Crown and Glory...

meia said:
hehehe girl!! this is just the beginning of my goals! i want to go all natural and have mid back, fountains of curls! i desperately needed a transitioning style before i lose it and cut off all my hair..i think we can make it!!!

i think were going to have such smooth, long luscious hair! im aiming for 4+ inches (absolute ultimate goal would be 8) so i can get back to my old goals following this terrible cut someone performed..lol..were gonna get through this!!!:grin: :grin:

I feel you on the 4 inches. 4 or a tad more would put me at bra strap. I would definitely take the more though :grin: .

lolla2005 said:
So you think it is not necessary to take protein shakes if you are not vegetarian, right?

I think it is good in moderation. I actually like and prefer soy protein. Now as a woman, who have not benefitted from that? There are so many benefits of soy protein. That is why I began to take it.:) Some do take whey though. It just depends on the individual..

czyfaith77 said:
I think it is good in moderation. I actually like and prefer soy protein. Now as a woman, who have not benefitted from that? There are so many benefits of soy protein. That is why I began to take it.:) Some do take whey though. It just depends on the individual..

how much do u take of it?

brandy said:
Count me in too! I had my last braids removed on the 30th of December so I am in my resting period. The C&G really works check me out on the growafrohairlong website "Susan's growth".

Okay I just saw your pic. Nice growth. I have braids in now and they are exactly like yours. :)

Yeah soy protien is way more than just protien. Soy is very healthy! Plenty of antioxidants and good stuf :) I use a tablespoon in my smoothie. The canister recommends 2 tablespoons but thats for vegans without any other source of protien. I get other protien during the day so I dont only use half the recommended amount (1/2 of 2 tablespoons = 1 tablespoon) If youre getting enough protien then ignore the soy protien and focus on soy. Soymilk is a great way to benefit from soy without overdosisng on the protien *remember everything in moderation*

Im not a fan of wet braids either. I dont mind the water but if not towel dried and cleaned properly braids CAN mildew (trust me Ive seen it). Also they can be very heavy when wet and pull your hair out. I wont do waist length braids again for that reason. More hair more weight and more pressure on my roots. Also I sat on them alot :lol: having your neck unexpectantly snapped will make you regret long braids. Thats how I knew wasit length hair wasnt for me either.

brandy said:
Hi lolla2005,

Thanks for your comments.
My hair regimen out of braids is simple. I wash and deep condition weekly. Put my hair in a pony during the day and at night put it in two fat braids and put a satin cap over it. Wait a couple of weeks before I put in another set of braids. I do not use heat.
I do not take vitamins instead I try to eat healthly (juicing fruits+vegetables).

Are you relaxed or natural?

Juicing is high on my priority list for this year. Not only for my hair but, my overall health. I have a few pounds to lose and I have seen this help others.

beyondcute said:
Yeah soy protien is way more than just protien. Soy is very healthy! Plenty of antioxidants and good stuf :) I use a tablespoon in my smoothie. The canister recommends 2 tablespoons but thats for vegans without any other source of protien. I get other protien during the day so I dont only use half the recommended amount (1/2 of 2 tablespoons = 1 tablespoon) If youre getting enough protien then ignore the soy protien and focus on soy. Soymilk is a great way to benefit from soy without overdosisng on the protien *remember everything in moderation*

Im not a fan of wet braids either. I dont mind the water but if not towel dried and cleaned properly braids CAN mildew (trust me Ive seen it). Also they can be very heavy when wet and pull your hair out. I wont do waist length braids again for that reason. More hair more weight and more pressure on my roots. Also I sat on them alot :lol: having your neck unexpectantly snapped will make you regret long braids. Thats how I knew wasit length hair wasnt for me either.

You had me rolling with the sitting on the braids bit :lachen: . I have to say that hasn't happened to me. As far as "just taking the soy" , uhmmm, any soy or soy product that you take will have the soy protein in, including soy milk, tofu, etc.

And all I can say is eewwwwwwwwww about the mildew braids! Never seen it and trying to figure out how it happens. I always find that the synthetic hair dries fastest and I can usually absorb most of the water in my natural hair with a towel. It is usually dry in about an hour or hour and a half.

lolla2005 said:
how much do u take of it?

I purchase mine from Wal-Mart in the vitamin aisle. The container says one scoop to I think 8 oz of liquid. The liquid could be water or milk. It comes in vanilla and chocolate. I hate it in water and milk doesn't agree with me, so I put it in Silk Very Vanilla Soy Milk (which is like an addition 8 grams of soy I think) All in all I think I end up with 20 gms which I only drink in the morning. Mix it with ice and it tastes like a good milk shake. Sometimes if I am in one of my cravings I will put a teaspoon of peanut butter in it and blend. When I do that it tastes like Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.:lol: I know go figure for me to figure something out like that. Me and my concoctions...

Try lifeguarding for a summer at any sumemr camp! :lol: The chlorine will kill most bacteria in a swimmign pool but we had a lake... some of the kids wouldnt wash thier hair out and I guess the the algae and mildew started growing and lets just say those girls were SUPA GREEN!

czyfaith77 said:
I purchase mine from Wal-Mart in the vitamin aisle. The container says one scoop to I think 8 oz of liquid. The liquid could be water or milk. It comes in vanilla and chocolate. I hate it in water and milk doesn't agree with me, so I put it in Silk Very Vanilla Soy Milk (which is like an addition 8 grams of soy I think) All in all I think I end up with 20 gms which I only drink in the morning. Mix it with ice and it tastes like a good milk shake. Sometimes if I am in one of my cravings I will put a teaspoon of peanut butter in it and blend. When I do that it tastes like Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.:lol: I know go figure for me to figure something out like that. Me and my concoctions...

ITA!!! I hate that stuff in water! I mix mines in with oj and fresh fruit and I get a really nice smoothie. I never tried peanut butter though... Hmm....

czyfaith77 said:

:lachen: I like these concoctions.. I'll need to give it try! just have to take it in moderation right?!!! thanks for the input :grin:

lolla2005 said:
:lachen: I like these concoctions.. I'll need to give it try! just have to take it in moderation right?!!! thanks for the input :grin:

Hey we have similiar goals. I should be arm pit by early spring and I am looking at bra strap by the end of the year. Next year, waist...

MissJ said:
Neroli, when you do braids without loose ends, how do you seal the ends?

I don't really "seal" my own braids at all because I wash and rebraid every couple of weeks so no need. The thing is, if you know how to do your own hair it is VERY easy to keep neat and fresh because you can redo any fuzzy loose braids anytime. If you don't know how to braid, then you need your braider to "seal" the ends OR make a deal with her to redo loose fuzzy braids every couple of weeks. My deal with clients was that they wash their own braids at home and then stop by that same day or the next and I would fix it up for them for about $20.

straight synthetic hair: best way I like to seal is by putting the ends in hot (boiling) water and then cut to style and lenght. You cannot use the same hair, but must cut and completely remove the old hair and add fresh hair when rebraiding. After washing, I remove specific loose or fuzzy braids and then rebraid and reseal with hot water and cut to length. A lot of folks like to burn the ends with a lighter and while this works fine, it makes the ends very hard and unnatural looking, whereas the hot water serves same purpose by "melting" the synthetic hair together without leaving it super hard.

yaki pony synthetic: **** my absolute favorite hair to braid with*** I don't seal at all, just braid down to the length of my hair, and let the loosely curled ends fall naturally and looks great until I wash, then I take time to redo any fuzzy or loose braids as well as redo the front row and my nape. If I braid for someone who cannot self maintain, I "seal" by tightly tying a knot right where the real hair ends and let the yaki pony curl fall loosely and naturall looking. This keeps the hair in place even after a wash, but is not ideal because it will fuzzy and looser with each wash, not to mention losing its fresh look.

human hair: I try NOT to use human hair cause way too much trouble and time and no real way to "seal" without damaging the hair, so I would make braids very thin all the way down and loose and hope for the best OR knot beads at the ends. Most ladies don't want beads.

HTH

Hey Ladies,

Well, Valentine's Day is my day for removal. I'm trying to hold on as I'm at the halfway mark. BUT, I really want to take these braids out and play with my own hair. Believe it or not, it's grown a lot in this first month. I thought that my braids were just sliding. Today I realized that every braid on your head can't loosen up. I've gotten a lot of growth. (Maybe I need to give the Nioxin vitamins a second chance.....?)

Anyway, anyone else getting itchy to remove the braids. I don't know whether I'm gonna take a rest or follow Neroli's lead and just put them right back end. Take em out Friday evening and replace them on Sunday? I think I'll wash tomorrow just to feel like I'm doing something. I love the convenience of braids but I'm addicted to playing in my afro and I'm going through serious withdrawal.

p1

patient1 said:
Hey Ladies,

Well, Valentine's Day is my day for removal. I'm trying to hold on as I'm at the halfway mark. BUT, I really want to take these braids out and play with my own hair. Believe it or not, it's grown a lot in this first month. I thought that my braids were just sliding. Today I realized that every braid on your head can't loosen up. I've gotten a lot of growth. (Maybe I need to give the Nioxin vitamins a second chance.....?)

Anyway, anyone else getting itchy to remove the braids. I don't know whether I'm gonna take a rest or follow Neroli's lead and just put them right back end. Take em out Friday evening and replace them on Sunday? I think I'll wash tomorrow just to feel like I'm doing something. I love the convenience of braids but I'm addicted to playing in my afro and I'm going through serious withdrawal.

p1

Hey P1, great to hear about your fast growth! I know I get unbelievable growth with braids, and quite frankly, the reason I don't "rest" is 'cause I'm too lazy -- I would actually have to "do" my hair somehow if I didn't keep rebraiding and that's just too much work, especially with the two textures and new growth and all that, it's just easier to put the braids back and not mess around -- my hair is 4b, very very thick, very very tightly coiled so trying to work two textures is a serious endeavor for me and is fraught with potential breakage. I actually re-do my entire hair in phazes, as Czyfaith77 mentions elsewhere in this thread, by redoing alternate sections with each wash. I never really totally take-down the entire braids (waaay too much work, especially when doing myself!) so that what ends up happening is that my hair remains fully braids the entire time -- I went two years straight when I was in law school -- the first time I realized I could grow my hair beyond shoulders!

Anyway, what I do is wash my fully braided hair and then redo by removing and redoing each braid, one by one in a particular section. I find that I only have to redo entire sections every couple of months so it works out roughly that I can get away with redoing only the perimeter for about 6 washes and then by the 7th wash, I redo the entire front and back (or if I'm really lazy, I redo only the front and then redo the back on my next wash 'cause its easy to hide those loose braids in the back . . . )

So its really easy to just keep it braided if you never completely remove all the braids, just wash and rebraid as much as you can each wash and rotate sections from wash to wash and braids look awesome all the time without all the work and hazzles of a complete takedown. . .

HTH

czyfaith77 said:
Hey we have similiar goals. I should be arm pit by early spring and I am looking at bra strap by the end of the year. Next year, waist...

Actually, I just noticed that we have the same hair type and use pretty much the same products, like LeKair con, infusium and vitale relaxer!! :p

How do you find the vitale relaxer? I use the sensitive no-lye formula and I think I'll try something else the next time I'll relax..

Count me in
I plan to keep my hair cornrowed and wear wigs
I want to transition again
at least 18 months

Thanks Neroli!

I'm gonna try it your way. I used synthetic hair and sometimes I'll unplait a few loose braids and then put the same hair in. I'm gonna go ahead and redo my hair in sections and see how long I can hold out. My only concern is that my edges are strong but for now they're doing great. I use hairsticks to put my hair in a bun (loosely) and pretty much never wear them down unless I"m in the home. Firstly, because it feels to much like frontin as if it's mine. . .lol and secondly, I think it puts too much stress on my roots.

The only other issue is that I don't want to flat iron my hair again. I did it for the first time in YEARS in order to put the braids in a bit easier and to have a uniform look. But I spritz daily with a water based moisturizer and oil my scalp. My hair is natural so the ends peek through. I'm experimenting with ways of braiding that loop the synthetic hair around the exposed ends. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

So for now the plan is to cut out the braids in small sections after washes, condition, and redo that section. Maybe a section each weekend.

p1

patient1 said:
Thanks Neroli!

I'm gonna try it your way. I used synthetic hair and sometimes I'll unplait a few loose braids and then put the same hair in. I'm gonna go ahead and redo my hair in sections and see how long I can hold out. My only concern is that my edges are strong but for now they're doing great. I use hairsticks to put my hair in a bun (loosely) and pretty much never wear them down unless I"m in the home. Firstly, because it feels to much like frontin as if it's mine. . .lol and secondly, I think it puts too much stress on my roots.

The only other issue is that I don't want to flat iron my hair again. I did it for the first time in YEARS in order to put the braids in a bit easier and to have a uniform look. But I spritz daily with a water based moisturizer and oil my scalp. My hair is natural so the ends peek through. I'm experimenting with ways of braiding that loop the synthetic hair around the exposed ends. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

So for now the plan is to cut out the braids in small sections after washes, condition, and redo that section. Maybe a section each weekend.

p1

You're welcome p1. Let me know how redoing alternate sections works you. Remember, don't remove the entire section at once, just remove and redo ONE BRAID AT A TIME. I hope I'm making sense, that I don't undo an entire section, I just undo one braid, comb thru, redo and move on to the next braid. If you redo this way (the very lazy way) you eliminate the need for flat ironing (or blow drying) 'cause you're only dealing with that one single braid which is a tiny section being loose until rebraiding and moving on to the next braid. I just undo a braid, comb that section of my hair thru with a rat tail comb and immediately rebraid the one braid and go to next one -- No need to "manage" new growth. It's only when I undo all the braids in a section or my entire head and my hair is loose all over and the new growth is out in its full magnificence that I need to work it. Handling the braids one by one takes care of that. And of course that means no heat and minimal manipulation for months and months which is why, IMO, my hair grows of the hook when I "go into braids." Once you start doing it one by one, section by section, you'll see what I mean. Please let me know that you understand NOT to undo an entire section, just undo one braid at a time and redo so that you don't have to part or mange large sections of unbraded hair, just one braid at a time. Also, if I get tired, this way, I just stop anytime and pick up next day or so and takes the time pressure off getting it "done" . . .

Regarding your hair peaking thru, if its really bad, they may just be split ends that will have to go anyway. I find that my hair is not so bad when I smooth down with my sprizer and tie down with silk scarf. "Looping" the ends my work, but IMO, it always looks unnatural (more unnatural then the ends peeking thru), takes more time putting in AND if you're going to wash, there's potential for tangles at the ends, so be careful when doing this. I use to do the 'loops' for ladies who are NOT planning on washing their hair for months (totally gross, but to each her own!)

Regarding fragile edges, just redo them more often, I just redid my temples and nape tonight, about four braids in front near my ears and about six at my nape, even though I'm not planning on washing until saturday -- you don't HAVE to wait until wash day to spruce up and tighten up -- I have an important meeting on wednesday and I want to look extra extra, so I redid a few braids so that my bun looks immaculate on wednesday. I just redid them while watching TV and doing laundry -- took about an hour and now my hair looks fresh. I just redo any "problem" areas any time and as often as needed, wash day or not . . . HTH

Hi Neroli,

That makes sense!! I'm gonna attempt it that way. What I did before (at my first wash) was to remove all of the braids in a section and redo them. I've also redone the braids in the very front a few times. I've also done individual braids that felt loose.

I'm understanding from your post just to focus on individual braids WITHIN a section or area...as opposed to undoing and rebraiding an entire section. Sounds good.

Also, about the ends peeking out. I don't think I have split ends. I just find that about a centimeter or two of the ends come out. My hair is natural from root to tip so I think it's the curl factor. When I flatironed it the ends just melded in. However, after washing my natural curls exert their power and over time find their way out of the braid. I'll admit, I'm not braiding super duper tight. But only because the health of my natural hair is more important than the look of the braid. Basically, I have tiny puffs on several braids where my natural length ends. It's not that big a deal and when I rebraid its controlled for a bit.

My question for you is how does frequent rebraiding of the hairline lead to less damage? I've always been scared that rebraiding would put more stress on the more fragile areas and that one was better off rebraiding them as little as possible. School me on that subject please! lol.

Again, thanks for all of your help. I might just go for it and try keeping this in until the end of the school year. A lot of the other teachers wear braided hairstyles constantly. It definitely gives me a lot more time. I've only had extensions a few times in my life, but I've always fallen in love with the convenience. Don't get me wrong, I love doing two strand twists, coils, braids, etc. on my natural hair, not to mention just rocking my fro. However, at my hairs current length I was doing comb coils and finding that they were getting unkempt to early. With braids there's not much to do but oil and spritz and throw in a hair stick.

As long as my hair line won't thin out I'll TRY to hang in there a lot longer.

Thanks for all your feedback.

P1

Hey P1:

Regarding frequent rebraiding the edges to avoid damage, IMO, these areas (temples, hairline, nape) are very sensitive and get the most exposure and manipulation and thus more susceptible to buildup than other less exposed braids. My experience with my hair as well as others is that more frequent rebraiding removes buildup, actuall relieves stress and prevents breakage at the hairline. Frequent rebraiding actually "anchors" the extensions to the scalp and prevents the "drag" that occurs at the hairline with new growth, washing, and just normal wear and tear on the braids. That drag will cause the hair to break much faster than if the hairline is "re-anchored" periodically. I hope this makes sense.

See, if I don't rebraid my hairline at least every couple of weeks, it becomes very loose -- much looser than the other braids and will be a few centimeters to an inch from my scalp -- and every time I manipulate my braids, whether to moisturize, put in a bun, roll or just wear down, that causes tremendous stress to the hairline because the extensions no longer "anchored" to my scalp but rather hangs loose with a gap between scalp and extensions -- add to that gap the stress of manipulation of any sort and breakage will occur precisely at the point where the extension is added - which could be a few centimeters to an inch or more if braids have been in a while.

I think some folks experience thinning at the hairline because the braids around the hairline are left in for weeks and weeks or even months without redoing and the hair gets very weak right where the extensions are pulling and draging and when it's time to take down, the real hair comes right out with the extensions. I have taken down clients hair where their hair has grown tremendously but the hairline disappears when the braids are taken down because they wore the braids for two, three even four months without redoing the hairline (sometime without ever washing, so you have this unbelievable buildup, plus the drag and the hairline has no hope under those conditions).

Boy, I hope I'm explaining in a way that makes sense.

I'd like to join this challenge. I've been following the C&G since Jan. 2005 and transitioning since March. I will probably continue this for another year.

I just braided my hair last night in single braids. Did it myself (glad that's over!). I'll try to keep them for 3 months. We'll see!

One question:
These braids are collar-bone length. I cover with a scarf at night, but the ends are not covered. How do you wrap and protect the ends at night, and still sleep comfortably? I use to bunch my hair up in the scarf, but after getting bad neck pain, I stopped that. Now I let it hang out and notice the ends look worn before I'm ready to take the braids out.

xippy said:
I'd like to join this challenge. I've been following the C&G since Jan. 2005 and transitioning since March. I will probably continue this for another year.

I just braided my hair last night in single braids. Did it myself (glad that's over!). I'll try to keep them for 3 months. We'll see!

One question:
These braids are collar-bone length. I cover with a scarf at night, but the ends are not covered. How do you wrap and protect the ends at night, and still sleep comfortably? I use to bunch my hair up in the scarf, but after getting bad neck pain, I stopped that. Now I let it hang out and notice the ends look worn before I'm ready to take the braids out.

xippy, welcome to the challenge and I really like your "advice from a tree" -- words to live by! I just put my braids in a bun or ponytail and then cover with a scarf OR use satin bonnet with elastic all around . . .

Back