Castor Oil - What are the benefits?

gennatay

I've been reading a lot on using Castor Oil for growth, but what exactly does this oil do that others dont. I have some thats just sitting around and want to try some in a mix.

FRESHstart101

I thought castor oil for for thickness ... hmm ?
Well I use it. I mix it with my care free curl gold
Or S-Curl and spray it to moisturize and seal =)
I don't know about growth or thickness but my
Hair comes out reallllllll soft

Americka

Benefits of Castor Oil

• Castor oil contains Omega-9 fatty acids which help moisturize the hair and the scalp preventing both from becoming dry.

• Does castor oil help hair grow? It sure does. Regularly applying castor oil to your scalp and roots to eliminate dry hair and promote regrowth of hair within months. It will also help to thicken hair that is thinning out.

• Helps reduce and prevent damage. Also can hide the appearance of damage while trying to improve your hair's health leading to thicker, fuller hair over time.

• You can also experiment with adding some castor oil to your conditioners for a deep conditioning treatment. You'll have to experiment with the amount of castor oil to use to avoid greasy hair. I would start off with a small amount like a teaspoon or less.

• Castor oil is versatile in that you can mix it with other oils to still receive the benefits but avoid the super-thick consistency. Try mixing it with Sweet Almond Oil to make it a lighter oil that is much easier to spread and gives it a nice scent.

• You can also experiment with castor oil for hair on your ends. This rich, thick oil will help your ends becomes shiny and hide the appearance of frizzy, damaged, and split ends. Over time, as you trim damage away, you'll notice your hair won't develop split ends as easily. Since it is so thick, you may want to mix it first.
Co-sign to the bullet points above. I love castor oil. It is a sticky mess going on, but by morning my hair is so soft and shiny.

iri9109

i find that it does make my hair thicker, and when i seal with it (only for WnGs and i do a light cold water rinse after so its not to greasy) i have super soft, defined, shiny, moist hair for days...like to the point where i cant keep my hands out of my hair...plus i use it to oil my scalp and i mix it in with my DCs

Misshairdiva

I have a whole gallon of this stuff, if ya'll lived closer I'd give it to you! It made my hair soft but I couldn't get over the smell!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I LOVE castor oil. My hair has definitely gotten thicker and I'm sure the CO has a lot to do with it. I agree though, the smell is bad. But I mix it with peppermint oil to mask the smell. I only put it on my scalp and new growth as part of my MN/Sulfur mix but I wouldn't mind using it alone on the full strand.

I'm thinking about adding it to my DC's also :yep:

GaiasDaughter24

I haven't noticed thickness (I haven't been looking either) but NOTHING, I mean NO.Other.Oil gets my hair as soft as Castor Oil. I LOVE it!!!!

Aspire

I co-sign on all the above. Additionally, I have used multiple types of CO - Cold pressed, Jamaican, Lavender Jamaican, and the processed kind used as a laxative. My experience is that ALL of them have equal benefits. I did not see a marked difference between the Jamaican and the laxative type. So for that reason I use the laxative kind. Its incredibly cheap and has absolutely no smell, but it still softens my hair and increases the thickness. I am not sure if others have tried all the types and have the same results . . .?

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I got a whole lot of thickness from applying it to my scalp a few times a week.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I co-sign on all the above. Additionally, I have used multiple types of CO - Cold pressed, Jamaican, Lavender Jamaican, and the processed kind used as a laxative. My experience is that ALL of them have equal benefits. I did not see a marked difference between the Jamaican and the laxative type. So for that reason I use the laxative kind. Its incredibly cheap and has absolutely no smell, but it still softens my hair and increases the thickness. I am not sure if others have tried all the types and have the same results . . .?

I agree. I've tried JBCO and the regular laxative type and got the same results..... softer hair. I won't be ordering the JBCO anymore and will use the one from Walmart that is only about $3 or so.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I thought my head hated castor oil until I tried it for oil rinsing and finger-detangling. Shocked I was at the amount of shed hair and tangles that melted away or were easy to slip out.

Summer79

Love Walmart's castor oil! It does make the hair thicker over time. I don't mix it with anything and use it mostly on the ends, may have to try it on the scalp.

alive

Love Walmart's castor oil! It does make the hair thicker over time. I don't mix it with anything and use it mostly on the ends, may have to try it on the scalp.

that's the same castor oil i have. when i bought it, i was surprised by how tiny the bottle was but i've been using the same one for ages now. a little goes a very long way with castor oil

MsPlatinumbsf

I love Castor Oil, it made my hair thicker which also gave me length. I use it every otherday I mix mines with coconut oil and almond oil.

Tiye

I mix JBCO with virgin coconut oil and just started adding sunflower oil. It isn't greasy. To me JBCO is far superior to the refined stuff from the pharmacy - on my hair the refined felt like hair grease whereas the unrefined has instant conditioning qualities.

RossBoss

I mostly use castor oil in the winter. It is good at keeping my hair moisturized. I also use it to tame my new growth. I wear a lot of ponytails and I like to put castor oil on my edges to keep it down.

WaistLengthDreams

I agree. I've tried JBCO and the regular laxative type and got the same results..... softer hair. I won't be ordering the JBCO anymore and will use the one from Walmart that is only about $3 or so.

I always wondered if there was a difference between JBCO and CO. When I'm out of the JBCO, I'll try out the regular laxative kind. Thanks, ladies!

D.Lisha

i'm still getting used to my JBCO...it's so darn THICK!!!
i'm going to get an application bottle to I can properly get it to my roots :).

Random Inquiry:---->Has anyone ever considered mixing JBCO with Megatek?:look:

lovelexi

I've been adding CO to my DCs and sometimes using it in my pre poo I can't attribute my healthier hair solely to CO but it certainly gives me positive results

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
i'm still getting used to my JBCO...it's so darn THICK!!!
i'm going to get an application bottle to I can properly get it to my roots :).

Random Inquiry:---->Has anyone ever considered mixing JBCO with Megatek?:look:

Yes, when I researching how to use Megatek, a number of people mentioned mixing MT and JBCO together.

I put my JBCO in a pump bottle, makes it sooo much easier to mix with my Vatika oil for application.