Mesh Rollers vs Magnetic Rollers?

tc_333

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone who has tried both the mesh and the magnetic rollers would share 1) which one the like better and why; 2) did you notice a reduction or increase in drying time?; and 3) is it worth it switching to the mesh rollers if you already have a complete set of the magnetic rollers?

Thanks for any insight you can give! - T
(my problem w/ the magnetic is that it takes so long to dry, over 2 hours under dryer; with air-drying included, I kept my rollers in for over 4 hours and it was still wet when I took the rollers out. I will definitely try putting less hair on the rollers, but was wondering if maybe I should invest in the mesh rollers also.)

sweetcocoa

I have and still use both. The mesh dry way faster than the magnetic(I was so frustrated waiting for my hair to dry Saturday when I used my magnetic ones...) I don't get as smooth a set as I do with the magnetic...but I plan on using them again when I wetset this weekend. I have some bouffant size mesh that Valleygirl sent me. I think I'll try end papers(which I normally don't use) the next time. I really did like the way my hair dried faster. I use the wire mesh rollers...not the plastic ones. I have the plastic ones...but they aren't as fast drying as the wire(with the netting??) ones are. Sometimes they come with a brish in the middle that I removed.

tc_333

Thanks, SC- /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I stopped by Sally's to take a look at their selection. I did see the plastic mesh rollers and I also saw the velcro mesh rollers. I take it the velcro mesh are faster dryer, they seemed to have a lot more "holes".

Please let me know how the end papers work. I would much prefer to have a smooth set because I prefer straight hair over the curls. Thanks!!!

T

buffalosoldier

since I got my pibbs dryer I can dry my roller set in 45 mins. but Im thinking about trying the mesh cos maybe I can pull my hair tighter at the root.

NAY007

I see it like this, would you rather use a solid round brush or a vented one? Which one will dry your hair faster?

I go with the mesh rollers. I had my hair roller set on magnetic rolllers once and I hated it. First of all you can't secure them with bobby pins but you have to use clips, that don't give enough tension.

With the meshrollers you get the perfect tension and they dry sooo much faster.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
has anyone ever slept in mesh rollers? if so, are they more comfortable to sleep in than magnetic rollers?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Maybe they are velcro?

Check out Allandra's thread entitled something like "I did it. It's a miracle" I think. She posted pics of mesh rollers in there.

tryn2growmyhair

tc_333 said:
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone who has tried both the mesh and the magnetic rollers would share 1) which one the like better and why; 2) did you notice a reduction or increase in drying time?; and 3) is it worth it switching to the mesh rollers if you already have a complete set of the magnetic rollers?

Thanks for any insight you can give! - T
(my problem w/ the magnetic is that it takes so long to dry, over 2 hours under dryer; with air-drying included, I kept my rollers in for over 4 hours and it was still wet when I took the rollers out. I will definitely try putting less hair on the rollers, but was wondering if maybe I should invest in the mesh rollers also.)
If you are new to rollers use the magnetic ones. they now makes ones that are quick drying and have extra holes in them. If you are new to rollersetting and use mesh rollers, your ends could come out crispy. And I am saying this even though I have used really fancy, smooth mesh rollers that cost about $40 for 12. The cheapo magnetic rollers from the Dominican BSS store worked better for me.

simcha

Last week I posted that I tried and really liked the mesh rollers but since then I noticed my ends are looking a little ragged and tangly and have been thinking that I need a trim. It just occured to me, this started happening when I started using the mesh rollers.

I'm going to try them with end papers next time I set, which is tomorrow night.

I like the tight set I can get with them and the faster drying time but if I can't get my ends to act right I might have to return to magnetic rollers.

Allandra

simcha said:
Last week I posted that I tried and really liked the mesh rollers but since then I noticed my ends are looking a little ragged and tangly and have been thinking that I need a trim. It just occured to me, this started happening when I started using the mesh rollers.

I'm going to try them with end papers next time I set, which is tomorrow night.

I like the tight set I can get with them and the faster drying time but if I can't get my ends to act right I might have to return to magnetic rollers.
I haven't had any problems at all with my ends since using mesh rollers. I don't use end papers.

MissM

I prefer end papers with my mesh rollers. They just come out smoother to me. Mesh rollers are a definite must to help control new growth-you get a much tighter set.

karezone

MissM said:
I prefer end papers with my mesh rollers. They just come out smoother to me. Mesh rollers are a definite must to help control new growth-you get a much tighter set.

Do you use the ones with the brush or do you take it out?

Honi

There is no board.
I was wondering when and why the manufacturers started putting brushes in mesh rollers. Makes no sense to me.

I pull those suckers out.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I tried them recently and my hair dried much faster.

I also used it when I airdried my hair in a bun. I put my hair in a scunci while wet and put one mesh roller on the end and a silk scarf(but didn't cover the roller). In the am it was much drier than the magnetic and my hair and ends was soft and bouncy.

any tips on how to get the end papers just right? when I wet set with my jumbo mesh rollers, my ends turn out frizzy. when I try with the end papers.. my hands and the end papers just can't get it together for a smooth set.

DangerouslyShy

Webby me too girl!!...

I have 1 1/2 (gray) magnetic rollers, and I wanted to try 1 or 1 1/2 inch mesh rollers, I only have the small orange mesh rollers.

anyone know where to get those mesh rollers at?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for mesh rollers and I can't find them anywhere! This is why I haven't did a rollerset in a while. I haven't had the time to spend 2 hours under the dryer with the magnetic ones.

pink_flower

I mix my sets with magnetic and mesh rollers.

I like to use mesh rollers when I have a lot of new growth because I can get the rollers very taut. I also ditched the pins(can't get them to stay) and just use the duck bill clips. The drying time is faster with mesh but I find my hair is silkier with the magnetic ones.

I order my mesh rollers online: http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/anwimero.html

DangerouslyShy

pink_flower said:
I mix my sets with magnetic and mesh rollers.

I like to use mesh rollers when I have a lot of new growth because I can get the rollers very taut. I also ditched the pins(can't get them to stay) and just use the duck bill clips. The drying time is faster with mesh but I find my hair is silkier with the magnetic ones.

I order my mesh rollers online: http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/anwimero.html
What size did you get? and thank you so much for the link

Ladylynn

I set my hair with 1 1/2 and 1/3/4 mesh rollers last night. My hair dryed in a hour on cool which is really like sitting under a summer fan. The results were really good. Drying on cool left my hair very moisturized. I find the results very comparable with the magnetic rollers. I agree, the hair doesn't seem to come out as silky. I compared the two sets using magnetic rollers, then wire mesh. You have to look really hard at the hair texture to see the difference between the sets.

Ladylynn

thattvgirl said:
any tips on how to get the end papers just right? when I wet set with my jumbo mesh rollers, my ends turn out frizzy. when I try with the end papers.. my hands and the end papers just can't get it together for a smooth set.

I have yet to master the end papers. It just seems like too much work. When setting with mesh, you have to wrap the hair totally different from when you set with magnetic because the hair does not stick to the roller. So when you start the roller, hold your ends flat on the roller until you do your second rotation and the hair covers it. This takes some practice but you'll get it. Last night, I only had one roller section of hair that was frizzy at the ends.

aileendq

Hi Pink,

I have the purple ones. Are the gray ones bigger? What color are yours? I need to order more. My hair is growing (woo hoo!) and I think I need bigger rollers...

TIA