Coconut Milk & Heat

Chimma

Has anyone here used coconut milk on their hair and put heat on it?

I have found that, so far, nothing works better at getting my hair smooth enough to put into a bun or ponytail without heat than coconut milk, especially since my hair is natural and it is at an in-between length -> not long enough to easily go into a bun. But I am wondering if it is dangerous to let heat touch hair that has coconut milk on it or if the coconut milk makes hair less susceptible to heat. I would like to ask you if you have applied coconut milk to your hair, what has been the result of the two coming in contact?

kitchen_tician

I've only used it as conditioner mixed with lots of other stuff. I've never left it in my hair for styling purposes. How does it smell once dry?

Chimma

I smell the coconut milk as I am applying it. I don't smell it when it is dry, but then maybe I am insensitive to the smell. I never have used it alone though so far, I have just used it in combination with avocado oil and a creamy conditioner.

crml_buttafly

ooo this is my new love!

i made a mixture of coconut milk,evoo,salerm,honey and con as a leave in for my kids(i even use it in my 7 mth olds hair) and i love it it leaves their hair soft for days!!!

well today i descided to spray some in my hair and then put my scarf on while i did stuff around the house...ladies this is awesome!! my hair layed down so nicely ..even after i went outside in this va humidity my hair layed perfest with waves and everything!! i couldnt keep my hainds out of my hair. i went to my husbands job and everyone commented on how silky and shiny was.im definately gonna spray my hair with this everynight before i go to bed

i know this wasnt a answer to your heat qustion but coconut milk as a leave in is a definate keeper

Neroli

I LOVE coconut milk, it is my new add-in staple along with natural oils; however, I would NOT use alone as leave-in if using heat because I believe certain ingredients are needed in order to obtain protection from heat (i.e., quaternium, polyquaternium, phytantriol, PVP copolymer). I use Vidal Sasson Heat Defender whenever I THINK I might use heat. Just to be safe, mix the coconut milk with a serious heat protectant before applying heat, I would NOT play guessing game whether the constituents of the coconut milk has what it takes to protect my hair because EVERYTHING can be undone by apply heat to unprotected hair. Hope this helps.

Honi

There is no board.
The only time I've used heat when I use coconut milk is when I'm doing a pretreatment combined with some olive oil. I put the mixture on, put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 15 minutes and then wash it out.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
I LOVE coconut milk, it is my new add-in staple along with natural oils; however, I would NOT use alone as leave-in if using heat because I believe certain ingredients are needed in order to obtain protection from heat (i.e., quaternium, polyquaternium, phytantriol, PVP copolymer). I use Vidal Sasson Heat Defender whenever I THINK I might use heat. Just to be safe, mix the coconut milk with a serious heat protectant before applying heat, I would NOT play guessing game whether the constituents of the coconut milk has what it takes to protect my hair because EVERYTHING can be undone by apply heat to unprotected hair. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great advice! Thanks Neroli!!! I've only used it w/heat as Honi explained. I used a heating cap in an effort to get it to soak into my hair.