this would be as I haven't tried it yet but it was something that I thought about.

lilamae

thank you so much for posting this. As a result I just came back from the beauty supply with:

1. Rollerabout hair dryer
2. 2 dozen diane mesh rollers ( but now that i am reading more i should have gotten Annie's:ohwell:)
3. IC heat protectant serum
4. 100 platic caps ( hey, there were $8! :look:)
5. Roller pins
6. 1 hair net

I'll post pics in a couple of hours. Thanks again!

Lovelylocs

I'm fine w/rollersetting, but it sucks when I don't want to sit under the dryer and my hair is still wet at bedtime. :lol: So, do mesh rollers come in the same sizes as the metallic rollers? b/c I need the extra large size.

lilamae

Okay sooo. After I read this thread earlier I went out and purchased some mesh rollers and did this rollerset

the mesh rollers were easier to use. I think i will use them from now on:yep:
Thank you OP!!!!:kiss:

Okay sooo. After I read this thread earlier I went out and purchased some mesh rollers and did this rollerset

WOW Lilamae....it came out beautifully!!! What products did you use?

crlsweetie912

Girl, your hair is the bomb! That's a fantastic set!:grin:

lilamae

Thank you guys, sorry for the big ole pictures! lol I washes and conditioned with redken butter treat.Then used pantene detangler and a littlebit of IC serum:yep: it's very soft this morning..I decided just to rock the curls ( which i know wont last long)

this is what it looks like now..i pinned the front back

Nigeriangurl

I was also concerned about this. However, I used the plastic pins and and I didn't get any breakage. Also the pins went through effortlessly and very easily. The only time I got breakage was when I rolled my hair toooo tight. Usually the hair shrinks as it dries; as a result, if the hair is rolled too tight then breakage will result. However, one alternative I considered in preventing breakage is using two pins; one pin on each side(opposite sides) of the roller where there isn't hair. I'm not sure how effective this would be as I haven't tried it yet but it was something that I thought about.

Thanx! I'm probably rolling too tight, or I'll try the two pin thing and see how it goes :yawn:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
yep... i use mesh all time..i took out the brush in the middle and use the clips from some old magnetics i had... works like a charm every time

AnjelLuvs

bump... Who still uses mesh rollers?

BTW, found when trying to find alternatives to metal clips for a rollerset...

lonei

Does anyone use mesh rollers without end papers and with metal duckbill clips at the end?