Hair stronger with heat than without?

p31woman

I was wondering if any other women had this phenomenon going on.

It seems that my hair has WAAAY less breakage and shedding when it is pressed than when I wear with with no heat. I have about 3 to 4 inches of relaxed ends left on my head and my hair seem to be stronger and healtheir with the heat applied. This boggles me! :spinning:

I want to wear my hair without heat once I cut the rest of the relaxer out, but if its gonna break and shed less with heat, I'm gonna be upset

Has anyone else experienced this?

itismehmmkay

You know...I've experienced this as well. :scratchch

I still stand by air-drying and less heat for sure. But, my hair is alot smoother and resists humidity better if I at least hit it w/ a ceramic iron after washing. :yep:

mzhotniz86

its because the heat closes the hair shaft. i only have this when i go to a stylist though. i cant seem to find the right appliances that will notdo heat damage to my hair. i used to go to the salon every week for a wash and flat iron. she used a flat iron and then the marcel (stove) curler. it stayed nice and smooth with no heat damage or breakage throughout the week. i do my hair myself now and i started back using my blowdryer cause my hair doesnt like air drying.

sorry for rambling :)

stargazer613

I'm the same way. My hair cannot stand to be air-dried and cannot tolerate wash n gos for more than a few days, otherwise I get major shedding and my ends start to look raggedy. Using heat every two weeks has been a life saver for my hair.

ClassicBeauty

I'm the same way. My hair cannot stand to be air-dried and cannot tolerate wash n gos for more than a few days, otherwise I get major shedding and my ends start to look raggedy. Using heat every two weeks has been a life saver for my hair.

Same here. Even my wash n gos look better if I let it dry under the bonnet dryer.:yep:
My hair seems much stronger when it's flat ironed than when it's curly.

p31woman

its because the heat closes the hair shaft. i only have this when i go to a stylist though. i cant seem to find the right appliances that will notdo heat damage to my hair. i used to go to the salon every week for a wash and flat iron. she used a flat iron and then the marcel (stove) curler. it stayed nice and smooth with no heat damage or breakage throughout the week. i do my hair myself now and i started back using my blowdryer cause my hair doesnt like air drying.

sorry for rambling :)

Girl you aren't rambling! You told my story better words than I did.

lisana

This seems to be better for my hair as well, especially after 8 weeks. I think for me, it's because my hair is fine and the new growth and relaxed hair meet at the demarcation point and want to break. The heat makes it all blend it and that is better for my hair to a point. I could do this all the time or it would break.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by stargazer613

Yep, my hair behaves like this also.

Lissamz

I actually co wash every other day and blow dry and flat iron after that...And my hair does just fine...Just check the Fotki...It may also be the blow dryer and flat iron I have...Both are Nano Silver Tech. with Ionic and Ceramic heating elements...But I know my hair does better with heat...No heat and my head looks a hot mess...:nono:

LABETT

My hair is funny and does not like to me airdried all the time and I have to pull out the blowdryer.
If I airdry all the time I will get breakage.

Kari107

It's true. For me when my hair is straight or heat styled it is more manageable so I have to use less manipulation. Therefore, I shed/break less hair.

strawberry-jelly

It's the same for me. I have less breakage/shedding issues when my hair is flat ironed straight. I don't like to use too much heat, so I airdry my hair in a bun overnight and that leaves it about 90% dry, then I run the blow dryer through it with a comb to stretch it out real quick to to get it completely dry. This usually takes no more than 10 min. Then I flat iron. I refuse to do a full blowdry AND flat iron. My method has worked great for me.

Evazhair

Yeah it is wierd. As a natural, my hair could stand mega heat: hard presses, blow dryer, flat iron, etc. . Relaxed, heat is the devil to my hair.