***Get an inch every month 2011 challenge anyone?***

make_me_over

Hi Ladies! I have been reading through this thread and this seems like the place to be! I said that I wasn’t going to join anymore challenges because I really want to commit to the ones I am already in, but I need to get an inch every month so here I am! I need to not only get an inch a month, but keep it as well. I say that because I was getting an inch each month last year using MTG, MSM, & vitamin. The problem was retention. While I did retain growth, I also lost length due to dryness & breakage. So this year I am also focusing on low manipulation and keeping my hair moisturized to maximize my retention.

Measurements:
Last time I measured, my hair ranges from 12-16 inches. So I have different lengths all over, but I’m aiming for BSL by the end of April.

Hair type:
4sum, natural, regular density…I guess

Growth rate:
I never paid attention before using growth aids, but I’m pretty sure it was not above average

What I am doing to get an inch a month:
~exercise daily
~drinking lots of water
~vitamin
~sulfur
~oil rinses
~low manipulation
~moisture
~only flatiron 3x this year (for length checks).

Regimen:
Keep my hair in braids or twist for the whole year. I will take my braids/twist down once a month to remove sheds, wash, condish & re-braid/twist. While my hair is in braids I will cowash, DC, M&S, and baggy.

Biggest challenge: Dryness and breakage. Being consistent with vitamins. Having patients.

I currently have twist in my hair, but I will be taking them out this week. I will be back to post my starting pic. Thanks for having me HHJ:dance7:

itismehmmkay

I know its late, but I want to join! I just recently took down a weave and I had been weaved up throughout my last 7mths of pregnancy and my little one is 6.5mths! So over a year!

I was thinking about keeping it natural, but ended up texlaxing it a bit last night (kept relaxer in for maybe 7min). I rollerset it and airdried it afterwards like I used to wear my hair, but I'm really considering doing a wash and go since the curls are relatively okay to wear out.

I'm going to try it tonight and see how my hair airdries. If this works, I may wear it as a wash an go up do that I can leave alone.

My stats:

Starting picture: Will be back
Starting Measurements: ~6-7 inches; I cut off all the previously relaxed ends. My crown grows slower than the back of my hair; I wish it were the opposite! eh
Hair type: 4b!
Current growth rate: I'm thinking I get 1/2 inch per month, a bit more in the back
Methods: Emphasis will be on frequent washing and a protective style

HauteHippie

Warning:
Images below may scare small children. ;)
Please excuse the puffy/oily face, workday bra, and visible underwear.

I have fallen off of every hair bandwagon I was on trying to keep up with life.

I'd washed my hair on Jan 31st and was disappointed to find that my hair grew almost an inch in some places... But not all over. It might be time to give the full weave a rest-- especially if I want to use growth aides. Otherwise, I have issues reaching the middle.

My two week break of no sulfur turned into a 4 week, month of February break and I've used sulfur twice in March. Starting taking hair/organic vits again this week. I had to use up some old multis.

Anyway, my hair grew. Not an inch in a month, but I was starting to think it was barely growing at all and I'd be stuck at collarbone length forever.

APL here I come!

Jan 31:

March 16:

QueenFee

Been getting my baggy on like nobodies business, no growth aids this month if you don't count wgo as a growth aid, Have no clue how much growth I'm getting but I know I'm retaining fasho. Concentrating on my ends mostly, wont straighten till end of April so yeah...=D Oh and I have just been using wgo and jbco on my edges nothing major giving them a lil rest from the hard core growth aids like MT.

JessieLeleB

I'm really excited to state that I have some nice new growth in my braids especially in the middle where I put my MTG/Sulfur mix the most, a store in my town had 75cent suave conditioner on sell so I bought 5 bottles! still cowashing every other day! I think I will have about 3/4 of an inch by the end of the month!!! YAY!!

Next month will be better!

sweetpeadee

Poppin' in!

My computer has a virus so I'm going to be checking in on my phone until I can get that fixed! I'm still going strong with my MT and sulfur mix. I have upped my water intake for added moisture, but I still need to drink more... I should be getting my Hairveda products Monday (crossing fingers).

The only thing I am needing help with is PSs! I work full-time and go to school full-time and that leaves limited time for me to do my hair; however, my twists don't last more than 5 days! I want a style that allows me to be lazy (I know that sounds bad), without weaves or wigs. If you can suggest anything, I would greatly appreciate it!

HHG ladies! You are all an inspiration!!!

QueenFee

haven't used any growth aids on my edges but they are still hanging in there showing progress, I think tomorrow after the wash I will apply some sulfur oil to them with some tea tree and peppermint oil...Stimulation =D

ebsalita

I'm so grateful and excited - took down my braids and straightened - I've got 1.5" since 5th February, which is just under 1" per month. :yay:

I'm wearing my hair out for a couple of weeks to see how I get on with styling my natural hair, then I'll put the braids in for another 2 month block and see what happens!

Overall, I'm very pleased - my hair is now shoulder length and the longest it has ever been, which feels wonderful. :yep:

Imani

I have fallen off on my vitamins. There is only one store where I live that has them and they ran out.

I am still applying bee mine serum, just bought a fresh bottle the other day. My growth seems to have slowed down a little during Dec-Feb. But now that its spring, it should pick back up and really grow out over the summer.

I will be doing a no heat stretch from May1 to end of September. I am hoping to be really close to APL by then, which will be the longest my hair has ever been! I'm super pumped!

Last month when I straightened my hair was about 8 inches up top and b/t 6.25 and 6.5 in the back.

QueenFee

No growth aids still this month just using wgo on my scalp lazily, sta-sof-fro on my ends with a baggy and ummmm nothing but wgo on the edges, looks like I will come out with about a lil under a half inch of growth this month...Might mega tek next month, not sure yet but so far looking good, just giving my hair a lil rest.

lillylovely

Checking in again. Still going strong with my reggie although life has been busy. Haven't been working out that much though, only once a week:sad:.

Been using my Aloe Vera juice that I drink as a moisturiser for my scalp and hair - my hair loves it. Felt my scalp tingle today when I put it on - still massaged my sulphur mix on top of it though - got to get as much growth as I can if I'm going to reach my Dec goal. :yep:

africanqueen456

Seriously slacking in this thread. I've gone to school and my alopecia has worsen ( I already posted a thread). I took pictures of the bald patched and finally went to the dermatologist. Since I bced( March 16) I been applying my sulfur mix everyday.only tow days off... I am almost apl.. But unfortunately I didnt take many bc photos.
I am aiming for an inch a growth for my bday in May! At the end of this month. I will take photos. I also got about an inch of growth in my sew-in but I didnt take any pictures and I am dealing with these bald spots.

lushcoils

I didn't work out at all last week because I was on spring break. :/

But I worked out consistently the first 2 weeks of March and was able to grow .5 inches. I'm working out again this week, and hope I can squeeze out at least .25 inches by this weekend.

blueberryd

It's about time for some progress pics ladies!!!! :lick:
I am happy to report I got my inch this month---a VERY uneven inch albeit. My right side grows like weeds; my left side...not so much. I started taking nioxin vitamins this month and haven't seen any extra growth yet--i orderd the 90 ct bottle, so hopefully i will see some extra thickness or length in the coming months...iused my sulfur 2x this month just on my edges; i washed my hair 1x/week and tried to keep manipulation to a minimum. I did have a helluva lot of SSKs... So for april my goals are: flat iron 2x to help combat the SSKs, take 2 nioxxin pills/day, egg/may treatment 1xweek, and low manipulation....ithink I'm going to give myself a .25-.5 inch or so trim 2nite. So here are my progress pics--went from the 1inch mark last month to the 2 inch mark :drunk:

from 2/25/11--->3/29/11

HHJ! Can't wait to see everyone else's progress :yep:
xoxo

Last edited:

4everbeautifull1

Hi ladies, I am checking in finally. I have been really busy and slacking when it comes to my hair but I am back on it and ready to hit the ground running! Since I didn't stay as dedicated for the month of March, I only recieved half an inch. I know I will definitely get my inch a month from here on out though!

Vintagecoilylocks

HI LADIES

I need to get in on this one. I am growing out layers and uneven sections of hair after four years of extreme shedding. My lengths in clumps range from 6- 27 inches. :sad: That is actual length of hair from the scalp. There was probably alot of breakage because the huge amounts of shed hair would lock and tangle on the other hairs. It was a mess . So I am on a journey to grow out and fill in my hair. An inch a month on the shorter hairs would be a heaven sent gift.

I am going to massage daily, CO every 3-5 days. DC weekly. Protein tw a month. Do my work outs. Continue to eats healthy. I need this challenge to keep me going on things like my work out and the eating. I use the ssd and ssk method only. I have just started finger detangling ans combing.

I am in the hip, tl, and classic challenge to remind my self I have multi layers to tend too and be careful of. Actually I could be in the APL, SL, BS, WL too but that was too much to keep up with. Oh I am also in the sulphur challenge too WhEW. :spinning:

Just want a nice full head of hair to live out my life with.:yep:

Speedy growing to everyone.

Last edited:

lamaria211

hey ladies checking in its been a while i got a promotion @ work and am working longer hours so ive been finding myself moisturizing and baggying in the bathroom at my job ( i no terrible) but i cant not do it because my hair gets so very dry i have been drinking water and taking my vits daily i dont measure the inches but ince oct my bangs grew from my eyelids to my lips:) im a slow grower.. but still a grower!

4everbeautifull1

Checking in again just to see how everyone is doing. I am on track so far this month and trying hard to stay on task. I am very determined to accomplish this since I have proven to myself that it is actually possible. I won't lie, at first, I wasn't so sure but I have faith that we all can do this! Let's stay focused ladies! :)

BTW... I also just wanted to bump the thread. Lol! Have a blessed day ladies!

africanqueen456

@ebsalita I made myself a lil bootleg shirt to measure my growth lol. What I did was just get a kinda tight fitting t-shirt and got my mom to mark where my hair started---that was my 0 mark/starting point. From there, I just got a ruler and measured and marked at every inch. I just used a permanent marker to mark on the shirt. imean its not GREAT but it gets the job done :yep:

HHJ

Hey hun...how are getting an inch a month..good growth btw :grin:!

africanqueen456

I have forgotten about this challenge but have not been successful in getting an inch..maybe like .66 a month. The only thing I do currently is my sulfur mix. Any tips?

QueenFee

Still hangin in there, no growth aids still just Jamaican black castor oil, Hawaiian Silky, and sta sof fro afro sheen. Thats about it for me so far everything is lookin good. My edges are still filling in even without growth aids so I'm happy. Pics by the end of this month =)

ebsalita

africanqueen456

Thanks for asking I graduated SL yay! I've given myself a little trim actually - basically I had really spiky feeling harsh ends and no amount of conditioning would solve it - was tangling and creating SSK's. I'm still SL but I don't think I'll make an inch this month. I'm thinking it'll be more like half an inch. Also I've kept my hair out of braids - just blowdrying and flatironing (I know it"s literally playing with fire, but it looks and feels so lovely!). I'll braid it up again soon, I'm just enjoying playing in it for a while :grin:

How is your growth going? I still need to make me that t-shirt for measuring, lol

africanqueen456

My growth is okay...I feel like the middle of hair isnt growing cuz if my shrinkage...I need to take some natural hair pics. Since I had just bced a month ago :lachen:...I am just not very excited sinced I bced and now I have to deal with my alopecia. I am not in the picture taking mood...I know I wll rise above it and that's what keeps me going. I have also been going through a lot which isnt helping my hair and I havent been working out. I am just too exhausted...:nono:

lillylovely

QUOTE=MangaManiac;13225909]I personally think that anyone can increase their hair growth if they are consistent in making healthy changes to diet, exercise, and hair/scalp care. I know that my hair was almost never longer than neck length and now it's 1.5" from BSL. Was my increase in growth consistent? Yes. It's lasted almost 2 years and even though I've gotten it cut a few times, it's still longer now than it's ever been.

Can ANYONE achieve 1" a month for 5+ months? If you're doing everything right and you have a positive mindset, yes. But, the reality is that most people doubt themselves (and others) and don't do everything right. I know there's still a lot of room for improvement in what I do, but I believe and I will make the necessary changes. People that let doubt hold them back will inevitably make choices (subconsciously) that hinder their progress. That's why positive thinking is so effective - you'll start changing your life in ways that you don't consciously recognize, but they end up having a huge impact on your life.

[/QUOTE] Bravo:clap::clap::clap::clap:

blueberryd

africanqueen456 As far as my reggie--i really don't do anything consistently except : i co-wash my hair 1x/week and always prepoo (my fave pre poo products are ORS replenish pac or NTM daily condish) they both give me super good slip and make detangling a breeze or atleast breezy-er lol. I usually shampoo 2x/month b/c some of my products have cones. I try to baggy my ends at night w/ coconut oil and cantu shea butter. I flat iron 1x/month and NEVER use a blow dryer. I have the basic arsenal of vitamins--which i need to try to be consistent with: biotin, msm, silica. Just started the nioxin vitamins 1xday, want to up it to 2x a day in april tho. That's about it ithink...sorry it's nothing new or novel lol ithink the key for me is keeping this transitioning head of mine tangle free...i'm 9 months post and ithink being gentle and low-manipulation are what's helping me retain.

itry to post what i do for each month in this thread--again it's nothing super exciting, but here are the links...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...7#post13122047

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...1#post12908881

xoxo

lushcoils

Hey ladies, I'm going to have to take a break after today. I have finals in a month.(I'll still be working on maximizing my growth). I'll see you then. Hopefully, I'll have some nice pics.

.:Eden:.

Check In

Jan 2011
Front: 7"
Back: 7.5"
Left Side: 7.5"
Right Side: 7.5"
Right Bottom: 7"
Left Bottom: 7"

Feb 2011
Front: 7.25"
Back: 7.75"
Left Side: 7.75"
Right Side: 7.75"
Right Bottom: 7.25"
Left Bottom: 7.25"

April 2011 - I had a setback due to the Tangle Teezer (ssk's and splits :sad:) so I had to cut probably 1/2" give or take all around. I'm currently using sulphur as my growth aid. I really need to be more consistent.
Front: 7.75"
Back: 8"
Left Side: 8.5"
Right Side: 8.5"
Right Bottom: 8"
Left Bottom: 8"