HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

Cool! A lot of us will be having relaxer reveals around the same time! :yep:

I'm sitting with my Nexxus Humectress/Honey/EVOO dc on my hair now. Will rinse out in another half hour and airdry while watching a movie.

I cheated last week. I blow dried and flat ironed and pressed it a bit with my pressing comb :blush:

I think I am done with the heat for now. My hair is too short to enjoy it being straight any how.

I can finally wrangle my hair into a pseudo bun so I will be wearing that style for a while.

Prepooing, Washing and DC'in my hair today. Air drying and then bunning:). Thinking about stretching to 18 weeks. I haven't stretched longer then 12 weeks in a while and I sort of miss it.

Welp.....i'm dropping out of this challenge. My ends are really rough & I can't take the ssk that come with me giving up heat.

Good luck to everyone else in this challenge!

I cheated last week. I blow dried and flat ironed and pressed it a bit with my pressing comb :blush:

I think I am done with the heat for now. My hair is too short to enjoy it being straight any how.

I can finally wrangle my hair into a pseudo bun so I will be wearing that style for a while.

:spank:

glad you can do a bun now though! Hopefully keeping your hair out of the way will keep you from using heat again

Welp.....i'm dropping out of this challenge. My ends are really rough & I can't take the ssk that come with me giving up heat.

Good luck to everyone else in this challenge!

curlycrocheter best of luck. If your hair thrives with heat and you can't deal with the ssk's I understand. we have to do what's best for our hair. Thanks for the good luck and best of luck to you also!

Last edited:
Luvin this air drying thing, I'm finally starting to get the hang of it I think. Sooooo much less hassle than roller setting, i can focus my energy on treating and detangling, luv it! Hope I can keep it up for the rest of the year! We'll see.

Oh btw! Can u dry ur hair in plaits under the dryer on a COOL setting if ur in a rush? I havent tried it, does anyone do that?

Washed my leave out with Dove shampoo and then did an Aveda Damage Therapy treatment. After rising, towel dried for about half an hour before applying Aveda's smooth infusion as a leave in. This product has the consistency of a gel, hmm this could be a hit or miss.

Nothing exciting on my end just doing the bun thing, sometimes I jazz it up with a quiff or whatever you call them. However I did blowdry last week and tong a piece of hair at the back - naughty I know :-/ just to see if im on track

That's the reason I am not missing heat much. My hair is not long enough yet to enjoy it straight. Once I reach APL though, it's on lol.

Hey everyone been MIA, but I am still heat free. Yesterday I moisturized and sealed my hair than put in some big twists hoping for a chunky twist out today for a picnic with DH and DD.

image-2918851948.jpg

I liked the results so I went ahead and style it to my signature style with a pompadour.

image-2769128629.jpg

I was really feeling it

image-3179751665.jpg

Then I looked at the back and saw this puffy undefined soft cotton mess, lol

image-931941500.jpg

So I put it in a puff

image-993728406.jpg

ronie it still looked good!

My plan for this weekend (Friday night) is to roller set on extra large rollers ala Dominican style under the hooded dryer and wrap afterwards and see how straight I can get my hair. I will be using silicon mix products. Should be interesting. At least I will get my hair stretched out for a nice bun.

My plan for this weekend (Friday night) is to roller set on extra large rollers ala Dominican style under the hooded dryer and wrap afterwards and see how straight I can get my hair. I will be using silicon mix products. Should be interesting. At least I will get my hair stretched out for a nice bun.

hahaha, the front yeah, but the back was a hot mess. Should have seen it in person:lachen:. Your roller set makes me want to challenge myself and try a curlformer set.
Maybe this weekend i will. I need something different.

Checking In, still goin strong heat free. Only a little over 7 weeks to go, how r u ladies doin?

Wow, you are so right. I am so excited about flat ironing my hair in September. Did a 1/4 to 1/2 inch trim last night then soaked my hair in gleau oil. Cowshed this morning and DC with SD RCA. Hair feels amazing.

I can't wait until my flat iron either...anticipation!
Here's pics of how I wore my roller set this week

Banana clip

image-3868526658.jpg

Today is out again...close up of both sides and back

image-3918181337.jpg

One more day...it will have lasted the whole work week!

Last edited:
Still here...I was in Orlando on vacation so I was MIA for a while, but I am back and STILL heat free...GLAD TO SEE ALL OF YOU LADIES GOING STRONG

Sorry for the long silence. Still hanging in there, heat free. I had a few weeks where I had a lot of shedding but I think it was a combination of finger detangling and wet bunning. Went back to regular buns and wide tooth comb as needed-seemed to help. This weekend I'm going to add protein via Queen Helene cholesterol with an egg mixed in and will do an avocado mask with honey and olive oil for moisture. Want to perm next week so have to get my hair in order.

So I started this process a few minutes ago except I forgot to use the silicon mix and used lotta body instead. Now sitting under the dryer on low.

So I started this process a few minutes ago except I forgot to use the silicon mix and used lotta body instead. Now sitting under the dryer on low.

This was me 20 min ago...i rollerset tonight but the back is still damp! I am too tired so I pulled the rollers out and wrapped it! It wont be smooth as the front but I dont care im exhausted! All in all I am pleased , whoever suggested the serum for rollersets is an angel. It gave just what my hair needed! Straightest set I've gotten since I went natural! Also. Who here owns a pibbs! My poor lil dryer isnt cutting it anymore and I cant do 2 hours under the dryer! If anyone has one I have some questions for ya' lol!!!! So here are a few pics

Attachments

• image-381978591.jpg
    image-381978591.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 33
  • image-923242224.jpg
    image-923242224.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image-3625531929.jpg
    image-3625531929.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 36
This was me 20 min ago...i rollerset tonight but the back is still damp! I am too tired so I pulled the rollers out and wrapped it! It wont be smooth as the front but I dont care im exhausted! All in all I am pleased , whoever suggested the serum for rollersets is an angel. It gave just what my hair needed! Straightest set I've gotten since I went natural! Also. Who here owns a pibbs! My poor lil dryer isnt cutting it anymore and I cant do 2 hours under the dryer! If anyone has one I have some questions for ya' lol!!!! So here are a few pics

This looks nice! What serum did you use?

jprayze love your bun.

@rirrila wow girl I looked at the pictures before reading your post thinking you cheated, lol. That is an excellent roller set. Thanks for the serum suggestion. I'll keep that in mind when I try my curl former set next week.
This week I wore my hair mostly in a half up half down do. For the weekend I washed, DC'd, air dried in some chunky twists, and wore a curly fro. Will twist my hair today for the week. I need a hard core protein treatment though. Been manipulating too much this week. But I am too lazy to hop in and out of the shower. Ok here are the pics.

image-3560910952.jpg

Half up half down on an old twist out

image-623006949.jpg

I need to get 2 more inches to get it professionally shaped up, but for now this will have to do.

jprayze , thank you, I used the Dove serum and the phyto ends serum....ronie you are too much, hell I thought I cheated too but I promise you it was that serum lol! My problem is that it was still slightly damp so now its just as big as it usually is....I NEED A PIBBS! Also using low heat is not helping, but ehhh only a few weeks left . You guys keep up the good work. Both of you have lovely hair. Cant wait to see where we are in September!

^^I can't wait until September either! I used the stretched hair from the roller set for this bun. Hoping to wear all this week.

image-854739190.jpg

Hey You Guys,

Im itchin' for a perm rod set. I may do it on air dried hair, mist it with a tiny bit of some moisturizing spritz most likely SSI Moisture Mist and use Quidad Climate Control gel to deter frizz from the elements. What ya' think?

Hey You Guys,

Im itchin' for a perm rod set. I may do it on air dried hair, mist it with a tiny bit of some moisturizing spritz most likely SSI Moisture Mist and use Quidad Climate Control gel to deter frizz from the elements. What ya' think?

Gurrrl...that's a bunch of hair for some perm rods. I really want to see how you do it. Please let us know if you like it.

Hey You Guys,

I think I want to see the pictures ASAP.

Back