Hair Shedding / Thinning

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hmmm, i may try coffee rinses a few times a week....when I do, I'll report back. Gotta get this shedding under control. Thanks for bumping @ Ltown!

Ltown

Greyland
I made some black tea, with horsetail and nettle tea too. I'm get a small bag of coffee beans and try to make some oil.

TLC1020

My hair did this and I am just now getting it back together... My iron was reallllly low, wasn't anemic but extremly low.. Go see dermatologist and ask for blood count of your ferritin level.

Take a look at my pics in my fotki and you'll know what I'm talking about, not sure if yours is drastic like mine were but it did take time to get there... Nothing help externally b/c it was an internal issue, when my iron levels went back up my hair started to get thick again...

grow

Pompous Blue, or any ladies who have tried making coffee oil:

do you think it would be the same to use ground coffee?
meaning the kind you put in to make a cup of coffee.....

they are easier to find than the beans, around here.

thanks ladies!

great thread, great info!

Ltown

Greyland
My hair did this and I am just now getting it back together... My iron was reallllly low, wasn't anemic but extremly low.. Go see dermatologist and ask for blood count of your ferritin level.

Take a look at my pics in my fotki and you'll know what I'm talking about, not sure if yours is drastic like mine were but it did take time to get there... Nothing help externally b/c it was an internal issue, when my iron levels went back up my hair started to get thick again...

I bumped this not thinning or really shedding I just love the tea and coffee rinse for stimulations, much cleaner than growth oils I've been using.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

grow, I use ground coffee, it works just fine. Do not use instant, though, and you're good to go. I'm about to make coffee oil in a bit.

Ltown, I've made the brew that you posted before and it's great! I thought my hair would be hard/stiff, but it turned out really soft and supple.

grow

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll, thank you sis for chiming in!

...it's like you knew thaat i was sitting there holding my breath for a response...so anxous to start and jumped right in with just what i needed to know!

you are so sweet honey bunny!:snuggle:

do you know, i have got that coffee in a jar with evoo right now?! :lachen:
yes, honey...i plan to cook it a good 8 hours tomorrow!:yep:

while i was at it, i just thought i'd share that i also made a jar with cinnamon and evoo!:spinning:

i don't remember exactly where i've read it, but i know alot of ladies use it on their scalp and hair and have heard it's good for the circulation.

anyone else heard that?

hhj ladies!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

grow, you are soo welcome. ((BIG HUG)) Cinnamon - yes I've heard that. In Dominican conditioners, cinnamon is a key ingredient. Dag. I should have thrown some in. I just turned my crockpot off. I let my batch bathe overnight. Can't wait to use it.

Thanks for the tips, Sis!

Lita

When I was having shedding issues..I would brew coffee,ginger,squeeze little onion juice & cinnamon stick together/do a rinse (very little hair shed/2 days later mix some in a separate bowl with favorite conditioner (leave on 50 min/overnight) I had 10 hairs including comb-out soft & manageable/next day no hair come out ....*I have not tried that in a long time...

*I didnt put the cinnamon stick in the top part of the coffee maker/instead I put it the glass part....

Happy Hair Growing!

reeko43

I'm also using Spearmint Tea to curb the acne and it is working fab!

The same hormones that causes my hair loss causes huge acnes bumps under the skin.

I have PCOS and have some serious acne issues sometimes. What kind of spearmint tea are you using and how are you applying it to your face?

I am going to try the coffee oil on my thinning hairline. I think I will increase my coffee content as well for the caffeine and let it infuse after heating in the crockpot for a few days.

grow

@Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll, thanks for the confirmation, sugar!
so they DO use the cinnamon, too! i'm gonna stock up....!
oh, and don't feel bad about having forgotten to put it in....sometimes it takes a while for things to click with that "lightbulb going on" effect.
you remember how i was slicing and dicing veggies to make fresh fruit and veggie juices last year?
well, it took me until THIS YEAR to figure out that instead of drinking the banana with my other juiced fruits, i can juice the banana alone, just for my deep contitioner spiking!
a whole year.....and it JUST occured to me last month......lol!

@Lita, that mix that you made with the cinnamon sounds delish!!!
i've seen fresh ginger at the store, but it looks so hard and tough.
do you use the powdered version or grate the fresh ones?
i love love love the idea of putting it all in a conditioner and sleeping with it overnight, too!
i'm about to henna, so i think that this is a treatment i will do for the first night post henna/indigo.
i've heard the henna/indigo can be drying and for me that means trouble with detangling which is what leads to breakage, shedding and thinning.

great tips ladies, thanks and have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Lita

grow The ginger I used was from a tea bag...I would open it & mix it in with the coffee grinds/in the strainer part..Talk about strong,in a good way..

*As an addition to my oil tonic..I use ginger eo & it works just as well...
*For extra...Get some nettle tea & add it too/Kick things up!

*Ginger tea is also good to drink very soothing & relaxing..At least for me/I drink nettle too..This way non-thing goes to waste...lol

Keep us posted...

Happy Hair Growing!

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
Hey ladies!

I started to noticing thinning of my crown in my undergrad years and once I graduated I went natural in order to save my hair. My mother has alopecia and the center of her hair is gone! the scalp looks unhealthy. My dad has some thinning too. I knew that I had a great chance of balding.

So, going natural decreased my thinning but now, I have a bald spot. I went to a dermatolgist and she had given my steroid cream and antibiotics. it didn't do much. My crown was red and inflammed and sore. I tried a oil mixture of rosemary and cedarwood eo, with nettle and horsetail herbs and the inflammation is gone and my hair is growing back.

Here are some progress pics

Mid Jan- Early Feb- with flash

No flash

Feb 25th- Straightened Hair No flash

Flash

Reverted hair today

Comparison

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

My Word, PrettyNatural! You have made phenomenal progress! Good work, that's better than any MD could EVER do, I bet ya. Gonna screen your post again and take GOOD NOTES! Congratulations!!!! My Heavens, and all this in maybe - what, a month?????
Outstanding.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
Yes! I was surprised too!

I also drink nettle, horsetail and rosehip daily daily too! I believe the tea and the oil blend has helped tremendously!

Ltown

Greyland

TLC1020, I'm bumping this because although at the time in Feb we were discussing this I didn't have problems. But in March after using henna/indigo I'm having serious edges thinning and flaky. I have been seen it seborrhea dermatitis hope my comeback is the same as yours.

chicha

I have PCOS and have some serious acne issues sometimes. What kind of spearmint tea are you using and how are you applying it to your face?
@reeko43 I don't apply to my face I drink it. Twice a day with breakfast and dinner.
Its cheap at vitacost.com. Believe me it works!

Ladies,
(Esp @chicha)
Here is some of the best info I've seen on this problem from Nonie's earlier post.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=39645
I really appreciate this. I think hers was stress related but I'm going to read in detail. Mine is dht hormone related.

Last edited:

Prudent1

chicha,
Yes, hers was due to stress and allergies but I was thinking that along with the garlic, teas, coffee rinses etc to control DHT the EO could help thicken the hair and keep the scalp area in a state where hair regrowth was possible. At any rate, I hope things turn out well for you:yep:.

chicha

Thank u Prudent1. I"m still trying. The coffee didn't work out for me. It started well but died off. I'm beginning to see that dht or androgenic related hair loss is a beast!

morehairplease

PrettyNatural can you share your oil mixture? I am noticing thinning in my crown area that I would like to address.

Thanks in advance for your response

reeko43

chicha, thanks so much. I actually bought the tea a couple of weeks ago because I read at a PCOS support forum that the spearmint tea is very helpful with many symptoms. I hadn't started drinking it yet. However, thanks to your confirmation, I will be starting my daily tea tomorrow!

chicha

@chicha, thanks so much. I actually bought the tea a couple of weeks ago because I read at a PCOS support forum that the spearmint tea is very helpful with many symptoms. I hadn't started drinking it yet. However, thanks to your confirmation, I will be starting my daily tea tomorrow!

You are welcome. It's really canceled out my acne. Mine was hormonal so OTC stuff did nothing. This is natural.

chicha

Update
Tried the topical Ketoconazole cream. Did nothing. I'm sticking with the Keto shampoo at the prescription strength. It works but for only a few days as it requires rewashing every so often to remove the dht on your scalp.

AtlantaJJ

I had to get my hormones balanced and clean up life style to solve my thinning hair problems! I developed PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) a condition that causes the ovaries to produce excess hormones which are converted into DHT. It took a combination of things to get my hormones in balance and my hair growing thick and strong again.

1) Eat a clean diet high in protein, no processed foods, no fast foods, low to no sugar, lots of green leafy veggies and moderate fruits.
2) Exercise!!
3) Topical treatments, Emu oil is the best!!
4) Loose weight! I lost 25 lbs last year.

FYI - something to consider if you have thinning hair:
Hormone Imbalance and Insulin Resistance
Insulin resistance, also known as Syndrome X, refers to the failure of the tissues to respond to insulin and allow glucose uptake for energy production.
Insulin is produced in the pancreas and is responsible for carrying glucose from the bloodstream into our cells where it is used for fuel. Good health and energy depends upon the body’s ability to make and use just the right amount of insulin to keep our blood sugar at optimal levels and our metabolism working normally. Every cell of the body has insulin receptor sites that allow insulin to open the door so that glucose can enter the cell. But, over time when the body builds up enough glucose, or too much, usually from over consumption of sugars and carbohydrates, the receptor sites simply won’t accept any more, in effect the door is closed. What’s happening here is that the receptors for insulin are losing their ability to respond to the overload of insulin, So, blood levels of insulin stay high and the condition of insulin resistance develops, in which more and more insulin is poured out because of high sugar in the blood, to less and less effect. Eventually if neither the body tissues or the pancreas can keep up with the blood sugar load – Diabetes results.
In general, insulin and blood sugar levels stay normal on a diet of unrefined whole foods that include complex carbs like whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Alcohol, sugary and starchy food such as cookies, baked goods, candy, sweet drinks and white bread, processed foods (which in fact are quickly turned into sugar in the body) triggering a
rush of insulin. People with poor diets and low exercise often develop insulin resistance.

During peri-menopause, as women age, due to hormonal changes they tend toward decreased total muscle mass and increased body fat, regardless of body weight. This sets the stage for insulin resistance and a host of health and hormonal problems associated with it. In fact a diet high in refined carbohydrates makes all peri-menopausal problems worse because of its adverse effect on hormone balance. It reinforces the tendency toward mid-section obesity which in turn favors overproduction of estrogen and testosterone which in turn leads to excessive levels of these hormones which in turn leads to increased risk factors for breast cancer as well as polycystic ovaries. The elevated insulin and abnormal hormones are also responsible for sugar craving, facial hair, scalp hair loss and acne.

Last edited:

chicha

Going the dietary way may help. Thanks AtlantaJJ.

Anyone else balanced their hormonal hair loss with diet and lifestyle? I've heard dht is reactive to sugar and high carb diets.

chicha

I had to get my hormones balanced and clean up life style to solve my thinning hair problems! I developed PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) a condition that causes the ovaries to produce excess hormones which are converted into DHT. It took a combination of things to get my hormones in balance and my hair growing thick and strong again.

1) Eat a clean diet high in protein, no processed foods, no fast foods, low to no sugar, lots of green leafy veggies and moderate fruits.
2) Exercise!!
3) Topical treatments, Emu oil is the best!!
4) Loose weight! I lost 25 lbs last year.

FYI - something to consider if you have thinning hair:

AtlantaJJ were you also off of diary? I'm wondering does it hurt when you consume dairy.

Also what are u eating? Can you give some examples? It sounds consistent with what i have read. That a high imflammatory diet makes dht and baldness worse. And lowering the carbs AND other inflam foods like the reg Western diet will also lower the balding. So can you help me learn what are you eating on a daily basis? I can only think of a salad or a few a plain veg dish but that's not realistic so help me please :yep:

discodumpling

Great advice in here ladies. I have solved my balding thinning issues and relapsed recently but it's easy to get back on track when you know what to do!

1. EXERCISE
2. FEED your scalp! I use an e/o blend.
3. Low manipulation...daily co washing will have to wait for the summer time!
4. DIET...so important! Small changes make huge differences. Cutting back on my unecessary dairy intake helps tremendously....how much Mac n Cheese did YOU eat this summer??
5. Stress reduction...sure this goes along with exercise. But my yoga practise saves my life EVERYDAY! Just standing on my head for 3 minutes sends blood rushing to my hair follicles!
6. VITAMINS/TONICS...to reduce and treat the inflamation of the scalp. My faves: A multi/Fish oil & hyalurionic acid. I also pop a B12 right b4 bedtime.