Hair Shedding / Thinning

Truth

Hey ladies!

I started to noticing thinning of my crown in my undergrad years and once I graduated I went natural in order to save my hair. My mother has alopecia and the center of her hair is gone! the scalp looks unhealthy. My dad has some thinning too. I knew that I had a great chance of balding.

So, going natural decreased my thinning but now, I have a bald spot. I went to a dermatolgist and she had given my steroid cream and antibiotics. it didn't do much. My crown was red and inflammed and sore. I tried a oil mixture of rosemary and cedarwood eo, with nettle and horsetail herbs and the inflammation is gone and my hair is growing back.

Here are some progress pics

Mid Jan- Early Feb- with flash

No flash

Feb 25th- Straightened Hair No flash

Flash

Reverted hair today

Comparison

honestly, looking at these pics, I thought I was looking at the center of my head for a second. You did an excellent job!!! My Derm said , I have Scarring Alopecia, has given me steriod cream but I don't think it's working to reduce the inflammation because my scalp is on FIRE as we speak.

Wanted to know from anywho who's had and or have Scarring Alopecia, what hair styles did you do while your scalp was inflammed?? I'm thinking mostly down, that way there is no tension on my scalp.. any takers on this??

faithVA

honestly, looking at these pics, I thought I was looking at the center of my head for a second. You did an excellent job!!! My Derm said , I have Scarring Alopecia, has given me steriod cream but I don't think it's working to reduce the inflammation because my scalp is on FIRE as we speak.

Wanted to know from anywho who's had and or have Scarring Alopecia, what hair styles did you do while your scalp was inflammed?? I'm thinking mostly down, that way there is no tension on my scalp.. any takers on this??

I wear twist a lot so I would take the center section and make bigger twist, that weren't tight and do regular twist around it and then pull them up or back into a bun.

I found that an oil blend with EOs worked great to reduce the inflammation. I put olive oil (anti-inflammatory), jojoba oil (similar to our natural oils) and vitamin E (healing) and an oil of my choice as a base. I used 10 drops of sage, rosemary and basil to help heal and improve circulation.

I use the oil in various ways. Scalp massages, sometimes just the area. 2) apply it and sit under some heat 3) a capful in a sink of water and massage my scalp under water.

Aloe Vera Gel is also very good for your scalp on the days that it burns. You can mix the AVG and the oil blend and spray it on the scalp regularly and the AVG will help with the burning and inflamation.

The derm stuff may work but from what I have read on this board people have had good success with their own version of an oil blend, EOs etc.