Do you feel natural hair ages some people?

southerncitygirl

For a long time I thought that I wasn't wearing my natural hair cause I didn't know what to do with it and now I realize that only partly true. Though I don't look old I feel like wearing my hair natural ages me a bit. Part of it may be the shrinkage and I don't think short hair is flattering on me (I have a long narrow face and feel like I look better with long layers or bobs). My hair only stretches so much and its still quite a bit of shrinkage. What are your thoughts?

KittyMeowMeow

I was just thinking about how I've seen the back of someone's head in their avatar or siggie and assume they are some age, and then am surprised to see their face- I thought they were either older or younger based on their hair. It didn't have anything to do with relaxed or natural though- more about the style, shape, health, length and/or fullness of the hair.

Ms.Christ3n

I was just thinking about how I've seen someone's av or siggie and assume they are some age, and then am surprised to see their face- I thought they were either older or younger based on their hair. It didn't have anything to do with relaxed or natural though- more about the style, shape, health, length and/or fullness of the hair.

I agree. I think it's the styling of the hair that ages a person, not whether it's natural or relaxed.

motherpopcorn562

For a long time I thought that I wasn't wearing my natural hair cause I didn't know what to do with it and now I realize that only partly true. Though I don't look old I feel like wearing my hair natural ages me a bit. Part of it may be the shrinkage and I don't think short hair is flattering on me (I have a long narrow face and feel like I look better with long layers or bobs). My hair only stretches so much and its still quite a bit of shrinkage. What are your thoughts?
maybe if you hair was shaped properly or a little longer?

*CherryPie*

I think it depends on the person. I've some people look older with natural hair. Then i've seen some people look younger. Go figure.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I get what your saying my natural hair makes me look older too. Its the length because I have a tiny head. When its longer I think it will look fine.

southerncitygirl

I stretched my hair out and I'm a bit longer than apl but with shrinkage it rests at the base of my neck/top of my shoulders with the longest layers. I think I'll have to accept that my hair won't hang cause the longer it gets the curlier it gets...sigh. I think I'm also a little self conscious cause of some scarring from some cystic acne(it may never fully go away) and some dark marks that are fading away....natural hair draws tons of attention to your face and I'm not real comfortable with that, to tell the truth. I like my curls...I'm 3c/4a but this darn shrinkage...aaargh!!

melissa-bee

I've seen a lot of comparisons (relaxed then natural), and in my opinion it makes the person look younger almost all the time.

ThickHair

I think well managed natural hair makes you look years younger.

I am also on the same bandwagon that shorter hair when you are older makes you look younger. I am not a big fan of woman 60+ with long hair. That is JMHO.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I agree most people look younger. People always think I'm way younger since going natural.

keelioness

It depends...some people look older with TWA and small 2 strand twists.. the big longer twist look more flattering

Britt

It depends...some people look older with TWA and small 2 strand twists.. the big longer twist look more flattering

Yesss....
Cause I think some people look older w/ natural hair, and I notice the ones that I think do, it's b/c they have a twa or really small twists. However, I do think the more natural hair a person has, the younger they tend to look, styling also makes a big difference. Of course, if one has big curlyish hair, that def gives them a much more youthful demeanor and overall apperance, I don't think the bc/twa gives that effect at all tho on women under 30.

BostonMaria

I always thought natural hair makes me look older. Especially when my hair was shorter. This isn't true for everybody tho.

Dak

After years of being natural I started flat ironing my hair & got so much feedback that straighter hair makes me look younger. I do look better with some hair around my face, I have a very high forehead, bangs balance & soften my face. Curly bangs don't really work on me.

Lylddlebit

Not unless they look older to begin with. Yesterday I saw a lady from afar and she had a puff going on. As I got closer to her and we begin to have a conversation about hair I realized she was not as young as her wardrobe and hair suggested. So in her case her sense of style(hair included) drew a clear contrast to the fact that she was 40 and dressed/styled like she was a lot younger. I have never seen hair alone make someone look older though, more their age or younger, but not older by itself. Usually it is the whole package that can tricks you.

nique3

I think it depends on the style as well. I had a friend who was natural and she wore her hair in french roles and up do's which aged her like 30 years (seriously), however, when she wore her hair in twist outs it made her look about 10 years younger than her age.

KittyMeowMeow

OT: Sometimes longer hair makes people look older to me :confused:

I agree. Some people look much younger when they BC and have a TWA. A member here recently BCed and she's a gorgeous woman either way, but I felt like the TWA took about 10 years off her.

gn1g

Natural hair definetly makes most people look older and heaven forbid it has a single strand of gray.

Long hair makes the face longer and can also make some look older.

LaToya28

I think my twa ages me, but I can deal with it until it grows out. I think it has a lot to do with the style, for example puffs have a more youthful appearance.