Crown and Glory...

Miz_Complexity

DEN1 Your cornrows look hot. I will be getting my micro braid done jan. 24. I have to post my transititoning pic From last year. I have 100% natural hair. I have been doing mini chops since the summer. I want to grow long natural healthy hair. I am in this challenge.

xippy

Neroli said:
xippy, welcome to the challenge and I really like your "advice from a tree" -- words to live by! I just put my braids in a bun or ponytail and then cover with a scarf OR use satin bonnet with elastic all around . . .

Thanks for the quick response, Neroli. Your neck doesn't bother you when you put the ponytail into the bonnet or scarf? I'm a back sleeper and maybe that's my problem. If I tuck the hair in the bonnet it just creates this lump at the back of my neck, which causes my neck to over-stretch while I sleep. The result is usually sore neck muscles, then a visit to the chiropractor. :(

Also, I'm a 4b and just about stopped taking breaks between my braids too. I just cannot comb my hair! I bought a wig this weekend, thinking I'd wear it for two weeks before braiding. But after my husband said I looked like James Brown, I chickened out and quickly braided my hair. If anyone has advice on how to keep my natural hair moisturized I would appreciate it. I live in Colorado. It is so dry hair that my hair ends up looking like tumbleweed after a washing.

Last edited:

Nanyanika

Miz_Complexity said:
DEN1 Your cornrows look hot. I will be getting my micro braid done jan. 24. I have to post my transititoning pic From last year. I have 100% natural hair. I have been doing mini chops since the summer. I want to grow long natural healthy hair. I am in this challenge.
Thanks girl!!! congrats on becoming natural, how long did you transition for? and i hope to see your pics.

P

patient1

Hi All:

Neroli. . .Thanks so much for the time you take in explaining everything in such detail. I understand your explanation and the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I guess as long as I continue to braid gently it should be fine. I've never worn braids often or for long because of all the thin hairlines I've seen. I teach 8th graders and I see so many gelled down hairlines that are more gel than hair. I mean, the hairline is M.I.A. It's sad really. So far mine looks the same as when I put the braids in. My hair lines is pretty thick except for one area in the very center. That's just heredity and it's not very noticeable except to me.

So honestly, I'm kinda paranoid about my hairline. I've only known one person to wear extensions for a long period without thinning. I'm gonna try it your way, keep the hairline fresh, clean and anchored and see how that works. I monitor my hairline closely, I moisture spray daily, and oil my scalp at least every other day. My hair soaks it up.

Good luck to everyone in this challenge. Could those who are doing raise their hand??? Just curious.

P1

Neroli

patient1 said:
Hi All:

Neroli. . .Thanks so much for the time you take in explaining everything in such detail. I understand your explanation and the more I think about it the more sense it makes. I guess as long as I continue to braid gently it should be fine. I've never worn braids often or for long because of all the thin hairlines I've seen. I teach 8th graders and I see so many gelled down hairlines that are more gel than hair. I mean, the hairline is M.I.A. It's sad really. So far mine looks the same as when I put the braids in. My hair lines is pretty thick except for one area in the very center. That's just heredity and it's not very noticeable except to me.

So honestly, I'm kinda paranoid about my hairline. I've only known one person to wear extensions for a long period without thinning. I'm gonna try it your way, keep the hairline fresh, clean and anchored and see how that works. I monitor my hairline closely, I moisture spray daily, and oil my scalp at least every other day. My hair soaks it up.

Good luck to everyone in this challenge. Could those who are doing raise their hand??? Just curious.

P1

You're welcome P1. Keep us posted . . .

P

patient1

Duh. . .to my last post!

Could those who will be doing their own braids raise their hands? I'm curious as how that will affect the journey.

TIA,
p1

StartinOvah

patient1 said:
Duh. . .to my last post!

Could those who will be doing their own braids raise their hands? I'm curious as how that will affect the journey.

TIA,
p1

i'm going to attempt to do my own braids next weekend. i'm giving myself 3 days (friday thru sunday) in case my arms get tired or they come out looking like crap.

Amina

patient1 said:
Duh. . .to my last post!

TIA,
p1

I am doing my own braids (can't afford the $5-$10 fees braiders on campus charge) I will be using the website located in my siggy.

Suri

I am taking my twists out tonight. They've only been in for 5 weeks and i have redone the front and nape areas and my hair (transitioning) is busting out of the braids, not to mention they look really fuzzy. I am really dying to play with my hair :) and see the growth, because I know it's growing.

I thought I would be able to go for two straight months, but at this rate I may have to redo mine every 5-6 weeks. I am DCing and rebraiding, doing braids & not twists this time. I did the twists myself and hopefully this time around they will last 6 weeks because twists seem a littler harder to maintain.

How long are you guys keeping your braids in? Anybody else find that they can only go a few weeks as opposed to months?

Nanyanika

Suri said:
I am taking my twists out tonight. They've only been in for 5 weeks and i have redone the front and nape areas and my hair (transitioning) is busting out of the braids, not to mention they look really fuzzy. I am really dying to play with my hair :) and see the growth, because I know it's growing.

I thought I would be able to go for two straight months, but at this rate I may have to redo mine every 5-6 weeks. I am DCing and rebraiding, doing braids & not twists this time. I did the twists myself and hopefully this time around they will last 6 weeks because twists seem a littler harder to maintain.

How long are you guys keeping your braids in? Anybody else find that they can only go a few weeks as opposed to months?
I kept my waist-length extensions in for over 2 months, i removed them last saturday and had my hair cornrowed fine. I plan to keep them in for up to three months.

czyfaith77

Suri said:
Yeah, I am wondering the same. My hair is starting to itch a little, but I am unsure of whether it would make a difference if I just didn't wash them. I know Robin mentions washing your hair while braided, but I am afraid they will get very fuzzy and I will have to end up rebraiding (twisting) my hair. Should I even wash with kinky twists??

I wash my braids. I strongly believe that the regular washings assists in maintaining moisture. This along with many of the tips from C&G method is what makes the hair grow. I have seen many women who did not wash their braids and their results after taking them out were just awful.

czyfaith77

beyondcute said:
Try lifeguarding for a summer at any sumemr camp! :lol: The chlorine will kill most bacteria in a swimmign pool but we had a lake... some of the kids wouldnt wash thier hair out and I guess the the algae and mildew started growing and lets just say those girls were SUPA GREEN!

Ewwwww! I gotcha. That just sounds nasty :lol:

hrtbndr21

patient1 said:
Duh. . .to my last post!

TIA,
p1
I will be doing my own braids.

xippy

patient1 said:
Duh. . .to my last post!

TIA,
p1

I did my own braids with extensions this weekend. I did individual braids and it took me 14 hours divided between two days. I'm actually getting faster. I love them because they are not tight, which they usually are after someone else does them. Hopefully, I can get two months wear out of them.:)

beyondcute

Ive done my own. I did my own single extensions. My mom di dmy cornrows and when they started lokign old I took them aloose and re-did them one by one that way I wouldnt have to re-part it. Besides I think other braiders braid too tight...

cece22

I do my own individual braids and my mom does my cornrows with added hair. And now my sister will flat twist and cornrow my natural hair in all the cute styles.

Suri

Just checking in. I took my twists out on Friday and it grew about an inch, I wasn't MTGing like I should have been. I have like 3-4 inches of perm left, my hands were hurting after detangling my hair. I heard so many ppl talk about detangling woes during transition and now I see it's a pain. I maxi-glided and I will be rebraiding this weekend. I am going for 6 weeks this time and a supa MTG challenge with this set.

Suri

Thank you. I have a ? I bought 100% Kakenalon to do twists, this time I would like to braid it. I already bought the same hair, If I want to do long braids it is okay to use this same hair? What other types of hair are good for regular braids?

ayoung

Robin (from growafrohairlong) says that 100% Kanekalon is the best--not to buy synthetic.

I use the Kanekalon and think is is great for the reg. 'box' braids.

Last edited:

Neroli

Suri said:
Thank you. I have a ? I bought 100% Kakenalon to do twists, this time I would like to braid it. I already bought the same hair, If I want to do long braids it is okay to use this same hair? What other types of hair are good for regular braids?

Kankenalon is a synthetic.

My favorite and easiest to use and maintain is "yaki pony" which comes in variety of synthetics (kankenalon, toyokalon, etc.) I know Robin recommends kankenalon, but I've been using "twin pony brand" 100% toyokalon for over 6 years with superior results. I can wash and rebraid this hair over and over again (I used the same hair for almost 8 months the last time!) I also like yaki pony because the ends are slightly curled (and STAY curled, wash after wash) and I don't have to "finish" my braids -- I just braid down the length of my hair and let the "pony" ends hang loose and natural.

IMO, any synthetic works fine, the key is not to braid too tight, not to make braids too small and to wash and rebraid periodically to keep braids clean and moisturized.

HTH!

ayoung

Yep, they all are synthetic--man made, but kanekalon is 'supposed' to be a better type of fiber than just a regular synthetic hair.

The brand of hair I buy has a Kanekalon and a syntheitc and to me, kanekalon is softer and nicer.

Suri, i think your choice will depend on if you want to have your braids 'taper' to a natural looking end, burn them, have the ends curl, if your want a 'shiny' finish to your braids etc..

I'm sure the hair you have will work fine. :)

sithembile

I've had my braids in for 6 weeks, I've started taking them out, I have no tangles, no build up at the base and my hair is soft and moisturised. I love C&G! I'm going to relax my hair, then deep condition weekly for 4 weeks, then put them back in braids for another 6 weeks.

Suri

Neroli said:
Kankenalon is a synthetic.

My favorite and easiest to use and maintain is "yaki pony" which comes in variety of synthetics (kankenalon, toyokalon, etc.) I know Robin recommends kankenalon, but I've been using "twin pony brand" 100% toyokalon for over 6 years with superior results. I can wash and rebraid this hair over and over again (I used the same hair for almost 8 months the last time!) I also like yaki pony because the ends are slightly curled (and STAY curled, wash after wash) and I don't have to "finish" my braids -- I just braid down the length of my hair and let the "pony" ends hang loose and natural.

IMO, any synthetic works fine, the key is not to braid too tight, not to make braids too small and to wash and rebraid periodically to keep braids clean and moisturized.

HTH!

I kind of like the slightly curled look. The twists, I dipped in boiling water came out nice on the ends, but after awhile started to look ratty on the ends. I guess since I already bought the hair, I'll stick with what I have, but next time I'll try the yaki pony kakenalon or tokokalon. Thanks for the responses!

Neroli

Suri said:
I kind of like the slightly curled look. The twists, I dipped in boiling water came out nice on the ends, but after awhile started to look ratty on the ends. I guess since I already bought the hair, I'll stick with what I have, but next time I'll try the yaki pony kakenalon or tokokalon. Thanks for the responses!

Yeah, that yaki pony hair is my secret weapon for "natural" looking ends -- I'm always getting compliments and questions about what kind of hair I use from other braided ladies I see in the grocery stores, malls, etc. and I'm delighted to share that it's "yaki pony" made under various brands. The ends stay nice and slightly curled effortlessly all the time . . .

angellazette

I wish I could do my own twists....:ohwell:

Anyway, that's what my cuz is for!!

Count me in...I've been wearing kinky twists since Nov...I kept the first set in for about 6 weeks...and I am about 2 weeks into my new set. I've also been using MTG and have been seeing consistent growth especially in my nape area in this short period of time.

My last set I washed with a stocking cap on a weekly basis but they were so frizzy. This time I'm using the Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo but I realllllllllly would like to do a condition wash...I just don't want them to get frizzy. Any suggestions?

Neroli

angellazette said:
I wish I could do my own twists....:ohwell:

Anyway, that's what my cuz is for!!

Count me in...I've been wearing kinky twists since Nov...I kept the first set in for about 6 weeks...and I am about 2 weeks into my new set. I've also been using MTG and have been seeing consistent growth especially in my nape area in this short period of time.

My last set I washed with a stocking cap on a weekly basis but they were so frizzy. This time I'm using the Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo but I realllllllllly would like to do a condition wash...I just don't want them to get frizzy. Any suggestions?

I think anytime braids or twists are washed, there will be some frizzies. I always set aside time redo loose frizzy braids after each wash. I have found that the stocking cap doesn't really help me prevent frizzies during wash, just makes the the whole process more difficult without geting my scalp clean - so I just apply 'poo (or condish if CWing) directly to my dry scalp, massage good and then get under the shower to rinse. Then I spray moisturizer and redo loose or frizzy braids.

How was the "dry 'poo"? Did it get your scalp/hair clean?