hair doing bad WITHOUT heat. anyone else???

coolsista-paris

hi ladies
im à natural 4b (à at the back ). since this year ive been on à régi with heat. reggie:
detangle +dc on damp hair all night
rinse in braids
blow dry tension method (ic heat serum) + tiny bit s curl spray.rebun section.
take out twisted sections about 2 hours after. my hair thrives...
i do this every 2 weeks.

i then thought i should try again the no heat reggie.... ever since i got back 3 weeks ago :breakage,dryness,itchy scalp etccc .

people say heat is devil. but my hair is doing worse than ever without it. i have fine hair. and straightened à bit made it easier...healthier i guess.

anyone in this case??

Last edited:

ellebelle88

Yes, I experienced the same problem you did, the only thing is, I did it the opposite way. I did co-washes almost every other day and I would deep condition on the weekends, then I would let my hair dry in a bun. Everytime I washed, I lost a gazillion strands of hair and my hair was really tangled. Well, I recently discovered my hair needs to be stretched. Ever since I've started braiding my hair while wet and allow it to dry to at least 60-70% (either by sitting under a dryer or letting it dry in braids overnight), I have no problems styling it afterward or come the next wash day.

Because of this, I don't think my hair will ever be able to do a wash and go. I've not tried to do one yet but its scary to think about how much a wash and go would tangle, mat, and damage my hair.

LadyPBC

To answer your question coolsista-paris "I don't know". I'm afraid of heat but I think I wanna try your regi (minus the s curl spray) :grin:

hi ladies
im à natural 4b (à at the back ). since this year ive been on à régi with heat. reggie:
detangle +dc on damp hair all night
rinse in braids
blow dry tension method + s curl spray
bun or big twists. my hair thrives...
i do this every 2 weeks.

i then thought i should try again the no heat reggie.... ever since i got back 3 weeks ago :breakage,dryness,itchy scalp etccc .

people say heat is devil. but my hair is doing worse than ever without it. i have fine hair. and straightened à bit made it easier...healthier i guess.

anyone in this case??

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
4b checking in.

I've tried several times skipping the heat but my ends suffer.

I lightly blowdry weekly after shampooing, DC and detangling. Then I do a twistout bun or any other PS of choice.

Heat (for me) is not the devil.

coolsista-paris

Yes, I experienced the same problem you did, the only thing is, I did it the opposite way. I did co-washes almost every other day and I would deep condition on the weekends, then I would let my hair dry in a bun. Everytime I washed, I lost a gazillion strands of hair and my hair was really tangled. Well, I recently discovered my hair needs to be stretched. Ever since I've started braiding my hair while wet and allow it to dry to at least 60-70% (either by sitting under a dryer or letting it dry in braids overnight), I have no problems styling it afterward or come the next wash day.

Because of this, I don't think my hair will ever be able to do a wash and go. I've not tried to do one yet but its scary to think about how much a wash and go would tangle, mat, and damage my hair.

i lost lots of hair without the braids too.! i just.might have to continue with heat then...no wash n go ever. j wont even try. fine 4b ...bad idea

coolsista-paris

To answer your question coolsista-paris "I don't know". I'm afraid of heat but I think I wanna try your regi (minus the s curl spray) :grin:

yeah try it out. for me it works so Well.
i put s curl à little on each section after blow drying it then retwist it back and stay like until i finished housework (1 to 3 hours). i then dont need to moisturise for 2-3 days.. then i s curl about every 3-4 days till next wash .
this method keeps my hair.moisturized. of course à little spray. you can even spray your hand then put some on section.

try without and with to see which you prefer ;-)

MsSonya

I just started blow drying my hair and flat iron wkly.:ohwell:
So I'll see how it goes. I was cowashing daily, wearing in a high bun to stretch and twisting at night.

I was beginning to get those little knots on the end. My ends were not getting the proper moisture it needed. It's easier for me to moisturize my hair when it's straight. I'm at the critical stage of SL, so I know how crucial it is to pay attention to the ends.

My hair is very fine, so I was proably over maniuplating it. Now I DC on Fri/Sat. On Sunday I wash, blow dry and flat iron. And just moisturize and bun through the week.

Trying to get to APL like yesterday. :yep:

Ash25

Me!! Well it was, then I started using heat again. My natural 4b hair needs heat! Ive tried to air dry with no heat using a ton of moisturizer....um no. Stretching my hair helps to ensure the entire hair shaft is moisturized and that the hairs dont get too tangled.

Cathy Howse said something about low heat on the hair shaft helps seal in moisture better....or somethin like that idk.

I usually moisturize with QB AOHC & Burdock Root Butter Cream, and Sapote oil...braid and let air dry half of the way. Then blow dry on low about 12 inches away from my hair...this is just to remove excess moisture. Then ill flat iron using low-med heat. Ill do that every 2-3 months.

Angelicus

I like to use heat. I don't like frizzy new growth and I love straight hair. I rather just straighten it to not deal with two textures.

Sent from my LHCF App.

DominicanBrazilian82

Angelicus said:
I like to use heat. I don't like frizzy new growth and I love straight hair. I rather just straighten it to not deal with two textures.

Sent from my LHCF App.

Angelicus You've been MIA for a little minute. Glad to see you're back posting and updating :). Your hair is lovely.

youwillrise

years back i used to do my twists on heat stretched hair. i stopped doing it because i was afraid that i was going to start regretting it.

now, im at the point where ive been really thinking about bringing that back because it's been tough without it. i dont need my hair to be super straight or anything. i just need enough stretch in my hair to elongate my twists, have them looking neater longer, have them a bit easier to put in and take out...easier to section, etc.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
yeah my hair has been looking so thin. i havent used heat in a long time. im trying to go until the end of the year with no heat so i can just get a huge cut and start over. I might just cut it off early.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've been going back and forth with the use of heat. I also feel like I get more single strand knots when I don't blowdry or straighten my hair. My hair also doesn't like to be wet a lot. The only downfall with straightening with a flat iron is that my hair seems like it gets thinner on the ends and has caused split ends. So I've been avoiding the flat iron since August. Blowdrying hasn't really affected my hair in a negative way. Right now, I've been doing a twistout routine. I was trying to stick with wearing buns but felt like the bun style would cause unseen breakage on the sides, top, and nape area. My hair likes to be out and free with no restrictions.

Sent via Android LHCF App

30something

I notice I can not go long with out straighten out my hair with out a least a blow dryer. After about 6 weeks my hair gets too compacted and tangled and I get SSK from shed hair. I tried several times to do the no heat thing but my coarse 4b hair needs to be straighten once in a while.

fatimablush

me.

i am now texlaxed and my hair just looked lifeless without heat. i don't abuse the heat though.

when i first went natural i used heat every now and then and my hair was fine. when i went natural again and did not use heat...it didn't go very well.

HanaKuroi

I was having issues with this. I am natural. I kept seeing little c's. I m/s like always. I henna. I used gpb. I dc. I don't use cones. I only use heat 2xs a year.

It turned out I needed protein. GPB wasn't cutting it. I added eggs to MYC banana protein conditioner and my hair turned around immediately. No more c's.

Naturals need real protein occasionally.

I wonder how much longer my hair would be had I had protein in my regimen? I have been stuck at between cbl and apl forever. Now with my setback I am cbl again.

I suggest you try eggs and oil and conditioner.

MzSwift

I've already started doing a light flat iron (my avi and siggy) once per month this fall. After about 1.5 -2 weeks, I rock cornrows under wigs until the next heat stretch. Depending on how cold it gets this winter, I may stick with it. I still think my strands are too fine to keep them exposed to the winter air -- heat or no heat.

During the spring/summer, I stick with more WNG appropriate styles like mini braids or cornrows under wigs.

GL w/your regi! :)

Aicer

I think that's what's wrong with my hair.
I need to add heat or stretch it because my hair still breaks and have these mid stand splits.

I have tried everything- dc weekly, moisturize daily, protein, henna, cowash, no heat, egg treatment, vitamins, drinking plenty of water, wearing protective styles, twists etc

Without fail still breakage...but I haven't tried heat yet

coolsista-paris

I've been going back and forth with the use of heat. I also feel like I get more single strand knots when I don't blowdry or straighten my hair. My hair also doesn't like to be wet a lot. The only downfall with straightening with a flat iron is that my hair seems like it gets thinner on the ends and has caused split ends. So I've been avoiding the flat iron since August. Blowdrying hasn't really affected my hair in a negative way. Right now, I've been doing a twistout routine. I was trying to stick with wearing buns but felt like the bun style would cause unseen breakage on the sides, top, and nape area. My hair likes to be out and free with no restrictions.

Sent via Android LHCF App

yeah. wearing buns all the time just broke my hair at the front and sides..for the moment no choice as buns are à must at work...hate it

HanaKuroi

Aicer said:
I think that's what's wrong with my hair.
I need to add heat or stretch it because my hair still breaks and have these mid stand splits.

I have tried everything- dc weekly, moisturize daily, protein, henna, cowash, no heat, egg treatment, vitamins, drinking plenty of water, wearing protective styles, twists etc

Without fail still breakage...but I haven't tried heat yet

Have you been to the struggling withnatural hair thread?

You should try there. It could be the products/ingredients you are using. I can't link you, I am on my phone. Try that thread and list your products and regimen. They have great suggestions.

coolsista-paris

I notice I can not go long with out straighten out my hair with out a least a blow dryer. After about 6 weeks my hair gets too compacted and tangled and I get SSK from shed hair. I tried several times to do the no heat thing but my coarse 4b hair needs to be straighten once in a while.

exaclty what ive been living for 3 weeks....knots...breakage etc.. all that since i stopped using heat

coolsista-paris

thanks for all of your answers. tomorrow if i have time im gonna do à apoghee 2 step treatment. i know my hair like protein. it was doing very Well with.the apoghee 2 min overnight everything 15 days (yes...protein overnight i said lol) .my hair loved that. its fine.hair i got . i had no breakage on detangling as the 2 min on damp hair has good slip.
i will définetly use my blow dryer again every 15 days!!!
my hair was its best then.

i again had hair coming out today!!!! i felt like crying!!!! need to get that balance back really quick. i might then try out individual braids with extensions of course... because braids/twists with my own hair = fizz and breakage !

its soon gonna snow here in france so...i need to protect this hair of mine.. although braids are not allowed at work....pfff ill do it

Songbirdb

I have fine hair and I blowdry weekly and bun. This seems to keep my hair from breaking. I get single strand knots if I try to wng or any none stretched styling. Heat just works for my fine hair. And although I loved my puff, it was too much manipulation and detangling and I would lose a lot of hair.

coolsista-paris

I have fine hair and I blowdry weekly and bun. This seems to keep my hair from breaking. I get single strand knots if I try to wng or any none stretched styling. Heat just works for my fine hair. And although I loved my puff, it was too much manipulation and detangling and I would lose a lot of hair.

i use to swear by my puffs!!!! hubby kept saying " your small balls of hair are all over the house"... that didnt wake me up did it.... my hair would be longer now if i listended to my hair! anyway....ill try catching up.

i did my apoghee today and blow dried.... WOW! hair is getting back to normal. and it is smooth . its not bone straight but its smooth and soft! i love it.
i will do 4 twists to sleep each night. my hair holds Well for 15 days like this. and by moisturizing like...every 4 days. its stays moisturized Well.

heat is the must to me!!!! some pro naturls will shout "noooo heat ".... nope im listening to my hair.

when being young i had natural hair always straightened. always with hot comb. my hair.was thriving. was healthy and long! so...it can work if we be careful ;-)

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

I never get ssks anymore.

Henna is the reason.

I think henna gets a bad name because people aren't using BAQ henna, adding lemon juice and not deep conditioning after. Henna also has to be smoothed on.

I still do braidout puffs. Wngs or no manipulation puffs were :nono:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have to use heat for best results and to minimize breakage. My hair breaks more when air dried. I occasionally test the waters to see if my air drying techniques have improved and each time I'm left with more breakage than normal and regretting not using heat. ETA: I roller set or dry a wet bun under a hooded dryer.

abcd09

The only way moisturizing and sealing works for me is if I plastic wrap it everytime and sit under a hooded dryer for 10 mins. My hair feels silky and moist after. Before using the wrap and heat component, my hair was just not moisturizing well at all.

bb09

The only way moisturizing and sealing works for me is if I plastic wrap it everytime and sit under a hooded dryer for 10 mins. My hair feels silky and moist after. Before using the wrap and heat component, my hair was just not moisturizing well at all.
@abcd09 -That sounds great. Do you do this daily?

Last edited:

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
For those of you using heat, are you using high heat? When I put my dryer on warm and try the tension method, I just get frizzy, stretched hair and it just looks a frizzy (maybe fuzzy is the better word) mess.

I'm not unrealistic and expect sleek, straight natural hair :lol:, but I don't think my hair should be so fuzzy either. At the same time, I doubt that I could get away with high heat on my hair and not suffer some breakage.