• Post wash on soaking wet hair with leave-ins

Votes: 50 20.0%
  • Post wash on towel dried hair with leave-ins

Votes: 47 18.8%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 43 17.2%

• Total voters

LovelyLionessa

On my hair care journey, I have learned one important rule, to NEVER comb my hair when dry. What I'm curious about, is when does everyone do their combing and detangling? For months I have been combing under the shower stream while rinsing my conditioner, but now I'm thinking about combing instead post wash on damp hair slick and moisturized with leave-ins. When do you ladies comb? TIA :drunk:

skoloco

I voted for combing towel dried hair. Since I air dry, I have to comb it wet or it will not dry right. Also, if I didn't at least blot it with a towel it would take too long to dry.

cocowhite

I comb post wash after applying my leave-ins, but sometimes I may comb/detangle in the shower while under the running water.

Isis

I comb under the shower while rinsing out the conditioner. I voted that although I also comb my leave-in through.

LovelyLionessa

skoloco said:
I voted for combing towel dried hair. Since I air dry, I have to comb it wet or it will not dry right. Also, if I didn't at least blot it with a towel it would take too long to dry.

This is what I'm feeling right now. I'm going to try this for my next wash. I tried that no towel drying route for a while and not only did it take forever for my hair to airdry, my hair gets very mad at me when I sleep with it in a wet braidout. :mad:

And lately while rinsing under the shower stream, I find that it takes too long for me to comb and then too much conditioner gets rinsed out for my tastes. I'd like to still have a little protective coating of condish in my hair. :cool:

Also, I'm changing up my hair routine, where I wash with a detachable shower head, with my head hanging over the bath. Then I follow with a deep conditioning. That way there's no jumping in and out of the shower a million times, 'cause that's just not going to happen. :nono:

Ronda123

I comb post wash on soaking wet hair with leave-ins.

I am going to try combing under the shower while rinsing out the conditioner on my next wash day to see if this is better.

sylver2

I comb while conditioner is in hair under running water
Then I comb my leave in post wash
Once a month I blow dry using the blow dryer/comb attachment

Quinette

Hello, I'm new here and I was just wondering. How does the not combing your hair work? Do you use a brush instead or nothing at all? I have just started trying to grow my hair long and I want to do it right. My hair just grazes my shoulders now and that's the longest it's ever been. So any help/advice would be greatly appericated.
Thanks.

lonei

Quinette said:
Hello, I'm new here and I was just wondering. How does the not combing your hair work? Do you use a brush instead or nothing at all? I have just started trying to grow my hair long and I want to do it right. My hair just grazes my shoulders now and that's the longest it's ever been. So any help/advice would be greatly appericated.
Thanks.

For me, excessive combing leads to more breakage/shedding than necessary. I never brush, for me, that was the worse culprit. Instead I only use a comb on wash day, once every 3 weeks and style my hair with my hands/finger comb. If my hair is really tangled, i may comb it once a week max but not without adding some type of product in first. Not every one can handle it, but when you learn how to style your hair right without a comb, you'll be fine. people, never believe me when I say I never comb. Look at Sylver2's album, she does this also.

preciousjewel76

I didn't vote because I do all of the above, but I prefer to comb in the shower with the water stream loosening things up. And I also comb (just a little!) on dry hair, but ONLY with a very wide-toothed come, and ONLY after applying lots of moisturizer. I'm trying to get away from combing my hair when it's dry, but that will take time. As someone mentioned in another thread, I'm sort of "hair retarded" when it comes to styling! :grin:

kitkat3ny

I voted other. CW daily and comb when the conditioner is first put into my hair and then I put it up w/ a butterfly clip and continue on w/ my shower. Wash out when done w/ shower.

sareca

I voted under shower stream, but it varies. Just a couple of weeks ago I was doing towel dried hair.

JustKiya

I rinse my hair out with cool/coldish water, so I can't/won't comb my hair while under the spray. *bbrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!* But then, I also usually leave in my condish for a while - often overnight.

So, I'll comb/detangle my hair while it's drenched in conditioner, before I get in the shower, then get in, rinse out the conditioner, and give it a quick couples of swipes with the comb.

I usually then comb it again while still damp to spread my leave-in through, and to put together whatever style I'm wearing that day.

Armyqt

Great thread. Ok so ladies answer me this. How are you all wearing your hair while you're not combing it? How do you style it and wash day that allows you to not use a come throughout the week. I don't comb often and when I do I use a LARGE comb. But I want to try this no manipulation at all. But that would still be kinda hard because even if I wore a ponytail daily,I'd still like to moisturize 2x daily. Oh shucks, this may be harder than I thought. :look:

Ms Red

I comb under the shower w/conditioner, when wet w/moisturizers and when towel-dried with leave-ins (I guess all 3?) And I do all of those steps only once a week to cut down on manipulation.

LovelyLionessa

Armyqt said:
Great thread. Ok so ladies answer me this. How are you all wearing your hair while you're not combing it? How do you style it and wash day that allows you to not use a come throughout the week. I don't comb often and when I do I use a LARGE comb. But I want to try this no manipulation at all. But that would still be kinda hard because even if I wore a ponytail daily,I'd still like to moisturize 2x daily. Oh shucks, this may be harder than I thought. :look:

I wear my hair down, usually after setting it in a twistout, braidout, flexirod or bantu set over night. I just take my hair down in the morning and add a little oil for shine if need be and go. :cool:

Thanks for all the great responses ladies! Very insightful. :)

planodiva

I voted that I comb post wash with leave-in. But I also have to detangle in the shower.

Armyqt- on wash day I either do braid out, twist out. I pull my hair in a french twist the next day and this is my style for the majority of the week. This method works and I don't have to comb through my hair. I do moisturize my ends, but I just run my fingers through my hair.

About a month ago my aunt gave me braids and combed through my hair when it was dry but had oil on it and I wanted to cry. She thinks I'm crazy for not combing my hair daily and told me my roots were getting matted because I wasn't combing my hair daily. I just will NEVER let her touch my head again. Now that I think about it I probably did cry. I went against my hair religion.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I comb two ways: Old way,when wet and full of condish.
New way, when hair is dry after hair has been combed in the shower. I spray a detangler on my hair and some oil/moisturizer, air dry in 6 big twists and take each section and comb with my K-Cutter.

2cute2B4gotten

Ok, I am the odd man out, I guess. I comb everyday (on dry hair - but sprayed with oil sheen). I have tried not combing, but my hair just won't act right! I have to lightly comb everyday, otherwise when I do comb, I have a lot more breakage.

LovelyLionessa

2Cute2B2b4gotten, your hair is gorgeous!! :shocked:

Okay, I think I am resolving my hair quandry. I'm going to do a combo, after rinsing out my prepoo condish I'll do some preliminary detangling in the shower and then after deep conditioning and towel blotting, I'll add my leave-ins and comb thru as usual. I guess, I should vote "other," in my own poll. :look: