***Get an inch every month 2010 challenge anyone?***

NikkiQ

^^^^ aww thanks yodie! you and Grow are just trying to give me the kick I need to join the challenge. I'll be sure to personally let you guys know of my progress. I don't wanna seem like I'm butting in on anything.

grow

^^^stop worrying about butting in on anything, NikkiQ and just get your "butt" in there, lol!

ladies, progress report:

the month is almost over (tomorrow) and i think i see more than an inch of growth from when i took my last pic (siggy....was the last time i wore my hair "out").

of course, as soon as i pull it down to length check and then let go of it, the shrinkage has it pop right back up, so i'll have to wait until my perm in september to really "see" the difference!

c'mon ladies! let's get those inches adding up!!!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
^^^stop worrying about butting in on anything, NikkiQ and just get your "butt" in there, lol!

ladies, progress report:

the month is almost over (tomorrow) and i think i see more than an inch of growth from when i took my last pic (siggy....was the last time i wore my hair "out").

of course, as soon as i pull it down to length check and then let go of it, the shrinkage has it pop right back up, so i'll have to wait until my perm in september to really "see" the difference!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Good one!

NikkiQ

ladies, progress report:

Okay okay!!! I'll join MBL 2011

yodie

Bummed! My hair turned into a dry, twist out mess. It was dry and breaking, but I'm not sure why. It was fine @ home (Los Angeles). Maybe the humidity in NJ killed my ends. I was literally pulling hair out. I'm sure some of it was from not combing, etc.

I learned that a daily exposed twist out on wet hair doesn't work for me. My ends can't take the exposure.

I had to blowdry tonight (tension method) and press my ends. Why? Because they were so dry and raggedy. Need to be cut again and I just had a trim last month. Starting to wonder if msm is adding to my dryness and if I'll ever be able to retain beyond my neck. I'm very sad and look forward to going home.

Why am I so hair inept?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Bummed! My hair turned into a dry, twist out mess. It was dry and breaking, but I'm not sure why. It was fine @ home (Los Angeles). Maybe the humidity in NJ killed my ends. I was literally pulling hair out. I'm sure some of it was from not combing, etc.

I learned that a daily exposed twist out on wet hair doesn't work for me. My ends can't take the exposure.

I had to blowdry tonight (tension method) and press my ends. Why? Because they were so dry and raggedy. Need to be cut again and I just had a trim last month. Starting to wonder if msm is adding to my dryness and if I'll ever be able to retain beyond my neck. I'm very sad and look forward to going home.

Why am I so hair inept?

You aren't hair inept! And you can definitely retain past your neck. :yep:

You said your hair was doing well before, so what changed? Did you use something different this time?
It may very well be true that your ends don't like being out. Have you tried doing a twistout or rollerset, and then pinning the ends into an updo?

And I don't know your hair well...definitely not as well as you must, but it seems to me that applying heat to dry ends is a bit counterintuitive. Did you try any other solutions before turning to the heat?

yodie

Things that have changed are: went from west coast to east coast, started using Lok & Blok. No humidity where I live in LA.

I washed and conditioned before I used heat. Wore an updo yesterday, but it was so dry that it had to be washed and dc'd. Kinda new to finding out what works because I'm just coming out of my wig.

Overall, my hair feels tougher/stronger since I added msm.

grow

I agree with Chaos because there is no way that we cannot retain hair past our necks!

there must be something that was done that your hair is too sensitive having or also, not having.

like the products you used for example.
i didn't see anything about moisturizing and sealing, though, if you did do that, maybe it's just that those are not the right products for your hair.

you are just fresh from the wigs and your hair might be sensitive to the elements.
your ends are certainly not accustomed to all of the harshness the elements have.

and as for the hairs that came out from not combing, know that whenever i go a while without combing, the hairs that come out from natural shedding "seem to be more", but they're not.

then there's the blowdryer, where i surely hope a heat protectant was used, yet have to agree that this isn't always the best choice.

if i find that my hair is "messy" and it seems hard to do anything with it, i start over with a clean slate.

the most positive thing is that you do know that you learned something new about your hair.

be patient with yourself and your hair because it takes us a while to learn what our hair likes and doesn't like, so it's great to learn to love the journey!

Beautifulwildflower

Njoy you have me curious about texlaxing. I just finished washing and combing out my hair, it took an 1½-2 hours ( did a mayo cond. since I dyed my hair blue last week). 30 of those minutes were just combing the middle. Anyway, I thought maybe texlaxing the middle (cuz the rest of my head is easy to comb. I'm 4c middle and the rest is 4b. Has anyone done this before???

pureebony

hey girlies sorry i have been MIA, but here is my update, not miraculous but all in all getting there. it seems that my hair growth has slooowwwed down, really need to get it together!

just washed

blowdried on cool semi hot heat

length now after chop

edges are not looking to great...making me think i should go back to bunning?!!

All in all i am ok with my progress but im starting to feel like my hair needs more of the tlc i gave it whilst bunning, and even though i just purchased some extension plus hair!?!!! im thinking i might just go back to it....

Lita

hey girlies sorry i have been MIA, but here is my update, not miraculous but all in all getting there. it seems that my hair growth has slooowwwed down, really need to get it together!

just washed

blowdried on cool semi hot heat

length now after chop

edges are not looking to great...making me think i should go back to bunning?!!

All in all i am ok with my progress but im starting to feel like my hair needs more of the tlc i gave it whilst bunning, and even though i just purchased some extension plus hair!?!!! im thinking i might just go back to it....

You have pretty thick hair/like the color too!

(Try not to add to much STRESS on your edges)

Happy Hair Growing!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Ok, ladies. We're headed for that final stretch of the year. Time to really use every tip, trick and technique to pull in as much growth as possible to make those goals. How's everyone doing with your original goal? I'm not sure but, I think I need a full inch a month to be sure that I meet my EOY goal. Let's go!!

pureebony

ladies, how have you all been? i deserve a serious beating, in an attempt to 'heat train' my hair (which i now realize is not for me) i left my hair smelling of burned peanut butter on toast according to mys sister!?!?

I seriously do not listen to my hair and i have ruined it to the max, so whatever growth i got this year has been damaged, i think i need to be sat down and taught the aesthetics of good hair care because i obviously haven't a clue.

but on that note i am starting all over again- i cant believe this- a joke of ignoramus portions!!

how are you ladies doing? NJoy im so proud of you girl- your hair is looking fantastic!!

so besides my ignorance how are the rest of you lovelies who listen to their hair doing?!? xxx

NJoy

Here I grow again!
ladies, how have you all been? i deserve a serious beating, in an attempt to 'heat train' my hair (which i now realize is not for me) i left my hair smelling of burned peanut butter on toast according to mys sister!?!?

I seriously do not listen to my hair and i have ruined it to the max, so whatever growth i got this year has been damaged, i think i need to be sat down and taught the aesthetics of good hair care because i obviously haven't a clue.

but on that note i am starting all over again- i cant believe this- a joke of ignoramus portions!!

how are you ladies doing? NJoy im so proud of you girl- your hair is looking fantastic!!

so besides my ignorance how are the rest of you lovelies who listen to their hair doing?!? xxx

Thanks, girl. And don't be so hard on yourself. So now you know that doesn't work for your hair. Hop back on that horse and ride into next year. It's coming anyway. We might as well continue reaching for our goals. :yep:

Did anyone get an inch for at least more than 4 times out of the year?

I think I did. :lick: I got a little hair lazy around the summer and a little lazy right now but, I'm expecting a spurt towards the end of 1st quarter of 2011. :pray: I've always expected 1" per month and think expecting it helped. :look:

JFK

@pureebony: I had the same results with heat training. I have so many DEEP split ends. It's ridiculous. It may be from my technique, or lack of, but I'm leaving the heat alone. NJoy gave excellent advice. I'll be on the horse behind you riding into the new year towards my goals God willing.

@NJoy: Thanks for responding and congratulations on your growth but especially your retention. Your dedication is really paying off! I'm so happy for you! (I don't know you personally but I just like to see other people reach their goals LOL) <3

Ms_CoCo37

Wow! I forgot that I was in this challenge! :perplexed

Suffice it to say, I really don't see any growth myself. I do believe I am just about the same length as when I started. Of course that's due to pure laziness.

Oh well. :ohwell: Guess I'll be hopping back on the horse with everyone else.:grin:

pureebony

ROLL ON NEW YEAR- as we are ridding that horse till its beat!! i.e. till we all get our hair goals achieved!! lol

diadall

Thanks, girl. And don't be so hard on yourself. So now you know that doesn't work for your hair. Hop back on that horse and ride into next year. It's coming anyway. We might as well continue reaching for our goals. :yep:

I think I did. :lick: I got a little hair lazy around the summer and a little lazy right now but, I'm expecting a spurt towards the end of 1st quarter of 2011. :pray: I've always expected 1" per month and think expecting it helped. :look:

That is how I feel. I told someone that sometimes I feel like I have hair hanging down my back. That is foreshowing, I believe.

Last edited:

Beautifulwildflower

I would say yes, however comma. I tried to fix an under process perm early this year by reperming (bad idea) so I experience breakage on my ends. With lots of oil treatments that stopped. So if anything my hair got thicker.

My other problem, I'm a color junkie and the only thing bout that is you can only tell what color it is in the sunlight. Thought I learned my lesson, but I decided I wanted to be a lighter blue and bleached, then recolored :nono:. More treatments. Then I got curious about texlaxing, cuz it's a chore to comb my hair out (10 months since last relaxer) . I texlaxed last month. That actually came out nice tho and lovin it.

Whew, with all that said, eggs (stopped my hair from breaking), banana, mayo, olive, jojoba, coconut oil (penetrates hair shaft) and shea butter (seal in moisture), protective styling & vitamins - I was able to keep what I have without chopping. Now my hair fairly even.

Long story short, keeping the texlaxing, done with full strength relaxers & no more permanent color instead it's QP elasta cellophane or henna.:yep:

Attachments

• #14 hair 3:2010.jpg
    #14 hair 3:2010.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 13
  • hair 7.23.2010.jpg
    hair 7.23.2010.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 11
  • hair closer look 9.23.2010.jpg
    hair closer look 9.23.2010.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 13