• Every other week

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Never comb....only use fingers

Votes: 58 12.2%
  • Combing???? What is that????.......

Votes: 16 3.4%

• Total voters

*Muffin*

I wish there was an other option, lol. I only comb on wash days as well when my hair is wet, has conditioner in it, and with a wide-toothed shower comb. I find that this has drastically reduced the frizziness and puffiness of my ends as well as prevented breakage for me. I wash my hair 2-3 times per week.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I comb on wash days only. Once I started this healthy hair journey I learned as long as I wear my scarf at night I don't need to comb everyday. I bun everyday and can smooth my hair back into a bun easily. I have done some bantu knots (still trying to perfect this method to achieve the look I want) once or twice but I don't need a comb for that either. We have to do what works for us and I know for me personally that I don't retain length as well when I do a lot of combing.

This is still working for me but rather than calling it combing I am detangling. During my first stretch (17.5 weeks) I didn't have to do any detangling. Just good old fashioned combing was going on. This time around about week 4 I had to start detangling. I will be 4 months post/16 weeks post this week and will continue til 6 months. Figured out my hair is texlaxed (did it by mistake but I love it) and since I airdry my hair is never straight but always wavy so I have to be careful with the combing. I am losing minimal hair during my detangling so I know I am doing what is best for my hair.

*Michelle*

I comb twice a day, once to style in the morning and once to put it up at night. I can't imagine not combing my hair for days at a time.

With that said I don't think it effects my hair...I do use a Mason Pierson or Kent comb, so maybe that's why IDK.

growinstrong

Yep I comb my hair, once a week right before I wash it. That seems to work best for me and dont get that many broken hairs for the week. I havent had a trim since November, so it must be working :grin:.

beans4reezy

I have three textures in my head right now and am dealing with tangling. If I didn't comb my hair everyday, my hair would be a straight mess:nono:

I only comb morning and night though, so I am hoping that I am still retaining length.

byrdmail

I have very thin hair. I tried the "no manipulation" "no comb" thing for awhile because I thought I would lose less hair...my hair was a mess. Every time I washed it, it would be really tangled and I ended up losing a lot of hair. I am back to combing everyday or at least every two days.

phyl73

Yes. I tried not combing but only using my fingers. BIG, BIG mistake. It was a mess. Now when I have my hair out (not in a sew in) I use three combs to detangle. It takes me a couple of hours to get through wash day. I start with the wide tooth comb and section off in the shower with conditioner and then use a smaller wide tooth comb and finally I use a small tooth comb. This has helped alot with single strand knots. I also have found that I must either braid or twist my hair to dry or I still get those knots after all that detangling. I'm still learning about my natural hair. It's been a fun ride so far.

LovinLea

i don't comb, so much as pull it apart. my natural roots always "stick together" if i leave it alone too long. when i say too long, i mean a day.

beans4reezy

I have very thin hair. I tried the "no manipulation" "no comb" thing for awhile because I thought I would lose less hair...my hair was a mess. Every time I washed it, it would be really tangled and I ended up losing a lot of hair. I am back to combing everyday or at least every two days.

Exactly. I have three textures of hair on my head right now. Not combing my hair is NOT an option.

Stella B.

I comb every single day. Have to, or my 3 and a half inches of new growth would begin to loc together. Can't afford to have a tangled mess at the roots, cause I'm trying to stretch till the end of the year.

Ms_CoCo37

so how often do you comb your hair???
I can't get away with not combing my hair everyday. I do most of my combing in the shower because it's easier to detangle that way.

has combing/not combing often helped retain length???
I'm not sure because I haven't worn my hair straight in a good month. Plus I've been taking scissors to it (trying to cut the straight pieces).

which size comb/s do you use???
I use a wide tooth shower comb and my Denman brush.

do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often
I have to admit that in the past, I have been very heavy-handed with the comb. But since coming to this forum I have learned to be patient and take my time detangling. I've noticed that I am shedding less hair now.

which style do you use to maintain presentable hair if you dont comb often???
When I'm trying not to comb I'll do twists.

n_vizion

I comb pretty much every day. What I try to do is do the minimum amount of combing I can to look halfway decent. I tend to wear my hair out a lot so I have to comb otherwise I look homeless.

When I do comb, I dont go from root to tip. I just focus on small sections at a time and try to minimize breakage as much as possible. I do honestly belive that, even though I'm retaining most of my length, I'd be much further off if I bunned or styled protectivel daily.

If I only combed once or twice a week, my hair wouldn't make it. The tangles would outlast the level of patience required to deal with them. Alas, I would only move backward in my progress.

But if you're worried about loss via combing, you can try some alternatives such as finger styling or combing every other day instead of every day.

Ronnieaj

I comb my hair twice a week. On Saturdays I start with a wide toothed comb, followed by a medium toothed comb, and finally a fine toothed comb for twisting. I keep my hair in twists until Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I use a wide toothed comb followed by my Denman and wear a wash and go for Thursday and Friday, and repeat. My hair does not do well with no combing; it takes my hair approximately 1.5 days to start twisting around itself, and then I have madness on my hands :nono:.

poookie

only on wash days, under running water, & only with a moisturizing slippy conditioner in my hair. which is 1x a week. there's no need for me to comb at all when my hair is dry.