hair type and hair growth rate

atlien

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
atlien said:
Yung, I do believe that different hair types grow faster then another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean different hair types have a higher growth rate than others, retain more length than others, or both?

I always thought that growth rate was based on a number of factors but hair type (texture) wasn't one of them.

One of my asian friends cut her hair to her ears in September of last year. Her hair is now at her shoulders! I was shocked!
But some people just get phenomenal hair growth whether they have 4B or 3A hair.

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read in SELF magazine that Asian hair grows faster than caucasian hair and cauc. hair grows faster than black hair (on average). Source was Loreal Scientists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do believe that different hair types grow faster then others, but this is just my belief. Your friend is Asian and she cut her hair that short and it has grown to her shoulders It grew healthy didn't it, no raggedy ends or extreme breakage just growth. Her hair probably has no curl pattern and her sebaceous gland excrete excessive oils to keep the hair moisturized to minimize breakage. The less the curl pattern the easier it is for the ends to receive the natural oils secreted from your scalp. People who have tightly coiled hair may receive more breakage decreasing length because the curl pattern is so tight that the oils from the scalp can not reach the ends. Just my observations through reading and observing different hair types including my own

atlien

To all,

Maybe I should have said "I think that different hair types retain more length then others". I believe this statement is more correct.

katie

I don't see what's so unbelievable about Asians having the fastest growth rate and Blacks the slowest.There are many differences between races.Blacks are prone to sickle cell anemia,white males are more prone to baldness and react less positively to baldness treatments than non whites,etc...The list of racial differences goes on and on so I don't see why hair growth rate can't be one of them.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
I don't see what's so unbelievable about Asians having the fastest growth rate and Blacks the slowest.There are many differences between races.Blacks are prone to sickle cell anemia,white males are more prone to baldness and react less positively to baldness treatments than non whites,etc...The list of racial differences goes on and on so I don't see why hair growth rate can't be one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may have the fastest growing hair but I wont resort to saying that African American Hair is the slowest. All I know is that my hair grows the national avg or more in a month

Boadicea

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
Does coarse hair grow slower than fine or medium texture hair because it requires more stuff like protein and biotin? Because i notice that my girlfriends fingernails grow faster than mine and hers is way thinner. I figured since nails are made up about the same stuff as hair it would be similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

The growth rate for your finger nails and for you hair is not the same and also not connected.

Though the need some of the same things to accumulate growth (which is why, sometimes, your nails will grow fast when you take certain supplements), your nails need things that your hair can certainly do without.

For instance, nails require Flourine and Calcium (among other things) for a healthy growth cycle. Your hair, however, doesn't like calcium (on an everyday basis for the long-term) and doesn't need flourine.

Also, hair and nails need different amount of different things to keep them healthy and growing.

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
atlien said:
To all,

Maybe I should have said "I think that different hair types retain more length then others". I believe this statement is more correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there are people on this board and scientists who can distinguish between growth rate and retention who say that Asians have the fastest growth rate and Africans have the slowest growth rate. The difference in length retention among the races is not really disputed.

What I would like to know is where scientists and others get their proof that Asian hair grows the fastest (not taking retention into account)?

-Ebony

katie

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

They may have the fastest growing hair but I wont resort to saying that African American Hair is the slowest. All I know is that my hair grows the national avg or more in a month

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.I assume by African American hair you just mean black hair.Or is African American hair different from other black people's hair?

moneychaser

[ QUOTE ]
atlien said:
To all,

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly because they are less prone to breakage, IMO

ms_kenesha

It is quite obvious that no particular ethnic group has any advantages when it comes to hair. On the other hand, each group can be associated with a certain type of hair, easily identifiable by its colour and form, but also by something less obvious to the naked eye - the way it grows.

Classifying hair into no more than three ethnic types - African, Asian, or Caucasian - might seem an exaggerated simplification. But it is true that Japanese hair is not the same as Indonesian hair and, even more obvious, Scottish hair has no resemblance to Swedish hair or Sicilian hair. However, these are only small differences in comparison with the similarities that each ethnic group has in general terms. Whether it is a question of the hair's density, speed of growth or the implantation of the hair follicle in the scalp, we can consider that each of the ethnic types mentioned above has its own identity.
For example, Asian hair holds the speed record for growth with 1.3 cm a month. On the other hand, it has lower density than any of the other ethnic groups. The way its follicle is implanted causes the hair to grow straight, perpendicular to the scalp.

African hair is the slowest growing of all, at less than 0.9 cm a month. On the other hand it is slightly more dense than Asian hair and grows almost parallel to the scalp, twisting around itself as it grows.

As far as rate of growth is concerned, Caucasian hair comes between the other two at 1.2 cm a month, but it has the highest density of all. It grows at an oblique angle to the scalp and is slightly curved.

Note: This study was done by shaving hair and measuring the growth in the different races, this is how they were able to determine hair growth minus any of the other issues like heat & handeling of the hair.

Source: Loreal