Crown and Glory...

beyondcute

Weaves, kinky twists or cornrows. But the main part of this method is braids.... If you can stand the other three for 2 months at a time go right ahead :) It may be hard for a 'no-braid' person.... BUT I still think its a good method even if you use braid alternatives.

Well, heck. I really wanted to try this but as an adult the longest I've had braids in is 2 wks.

I liked the look with two big braids she used, I wonder if I could come up with some type of alternative or maybe try working my way up to leaving them in longer, I dunno? :perplexed

Maybe I could do some type of two-strand twist, hmmm?

Maybe I will just force myself to do it and live with it.

Neroli

PREAMBLE:
I use to be a professional braider who is now an attorney. I am from west africa and learned to braid as a child-- don't even remember "learning" but have been doing my own hair for years and used this skill as a source of income during college and law school. I have 4b hair and for years would grow my hair to past shoulder length by keeping it braided for months at a time and then would relax and watch it slowly break off over time (didn't have this board 20 years ago!) and would go back into braids again, relax, watch it break and repeat the cycle until I found this board couple of years ago. I realize since that I was actually following the "crown and glory" method without knowing it by keeping my hair braided for months at a time, not too small, not too tight, and keeping braids clean and moisturized but would relax and totally destroy my long thick relaxed hair within months because I did't know how to care for my relaxed hair. I recently reached brastrap in the last two years, without braids, by using buns and good haircare tips and products taken from this most excellent forum.

WHEREAS:
I have decided to go for waist length using braids and braided by hair last week and intend to keep them in at least one solid year, without breaks.

THEREFORE:
1. use individual/single braids or cornrows that are not too small (micros are out for me)

2. re-braid entire head every 6 to 8 weeks -- I don't take "breaks" just take down, wash, and rebraid immediately without any problems

3. wash my braids every one to two weeks and rebraid the "perimeter" -- this is what Robin recommends -- that after washing braids, take time to redo the front, sides and nape so that braids look fresh and avoids "dreading" in these sensitive areas. I think those who experience hair loss at the hairline would do well to re-braid those areas every couple of weeks or so. I found that the center/crown areas of my hair can go the entire 6 to 8 weeks without re-braids or dreading up. Also, having individuals really helps here because easy to redo the hair all around the perimeter and the braids immediately looks freshly done and camoflages the looser hair in the middle, whereas, cornrows are harder to camaoflage. If you don't do your own braids, work out a deal with your braider to redo those areas for you every couple of weeks and pay her a much smaller fee. I did this for my clients -- would do a full head of individuals for say, $100 to $150 and then charge $15 to $20 or so to redo their perimeter. It works because would only take about an hour or so to redo (using new of same hair) and customer could actually maintain and keep braids longer that way.

4. I use cream of nature moisturizing 'poo. I put the 'poo on my DRY scalp, working and massaging scalp with the poo, avoiding the bradis, until entire scalp if fully massaged. I then get in shower and let the water pressure rinse poo from scalp, allowing poo to run down the lenght of braids, squeezing and smoothing the poo out gently in a downward motion to avoid "fuzzing" up the braids. There will always be a bit of "fuzz" after washing, no way to avoid. Once all the poo is rinsed out, I immediately towel dry by squeezing braids, again, working in a downward motion in direction of the braids. Then I spray on moisturizer (1/2 distilled water and 1/2 luster's right on curl activator), followed by oils of choice, right now I'm using couple of drops of castor mixed with couple of drops of ylang ylang (my hair smells HEAVENLY!) and do my best to smooth hair down with hands first, then wrap as tight as possble with a silk scarf. In about an hour, my hair is "flat" enough to go out and party if necessary. Usually, I just leave scarf on and go to bed and then redo my perimeter the next day or evening. Thus, I break up the time spent by washing and tying down on the first day and re-doing braids the next day. The redo usually takes me about and hour and a half in one sitting. Sometimes, I redo most of my hair at the office, yes, easy to close door and just undo one single braid and redo while sitting at desk, piece of cake, especially when sitting in on those looooong conference calls with instructions not to be disturbed . . .

5. I use synthetic hair -- human hair simply doesn't last long, slips out more easily because its so soft and is impossible to work with once washed because it tangles too much for me. I simply get better, more lovely, longer lasting results with synthetics because it has a good "hold" onto my hair and doesn't slide out, is easily washed and re-used, and maintians its "shape" in a way human hair does not. I use the "yaki hair" hair, which is curled at the ends so that I don't have to "finished" the ends of each braid, just braid to the lenght of my hair and let the rest hang in a lovely, natural curl (this "curled" look will survive numerous washings and can be re-used over and over again!). My favorite brand is "Twin Pony Braid" which is 100% toyokalon. I use a vinegar/ACV rinse that I spray onto the hair a few hours before using. I don't do the full Robin treatment which is complete immersion of the braids in ACV solution, but think the light spraying of ACV just before adding to my hair is probaly adequate to "acidify" the braids.

6. If using human hair, be prepared for a lot more hassles. Period. I know this from years of first hand experience putting them in for others. I have NEVER used human hair for briads on my own hair, it just ain't worth it, IMO. I'm not saying don't use, just be prepared that its harder to work with, especially if you don't do your own braids AND you want to keep them in a while.

7. If using micros, be pepared for a lot more damage when taking down. Period. Again, I know this from years of first hand experience putting them in for others. I have NEVER put micros in my own hair, it just ain't worth it, IMO. I'm not saying don't use it, just be prepared for more damage and spending more money cause it will cost more to put in and it's highly recommended that you pay a professional to take down to reduce damage.

8. I spray and oil my braids every other day or so and thats it. I have started doing something new this time around that I never thought to do before and that is, when I'm just hanging around at home, I put spray, oil and put on a plastic cap for as along as I can. I don't know the effects, but after years on this board, it's my version of the braids baggie method.

CONCLUSION:
I hope this helps and expands a bit on the crown and glory method. And I'm definitely in on the challenge. Waist length hair, be forthcoming, forthwith . . .

ayoung

Neroli,

Thanks for breaking down your braid routine. Very informative.

I may stop being lazy and do the front of my hair over now...:)

Last edited:

Trini"T"

If you can stand the other three for 2 months at a time go right ahead
BeyondCute, I was thinking of getting the kinky twist. Are you saying that it may not last for two months?

hrtbndr21

I'm in, I've been in braids since mid June following some of the CAG tips. I plan to wear braids until June and then evaluate my progress. I didn't initially plan on transitioning with braids but my new growth got me curious about what was "under there" we'll see how far I get. :)

Right now my regimine is pretty simple:
I learned to braid my hair getting better with each set, stylist are not dependable in my area. :(
I wear my braids about 8 weeks take a week off to rest then re-apply. Once my hair is long enough to have a decent pony tail I may to go to 2 weeks but for now the tension of trying to scrape together a ponytail is more damageing than the braids.
Wash 1xweek with Creme of Nature Shampoo
-I dilute the shampoo in a cup and then use a sponge to distribute it throughout
-I dilute Creme of Nature conditioner and pour that over my head sometimes I apply it directly to my scalp and braids. I leave it on for a few minutes then rinse.

After towel drying I spray a mixture of bottled water, Aphogee Leave in treatment, Infusium and some discontinued Dark and Lovely Leave in that I love too bad they don't make it anymore. I also spray some African Pride Braid spray on the braids especially the ends to preven matting.

I oil my scalp and temples with ORS Carrot Oil and then blow dry for a few minutes to distribute the oils on my scalp.

During the week I oil my scalp when needed, spray on more of the conditioner/water mixture to moisturize and use Surge 14 on my scalp when I remember.

I saw quite a bit of growth with Surge on my last set of braids but I had a lot of tangles/dreading near the front :mad: I had do cut some out luckily it was mostly the relaxed ends.

Goodluck everybody I know we can do this!!!!

Lovelylocs

I'm in, but not for 2 years unless this year works really well. It is funny b/c I was gonna make a post about this. I want to wear my hair in a french braid or a single braid instead of the individual braids though. I want the braid to be all the way down my back, either mid-back or waistlength. I want it to look like it is my hair. The "tribal" man thread inspired me. If he can get about 10 inches a year, then why can't I? lol... I know. Genes. It is still worth a try tho. lol

auntybe

I'm in but I will use a full head sew in weave and the alternate with an instant weave on top of small cornrows. Two years!!! Wow now I've got to be consistant......here we go!....I am getting my sew in on Jan.7th....no relaxer until March 17th....I've got some over processed patches to take care of.

Auntybe

Tene

I'm in I already have been getting cornrows on and off. But I won't be getting anymore until I get some money which will hopefully be soon.

ayoung

UPDATE:

Ok--well--I just took my first set of braids out. I had them almost 3 weeks (19 days) and I will put more in tomorrow.

This go 'round I won't wash every week--that is just too much manipulation, even with the wave cap on---they looked to worn for my taste. So this time, I will wash every 2 weeks and do the braids along the 'main part' in my head smaller--- and maybe I can get 4-6 weeks out of them.

I basically received 3/4 inch from this set of braids. Pretty good--can't wait to see what I will have come June!:)

HHG ladies!

P

patient1

Hi All:

I did my first wash yesterday. I used diluted J/A/S/O/N essential fatty acid shampoo. Rinsed well with my filtered showerhead. I went ahead and took out any really loose braids. I sprayed my hair with my moisture mix and oiled my scalp with my oil mix (wgo, root penetrating oil, and coconut oil). I put my braids into a bun (my everyday style) using chopsticks and let it air dry.

Today I flat ironed the braidless sections using my oil mix and replaced the braids.

It's been about 2 or 3 weeks (I forget my start date) and my edges look fabulous. I spray and oil almost daily. I spray with infusium 23 when I think about it. Every few days. I wear the bun because it's neat, stylish and easy on my edges due to the chopsticks. The only additional thing I do is to put a a sulfur paste that's made for the skin onto my edges. It's an almost odorless way to take advantage of sulfur.

p1

Suri

ayoung1981 said:
Also, are all of you going to be washing your hair while in braids?

Yeah, I am wondering the same. My hair is starting to itch a little, but I am unsure of whether it would make a difference if I just didn't wash them. I know Robin mentions washing your hair while braided, but I am afraid they will get very fuzzy and I will have to end up rebraiding (twisting) my hair. Should I even wash with kinky twists??

Nanyanika

My braids are looking very scruffy and my newgrowth is bushy napps, i need to takes these out quick, i'm going to get cornrows so i can do more conditioning my hair is getting drier too.

Suri

Den I like the size of your braids. I might go for a bigger size next time around.

I just rebraided the crown yesterday, basically the back row and thefront row, not even the whole second row and they do look like new. I wish I would have read Neroli's post about washing. I will wait another 3 weeks or so until they need another touch up, wash and rebraid the crown again. Feb 16 will be two months for me.

For the next set: I am thinking braids intead of twists, a little bigger with the brick parting style. I am really having fun with this challenge.

Thanks again beyondcute! - and yes I am going to braid them myself, it's a minor sacrifice for a lot of savings

rai

I'm about to wash my hair!! How is everyone washing their braids? I'm going to use Neroli's wash method and the Crown and Glory website moisturizing method (using a sponge). I'll update in a couple of hours. Wish me luck and minimal fuzz. :)

ayoung

Tying them down w/ a satin scarf after washing and moisturizing cut down alot of the fuzz for me....

beyondcute

I do wash my hair with braids but Im not too rough with them. Also if you have individual braids the website says to redo the outer edges every 2 weeks to cut down on buildup. I have cornrows but I dont mind them getting frizzy. I got them done on the 5th. Posting pics once my computer starts functioing properly again...

rai

So I washed my hair!!! It went well. I used Brilliant Shampoo from Aveda (I'm trying to finish it up). I basically placed it in my scalp section by section and massaged ( I tried diluting the shampoo in one section with water, but it actually was easier to wash by using Neroli's technique of just putting shampoo on dry scalp). Then I moisturized my hair with African Pride and Infusium23 with a sponge (a little goes a long way when you have that sponge). Then I sprayed some Better Braids oil in my scalp. I have a bottle of surge, so I'm gonna start surging tomorrow.

How often is everyone moisturizing their braids? I'm going to do it daily, but I'm going to spray moisturize instead of sponging. I'm only going to sponge on wash days because it takes a little more time.

Uggh, it's been 4 hours since I washed my hair and I'm still waiting for it to dry. Neroli thanks so much for your wash regime!

ayoung

Glad everything worked out!
I am moisturizing my hair everyday as well.

I hate wet braids---I blowdry the extentions--from where my hair ends to the end of the braids.

rai

ayoung1981 said:
Glad everything worked out!
I am moisturizing my hair everyday as well.

I hate wet braids---I blowdry the extentions--from where my hair ends to the end of the braids.

Thanks for the advice. I just used a blow dryer on the ends of the braids. I'm such an idiot! I should have thought of that. I guess the no-heat mantra really got to me. Now I don't have to deal with damp ends even though my scalp and the rest of the braids are still damp. Thanks again for the advice. :grin:

Neroli

Wet braids are a bummer -- my solution is to put braids in a bun and tie down with a silk scarf -- it gets the wet braids out of my way, helps keep the fuzzies flat and the ends dry nicely curled/waved. If going to sleep, I put a plastic cap over the scraf and yet another big satin bonnet over the plastic and that keeps pillows dry while I sleep.

I never use heat to dry braids, but those blowdrying, don't forget to use a good heat protectant just as you would without the braids . . . HTH

justgottomakeit

:D I would love to join!! Saddly saying i just relaxed my hair after five months of going natural. Mainly because i could'nt find any styles that i could do and they actually turned out nice looking. So i used pony tails and a loaded gun :cool: until i just couldnt take it anymore. But the beautican said i had 4 to 5 inches of new growth!! She even beged me to wait for her natural hair care stylist to come in but i disagree. Afterwards i felt a little foolish, but i have learned reget is a shorter word stress. The only thing is my hair has allways been thin on the sides and in the center. I have heard it is because of braids, ponytails, and sleeping without a scarf. If yall can help me thickin these spots to make it through the crown and glory i would love to be on the challenge.

P.S ill post a picture tommorrow of my now relaxed hair:look:

Nanyanika

Suri said:
Den I like the size of your braids. I might go for a bigger size next time around.

I just rebraided the crown yesterday, basically the back row and thefront row, not even the whole second row and they do look like new. I wish I would have read Neroli's post about washing. I will wait another 3 weeks or so until they need another touch up, wash and rebraid the crown again. Feb 16 will be two months for me.

For the next set: I am thinking braids intead of twists, a little bigger with the brick parting style. I am really having fun with this challenge.

Thanks again beyondcute! - and yes I am going to braid them myself, it's a minor sacrifice for a lot of savings
Thanks Suri

czyfaith77

beyondcute said:
Okay Im back :) The basic thing is to moisturize your hair while in braids/weaves/cornrows/micros/kinky twists. She says infusium leaven in is great for the hair. But you can use almost any braid spray...

I use Infusium 23 along with the braid spray (whatever braid spray of you choice.) I did this a majority of last year and had great results. I use Infusium 23 Leave-in Moisturising Formula and African Pride Braid Spray with Peppermint Oil ( I liked this one because of the peppermint oil. I guess if you can't find it you could always add your own if you want. It gave a nice tingly feel.) And to wash I use Creme of Nature Moisturising Shampoo (Green and Yellow bottle) but, that is also of personal choice. I am quite lazy at doing my pencil-sized, waist length braids (I do them myself). So after the first ones, I alternate the sections that I redo (complete shampoo and re-braid). This way I don't sit for hours at a time doing my braids in one sitting. It works well, I don't have alot of build-up and I still get great growth. It may be different for some folk but I just go straight through with no relaxer and no "breathers". My hair comes out soft, strong, thick, and longer. No breakage and no abnormal shedding. I have braids in now and I will go with you on this journey. It will hold me accountable ;) . Thanks for initiating the thread.

czyfaith77

Neroli said:
Wet braids are a bummer -- my solution is to put braids in a bun and tie down with a silk scarf -- it gets the wet braids out of my way, helps keep the fuzzies flat and the ends dry nicely curled/waved. If going to sleep, I put a plastic cap over the scraf and yet another big satin bonnet over the plastic and that keeps pillows dry while I sleep.

I never use heat to dry braids, but those blowdrying, don't forget to use a good heat protectant just as you would without the braids . . . HTH

I tie my braids down too and let them dry. I found that it eliminates frizzy roots as well. I have been trying to tell that to this Nigerian lady I know. She wears her braids for like 2-3 months at a time and does not wash her hair and wonders why her hair is breaking off every time she takes them out. I told her she needs to wash her braids and she is like they get all frizzy at the roots and will lift and I look at her like "And mine won't?"

Washing makes a big difference in the outcome of braids because of teh moisture but the people I know that wear braids will not wash their braids! When I ask them they look at me like I am crazy. I have always washed my braids. I can not imagine wearing my hair any way without washing it. I did her hair last week (not that it was dirty but it was extremely dry) I asked her when did she last wash her hair she was like over three weeks ago. I was like :eek: . I thought I would fall on the floor. She said this to a frequent conditioner washer y'all. I know everybody is different but THREE WEEKS y'all....(yeah I am southern that is where the y'all keep coming from -and I love it :) )

czyfaith77

beyondcute said:
Weaves, kinky twists or cornrows. But the main part of this method is braids.... If you can stand the other three for 2 months at a time go right ahead :) It may be hard for a 'no-braid' person.... BUT I still think its a good method even if you use braid alternatives.

You can use this method without the braids but, I would imagine it is much easier with a low manipulation hair style such as braids, cornrows, sew-in weaves, etc. I have used the method with both sew-in and braids. She even have a method for caring for your hair if you are into wigs. Again, the main key is little to no manipulation. hth