• Every other week

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Never comb....only use fingers

Votes: 58 12.2%
  • Combing???? What is that????.......

Votes: 16 3.4%

• Total voters

Creatividual

When I was relaxed, I combed close to everyday. I rocked a lot of up-dos so a lot of the time I could get away with finger combing; saving the combing for wash days when I detangled.

Now that I"m natural, I only comb my hair when it's wet and saturated with conditioner or damp with a moisturizing product in it which in most cases is when I'm washing my hair. In both cases a wide tooth/detangling comb is/was used and long as I have/had moisturizing products applied to my hair, I didn't/don't experience breakage, just the normal shedding your hair does.

hillytmj

I only comb on wash day (week). Since doing this, I rarely have splits and have been able to retain length. Prior to this, I combed my hair all day long. I normally keep it pinned up, in tight curls or in a ponytail and finger comb if I take it down during the week.

TeaKyoo

I started doing this in the last few weeks. I thought I could never not comb my hair. But so far its not so bad. 3 weeks now of no combing and I am loving it. I have to admit I am co-washing almost everyday. I think virtuousjewel on fotki reminded me of this "no combing" thing...I am just finger combing. I recall people saying they did this and I was like yeah whatever my hair texture and thickness aint going for that. But low and behold it is working. I am going to keep it going until I can't any more.

I like it because I keep a nice curl pattern, don't have to keep looking for my mebco detangling comb and I am losing less hair to breakage. I will have to remember to up date my routine and see how long I can do it. Before this I used to comb detangle weekly or 2x a month. Now I finger detangle 3x a week.

Also, I never comb my hair outside of the shower. My hair is always wet and drenched with conditioner before I fingercomb it.

TQ

Last edited:

MAMATO

I never comb my hair to style it only on washday...First under the shower ( I didn't get the technique at the begining, but now I am getting used to it) and then with a paddle brush if I blowdry. I dont use the blowdryer with the comb attachment since I only blowdry my roots and then run the hot brush down to my ends carefully :) The second pic in my siggy, Caruso rollers and finger comb :)

LushLox

When I actively started taking better care of my hair last year I combed every day as I thought it was necessary. This year I only comb twice a week on wash days and I've seen a noticeable difference. This method is really helping me to retain.

tocktick

so how often do you comb your hair???
Nearly every time I wash it. So about 2x a week.

has combing/not combing often helped retain length???

Personally, I think so long as I don't comb in excess, my hair will retain length. I notice now as my hair gets longer, that if I don't comb enough, my hair gets knotted up really easily. Thus when I'm styling or trying to comb my hair later, more hair is coming out. Finger combing is not enough.

which size comb/s do you use???

A regular wide tooth one

do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often

N/A...

which style do you use to maintain presentable hair if you dont comb often???

N/A...

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I comb or smooth my hair daily or every other day and only on wet/damp hair.

I wet my hair completely or wash it with conditioner every day once I'm 9-10 weeks post and it's the only way I could comb my hair.

My hair is relaxed, thin/fine and 4b.

Vonnieluvs08

only on wash days which is twice a week but I comb it with each treatment (cowash, DC, leave-in). When I start with more cowashes in the summer I'll increase the combing as needed.

Definitely. I know some of the reason I was losing hair/length was because I was using a paddle brush when I would blow dry and it was tearing my hair up. :wallbash: Now I only use my shower comb gently with lots of conditioner

A seamless wide tooth. I have a two different Denmans and my hair doesn't like them right now.:sad:

My hair knots/tangles very easily especially when wet and since I'm transitioning it gets caught at the line of demarcation so I have to get all that shed hair out or else I'm in for trouble.:nono:

Buns, ponytails, braid outs

exoticmommie

If my hair is in a curly style i.e twist, ringlet curls and etc. I don't comb it, but if it is in a straight style I have to comb it, or it starts to tangle and get a matted look to it. Not cute.

aprils13

How is everyone wearing your hair at night? Before cutting my hair I always wrapped my and I can only wrap it with a comb.

But know I only comb my hair with conditioner 3xs a week.

Kacie

I wet my hair at least twice a week, so I detangle with a wide tooth comb while in the shower. Once my hair is dry, I separate it into tiny sections and comb again with the wide tooth comb focusing on the roots (to remove all shed hair). After that, there's no combing until the next wash day.

I try to stretch to at least 5 months. Stretching 4a/b hair + No combing = Tangles/ Knots

brucebettye

I comb my hair every two weeks. It is getting to become too much work since my hair is texlaxed, shoulder length, and very thick. Also I am lazy and do not like combing my hair.

LushLox

I'm able to limit the combing because I do rollersets twice weekly, that's more than enough manipulation already! The first day I wear my curls down, then the next two days I pin my curls up then it's time to wash again. Then I just repeat the process; it's working out very well at the moment, but we'll see when the new growth comes in! :eek:

Nonie

I usually don't. I mostly finger comb. But when I have all my hair out or if I plan to wear it out (...or as I discovered recently, if I am going to press it :giggle: ), then I do comb.

There was no choice for "once in a blue moon" so I didn't know what to pick. :look:

hillytmj

How is everyone wearing your hair at night? Before cutting my hair I always wrapped my and I can only wrap it with a comb.

But know I only comb my hair with conditioner 3xs a week.

I sleep in a bun or pineapple (put my hair in a high, "I dream of Jeannie" ponytail and add three rollers to the ends. I wrap my head with a satin scarf and that's it.)

MummysGirl

I cowash 3 times a week and detangle on these days. I finger comb my hair in the mornings and sometimes lightly smooth my hair with a comb in the mornings.

When I wear braidouts or rollersets, I don't comb my hair.

Last edited:

Lyoness

Now that I'm natural I don't .. not unless I want a huge bush.. I only tend to comb on washdays now with conditioner in my hair and even then finger combing does perfectly fine..

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Due to severe damage, I try no to manipulate too, too often. Mostly just comb on Wash Days. Other than that, if and when I feel the need to, I will take a soft bristle brush and lightly brush over the top :(

MeechUK

MeechUK
Only when I wash my hair weekly

Large tooth bone or wooden

No, plastic seamed combs rip my hair and the static causes my hair to dry and break when I used them daily. I can use the bone or wooden combs daily, but I chose to finger comb when I moisturise my hair.

A protective plaited or cornrowed style

sonce

I don't have a strict rule, but I comb my hair only when I have to, which is when I change hair styles. So, that comes to about once every two weeks when my hair is not braided/twisted, and about once every four weeks when my hair is in a protective style.

Oh yes! This is the #1 reason why I have any hair on my head. My hair is simply too fragile for regular manipulation.

I use a comb with teeth so wide that I can fit a finger between its teeth. I comb my hair just enough to make it possible to style it. I do not care about making sure every last knot and tangle is out (as if that's possible with nappy hair :giggle:), and I do not care about making sure every area is combed. I do a very general run-through with my wide-tooth comb just to clear enough shed hair to not have shed hair dangling off the ends of my hair (which happens when I go about six weeks without combing, which I used to).

Braids and twists, when my hair is in protective styles. Nowadays, I am wearing my hair out all the time. An updo with chopsticks, a big braid at the base of my neck, and a bun are my main styles of choice (to protect my ends). Sometimes I just leave my hair out.

LongCurlz

I dont comb my hair very often especially with 5-6 inches of new growth.and I always comb with tons! of conditioner..combing too often on dry hair like giving your self a natural hair cut:perplexed

BTW Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is an EXCELLENT conditioner for detangling.

Last edited: