Spinoff: Shedders What Vits or Products saved your hair?

chicha

How do u get the 2% I can only find the 1% @ CVS?

@aa9746,

faithVA,

You can buy the prescription 2% version online from the Canada Medicine shop without a prescription. It takes about 5-7 days to reach you so order before you need it. Also it can be drying to put it on your scalp only. I use every 3 days and it's really stopping the shedding. It's a staple HOLY GRAIL product on the hair loss boards for dht/androgen/Male and Female Pattern type hormonal hairloss.

chicha

As a recommendation, try vits or internal help for at least 3 mos. I was told this and was going to give up. I waited til 3 1/2 months and it has REALLY reduced my shed! I tried this same thing (Saw Palmetto) for only 3 wks before and stopped. Imagine the hair I could have saved!

Ladies my next try is Nioxin. It was recommended to me by someone. Also they said MaxaHair was even better. So I'll try Nioxin first and let you all know how it works.

aa9746

@aa9746,

@faithVA,

You can buy the prescription 2% version online from the Canada Medicine shop without a prescription. It takes about 5-7 days to reach you so order before you need it. Also it can be drying to put it on your scalp only. I use every 3 days and it's really stopping the shedding. It's a staple HOLY GRAIL product on the hair loss boards for dht/androgen/Male and Female Pattern type hormonal hairloss.

Thanks for the info!

growinghealthyhair

Still taking Nioxin Vitamins. My hair hasn't started back shedding bad , I'm so thankful of that!!! I've started hairdrenalin hair oil, for my edges and nape. This is the only thing that keeps my nape area feeling soft and not dry and brittle. So I think i'm beggining to retain length there. Because places where it was BALD or looked shaved now have little curlies.

Tonight I was re-sewing the back of my wig down. And I have ALOT more new growth than I expected!! Tommorow will make 3 weeks that I will have this install. And according to my measuring tape most area's in the back (couldn't get to the front it's sewn down) is 1inch. I will really be able to tell once I take this down in two weeks!!! I almost took it down tonight lol. But i rather stay out of my hair!

QTPie

What productS (int & ext):

Nioxin Vitamins
Simply Nutrition Multi Vitamin
Nizoral 2%
Curl Junkie Deep Conditioner
Suave Humectant
Joico Reconstructor
Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner (highly recommend)
Nettle tea/ACV rinses

Frequency and dosage:

I take the Nioxin vitamins at least once a day, and a multi every day. Co wash 1 -2x a week, but use the Nizoral every other week. Try to DC at least once a week.

Your Alopecia/hair loss and how it worked for you:

I'm a seasonal (fall/winter) and/or stress shedder. Also, I was diagnosed with traction alopecia around the crown area earlier this year.

What Have You tried that DIDN'T work:

For shedding, I can't say I tried a product that didn't work. However my experiment list is so long I probably forgot about it.

What are you GOING to try (PLEASE REPORT BACK):

Minoval, because even though I'm currently not seeing any shed hairs, my hair is growing so slow in the crown area! I'll report back...

chicha

Still taking Nioxin Vitamins. My hair hasn't started back shedding bad , I'm so thankful of that!!! I've started hairdrenalin hair oil, for my edges and nape. This is the only thing that keeps my nape area feeling soft and not dry and brittle. So I think i'm beggining to retain length there. Because places where it was BALD or looked shaved now have little curlies.

Tonight I was re-sewing the back of my wig down. And I have ALOT more new growth than I expected!! Tommorow will make 3 weeks that I will have this install. And according to my measuring tape most area's in the back (couldn't get to the front it's sewn down) is 1inch. I will really be able to tell once I take this down in two weeks!!! I almost took it down tonight lol. But i rather stay out of my hair!

@growinghealthyhair

Thanks for coming back with a report. So important! Now a congrats is in order for the growth! Do you attribute that to the Nioxin or Hairdenalin? How long have you been on both? Do you know anyone who's used the HDL and it really quickened their growth?

Honey 1 inch in 3 wks anywhere is cause for a :dance7:

chicha

@QTPie

Did you see any difference when using the Nioxin vits?

I read the AEgo products work for some and not for others. For you?

The Ketoconazole/Nizoral 2% is normally for dht/androgen/female pattern hair loss. So its good to see it helping with someone with traction hair loss.

Good to see the shedding slowing down. Hope the growth gets better. Don't forget to come back and report!

growinghealthyhair

@growinghealthyhair

Thanks for coming back with a report. So important! Now a congrats is in order for the growth! Do you attribute that to the Nioxin or Hairdenalin? How long have you been on both? Do you know anyone who's used the HDL and it really quickened their growth?

Honey 1 inch in 3 wks anywhere is cause for a :dance7:

chicha

It's the Nioxin, because the places that I have the 1inch, were untouched by hairdrenalin (it was under my wig). I was going to take my hair down this weekend but decided not too. More than likely I will take my hair down next weekend. So I will be able to truly tell my growth. :)

But yes, I do know of some who have recieved very rapid growth with hairdrenalin. There are many pics over at hairlista.

QTPie

@QTPie

Did you see any difference when using the Nioxin vits?

I read the AEgo products work for some and not for others. For you?

The Ketoconazole/Nizoral 2% is normally for dht/androgen/female pattern hair loss. So its good to see it helping with someone with traction hair loss.

Good to see the shedding slowing down. Hope the growth gets better. Don't forget to come back and report!

I've used 1 bottle and what I've noticed the most is thickness, not so much length.

I swear by the Alter Ego Garlic, it also adds some slip to my hair..I try to keep it on hand at all times.

YoursTrulyRE

@aa9746,

@faithVA,

Just went online and checked this and it said Only Available By Prescription.

Softerlove

Im under the dryer at the hair salon, prior this week I've been shedding (normal for me in the summer + the result of a bad braidout) & I was worried that I would loose a ton of hair (6 weeks post), but barely any came out. I'm seriously happy with this. Shampoo and conditioner joico k-pak, I used this before the joicio k-pak conditioner and rinsed with kpak.

My hair loves this. I also take nioxin hair vitamins and use small amounts of jbco on my scalp 2 days before my wash.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1307112296978.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1307112296978.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 50

Evolving78

does the black tea have to have caffeine in it? i just bought some from Trader Joe's and it is decaffeinated.

chicha

Softerlove Don't feel bad. I was encouraged by other boards to count and I'm glad I did. Its the only way I knew if what I tried next was actually lessening my hair loss.

wyldcurlz

What worked for me-

1) MN - mixed with an oil like castor, or alone
helped to thicken my hair and grow what was there.

2) My own mix of SAA, nettle, burdock root, garlic, peppermint and saw palmetto extracts as a leave-in spray.

Using these 2 items were instrumental in stopping the shedding and thickening my hair.
I still use the MN now, not so much the spray.

Aside from heredity (my mother had the same shedding), I attribute my shedding to stress and HBP meds.

AKA-Tude I LOVE this gif. David Gregory was ON IT!!! Go David Go!!!

chica Do you think Spiro helped any with hair re-growth?

greenandchic

Interesting thread because I have PCOS (diagnosed in 2000) but curbed it with diet and lifestyle (lost 40-50 lbs, have regular cycles now, etc), but wonder if my seemingly excessive shedding is from that. I don't have baldness, but I do have a lot of hair. I still have related facial hair and acne.

chicha

greenandchic
So your hair loss is the same as mines. Mpb pr dht hair loss occurs when you have PCOS. And for some right after child birth.

What did you change your diet to? And from? Your hair doesn't fall out anymore? So glad for you!

greenandchic

chicha

In terms of my diet, its pretty much low carb, no sugars (not even high GI fruits), no grains, etc. I eat lots of veggies, proteins, good fats, etc. Dramatic weight loss and regular cycles are the result.

I do have more shedding than I would like and never really checked to see if its PCOS related or not.

greenandchic

chicha Honestly, its been so long since I've changed my diet (about 5 years now), I don't remember. Plus my hair care practices have changed, but I would like to think I lose less hair today than back then. When I was changing my diet, it was more about my blood sugar, cycles, weight and not so much my hair.

chicha

Spearmint tea is a natural anti-androgen. I have had great results from drinking one cup of spearmint tea daily to help combat symptoms of PCOS.

lynnstar I have used it sucessfully to remove my androgen related acne. Have you tried it for your hair and observed whether it helped or not? If so what kind and how much?

chicha

What has worked to regrow my hair after alopecia has been
1. Find a black dermatologist who knows how to handle black haircare. I went to Dr. Scales in Durham NC for anyone who is near the area.
2. I got cortizone injections in my scalp in the areas of hair loss (I got injections about 2 times)-- worked great
3. I was prescribed Fluoccinde (sp) liquid to put in my scalp between visits for cortizone injections -- worked great
4. Queen Helene garlic shampoo
5. Nu Hair vitamins for females taken religiously for at least 1 month worked to regrow hair after shedding.
6. Wearing a lace front to take my mind off of my hair so that I would not stress as much about my shedding and compound my hair loss.
7. Prayer

bellezanegra826 Before I ask questions do you have MPB or dht/androgen related hair loss? If so these things may help me also.

1. NuHair - Did it regrow bald spots or scalp areas where the hair was see through and thinned out. Nioxin grows existing hair but no regrowth of hair in bald spots.

2. What is Fluoccinde? Did it dry out ur hair?

I love hearing about Black professionals and their good work!

chicha

faithVA how are these EO helping? Are they regrowing area's where you've lost hair? I need to regrow balding spots.

Mines is hormonal and dht related to so these things may help me.

Thanks for sharing in such detail! :)

What productS (int & ext):
I am using an oil blend: jojoba, almond, Vitamin E, rosemary EO, sage EO, basil EO, lavender EO

Frequency and dosage:
I use the oil with my leave-in, prepoo and conditioner. I apply the leave-in 1x-2x daily. I prepoo weekly. I am using the oil directly on my scalp 2x-3x a week with a scalp massage.

Your Alopecia/hair loss and how it worked for you:
I have hair loss in my crown and thinning edges. Some of this is hormonal. The issue with my crown is also due to skin sensitivity to relaxers. I haven't relaxed in years but my crown is still sensitive to the touch.

I have just started with my oil blend so not sure how it works. Using it in my leave-in is crucial because it soothes my scalp which always seems thirsty.

What Have You tried that DIDN'T work:
I tried Boundless Tresses but I had a reaction to something in it (which may also be a result of hormones). I was only able to use it for a week. I do think it would have worked.

What are you GOING to try (PLEASE REPORT BACK):
I am going to continue with my oil blend for several more months. And if I don't notice any difference by Sept. I may try the alter ego products.

I haven't really been doing anything for shedding. I do shed quite a bit but I am working more on nailing my regimen and after that I may focus on shedding if I still find it to be an issue. As I change my products I am noticing less shedding automatically.

chicha

AKA-Tude thanks for sharing!

Where did you get these extracts? Or they drying or moisterizing? I may have to try this.

What worked for me-

1) MN - mixed with an oil like castor, or alone
helped to thicken my hair and grow what was there.

2) My own mix of SAA, nettle, burdock root, garlic, peppermint and saw palmetto extracts as a leave-in spray.

Using these 2 items were instrumental in stopping the shedding and thickening my hair.
I still use the MN now, not so much the spray.

Aside from heredity (my mother had the same shedding), I attribute my shedding to stress and HBP meds.

chicha

@chicha Honestly, its been so long since I've changed my diet (about 5 years now), I don't remember. Plus my hair care practices have changed, but I would like to think I lose less hair today than back then. When I was changing my diet, it was more about my blood sugar, cycles, weight and not so much my hair.

Oh ok. With PCOS i believe when you control it, the hair loss is controlled.

Different from the hair loss issue independently. Nothing controls it and it is a friggin BEAST to control.

faithVA

@faithVA how are these EO helping? Are they regrowing area's where you've lost hair? I need to regrow balding spots.

Mines is hormonal and dht related to so these things may help me.

Thanks for sharing in such detail! :)

chica, It appears to be working. I want to give it a full 6 months though before I say it really is working. I made up a new batch of oil last night with a higher percentage of EO. I have also had my hair up a lot the past 2 months and not able to give myself a scalp massage. I do think scalp massages are essential to regrowth as well.

I have pics in my album if you want to see how its going so far. I will update the pics at the end of July.