Does anyone wear headwrap 98 % of the time?

Mahalialee4

I wear my headwraps during the day and a silk or satin scarf at tonight. It seems to keep my hair moisturized and healthy. I have some beautifully hand crocheted hair coverings as well, to wear when I have company or have to go out. I have found that my hair is very manageable when I do groom it. Since I am currently using the Crown and Glory method, between times of braiding, I cover my hair as well. When does it get air? 1 hour a day. Also, at misting, spraying, shampoo and conditioning times and. Now I do not have the extensions in as it is the time for a break and I have my own hair in 6 braids. The wrapping keeps the hair smooth and from matting. My ends also stay moist and healthy. Does anyone else do this?

I don't wear a scarf during the day, mainly because I look stupid with them on. (I don't know how to tie them.) But I do wear a covering at night, and, y'know what they say, we spend half our life sleeping... ...So that's a lotta cover time!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

To get the same results as you, I wet my hair every day either in the shower or from my little water spray bottle. My ends are also moist and free of split ends. I'm proud of the health of my hair now! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do the headwrap thing minus everything else. I just wash my hair every morning and wrap it. My hair gets plenty of air at home though. I never wear it at home. It makes my forehead break out actually. It is cold in New York so I bought a heavier material and it is very itchy. I only wear it outside. I am really not allowed to wear it to work unless for some religious or otherwise cultural reason but I am the blackest thing there so they don't know it isn' t cultural and they don't dare ask. I never thought to groom it under there. I don't even comb my hair anymore. That is funky I know. I figure no one will see it. I just make sure my hair is in a kind of neat ponytail and wrap it. I will be getting braids soon though. Anything where I don't have to do my hair on a daily basis is the best option for me.

My hair doesn't get much exposure at all right now. I'd say 99% of the time it's underwraps (no pun intended)

I wear a silk scarf to work and when i come home I'm always lying down to watch TV (I'm like a 23 year old foetus) so the doo rag then has to go on. I can't even have my hair exposed on a satin pillow at night.

When I first went natural I kept my hair wrapped for an entire 9 months that was my style. It is the best protective style to wear. my hair stayed very soft, I just started doing wraps again because I am trying to gain back the original thickness that I once had. My hair thinned out a little over the summer because I wore cornrow extension. So I am back to washing my hair once a week and oiling with castor oil lightly every other day and wearing my wrap.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I am starting to go back to headwraps. The reason being is because I am now back to protective styling. I am a natural 4a/b, and I am wearing my hair in about 8 braids (since I don't know how to cornrow yet). I haven't experienced a problem with wearing just headwraps, the only thing I make sure to do is WEAR A SILK SCARF underneath because I don't want the hard cotton material rubbing against my edges.

As I am at home all day I wear a silk scarf 24/7. I find that I will not play in or mess with my hair when it is covered. If I should go out I cover my hair with a nylon scull cap and wear a demi braided wig. My hair is only loose and down when I come home from my touch-up. Once home I take a progress picture on my computer (I have over 50), then braid and cover my hair.

Mahalialee4 said:
I wear my headwraps during the day and a silk or satin scarf at tonight. It seems to keep my hair moisturized and healthy. I have some beautifully hand crocheted hair coverings as well, to wear when I have company or have to go out. I have found that my hair is very manageable when I do groom it. Since I am currently using the Crown and Glory method, between times of braiding, I cover my hair as well. When does it get air? 1 hour a day. Also, at misting, spraying, shampoo and conditioning times and. Now I do not have the extensions in as it is the time for a break and I have my own hair in 6 braids. The wrapping keeps the hair smooth and from matting. My ends also stay moist and healthy. Does anyone else do this?

Shalom shalom Mahalialee,

I cover my hair daily because of my religious beliefs and YES my hair has grown most (maintained accumulatiom) when I cover daily. The thing is I only moisturize and oil my hair at night, so I won't stain my scarves in the day (I have had an embarrassing moment, esp. since I wear henna so I wear the deeper colored ones if I find too much moisture or wear a regular bandana as an underscarf.)

I wear the satin scarves at night. But I do walk around the house without my hair covered, in the day.

This is one of the blessings when covering ones hair. :yep: Since my big chop last early spring, I am starting to gain back the inches. (I was inching past brastrap) Right now I am middle of the shoulder blade.

Tsiporah T.

tsiporah said:
Shalom shalom Mahalialee,

I cover my hair daily because of my religious beliefs and YES my hair has grown most (maintained accumulatiom) when I cover daily. The thing is I only moisturize and oil my hair at night, so I won't stain my scarves in the day (I have had an embarrassing moment, esp. since I wear henna so I wear the deeper colored ones if I find too much moisture or wear a regular bandana as an underscarf.)

I wear the satin scarves at night. But I do walk around the house without my hair covered, in the day.

This is one of the blessings when covering ones hair. :yep: Since my big chop last early spring, I am starting to gain back the inches. (I was inching past brastrap) Right now I am middle of the shoulder blade.

Tsiporah T.

I am really happy that you and others are getting thicker hair and growth as a result. I was concerned that some may think that it thins the hair, retards growth or creates thin hair. Okay. Great. Thanks!!!! Bonjour

I work from home so I spend 90% of my time inside anyway and I always have my satin bonnet on. When I am out, I'm in a wig or phony pony.

My hair is covered during the day with a wig cap and wig. I sleep in shower cap to hold in moisture.

In the summer, I wear hats almost every day and a plastic cap under the hat. I sleep in a plastic cap every night. When I wear wrap, I wear a plastic cap or Saran wrap. So yes, keeping my head covered is a sure way to keep moisture, and I haven't noticed it thinning my hair.

So yes, in the summer, I keep my hair underwraps about 98% of the time...maybe even 99.9% of the time. In the winter, I only keep it underwraps outdoors and maybe 50% of the time indoors if wearing a cute hat or headwrap and not just a woolly warm hat.

Before LHCF I would have weeks when I chose to let my hair 'rest' - I wouldhave it cornrowed in a very simple style and then wrap it everyday, just oiling the scalp every couple of days. I felt my hair benefited from this, because it allowed no manipulation & created a constant DC/steam simulation. IMO this practice is a great protective 'style' which your hair can only benefit from if it is properly moisturised. (Of course when wrapping or wearing hats I always wear a satin scarf or baggy underneath).

I wish I could do this right now, as I've had single plaits in for 3 wks and my roots r a growing out mess!

Last edited:
Back