Mesh rollers are great!

Kinkyhairlady

Ladies I just wanted to share with you all my experience with these mesh rollers. For those of you who are not familiar with them they are the rollers that you stick the long pins through and also use end papers to protect the ends. I have had a very difficult time rollersetting my hair with magnetic rollers using bobbi pins or those silver clips but yesterday I decided to use the mesh rollers and it was soo easy. My results are like I went to the salon and I did not. The mesh rollers are easier because all you have to do is roll it and stick the pin through it. It grabs the new growth really well so your hair comes out really sleek. Well I was so exicted and wanted to share because I know many women have problems roller setting their own hair. Hopes this helps those that were trying to learn how to roller set, you can learn with these. This link has a picture of the mesh rollers and also shows the pros and cons different types of rollers.

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/5164/rollers.html

Last edited:

lisatamika

Ellis said:
Ladies I just wanted to share with you all my experience with these mesh rollers. For those of you who are not familiar with them they are the rollers that you stick the long pins through and also use end papers to protect the ends. I have had a very difficult time rollersetting my hair with magnetic rollers using bobbi pins or those silver clips but yesterday I decided to use the mesh rollers and it was soo easy. My results are like I went to the salon and I did not. The mesh rollers are easier because all you have to do is roll it and stick the pin through it. It grabs the new growth really well so your hair comes out really sleek. Well I was so exicted and wanted to share because I know many women have problems roller setting their own hair. Hopes this helps those that were trying to learn how to roller set, you can learn with these. This link has a picture of the mesh rollers and also shows the pros and cons different types of rollers.

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/5164/rollers.html
I'm so glad you posted this. I cannot get the art of rollersetting with magnetic rollers either and I have some of these already that a board member gave me :)

Zuppy

I have been preaching about the rollers for months... but I never get a lot of feed back from folks here on the board. They are the only ones I use and they work great for trying to stretch relaxers because you can get the roller more taut than w/ magnetic ones. I may have even posted this same site you have.

They are also easier to sleep in. For regular wash a set day I just that. But when I want my hair to have some body and slight curl the next day I put a few mesh rollers in loosly around my head with the pins, I can either use a bonnet, scarf or just on a satin pillow case. My hair always comes out looking great... with NO HEAT!

Kinkyhairlady

You can use it on both wet and dry hair. I did a wet rollerset lastnight. Also I believe these are the rollers used in AA hair salons.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I can never get the pins in right. Any suggestions. I may just try them. I have no problem with sleeping with magnatic rollers but I am willing to try mesh rollers again if it wasn't for the pins.

Honi

There is no board.
I used to use these a lonnnnggg time ago before I even knew what magnetic rollers were. They are good for getting the newgrowth taught when rollersetting. I couldn't sleep in them because they always gave me a headache.

The quality of the rollers have gone down too. The springs in them are way too easy to manipulate. My old ones were way more sturdy.

PrettyBrownEyes

Ellis said:
You can use it on both wet and dry hair. I did a wet rollerset lastnight. Also I believe these are the rollers used in AA hair salons.

They've used the magnetic rollers at all the AA hair salons I have gone too.

I can't see the pic, but, if they are what I am thinking of, don't they pull your hair? I mean isn't the material that catches your hair kind of rough?

skegeesmb

I've used them before, but I didn't like the crinkles they gave my hair. I don't think I used them correctly though. In fact, I've never used the pins before I didn't buy them. Do they have them in large sizes? I use the 3" rollers now. Maybe I'll try them. I am so used to using magnetic rollers though because of the smooth sets.

Kinkyhairlady

I am from Mass and all of the AA salons here use mesh rollers. I don't think magnetic rollers pull the new growth enough and I think that is why Domincan salons always have to blow dry after a set because the new growth is still really curly. Most of the girls here that use these rollers have nice long and healthy hair. I have been using them for a couple of weeks now and yesterday I did it by myself for the first time and I did not lose any hair. As far as getting the pins in right I think you have to put it in at a certain angle, hard to explain. You don't want to poke your scalp so you slightly bend it and push it in. I watched my stylist really closely when she would do it so I just applied what I learned. If you know a salon that uses go and watch how they do it and you can apply the process on your own hair.

kitten73

Zuppy said:
I have been preaching about the rollers for months... but I never get a lot of feed back from folks here on the board. They are the only ones I use and they work great for trying to stretch relaxers because you can get the roller more taut than w/ magnetic ones. I may have even posted this same site you have.

They are also easier to sleep in. For regular wash a set day I just that. But when I want my hair to have some body and slight curl the next day I put a few mesh rollers in loosly around my head with the pins, I can either use a bonnet, scarf or just on a satin pillow case. My hair always comes out looking great... with NO HEAT!

so you mean to tell me, you can rollerset your hair with these and thengo to bed and then the next day your hair is dry? my hair isn't past my shoulder but it's super thick and I would love to try and do this but I am worried it won't air dry and look nice the next day. Do you use end papers and what type of leave in are you using? I so want to stop going to the hair salon and start trying to do my own hair at home but the rollersets are always a disaster.

Kitkat

These are the rollers I've used for years. The beauty parlor my mom used to take used them, which is how I learned about them. They give really good sets and help to straighten out the new growth really well. I use them with setting lotion and a leave-in conditioner. Skeegeemsb, they have sizes ranging from the tiny green pincurl ones to large purple and pink ones.

I agree that they can be hard to sleep in, though. I'm always poking myself in the head with the pins!:lol:

I know your question was to another poster, Evanne, but hopefully you won't mind if I answer your question!

My hair is like yours - not past shoulder length but really thick. Unless I wash and roller set my hair earlier in the day or sit under the dryer for at least an hour, my hair is usually not dry by the next morning. I do use end papers and diluted Lottabody setting lotion. To speed up the drying process I use more curlers to avoid thick sections of hair on one roller. :)

Last edited:

Zuppy

LadyR - I put the Pins in on an angle.. think Diagonal. It took me a few times to be able to put the pins in at a comfortable angle.. at first I kept poking my scalp, but with practice it's a breeze now and I can also control the taut-ness. When doing wet hair I make the tighter for a sleeker set, especially when I have a lot of newgrowth. For dry hair overnight, I put them in loose just to give the hair some body and a bend.

I first encountered them in a small AA shop in N.J. my set would always come out nice.

They come in all the same sizes that the magnetic rollers come in.

Zuppy

evanne said:
so you mean to tell me, you can rollerset your hair with these and thengo to bed and then the next day your hair is dry? my hair isn't past my shoulder but it's super thick and I would love to try and do this but I am worried it won't air dry and look nice the next day. Do you use end papers and what type of leave in are you using? I so want to stop going to the hair salon and start trying to do my own hair at home but the rollersets are always a disaster.

evanne,

I don't think I've ever roller set wet hair and just went to bed, because I tend to make the roller more taut, and that's not so comfortable. But I have rolled my entire head dry (not as tight) went to bed. Yes the end papers certain contribute to the smoot set, they also make it easier to roll the hair.

If you think you can sleep in them after was and setting, I would dry your hair a little under the dryer before going to bed. I have a soft bonnet dryer, sometimes afer wash and set I put that on and take a nap, within an hour 1/2 my hair is dry.

BklynHeart

My AA stylist have used these for years and they make your hair look fuller. It's funny, when my hair was cut into a bob a few years ago my hair came out nice. Now that its longer I have to use the magnetic ones so it'll come out smoother. I like using the orange ones when I want to wear my hair curly.

skegeesmb

Cool. I might try some bigger ones. I'd like to have a taught set. Magnetic rollers take a lot of practice to get nice and tight.

Oh, and do you have to use wrapping paper to get a smooth set? That might have been another problem. Are they quicker to roll than magnetic ones. I might have read the answer. Just a little computer tired.

Last edited:

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Thank I may try that at some point.

Zuppy said:
LadyR - I put the Pins in on an angle.. think Diagonal. It took me a few times to be able to put the pins in at a comfortable angle.. at first I kept poking my scalp, but with practice it's a breeze now and I can also control the taut-ness. When doing wet hair I make the tighter for a sleeker set, especially when I have a lot of newgrowth. For dry hair overnight, I put them in loose just to give the hair some body and a bend.

I first encountered them in a small AA shop in N.J. my set would always come out nice.

They come in all the same sizes that the magnetic rollers come in.

BklynHeart

skegeesmb said:
Cool. I might try some bigger ones. I'd like to have a taught set. Magnetic rollers take a lot of practice to get nice and tight.

Oh, and do you have to use wrapping paper to get a smooth set? That might have been another problem. Are they quicker to roll than magnetic ones. I might have read the answer. Just a little computer tired.
Definitely use end papers. your hair will come out much smoother. Oh, you know what you ladies could use that will hold the roller much better? you know the hair pins, the thin wide hair pins you would use when your pinning your hair into a bun or updo? Well, they come in a much larger size and thicker. If I can get a picture I'll post it. That's what I use and my hair dresser use.

Last edited:

daviine

I can rollerset my hair faster/better with mesh rollers than I can with the magnetic rollers. I prefer the magnetic rollers though because I don't like the crinkles I get and I can't use end paper to save my life.

For whatever reason I just can't get the magnetic ones in as well as do the mesh. However I always end up putting the mesh rollers too tight and have to readjust rollers here and there as I sit under the dryer. I can't keep the larger mesh rollers in though. It won't stay steady.

I did have an interesting experience with the mesh rollers the last time I used them. I wrapped some them so tight that my curls came out kinky. I guess pulled my hair and the mesh through the roller. Because of that, I want to practice with the magnetic rollers......I'm just so against doing my hair these days......

Lindy

daviine said:
I can rollerset my hair faster/better with mesh rollers than I can with the magnetic rollers. I prefer the magnetic rollers though because I don't like the crinkles I get and I can't use end paper to save my life.
Yes, it's the crinkles that stop me from using these mesh rollers, too. My stylist uses them when he sets my hair at the salon (after my touchups), but he blows my hair out with the brush afterwards; I guess that's how he gets rid of the crinkles. :ohwell:

I agree that they're easier to work with and can be put in tighter than the magnetic rollers, but I really need that smoothness for my ends. :)

albane

Ellis, these mesh rollers are widely used in France where the magnetic rollers are quite unknown. For 4 to 5 years, there is a competition with the Velcro rollers but those last are used mainly on dry hair at the end of a blowdry. the true rollersetter will use the mesh ones. If you purchase good quality rollers they will last forever. They are easy to use and you just have to pay attention to the first pins. then youcan pin from one roller throug the other which is very easy
Skegeesmb, I think they exist in all size up to 2 inches, but I never saw larger one, by the way this is already very big. I use myself such 2 inches mesh rollers in great quantity and the weight on the head is a concern ! I will pm you regarding the 3 inches rollers

lolacurl

Thanks albane for this post! I've had a hard time with the magnetic rollers, and the soft ones arent big enough.

Yesterday I purchased the 1 1/2 inch mesh rollers and some Hindu Sheen, and my hair looks almost exactly like it does when my stylist does it! I was so excited. NO HEAT, and my hair is 4b texturized. I was amazed at how smooth it came out. I didnt have any crinkles at all. Iused the big bobby pins to push thru as well as end paper. A couple of drops of L'oreal smooth intense serum to finish, and I was all ready for church this morning. Amazing!

Thank God for mesh rollers! :D

VelvetRain

I don't like magnetic either. Anyone know why they call them magnetic anyway? I can only set with mesh rollers. Although in my area they are getting a little hard to find without having to resort to buying them online. My current ones I have had for years and they are starting to fall apart.

PrettyBrownEyes

michelle3147 said:
I don't like magnetic either. Anyone know why they call them magnetic anyway? I can only set with mesh rollers. Although in my area they are getting a little hard to find without having to resort to buying them online. My current ones I have had for years and they are starting to fall apart.

They are called magnetic because wet/damp hair clings to them like a magnet.

I saw some mesh rollers at Wal-Mart last night if that helps you any. They were small though.

Lindy

I'm really surprised to hear that so many of us are using mesh rollers!! Whatever works for you!! :)