hair doing bad WITHOUT heat. anyone else???

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I do not use high heat. Medium heat blowdry weekly before twisting.

BlackHairDiva

Bonjour!

In my case my hair does better with heat. Especially when it comes to deep conditioning. My hair also love Ionic Dryers...my become softer and yet moisturized after a blow dry

hi ladies
im à natural 4b (à at the back ). since this year ive been on à régi with heat. reggie:
detangle +dc on damp hair all night
rinse in braids
blow dry tension method (ic heat serum) + tiny bit s curl spray.rebun section.
take out twisted sections about 2 hours after. my hair thrives...
i do this every 2 weeks.

i then thought i should try again the no heat reggie.... ever since i got back 3 weeks ago :breakage,dryness,itchy scalp etccc .

people say heat is devil. but my hair is doing worse than ever without it. i have fine hair. and straightened à bit made it easier...healthier i guess.

anyone in this case??

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
I do not use high heat. Medium heat blowdry weekly before twisting.

Thanks for the response. My dryer only has warm or hot and low or high.

So maybe I need to do low + hot, instead of low + warm because that's a serious fail :lol:.

nathansgirl1908

[braid and let air dry half of the way. Then blow dry on low about 12 inches away from my hair...this is just to remove excess moisture.
Lol. I've just started doing this too and it works for me.

As for the main question, my hair actually thrives with no heat. I'm a fine 4a or 4b. I did wash and gos for a year after my big chop. My hair was growing but I got so many ssk's. I realized that later if I had taken better care of it, I would likely be waist length by now.
What works best for me keeping it stretched in braids. It doesn't get as tangled.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
i use to swear by my puffs!!!! hubby kept saying " your small balls of hair are all over the house"... that didnt wake me up did it.... my hair would be longer now if i listended to my hair! anyway....ill try catching up.

i did my apoghee today and blow dried.... WOW! hair is getting back to normal. and it is smooth . its not bone straight but its smooth and soft! i love it.
i will do 4 twists to sleep each night. my hair holds Well for 15 days like this. and by moisturizing like...every 4 days. its stays moisturized Well.

heat is the must to me!!!! some pro naturls will shout "noooo heat ".... nope im listening to my hair.

when being young i had natural hair always straightened. always with hot comb. my hair.was thriving. was healthy and long! so...it can work if we be careful ;-)
You're not the only fine 4b head that likes a little heat. SSKs are the devil and a little blowdry is angel fire for them!

You are rright to not listen to the fads--they dont work for everyone and all types of hair.

My hair was also at its healthiest when it was pressed and greased (YES grease!) as a child.

Glad you're finding your hair-groove again

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
For those of you using heat, are you using high heat? When I put my dryer on warm and try the tension method, I just get frizzy, stretched hair and it just looks a frizzy (maybe fuzzy is the better word) mess.

I'm not unrealistic and expect sleek, straight natural hair :lol:, but I don't think my hair should be so fuzzy either. At the same time, I doubt that I could get away with high heat on my hair and not suffer some breakage.
Yp Dreamn--big ole puff ball:lol:

I blow dry at medium to low heat. If you're a 4b, it probably will be fuzzy. There are serums that will make it look a little sleeker, though. I wouldnt know what they are as I dont use them

cutenss

I too, am a fined haired natural. Even when I relaxed years, and years ago, my hair liked heat. It seem like it made the products I use work better, to me. When I went back to being natural, I use heat as well. But over the course of time, me hearing that "heat is bad", in essence, I stopped using it so much. Now I am going back to it. And I like it. Plus my hair gets pretty straight with just a blow dry. And I do blow dry on high heat, but on dry hair that has been banded. Here is my hair from last weeks blow dry on dry hair.

HTH

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
Yp @Dreamn--big ole puff ball:lol:

I blow dry at medium to low heat. If you're a 4b, it probably will be fuzzy. There are serums that will make it look a little sleeker, though. I wouldnt know what they are as I dont use them

Thanks. I'm 4 something, I don't know if it's A or B. I tried the tension method for the first time and mimicked what I saw in a YT video. In the video, the woman avoids doing her ends. That made my ends a frizzy ball.

So I had frizz ball ends and fuzzy everything else :lol:. Anyway, I'm not one to manipulate too much so my hair is in a bun (which does not make me happy :look:) this week and took a lot of work to get my hair just to lay a tiny bit flat to go into a bun. Needless to say, I'm having a bad hair week :lol:.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
I too, am a fined haired natural. Even when I relaxed years, and years ago, my hair liked heat. It seem like it made the products I use work better, to me. When I went back to being natural, I use heat as well. But over the course of time, me hearing that "heat is bad", in essence, I stopped using it so much. Now I am going back to it. And I like it. Plus my hair gets pretty straight with just a blow dry. And I do blow dry on high heat, but on dry hair that has been banded. Here is my hair from last weeks blow dry on dry hair.

HTH

Beautiful hair! Yeah, I'm doing something wrong :lol:.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
4b checking in.

I've tried several times skipping the heat but my ends suffer.

I lightly blowdry weekly after shampooing, DC and detangling. Then I do a twistout bun or any other PS of choice.

Heat (for me) is not the devil.

You're right. Heat is not he devil. It's improper use of heat and technique.

Though I have all the tools (blowdryer, flat iron) at home, I don't trust that I can care for my hair long term using heat to style. I don't do that well and can't see the back or top of my head well enough either. I let my licensed, trained hairstylist (whom I love and trust) to use heat tools on my delicate strands. I know everyone doesn't have or want that option, but I believe that a little heat is needed from time to time to help keep the cuticle smooth.

coolsista-paris

For those of you using heat, are you using high heat? When I put my dryer on warm and try the tension method, I just get frizzy, stretched hair and it just looks a frizzy (maybe fuzzy is the better word) mess.

I'm not unrealistic and expect sleek, straight natural hair :lol:, but I don't think my hair should be so fuzzy either. At the same time, I doubt that I could get away with high heat on my hair and not suffer some breakage.

Ive done both. High heat by positionng blow.dryer far (i.avoid high heat on the ends.though)

coolsista-paris

Yp Dreamn--big ole puff ball:lol:

I use ic fatansia heat serum. I dont have fuzzy hair after. If you twist every section after blow drying it ,it will be ok. Then undo thé twists 2 hours after or next day. It will almost be silky. Im 4b

Last edited:

coolsista-paris

HTH

Great résults and beautiful hair ;-)

BlaqBella

I agree with cutenss that I knew my hair liked heat when I was relaxed years ago. However I've been switching to every other week with braids and rollerset ends(on blowdried hair) to flatironing. My hair does better with some heat, always has.

karenjoe

I'm going to continue w my ponytails and set the ends w large setting rollers

then I'll switch back to airdrying for 30 min
and blow drying...
I don't need to flat iron after this ends look & feel good

see my ponytails

http://public.fotki.com/karenjoe/

Last edited:

Stormy

Oh yes! I'm a 4b fine haired natural too. Heat is definitely my friend (as long as I use it right). My hair is in a PS right now; two strand twists with fluffy twist hair mixed in while I let it grow out and try to retain some length. When I do wear my hair out I absolutely have to use heat. Otherwise I'd have SSKs and breakage like crazy! I took my twists out a couple of weeks ago and straightened my hair to trim it. I got it bone straight and my hair just loved it! I NEVER, repeat NEVER suffer all of those problems I just mentioned when I straighten my hair. even if it's just enough to stretch it out more. No problems at all.

karenjoe

you can get natural hair sleek:yep:
it take longer. you have to blow dry in small sections
air dry before blow dry about 20 min high heat is ok
use an old school heavy grease! :yep:
flat iron in small sections also
natural hair is stronger...

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I think will be changing my regimen. i'm thinking about straightening every other week and wearing a bun every other week. Hopefully I can retain some length that way.

coolsista-paris

Oh yes! I'm a 4b fine haired natural too. Heat is definitely my friend (as long as I use it right). My hair is in a PS right now; two strand twists with fluffy twist hair mixed in while I let it grow out and try to retain some length. When I do wear my hair out I absolutely have to use heat. Otherwise I'd have SSKs and breakage like crazy! I took my twists out a couple of weeks ago and straightened my hair to trim it. I got it bone straight and my hair just loved it! I NEVER, repeat NEVER suffer all of those problems I just mentioned when I straighten my hair. even if it's just enough to stretch it out more. No problems at all.

Exaclty the same here. I dont suffer from heat. And things go well ONLY when heat used. Ive been having à setback for 3 weeks last month. .... I finally caught up after blow drying. MY hair.is getting its balance back slowly but surely :).
I.might do braids in january. À personnal crown and glory challenge . I need better retention. Fine hair is just so difficult ....

coolsista-paris

you can get natural hair sleek:yep:
it take longer. you have to blow dry in small sections
air dry before blow dry about 20 min high heat is ok
use an old school heavy grease! :yep:
flat iron in small sections also
natural hair is stronger...

I am so scared of tryin that sleek look . Im afraid to damage my fine hair. I dont trust salons so... J almost.made it once. It came out good. Not sleek though.

coolsista-paris

I think will be changing my regimen. i'm thinking about straightening every other week and wearing a bun every other week. Hopefully I can retain some length that way.

I blow dry every 15 days. Hair is fine. I attach my hair like à bun,i twists the ponytail and turn it to make à bun. Tuck the ends well.

I moisturized 2 days ago my hair is still good.