• Post wash on soaking wet hair with leave-ins

Votes: 50 20.0%
  • Post wash on towel dried hair with leave-ins

Votes: 47 18.8%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 43 17.2%

• Total voters

KinkyGenius

How is everyone able to go allllll week without running a comb or paddle brush through their hair? Or am I'm interpreting this too literally and "don't comb your hair" means don't detangle on dry hair, but it's ok to comb your dry hair from time to time"?

I comb my hair at night only right before bed when I'm putting in my flexirods.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I comb my hair during the prepoo step. While my hair is soaked in conditioner and oils. I really only comb my hair when I take down my cornrows to get the shed hairs out before my shampoo

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
Same here. I only comb/detagle 2x's per week on wash days. And that is ONLY during my pre-poo session. I spray liberally with S-Curl, then Amla oil. I comb thru to detangle and remove whatever sheds since the last wash session, then I put on a shower cap & pre-poo with that mixture. Gotta tell ya...this method is the STUFF. My detangling combs literally glide thru my hair including months of new growth too.:yep:

PPGbubbles

Post wash on towel dried hair with leave-ins

I find that for my fine strands I loose less hair when I towel dry then spray a light leave in like Ahpogee Pro Vitamin spray. I finger detangle then use a wide tooth and then proceed with a fine tooth seamless bone comb

This works best for me!

BillsBackerz67

Having straight hair now, I comb when i remember, usually its every 3 to 4 days. In the summer its a different story dealing with my natural hair texture. Sometimes Id go up to 2x a day to avoid shed hairs clinging to other strands and forming knots and tangles because its so curly. Def not looking forward to that in a few months.

Mari J

I've made a horrible discovery the other day when I attempted to comb my hair when dry with a little conditioner and oil. So much breakage/shedding! :wallbash: So now I am scared to comb it. I think I am going to use my human comb and be very gentle from this point on. What do you ladies think about finger combing?

ladylina

I comb under the shower head to detangle, and when I have my leave ins.
I comb when its dry and straight every 2 days. But in the summer only when its wet, because during the summer it is mostly braidouts and WnG

darlingdiva

When I detangle, I liberally spray my leave-in on my dry hair. Then I apply some oil (right now, I am using the Brahmi-Amla hair oil from Vadik Herbs). Then I finger comb. Then I comb w/ my regular- and smaller-sized seamless combs. I add more leave-in and oil if necessary.

I also comb on wet hair after I wash it. I use my leave-in as needed on wet hair.

Truth

I voted other. I only comb pre-wash, when I detangle on damp hair drenched in conditioner. Every now and then I will do it post..but majority is pre wash. Occasionally i'll finger comb under a stream.

TeeDee66

I voted that I comb - Post wash on towel dried hair with leave-ins. I have very frizzy dry hair. So, I must wet it, then damp dry it, then put a leave in and then smooth it with some hair oil.

I read somewhere that it's normal to loose about 50-100 hairs per day. I try to minimize as much as possible, but if I don't comb it, it will stay in my hair and frizz and knot up. Then I have a complete mess on my hands. I comb daily, but finger comb through out the day for any maintenance. I don't own a small toothed comb but I own 2 large plastic picks that help me out. I comb from the ends going up. Once I cover it, I try not to recomb unless necessary.

werenumber2

Post-shampoo, I finger-comb thoroughly with a slippery conditioner. Then I rinse and do a dc. My hair remains tangle-free when I'm done so there's no need to re-comb after I rinse out my dc and dry my hair. I do this once a week

During the week, I'll detangle my hair with Shescentit Coco Creme and a bit of Afroveda Cocolatte if I'm wearing my hair down. If I'm keeping it in a bun, I generally won't detangle. Now if I'm keeping it in a bun all week, I'll detangle my hair one night in between my wash days.

southerncitygirl

once a week after poo/condish on towel dried hair with leave in. i protective style by doing lg individual plaits while hair is wet with leave-in after detangling, then airdry so i can wear my wig.

Salsarisma

This is what I'm feeling right now. I'm going to try this for my next wash. I tried that no towel drying route for a while and not only did it take forever for my hair to airdry, my hair gets very mad at me when I sleep with it in a wet braidout. :mad:

And lately while rinsing under the shower stream, I find that it takes too long for me to comb and then too much conditioner gets rinsed out for my tastes. I'd like to still have a little protective coating of condish in my hair. :cool:

Also, I'm changing up my hair routine, where I wash with a detachable shower head, with my head hanging over the bath. Then I follow with a deep conditioning. That way there's no jumping in and out of the shower a million times, 'cause that's just not going to happen. :nono:

I've heard that piling your hair on top of your head over a bath tub caused tangles??

LaToya28

I love to comb my hair so I comb before washing to remove any tangles, when conditioning I comb under the running water, and I comb after adding my leave-ins to towel blotted hair. I also comb once or twice during the day....I just can't help it. However, towards the end of my last stretch (25 wks) I only combed on wash days.

mariofmagdal

I comb daily, I do not like tangles. My hair is never dry I always have it moisturized and if it lacks the moisture I need to comb through I add some. I comb prior to washing and I comb under running water when washing out conditioner, I comb for final bun. I take my bun down nightly to moisturize, I baggy whole head, remove baggy and go in the AM.

kiesha8185

oh dear

never comb the hair when dry?
I ONLY COMB MY HAIR WHEN DRY lol oops

i NEVER comb my hair wet!

i comb my hair dry, when it is full of amla oil, oil lubricates the hair to the comb glides through

combing when wet seems too dangerous for me

more tangly and weaker when wet i think.

everyones different though i guess

You took the words right outta my mouth! I only comb my hair when it's dry and moisturized; I'm afraid of putting to much stress on my hair when combing it wet. So I let it airdry.

Now that I think about it, I dont really comb my hair much...only when I want to play with it and take hair pictures :drunk: The low mani style I wear daily doesn't really require combing. I just remove the roller from my ends, smooth my hair with my fingers, put in a claw clip and go.

aurora3140

I voted other because I comb my hair when it's wet or straight (flat-ironed or rollerset).

If I comb my air-dried hair, I'm asking for breakage.

ETA: When I say wet, I'm talking about all of the poll options: under the shower stream, before towel-drying with my leave-ins, and after towel-drying while it's damp.

Last edited:

10WordzOrLess

Yes...I'm a thick haired lady, and I have to admit...I comb dry. I'll usually spritz some water, or use some Alba leave-in, but I don't soak my hair to comb it. I do think It works best to comb my twa in the shower though.

But I GOTTA COMB(until I can find some better way)...Like AdAd24 said...I'll have one chunky dreadlock if I dont.

hair4romheaven

now that I'm 6mth post I only comb 80% dry with leave in. even then I use my fingers to detangle while blow drying on cool setting with hot sock once dry i comb I get no breakage. I do this once a month after having cornrows in for the month.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
only on wash day after i've dc'd and done my final rinse and gotten out of the shower.. this gives me the least amount of hair loss

Daughter

UK Blak
I only comb my hair when it's covered in lots and lots of conditioner. Anything else is asking for trouble IME :(