• Every other week

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Never comb....only use fingers

Votes: 58 12.2%
  • Combing???? What is that????.......

Votes: 16 3.4%

• Total voters

vnaps

i've just seen sylver2's video and she mentioned that she only combs her hair on wash days which she does every two weeks....in the shower with conditioner...the link http://www.youtube.com/sylver2

i should add that her hair is absolutely beautiful......

so how often do you comb your hair???

has combing/not combing often helped retain length???

which size comb/s do you use???

do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often

which style do you use to maintain presentable hair if you dont comb often???

(adding a poll)

SimpleBrooklyn

Don't comb. Shoot, the only time i did while transitioning was the day i washed it.

Now when I wass relaxed...maybe like twice a week.

I had the same style..ponytail/bun.

I'm not fussy with my hair.

Now as a natural....probably the same...when I wash it:)

vnaps

i comb nearly every day!!!with a wide toothed comb....when i put my hair in a ponytail......and will sometimes brush to distribute oils and smooth edges....

and for some CRAZY reason i have been using a finetoothed comb since texlaxing 2 weeks ago .....:nono:

wow didnt realise some people dont do it often....at all!!!

i definately feel i havent retained as much length and have had alot of unnecessary breakage because of excessive combing.....

PGirl

It depends on if I'm wearing my hair roller set or if I airdryed it. If my hair is roller set and flat ironed I will comb about every day to every other day. But if I airdry I don't comb it at all until I wash it which would be about every 3 to 4 days.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I comb almost everyday unless it's up in a bun then I just leave it alone.

I honestly have'nt noticed a difference.
I use a medium sized wide tooth comb.
do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often?
Well I personally do not think it has affected the health of my hair by combing often in a negative way because if I don't comb often, my hair becomes tangled and prone to breakage.

If I don't comb it it's up in a bun.

HTH

Jessofpal

I comb every day. When I am more than a couple of weeks post relaxer I try very hard to not comb down to the root unless there is conditioner in it. my tool is a wide tooth shower comb. I moniter my hair loss and I seem to lose roughly 80-100 strands which is what the human head on average sheds each day.

It occurs to me that one danger is trying to comb down to the scalp when there is new growth. My new motto for the year has become "I can have perfect hair or I can reach APL in 2009. Not both."

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I comb once a week, b/c I wear weekly cornrolls under my LF. When I do its after I apply in leave-in and about to rebraid. I use a very wide tooth comb first and then use a smaller one to get all tangles out before I do the cornroll.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I don't comb...
It really has improved the health of my hair and it helped me achieve more length :yep:
For some hairs it's impossible to go without combing so as with everything else, we need to try it out and see what happens/doesn't happen :)

winnettag

There's not an option for me, lol.
I mostly keep my hair cornrowed for at least 4 weeks at a time and I combed when I took them down.
However, the last time I took them down I tried using Chicoro's detangling method and I wound up not combing at all.....and it worked (I really didn't think it would work on my natural hair, considering my 4b hair type)! So, I might only comb on rare occasions now.

msa

I only comb my hair on wash day as I'm twisting my hair up. I do it just to make sure there aren't any extra tangles and I feel it helps get the product distributed a little better. I use a medium tooth comb...the spaces between the teeth are a little smaller than a wide tooth comb. I usually wash 2 times a week...but I only detangle with the comb one of those days. The water from the shower really helps to get my hair detangled so I can skip the comb if I don't feel like it.

I don't know if it has helped me retain more hair since I also have better hair care practices in general. I do think that I am much more gentle when combing now so I'm sure that makes a huge difference.

I wear my hair in a bantu knot out every day...and I airdry. I'm a 4ab natural.

ETA: Lol...I never comb my hair anymore. I think that may have lasted for a week. I wash and go everyday. I let the shower water detangle my hair and then it goes in a puff.

Last edited:

pri

I comb using a medium wide tooth comb everyday twice a day morning and night right before I moisturize. I guess it is helping me retain length b/c I hardly get any shed hairs. HTH

pri

Btw..if I don't comb the way I do... my hair is a hot mess and then I'll get a lot of shed/broken hairs so combing everyday is a must for me.

Irresistible

I only do full comb throughs once a week most of the time-only because I am lazy, I dont feel it helps with growth or would make a difference for me if I did it more often

Neith

I also only comb my hair on wash days, once a week.

I guess it helps me retain length because I'm not constantly combing and getting shedding/breakage. It's a low manipulation thing.

I use wide toothed combs. I just got a K cutter :)

I fingercomb daily to keep my hair presentable. On wash day my hair is mostly tangle free.

Last edited:

SleepyJean

I comb my hair every two days ... depending how far I am into my 12 week stretch. I finger comb mostly. I finger comb everyday.

Encore

4 weeks or less post relaxer....maybe once a week

after that or when the NG is outta control (ie now)
only in the shower with a ton of cheepie condish and EVOO ( must sit about 30 min before combing tho...my NG is serious i broke 2 wide tooth combs already.)

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
My answers are below in black:

1x every week or two
has not combing often helped retain length???
Yes it has and my hair is thicker because of it
Very wide-tooth comb
N/A
A bun, braid or some other updo and it is always very presentable.

I comb once a week..and that is in the shower on wash days.

since I cut back on the excessive combing, I have much more hair on my head..definitely less shedding..

I use the Jibere shower comb..so I guess that you can call that medium sized

N/A

I put my hair in one single braid right after conditioning and moisturizing and I pin it up for the week until it's time to wash/condition again

Lei*Lei

so how often do you comb your hair??? I comb every day/every other day

has combing/not combing often helped retain length??? My hair tangles if i go 3 days without combing, so combing everyday/other day prevents these tangles. If i go longer and the tangles come i loose more hair trying to comb.

which size comb/s do you use??? I use a wide tooth comb

do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often It hasn't affected my hair in a negative way

Last edited:

so1913

Only comb to detangle during washing with a shower comb. That's about 2 to 3 times a week. Because I wear my hair natural and it's texture, the less combing the better.

jazitones

I just started the "no combing" about 2 months ago and so far so good. They only time I comb is while I'm conditioning my hair. At first I was not for it, because I like the ideal of taking a comb to my scalp, it just feels good. :)

moonglowdiva

so how often do you comb your hair??? Only on wash days
has combing/not combing often helped retain length??? yes

which size comb/s do you use??? i use a detangle comb only.

do you feel combing hasnt affected your hair's health/length if you comb often. i don't comb often.:ohwell:

which style do you use to maintain presentable hair if you dont comb often???i often wear wigs or rollersets or i may just wear it in a scrunchi pulled back.

Last edited:

Angelicus

I honestly do not comb my hair every day (except when I was co-washing daily; I only combed my hair in the shower while it was wet). After I take down my pincurls in the day time, I finger comb them. The only time I comb my hair is during roller setting. Even when I section my hair to wash my hair, I'm not combing it. I rarely comb my dry hair.

If I absolutely have to comb my hair, I use my Jilbere shower comb.