Hip Length 2011!! Let's do this!!

MariposaSexyGirl

How is everyone doing so far?

For me everything is going great. I've done a mini mini trim last month and one this month and I kinda feel some kind of way of not letting my hair grow longer lol. So I think I'm going to stop trimming it and just let is grow until December and cut back to HL. :look:. My hair is 1 and 1/2 inches away from my butt crack so surely by Dec my hair will be butt crack length and full HL. My husband is kind of interested too. He was like your hair has never been this long before, stop trimming it and see how much further it can go. So that is what I plan to do now.

Has anyone gotten any growth spurts yet? It's so hot and humid and rainy here lately that not only does my hair on my head grow a little faster but also the hair on my body ugh. If I shave my under arms the first day, by the second day in the shower I have a freaking hair shadow and the third day I will be shaving again. Unlike in the winter I can shave and it at least last two days longer. Oh well.

lolascurls

:grin: Whimsy, you and your threads....got me!

Current Length: MBL-WL in longest layers

Regimen: Moisturize twice daily, lots of braids and twists with buns to protect ends. I'm letting go of combs and brushes for a while too! I baggy my buns overnight.

Plans: Still transitioning to natural. 20 months post. Want to get to HL b4 any chopping occurs.

Hip Length Date: I would like September 2011

BostonMaria

For me everything is going great. I've done a mini mini trim last month and one this month and I kinda feel some kind of way of not letting my hair grow longer lol. So I think I'm going to stop trimming it and just let is grow until December and cut back to HL. :look:. My hair is 1 and 1/2 inches away from my butt crack so surely by Dec my hair will be butt crack length and full HL. My husband is kind of interested too. He was like your hair has never been this long before, stop trimming it and see how much further it can go. So that is what I plan to do now.

Has anyone gotten any growth spurts yet? It's so hot and humid and rainy here lately that not only does my hair on my head grow a little faster but also the hair on my body ugh. If I shave my under arms the first day, by the second day in the shower I have a freaking hair shadow and the third day I will be shaving again. Unlike in the winter I can shave and it at least last two days longer. Oh well.

I have no idea if I've had a growth spurt because its been so hot outside I can't straighten my hair. I haven't rollerset since mid-June and I am itchin to straighten it already. I am going to the pool this week and a water park on Monday so it might not be worth it.

Other than that I'm doing ok. I will do a professional blow dry in September to see how long my hair is. Until then I'm just in ponytails, buns or wash 'n go's.

:grin: Whimsy, you and your threads....got me!

Current Length: MBL-WL in longest layers

Regimen: Moisturize twice daily, lots of braids and twists with buns to protect ends. I'm letting go of combs and brushes for a while too! I baggy my buns overnight.

Plans: Still transitioning to natural. 20 months post. Want to get to HL b4 any chopping occurs.

Hip Length Date: I would like September 2011

Welcome to the group!!! :drunk:

Dee Raven

I'm in cruising mode right now. I haven't felt like straightening my hair for a couple of weeks so I've just been co-washing every couple of days and wearing a bun. One important lesson I learned though is that not all conditioners are made equal. I've had this cheapo VO5 conditioner for a while but I never use it because I prefer Nexxus or Kerasilk, but to my surprise that VO5 works 100 times better for detangling. The comb just glides through my curls and kinks. Amazing. :drunk: In September I want to do a length check and a trim. Hopefully I'll be at my ultimate goal and I can just start maintaining, thickening up the hemline. I've been dreaming of regular trims for like a month now. And I've even been contemplating BSL. :perplexed. We'll see when semptember gets here.

BostonMaria

I'm in cruising mode right now. I haven't felt like straightening my hair for a couple of weeks so I've just been co-washing every couple of days and wearing a bun. One important lesson I learned though is that not all conditioners are made equal. I've had this cheapo VO5 conditioner for a while but I never use it because I prefer Nexxus or Kerasilk, but to my surprise that VO5 works 100 times better for detangling. The comb just glides through my curls and kinks. Amazing. :drunk: In September I want to do a length check and a trim. Hopefully I'll be at my ultimate goal and I can just start maintaining, thickening up the hemline. I've been dreaming of regular trims for like a month now. And I've even been contemplating BSL. :perplexed. We'll see when semptember gets here.

I had to stop using Tresemme Naturals. Now I'm using Suave almond and shea butter conditioner (I think it always says "natural") and its the bomb.com My hair feels awesome when I use this.

Oh and it seems like everybody has scissors on their mind lately LOL

Ms Lala

Being pregnant has really thrown off my hair growth. It has been growing super slow. I'll just be happy to maintain at this point.

NikkiGirl

I am doing pretty good right now. I usually get my growth spurt in the fall months. It's weird, but I never noticed until I was actively watching my hair grow and measuring. Anyway, I have been wearing my hair straight the last couple of weeks, sometimes in a bun, sometimes out. I go on vacation to San Juan on Monday, so I will definitely be back to my curls then. And you are lucky, I have to shave almost everyday. I don't know why, it has always been that way. One day I will invest in laser hair removal. That would be great!

Lucia

Sounds Like a plan, I'd like to see how long your hair can grow too. I don't know if I'd had any growth spurts since I haven't straightened in months and i don't plan to until summer is done. I do know it's thicker for sure.

Don't cut that far back, try maintaining HL for a while, then see if you like it first. Maybe try cutting back to WL if you really want it shorter, but trust me I hated having to cut back to BSL and couldn't wait for it to grow back out and I'm keeping it super-long this time forget chasing blunt ends this time, I'll dust and maintain until all my hairs even.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I'm doing fine, I'm on break from school so my hair will be treated like a baby for the next 5-6 weeks! I think I'm having a growth spurt at the moment my NG is 1/2 to 3/4 longer than it normally is around relaxer time.

I've been thinking of hi-lights or some kind of color for the last few wks but haven't made a decision yet. But I'm definitely going back to shampooing & DC twice a wk with roller sets. No more aired drying for a good while and ACV rinses are back in my regi.

Sent from my Zio using Zio

NJoy

Here I grow again!

I think I'm doing ok. I haven't really been paying much attention to my hair lately. I had it in twists for about a week, finally took the twists out, washed and then braided in Celie braids. I haven't checked length so, I don't know about a growth spurt yet. I'm in the HYH challenge, really to hide my hair from myself and to encourage me to focus on fitness. :rolleyes: But, I am doing better with detangling so, I'm really happy about that. I also noticed when I washed my hair that it feels SO long and heavy now. So, I'm really happy about that too. I may do a length check in September, just to guage where I am.

Feeling really good today, hairwise. I went to the bss for supplies to do my daughter's hair. My own hair is in Celie braids pulled back and pinned up with a flexi8. One braid hanging down in the front like a bang. A guy came up and complimented my "natural hair". He was gushing on about how sexy and beautiful it is and how healthy mine looked. I thought he had to be gay to notice until he asked me out. Huh? :perplexed I left my house feeling like my hair was ratchet and who would see me in the bss anyhoo? Feeling great now. Thanks random brotha. :reddancer:

FoxxyLocs

I've been having the hardest time figuring out how to style my hair. I don't have a problem with protective styling, mostly buns for work, but if I actually want to look cute I don't know what to do. All the natural styles that I'm used to wearing don't look right anymore. I'm pretty discouraged about the whole thing. :sad:

Lucia

I've been having the hardest time figuring out how to style my hair. I don't have a problem with protective styling, mostly buns for work, but if I actually want to look cute I don't know what to do. All the natural styles that I'm used to wearing don't look right anymore. I'm pretty discouraged about the whole thing. :sad:

It's hard when your hair just doesn't want to cooperate, but experiment with hair toys, or braid outs/twistouts maybe change it up with a blow out, or braid it under a wig. Maybe you just need to experiment a little.

FoxxyLocs

My main problem is that all of my "out" styles are just too big. My afro, puff, twist out are all so enormous. They're cool if you're going for a very dramatic look, but most of the time I'm not. I can pin it up or put it in a bun, but when I want to wear it out, it's just too much. I think I'm going to try straightening since nothing else is working.

BostonMaria

Being pregnant has really thrown off my hair growth. It has been growing super slow. I'll just be happy to maintain at this point.

Ms Lala Looks like you have a little over a month left before you baby is born. My hair didn't grow too much when I had my daughters. It seems as tho my growth spurt associated with being pregnant only happened when I had my son. Not sure why.

Going to try to do a 2 month since trim update tonight :). If there's no noticeable growth I won't bother posting pics but I finally have a pic to compare to so I'd like to see what I've retained since the end of May :). I kinda hate that i trimmed my hair, I really did like it better longer, thin ends and all :lol:. Going to wash and flat iron soon and see what's up.

BostonMaria

This is a disgrace of a picture, but it was taken with my iPhone and my DD would not take a good picture LOL so I had to resort to taking a self-portrait :lachen: in the bathroom. Its past waist length, but not hip length yet. I'm thinking I'll be out of pergatory by December.

Once I find my camera somewhere in this house I will take a picture in September when I blow dry it professionally. Next month is my 4 year anniversary since my BC.

Attachments

• 128797767689.JPG
    128797767689.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 12879776768999.JPG
    12879776768999.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 84
I give up. My hair has grown noticeably since my trim 2 months ago to about mbl, I am almost at waist again but it has also gone THIN ended again. I don't want to post pics because of the skinniness. I'm done trimming because no matter how blunt I get it in 2 months it will be skinny again. I need to change my diet. I will almost surely make hip this year but it may be disgracefully thin by that time :lol:. Oh well.

I'm a picky and poor eater. I eat like a child, just salt and fat although I do take vitamins. I'm thinking maybe if I change my diet a bit my hair would grown in with thicker strands or something. I am just not happy with how thin looking it is.

This was my hair in May I believe shortly b4 my trim. Honestly, is it worthwhile being waist or hip length with such fine hair? It will probably look like this again by mid September. Is there any chance of thickening this up? I will just wait it out and see...
(those specks were the dirty mirror btw :lol:)
Picture 100.jpg

BostonMaria

I give up. My hair has grown noticeably since my trim 2 months ago to about mbl, I am almost at waist again but it has also gone THIN ended again. I don't want to post pics because of the skinniness. I'm done trimming because no matter how blunt I get it in 2 months it will be skinny again. I need to change my diet. I will almost surely make hip this year but it may be disgracefully thin by that time :lol:. Oh well.

I'm a picky and poor eater. I eat like a child, just salt and fat although I do take vitamins. I'm thinking maybe if I change my diet a bit my hair would grown in with thicker strands or something. I am just not happy with how thin looking it is.

This was my hair in May I believe shortly b4 my trim. Honestly, is it worthwhile being waist or hip length with such fine hair? It will probably look like this again by mid September. Is there any chance of thickening this up? I will just wait it out and see...
View attachment 121237

I had thin ends for a little while and CandyC & Chicoro kept telling me to keep growing it out and that my hair would eventually grow out evenly with the lead hairs (the section that looks thin). Three hair cuts later (cuz I'm stubborn) :rolleyes: my hair looked pretty much the same and I was still frustrated. Finally I stopped cutting for a year and my hair is finally full. Mind you I cut like 3 inches of progress. I think you should continue to take your vitamins, eat healthy, and do protective styling until your hair grows out. I understand that your hair is fine and that in itself is a challenge, but if you can grow it this long then that's half the battle. I say put down the scissors and let it do its thang.

FoxxyLocs

I flat ironed my hair the other day on really low heat (230), just to see how it would go. I got pretty much the same results that I got from my rollersets. I haven't used heat in so long, I was scared to do it, so I felt like I needed a trial run.

I'm going to pre-poo, wash, and D/C today, air dry (maybe rollerset), and then flat iron again tomorrow on higher heat. Maybe 275 or 300. I'll post pics if it goes well.

NJoy

Here I grow again!

View attachment 121237

I feel you on this one. Especially since my ends are relaxed. The thicker hair makes my ends look and feel anorexic. I keep thinking it would be better to just cut off my longest layer, like @Wymsy did but, since I don't wear it out, I'm just gonna let it do what it does and then decide.

Leave those ends alone, girl.

I flat ironed my hair the other day on really low heat (230), just to see how it would go. I got pretty much the same results that I got from my rollersets. I haven't used heat in so long, I was scared to do it, so I felt like I needed a trial run.

I'm going to pre-poo, wash, and D/C today, air dry (maybe rollerset), and then flat iron again tomorrow on higher heat. Maybe 275 or 300. I'll post pics if it goes well.

Awe, how you gonna tell us about your flat ironed hair and show up with no pics? :confused:

FoxxyLocs

Trust me it wasn't anything worth seeing. A big ol poofy mess. :lol: I'm doing it again tomorrow though, and I promise to post pics even if it doesn't turn out right - which is likely given my track record. :look:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
^^^ Girl, you know we'll take what we can get around here. Your poofy is our eye candy. :yep:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I used milk in my hair last night to loosen the curl pattern to make my ng more manageable. It worked. I followed with an oil rinse. Loved the feel and detangling was a breeze. I put it in two twists before bed and it felt a little dry this morning. I remoisturized and bunned with a huge faux bun ontop. It's friggen hot outside to-DAY! Oh, and I cornrowed my edges. I wish I could do my whole head.

RZILYNT

Hello all.
I have not posted in this thread since I have joined the challenge. I do not have any current long hair pictures to share since I decided to cut it.
I have almost a year of natural hair on my head although still transitioning.
I did make top of my hip bone, but this is my second go around making it to longer lengths. I have come to grips that I simply look better with shorter hair. New pic is in my avatar.
Will still be watching this thread as I want healthy natural hair, But I really need to be joining the APL challenges now. :wink2:

HHGs~

Dee Raven

Hello all, love to see the updates. BostonMaria your hair is looking great. VanderWoodsen, I experienced the same problem as you. My ends got horribly thin, and I don't feel like it's been that bad before. Very frustrating.

So I straightened my hair on Monday, and like I said before, I was horrified to see my ends. It was in part because of the way I flat ironed it, I didn't put any oil on it and it came out super dry. But also, I've been experiencing some breakage. :perplexed So I trimmed a little bit about 3/4 - 1". (Now that I think about it, it might be that I've been blowdrying my hair to straighten. I'm going to have to cut that out. I'm going to have to put the heat away.)

So anyways, looking at the photos, it looks like about 3 inches up the top of my hair catches up with the bottom, so I'm going to take the next 6 months-ish to even out my hemline, and then we'll see from there.

If you guys have any cute bun photos (MeMyselfand I, I see your's in your siggie, super cute) please share.

Attachments

• Before Aug check.jpg
    Before Aug check.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Before Aug 2 check.jpg
    Before Aug 2 check.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 79
  • After Aug check.jpg
    After Aug check.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 79
  • After Aug 2 check.jpg
    After Aug 2 check.jpg