An Experience of Hairloss (Pics Included)

Nonie

An Experience of Hair Loss (Pics Included)

Towards the end of last year, I had just washed my hair and was getting ready to rebraid it when I discovered a bald patch about the size of a quarter at the back of my head. Now unless you've experienced this horror, you cannot fully comprehend the panic that gripped me. It was smoother than any other part of my body, and if I didn't know better, I'd have sworn I never had hair there ever. And as I later discovered, that wasn't the only one bald patch I had. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

That was December 2003. I was going through a lot of stress, and my doctor believes that is what caused it. Because I'm a huge believer in natural remedies, I decided to get a food allergy test done. It wasn't just my previous success with nutritional healing that led me to consider an allergy test. I had noticed that my bald patches itched when I ate.

The test revealed that food I was eating almost daily was food I actually had sensitivities to. Namely, pineapples, bananas, eggs, and lettuce...as well as cow's milk, cheese and brewer's yeast (the last three I already suspected and was avoiding). So I changed my diet there and then, and the itching I used to experienced after eating disappeared.

But I didn't stop at food. I decided to do some research on topical applications for hair growth. I already had Surge but I was so afraid of using anything that I wasn't sure was 100% natural, not to mention the skin reactions some pple had had with Surge, so I gave it a miss. I couldn't be sure that my hairloss wasn't chemically induced hence my determination to go as natural as possible. I discovered a remedy made up of EOs of thyme, rosemary, lavendar and cedarwood...mixed with jojoba and grapeseed oils and massaged that into the bald patches every night, then slept in a plastic cap and towel to encourage absorption. Although I later found it wasn't necessary to rinse your scalp every morning, the first place I found the remedy said to do so, or if done in the morning to rinse out after a few mins, so I would rinse my scalp every morning (I was in braids). The remedy is supposed to take 6 months for results to be seen but by end of January 2004, I was already seeing progress:

I continued my remedy religiously, doing my massages as directed somewhere on this forum, paying particular attention to the parts of my scalp where my scalp felt tight and immobile. Oh I forgot to mention, I switched my products to all natural ones. I used several of the AO's shampoos and GPB conditioner. I sprayed my hair with a concoction of distilled water, ACV, E0's and glycerin. I still used ACV+EOs in my final rinse. Besides the night concoction, I applied nothing to my scalp. By mid-April, my hair was filling in nicely:

Five months later, I'm happy to report that the patches have completely filled in, and I am able to put the hair in those spots into twists. (Yes I'm out of extensions at the moment and sporting twists, and the longer twists are doing a good job of camouflaging the shorter ones. /images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I hope this inspires someone. The recipe for the concoction to which I owe my success, if anyone is interested, is:

Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth<ul type="square">
1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil -3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil -3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - � teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons
[/list]Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

ETA: the jojoba measurement is 1/2 a teaspoon. I think when I first posted this, I had somehow typed in the code for the correct display of one half...but I guess it's no longer recognized.

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
(((((NONIE)))))) I would have never imagined that you were going through this. Thank you for sharing this. My mother has been trying to stimulate hair growth at her hairline. It fell out due to a bad relaxer, which was "professionally" applied.

I'm going to share this with her.
Thank you so much!!!

amy1234

thank you for sharing your experience with us. I know that many of us go through this and should be helpfull to others. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

ElizaBlue

Wow Nonie, I'm so sorry to hear you were losing hair. I, for reasons I don't know, just started back using the oil mixture about a week ago. I had a bald spot similiar to yours right in the front of my head. I too used the oils there only I also added some Glover's to the mixture. I did not track it as you did, but did notice day before yesterday I could no longer find the bald spot. I was using the oils about 6 months ago. I did notice it itched from time to time but never tied it to certain foods eaten. What I did was relax that section of my hair last as well as my nape. Good information, glad you found the cure.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Your progress is absolutely amazing nonie! This is why I love this forum so much. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm glad that you found something that works for you. Thanks for sharing your story.

miss_brown

I'm glad everything worked out for you, nonie /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for sharing your story and the oil recipe... this one's definitely going in my faves /images/graemlins/up.gif

ChasingBliss

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks Nonie. Im glad it worked out for you. Ive always wondered what on earth is it about those EO's that makes hair grow. I am so impressed right now.

G

Sorry to hear about this Nonie. I would love to chat with you more about these allergy tests and other health rememdies. I would like to add some Rosemary to my Hot Oil treatments. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SVT

What an inspiration! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I know first hand about the rosemary e.o. I've read great reviews about grapeseed oil. I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem and correct it. It's a darn shame so much of our diet is bad for us. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Carlie

What a beautiful testimony! /images/graemlins/clap.gif I'm glad it all worked out for your good...and now you are able to help others going through the same thing! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A

anks

Wow! Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Nonie

Thanks Webby, I was devastated at the time I found the patches (which is why I couldn't bring myself to discuss the ordeal then) but my spirits were raised when I saw progress and I'm over the moon about my complete recovery. I hope your mom benefits from this remedy too.

Curlybun /images/graemlins/kiss.gif I do hope my story helps others.

ElizaBlue, I'm glad you found a solution to your problem too. /images/graemlins/clap.gif Isn't it a thrill when you forget you had the problem coz hair quietly fills in? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Erica, this forum is indeed treasure chest. Glad my story was inspiring to you. You too Miss Brown. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

HoneyLemonDrop... glad I could twist your arm a little on EOs. /images/graemlins/poke.gif

Karmen /images/graemlins/wave.gif , feel free to ask me any question. I hope I will have the answers you need.

Fine Beauty, my doctor is a member of Immuno Labs ( www.immunolabs.com ) so he took a blood sample and sent it off to them for tests. Since you're in the area, I would highly recommend him to you. I already got someone else on the bandwagon and she's so far pleased with her tests. If you're interested, drop me a PM and I'll give you more details. Otherwise, you can call Immunolabs and ask for a list of doctors who practice with them in your area. If you're as lucky as I am, you might find one who takes your insurance. /images/graemlins/smile.gif They test you for over 200 foods...and there is a peace of mind that comes from knowing you aren't eating food that's affecting your health. If you check out www.betterhealthusa.com you can see just how many ailments could be as a result of food. So it doesn't hurt to make sure. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lovelymissyoli and Ms Jennifer, thank you. If you'd asked me in December if I expected to see any hair, I'd have been very doubtful. I cannot get over my success. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SVT, glad you found my story inspiring. Isn't it weird that food that's supposed to nourish can also cause so many problems? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I wonder if our kids would grow up a lot healthier if we started them on organic food right from the get go...so that toxins are at a minimal? /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Carlie and Tbcool, I do hope my story gives hope to others in my shoes. Especially those who don't know why they might be losing hair.

One thing I did mention above and want to reiterate is I read somewhere that when you start to lose hair, your scalp gets tight in those spots (Apparently bald men have tight scalps.) So when you massage, aim to loosen your scalp so that it moves over the skull...ie focus on the stiff parts. Also I read that the itching should signal sth being amiss...(perhaps insufficient blood supply?) and should encourage you to massage your scalp even more. So when my scalp would itch, instead of scratching with my nails, I'd massage it firmly. I figured whether there was any truth in that theory or not, I had nothing to lose. And sure enough, I gained! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

J

JenniferMD

Great ending for a stressful beginning Nonie. I'm glad everything is getting back to normal. Thanks for sharing!

Nay

Awww, Nonie, I hate that you had to go through the hair drama. But now that you've passed that hump, it's smooth sailing from here on out!!!

Thanks for sharing these private details with us all. I KNOW you've helped somebody here on this board /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitchen_tician

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I commend you for truly getting to the root of the problem. I would have never thought of food allergies being a factor. This is very inspiring and I wish you much success with your hair growth.

SweetNic_JA

Nonie /images/graemlins/smile.gif You held a positve attitude through the whole thing. I 'm glad you were proactive and resolved the issue. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SherryLove

Nonie, /images/graemlins/wave.gif I am so happy to see that your scalp is much healthier and your hair is growing back in after using a natural/herbal recipe.....You Grow, Girl......

Nonie

JenniferMD, Nay, kitchen_tician, Sweet_Nic and m'idol SherryLove /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif I appreciate your rejoicing with me. The support on this forum is so heartwarming. Thanks guys. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Irresistible

Wow Nonie , im so happy you found something that worked so well...this is great info!!! saving this thread right now! the progress pics were amazing!! im so thankfull for you that you got to the bottom of things (of course you would) and found the answers..you go girl!

Guapa1

Hey Nonie, glad to see you stayed strong and find out the cause, rather than pretend its not happening and wear wigs, like I would! Keep it up, and here's to healthy hair!! xxx

Divastate

Nonie what an awful ordeal to go through- I'm so glad you found what works for you and that your hair has returned back to a good healthy state. Thanks for sharing this info I'll definitely be keeping this thread handy.

Valerie

Nonie, I am glad, that when you saw your bald patches, you were able to use essential oils to get your hair back again. Well Done and thank you for this information. I experienced hair loss from relaxing at the temples. Eventually, my hair grew back.

SouthernGirl

Nonie,

God Bless you for sharing your story with us. I am so happy about your success in getting to the bottom of your issue. Please let us know about your continued progress. We're here for you /images/graemlins/kiss.gif!

SG