Castor Oil

daviine

I keep hearing these great things about castor oil but I'm wondering where are you guys getting the castor oil that you're using on your new growth and hairline?

I have castor oil from Haiti and it has a very strong smell to it that others may be offended by (I like it although the one I am using now has the strongest smell out of all that I've ever used). I know I cannot apply this to anywhere on my body and try to mingle among the human race.

What kind of castor oil is everyone else using that is having great results?

LondonDiva

The one I'm using is West Indian castor oil. I got it from my post office that sells hair products in the back. Very good stuff and it doesn't smell at all.

Integrity

i get my pure virgin castor oil from the chemist. most chemists should have pure castor oil that has little or no scent.

AZJeepgurl

Hi Daviine

Home Health Castor oil here from Sprouts ( a local health food market). But I saw it at GNC and Hi-Health, too.

It has an icky smell but when I used it on my skin after my shower, the smell disappeared. BTW: my skin still feels silky but not greasy. I love this stuff.

Thanks Amethyst or SherryLove or whoever it was that used this brand "religiously".

Wow! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Faith

Is it me or is it a bit sticky. Am I not diluting it enough? My mix was 1/2 tsp jojoba oil, 3 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp castor oil. And it was sticky. Maybe I need to drop it to 1/2 tsp? HMMMM.

Kitkat

Daviine, I think I know the scent you're talking about. My mother used to rub castor oil on our skin when we were young, and boy did that stuff smell yucky!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif It was greasy as all hell, too. Thanks for starting this thread. At least I'll have an idea as to where to find acceptable smelling stuff.

pooh123

AZJeepgurl I'm gonna have to try it on my skin. I have the same brand you have. I got mine at my health food store for $3.95. I used mine as a hot oil treatment mixed with jojoba oil last night for the first time and I can definitely tell a difference between the pure oils and the premixed oils such as Hot Six Oil. Its like the pure oil penetrates deeper into the hair shaft. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PapillionRouge

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
daviine said:
I keep hearing these great things about castor oil but I'm wondering where are you guys getting the castor oil that you're using on your new growth and hairline?
I have castor oil from Haiti and it has a very strong smelto it that others may be offended by (I like it although the one I am using now has the strongest smell out of all that I've ever used). I know I cannot apply this to anywhere on my body and try to mingle among the human race.

What kind of castor oil is everyone else using that is having great results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Castor oil the same as huile masqueti (sp?). I hope not! Cuz that smell is really /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Yes Castor Oil is huile masqueti or huile palma christi. Caramele, honey deal with the smell and be prepared for growth. when my hair finshes growing people will stop smelling the stench of my hair products.

Amethyst

Hi daviine/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I use the HomeHealth Castor Oil. The vitaminshoppe sells it. I mix it with olive, jojoba, rosemary and vit. e oils. I love the richness of it and the smell isn't bad either.

marabou1

Hi Caramelle:

Yes, huile masquiti is castor oil. I know it has a srong smell /images/graemlins/shocked.gif and this is why I mixed it in the oil mixture(rosmary, coconut, and jojoba) I already had. I've heard that the unrefined ones are the ones that have the heavy scent.

Daviine:
Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that the ones that don't stink, are the ones that have something else added to it even though the label will say 100%.

When my mom was my age, she had hair past her shoulders and at the time, the only thing she used was castor oil. When she came to this country in the late 60s, she started using grease. Years later, my mother finally realized that it was the huile masqueti that had made her hair long, but by then she didn't know that huile masqueti was castor oil.

Meinzzfuture:
Is castor oil the only thing you put in your scalp, or do you mix it with something else?

Armyqt

Okay ladies please clear comething up for me. I looked up Palma Christi and Huile Masquiti and it seems that these are just different names for castor oil. Now what I was really trying to find out was, what is the difference with the one that smells and the one I have (homehealth) which doesn't smell. Homehealth brand is cold-pressed which I always thought was the purest form. Help a sista out please. TIA

marabou1

Hi Armyqt:

Sorry to confuse you. /images/graemlins/huh.gif

I honestly don't know if one is better than the other, but what I do know is that people I know who have used the one that has the strong scent, swears that it grows hair thick and long.

I can't say anything about the other one (no scent) because I don't know anyone who uses it.

Does anyone else here use both or have in the past? If so, can you explain the differences, if you noticed any?

marabou1

Hi Arymqt:

My dad lives in Haiti now and he's the one who sends it to me. My father really sent it to me because castor oil is good for many things. I once rubbed it on my nephew's back and chest because he had a high fever. I swear to you that his fever was gone in less than 20 minutes.

Before, I never thought to use it on my scalp again because I did once in the past and had acne on my scalp as a result, but I figured it out to be that I was using it too often after reading about it here at this site. Now I use it only 2-3 times a week. When my mom saw me using it one day, that's when she told me the story of how long her hair used to be when she used many years ago. She has since started using it again.

After reading your questions, I went to google and did a search on castor oil, and this is what I found. http://www.baar.com/castroil.htm

The coloring is almost exactly like the one from Haiti and I also believe the kind I have is cold pressed. Because of this, I really believe that castor oil should not have a clear color, but should look like this or just a little darker.

Armyqt:
Do you have any dominican or haitian stores in your area? I believe dominicans use the exact same kind. I'm sure you'll find it one of the shops there. If you absolutely cannot find any, maybe I can send you a sample. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DazzlingD

Armyqt, being haitian myself I can say that marabou1 is 100% right. The best castor oil (huile masqueti) is dark in color and smelly. But it does work wonders. My family lives by that stuff. As a matter of fact many Haitians live by this oil. When it seems like we are remotely running out by family is scrambling trying to get some /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Luckily, there are many haitian stores by us so we can get if from there. But it is expensive though. A small bottle is like $2.50 by me. And it is used for everything. Whenever I have a really bad cold or a sore muscle that is what is pulled out. The oil is very powerful. However, I am just starting to use it in my hair after reading the different posts about it. I never put it my hair before because of the smell. But now I mix it with other oils that I have been advised to use and it isn't so bad. I just have to deal with it if I want my hair to grow,look and feel healthy.

Armyqt

Thanks Marabou1 and DazzlingD. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I also did a search and came up with the baar link. I wasn't sure though what the difference was, so I wanted to clear that up here. For some reason it seems like stuff from the Islands are always of better quality. In Jamaica, we use healing oil for everything, much the same way you guys probaby use the palma christi. Thanks for the links ladies. I don't have any Dominican or Haitian stores nearby, but there is one West Indian (mostly Jamaican/Puerto Rican) store where I usually buy my foods and stuff, so I'll check there. Once I get my hands on some, I'll let yall know. Thanks again.

daviine

Sak paé to my fellow haitiennes!!!!!! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I was just so excited that I HAD to say that!!!

daviine

The one I have here is way darker than that. It's a dark brown (almost black in the bottle) but the one I had before it was just a few shades lighter but still dark.

marabou1

Allo:

Mwe content we nou la! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Ok, so I tried!

Good luck with the castor oil and your hair growth!

marabou1

Thanks Daviine/Pebbles:

I try! LOL!

I figured, since I turned 30 last month, it would be a shame if I still couldn't converse with distant relatives when there's a reunion. My creole isn't too bad, but it's hard for me to lead a convo.

Leshia

okay, so do i need to throw ou t my slightly brown, odorless castor oil that I ordered online at thesage.com or what? Is mine just as good even though it doesn't stink??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Leshia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
DazzlingD said:
The best castor oil (huile masqueti) is dark in color and smelly. But it does work wonders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dazzling, would you mind looking at the castor oil at www.thesage.com and telling me what you think? I ordered that kind but am wondering if I need to order something else. Let me know when you get a minute. Thank you.