Hair Skin Nails Vitamins Making Hair Thinner?

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I've been on hair skin and nails vits for over a year on and off now and I can't say there has been a lick of improvement in my hair and if I'm not imagining things my hair seems slightly thinner than it did before :cry3:. It just seems wimpier. I was blaming my relaxer/heat damage for this but what if it's the vitamins?
Has anyone had an effect like this?

Could it be that the biotin is making it grow faster but how in thinner? Or grow in faster but fall out sooner?
I think I officially quit hair vitamins.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
i don't :pullhair:
my diet has always been pretty bad. i think its actually improved of late.

Before you make any drastic changes, PLEASE, get those checked. Earlier this year I had problems with thinning hair. My vitamin D AND iron levels were off. Any health issues can make a difference, so ruling that out should make things easier for you.

I was able to reverse things by supplementing with the appropriate supplements and increasing my protein levels, plus adding more fresh vegetables into my DAILY diet.

Make that appointment for a physical with blood work tomorrow.

blackgurll

Vitafusion Hair, Skin, Nails Gummies
Has tons of Vit A , 6000 IU per serving
Too much vitamin A can cause hair loss.
Vitamin A is essential for many bodily functions, including healthy hair growth. However, because this vitamin is fat-soluble, your body stores the excess you take in, which can lead to toxicity, and the symptoms of this include hair loss. Along with vitamin A toxicity, many other causes of hair loss are possible.
Link
Also: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-a/safety/hrb-20060201

But at least it's reversible:
Vitamin A:
Too much vitamin A can cause hair loss. People can get too much of this vitamin through vitamin supplements or medicines. Once the body stops getting too much vitamin A, normal hair growth resumes.
American Academy of Dermatology

A visit with your doctor for blood work sounds like a good idea, in addition to cutting back on vitamin A in supplements.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Before you make any drastic changes, PLEASE, get those checked. Earlier this year I had problems with thinning hair. My vitamin D AND iron levels were off. Any health issues can make a difference, so ruling that out should make things easier for you.

I was able to reverse things by supplementing with the appropriate supplements and increasing my protein levels, plus adding more fresh vegetables into my DAILY diet.

Make that appointment for a physical with blood work tomorrow.

Thanks, my blood work is long over due actually.
I've been getting more protein than usual of late. But I'd bet I'm low in Vitamin D.

nymane

I agree with the suggestions to visit your doctor and get blood work done. I experienced severe shedding a few years ago...due to anemia that I was unaware of. Now that it's under control with bc and iron supplements, I don't have any issues with shedding

I'm currently taking biotin, msm, and bamboo silica, and I swear by them.