Ayurveda Lovers Unite!!!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Tried the powders: amla, hibiscus, brahmi, and bhringraj as a paste and I don't like the grittiness of it. I think I will like them much better in oil infusions with coconut and sesame oil.

flowinlocks

Hey ladies! I miss you guys. I've been a bad girl when it come to my hair. I haven't done a tea rinse or paste in ages. I do however still use my oils everyday. Glad to see every is doing well with their reggies.

Krystle~Hime

Did my usually c-bam(cassia - brahmi/amla/maka)
and for 2nd time, I added a tablespoon of hydrolysed wheat protein
and for the first time I added 2 tablespoon of aloe juice.

seriously, this lil spoon of protein does wonders on my hair. it's only 10% of the paste, so it's like a light protein treat.

Now I will only do my ayur treatment every two weeks, for sure.

Krystle~Hime

woooooooooooooooooww my indian ayurvedic store now sells amla juice, brahmi juice !!!!!! i've also found dried amla fruits !!!! must be great for a good true homemade amla oil !!!!!!!!!!
I also want to do an amla/brahmi/aloe juice daily moisturizer but I don't know if the indian juices'part can dry out my hair or not !! I also think the smell isn't sexy for sure :( !

but i'm so happy about this find :spinning:
in 10 days when I will take down my mini twists I will do my c-bam mix with brahmi juice.

SimplyBlessed

is it possible to get PURE Bhringraj and Brahmi oil w/no extra ingredients...

if not what brands of these oils are u ladies using?

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Doing a HOT with shikakai oil now. Will tea rinse with a kalpi tone & fenugreek mix then follow with a cowash.

choctaw

pre-poo with ayurvedic herbs (henna, amla, brahmi, maka) infused in blend of oils (castor, mustard, gingelly)
co-wash with Trader Joe Nourish Spa conditioner
apply argan oil and Jamaican Mango & Lime locking gel to wet hair
braid to dry

Last edited:

Kurlee

givin henna a go again. Aiming for a quarterly henna treatment.
mix:
rajasthani henna
brahmi
amla
hibiscus
indigo
coconut milk

First time that I have done a henna and indigo with such softness and ease! Virtually tangle free!

leiah

I am soaking some amlas overnight tomorrow I will use the juice in my brahmi paste.

is it possible to get PURE Bhringraj and Brahmi oil w/no extra ingredients...

if not what brands of these oils are u ladies using?

they are always infused in other oils - the leaves of the plants are used, not an oil made from the plant itself

i use a bhringraj oil with sesame oil and bhringraj as the only ingredients. a local indian store makes it
before i was using the one they have on ayurnatural beauty. its fragranced and smells pretty awful

I've been oiling my scalp with bhringraj a few days a week for about 4 or 5 months and I've gone from armpit to now nearing waist length during that time

Ms. Tiki

Has anyone mixed mustard oil or amla oil in their growth aides w/MN, MT, sulfur, peppermint and tea tree oil? I need to mix up another batch this weekend and I thought about using my amla oil or buying some mustard oil to mix with in in addition to or in place of my JBCO and EVCO

Krystle~Hime

givin henna a go again. Aiming for a quarterly henna treatment.
mix:
rajasthani henna
brahmi
amla
hibiscus
indigo
coconut milk

First time that I have done a henna and indigo with such softness and ease! Virtually tangle free!

Kurlee

how did your hair turn? about color ? it seems that you mixed everything together so you didn't do a 2 step treatment(henna mix, then indigo)
so if you can tell me what color does this henna/brahmi/amla/indigo/hibiscus leave on your hair ? also, how long did you leave it on hair.?

Platinum

I'm definitely going back to ayurvedic co-washes, oil rinses, and oil infusions.:yep: I never got around to trying the tea rinses but I think I'll try those when I go home. I :love: Brahmi and Maka powders.

Kurlee

@Kurlee

how did your hair turn? about color ? it seems that you mixed everything together so you didn't do a 2 step treatment(henna mix, then indigo)
so if you can tell me what color does this henna/brahmi/amla/indigo/hibiscus leave on your hair ? also, how long did you leave it on hair.?
my hair was buttery soft! I forgot about adding bringaraj:spinning:. The colour was a very subtle espresso with slight red hints. The colour is much more visible in the sun and on my ends. my mix was (approximately):
25g henna
100 g indigo
50 grams hibiscus
25 grams amla, brahmi
1 can of coconut milk

I'm way too lazy to do the two step treatment, so it's easier to just do one step and get as close to black as possible. I DC'd with damage remedy treatment + joico moisture recovery balm + joico kpak instensive moisture + affirm sustenance + avocado oil (unrefined) overnight.

BUTTERY HAIR!

Last edited:

Platinum

Kurlee I never thought about using coconut milk in my henna mix, I usually use coconut oil though. I'm going to have to try that. I may even try that with my Ayurvedic cowashes too.:look: I did a Brahmi cowash with Suave Humectant the other day and my hair felt so strong, yet soft. I can't believe I stopped doing these!:spank:

Kurlee

@Kurlee I never thought about using coconut milk in my henna mix, I usually use coconut oil though. I'm going to have to try that. I may even try that with my Ayurvedic cowashes too.:look: I did a Brahmi cowash with Suave Humectant the other day and my hair felt so strong, yet soft. I can't believe I stopped doing these!:spank:
i think the combo of the coconut milk with the hibiscus made my hair super soft, yet strong. very little grit. LOVED IT!:yep::yep::yep: Rinsing was a breeze.

Krystle~Hime

I need some clarification on working with Ayurvedic herbs. Normally I mix Horsetail, Nettle, Amla, Brahmi, Irish Moss, Marshmallow Powder, Fenugreek Seed Powder, and Hibiscus powders together. I make a rinse out of it using about 2 teaspoons for 20 ounces of water. This works for me and makes my hair really soft!

I wanted to add Ayurvedic powders to my shampooing stages as well. I was thinking of making a tea-poo out of a small amount of Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap, AVJ, and adding Bhringraj, Shikakai, Neem, and Tulsi powders to this.

I have read conflicting information on if I'm able to mix the cleansing herbs with the conditioning herbs. Does anyone have any advice or reccomendations on this?
mnsmith2003
I continue here because this is the main thread about Ayurveda.

there is no restrictions when you want to do a mix, just one thing, you can sleep overnight with some herbs and you can not with some others.
In my own opinion, and from former experiiences, I don't recommend staying more than 20minutes with shikaki and aretha(aritha) on head. also, I don't think the need to mix them together(i've heard aritha is more powerful than shikakai)

greenandchic

I have to try a little coconut milk in my henna mix next time. I was afraid of it being heavy on the protein, but I don't have to use much.

I've been doing henna (with a little amla) treatments every other week for the past month and my hair is much stronger and I experience less breakage. I don't know how long I want to keep this up, but my hair has improved over the past several weeks.

Truth

on a wim I purchased Bhringraj oil and amla oil... I have noooo clue what to do with it. I've read about prepooing , however I don't prepoo because I go straight from the gym to the shower for washing/cowashing soooooo ummm yea Let me roll back 32 pages and get's ta reading before this stuff arrives. Any ladies use ayurvedic oils and go to the gym as well? and are serious head sweaters..lol I usually do thoro research and look at reviews before purchasing stuff i've never tried. Iono what's gotten into me lately...i'm thinking of mixing the 2 oils with some jbco to do scalp massages with.

Last edited:

choctaw

Mixed up henna/amla/maka paste with coconut water, egg and home made ayurvedic oil (castor, coconut, mustard and sesame oils infused with brahmi, fenugreek, henna, hibiscus and maka).

MaraWithLove

Has anyone who's used bhringraj oil experienced breakout? I'm wondering if it's the sesame seed oil base or the bhringraj itself, but I definitely broke out. Any suggestions? Maybe I have to "weaken" it and dilute with olive/grapeseed oil?

choctaw

Has anyone who's used bhringraj oil experienced breakout? I'm wondering if it's the sesame seed oil base or the bhringraj itself, but I definitely broke out. Any suggestions? Maybe I have to "weaken" it and dilute with olive/grapeseed oil?

MaraWithLove,
I have only used homemade bhringraj infused oils. My first blend was 2 tablespoons powder in 16 oz of sesame/almond oil and I love it. I use my bhringraj oil for oil rinses and to oil scalp, edges and ends. I used bhringraj powder from Banyan Botanicals and food grade quality oils (Idrahayam gingelly for sesame oil and Tourangelle almond oil). I did not have any breakouts. HTH

MaraWithLove

MaraWithLove,
I have only used homemade bhringraj infused oils. My first blend was 2 tablespoons powder in 16 oz of sesame/almond oil and I love it. I use my bhringraj oil for oil rinses and to oil scalp, edges and ends. I used bhringraj powder from Banyan Botanicals and food grade quality oils (Idrahayam gingelly for sesame oil and Tourangelle almond oil). I did not have any breakouts. HTH

Thank you Choctaw! I realized it wasn't the actual oil itself, just that it was just before 'that time' so I broke out + my skin is sensitive and I've been oiling like crazy. Add humidity to that and well haha guess it seeped into my skin. Thanks for your comments! :)

LaidBak

I'm back on the board after a hiatus and back using cassia. Used up the last of my bhringraj oil so I need to order some more.
Totally inspired by Flow's progress!

Anaya-Amani

I hit the Ayurvedic jackpot yesterday!!! Check out my new products:

The box on the end is Neem. I also got a Neem shampoo for scalp health. I think I'll try adding coconut milk to my mix next time; I've been using hot six oil & coconut oil. I luv luv luv the natural sheen & dark color of my hair; that totally uncharacteristic of me b/c I used to think my dark hair washed me out!!!

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Did a tea rinse on Saturday using fenugreek & kalpi tone. Yesterday made a rhassoul paste with water, hemp oil, and coconut milk. My hair feels soooo good :yep:.

lala

Are the Hesh products now safe to use? I tossed mine last year after the reported contamination, but haven't found an alternative brand.