6 Month Ayurveda Challenge Reveal Thread!

MissMusic

The challenge ends today!! So ladies let's see those reveal photos!
Also,

What is your favorite way to use Ayurveda?
What would you tell an Ayurvedic beginner?
In what way do you feel that Ayurveda has made an impact of your hair?

MissMusic

So, as some of you may know I had a major setback shortly after beginning this challenge. The setback had nothing to do with Ayurveda and everything to do with a stylist! So I have been nursing my hair back to health using Ayurveda and I am happy to say that it has recovered completely in six months. I begin the challenge with WL hair and now I am full shoulder length. Here's a few pix that might explain better.

Starting photo in avatar June 2009 (what I call anorexic WL)

After setback photos, as you might be able to see, basically more than half of my hair broke off to a length shorter than neck length.

Here are some photos for comparison and the last photo is the current state of my hair.

BSL before setback July 2008

BSL after setback August 2009

APL before setback December 2007

APL after setback September 2009

SL before setback August 2007

SL after setback December 2009

Ayurveda has helped my hair grow back strong and thick. Its no longer thin and lifeless and I credit a solid regimen and the strengthing properties of the Ayurvedic powders for my hairs bounce back only taking six months.

My favorite way to use Ayurveda is using teas. They are just as potent as pastes and impart just as much nutrient for the hair without the mess of pastes.

I would tell a beginnger to start with one oil (Vatika) and two powders (Shikakai and Amla). Use these to do hot oil treatments, make pastes, powders and to discover how your hair will react to some of the strongest powders. Then branch out adding one powder and one oil at a time so that you know how each new thing affects the hair as compared to the old. Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:

flowinlocks

I remember when you were cutting your hair. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Does this stylist know the extent of the damage she has caused? Your SL Dec. pic. looks thicker since the ends are gone. I'm glad your current reggie is working for you,:yep: and I have no doubt that with your nursing along with Ayurveda you will meet and surpasse your goals in 2010. Here's to a new year of growing long healthy hair.

flowinlocks

Ok here is the end result of 6 months of Ayurveda. I will say it's been a wonderful journey.

OILS, OILS, OILS!! Lol and of course the double tea rinse :lick:, oh yeah and don't forget the poo bars.

READ!!! I can't stress this enough. Aside from doing research I would have to say PAY ATTENTION to what your hair needs and how it reacts. Just like any other reggie, Ayurveda is not a on size fits all.

I would have to say over all health, softness, silkiness, and growth.

Starting pic.

Today

Sorry for the poor quality. Overall it's been a wonderful year as far as progress. However I plan on doing some trimming after the new year in hopes of gaining some thickness. Thanks for all the inspiration and motivation ladies!!!:bighug:

Kellum

Ok here is the end result of 6 months of Ayurveda. I will say it's been a wonderful journey.

OILS, OILS, OILS!! Lol and of course the double tea rinse :lick:, oh yeah and don't forget the poo bars.

READ!!! I can't stress this enough. Aside from doing research I would have to say PAY ATTENTION to what your hair needs and how it reacts. Just like any other reggie, Ayurveda is not a on size fits all.

Starting pic.

Today

Sorry for the poor quality. Overall it's been a wonderful year as far as progress. However I plan on doing some trimming after the new year in hopes of gaining some thickness. Thanks for all the inspiration and motivation ladies!!!:bighug:
Wow flowinlocks that's some amazing progress.

So, as some of you may know I had a major setback shortly after beginning this challenge. The setback had nothing to do with Ayurveda and everything to do with a stylist! So I have been nursing my hair back to health using Ayurveda and I am happy to say that it has recovered completely in six months. I begin the challenge with WL hair and now I am full shoulder length. Here's a few pix that might explain better.

Starting photo in avatar June 2009 (what I call anorexic WL)

After setback photos, as you might be able to see, basically more than half of my hair broke off to a length shorter than neck length.

Here are some photos for comparison and the last photo is the current state of my hair.

BSL before setback July 2008

BSL after setback August 2009

APL before setback December 2007

APL after setback September 2009

SL before setback August 2007

SL after setback December 2009

Ayurveda has helped my hair grow back strong and thick. Its no longer thin and lifeless and I credit a solid regimen and the strengthing properties of the Ayurvedic powders for my hairs bounce back only taking six months.

My favorite way to use Ayurveda is using teas. They are just as potent as pastes and impart just as much nutrient for the hair without the mess of pastes.

I would tell a beginnger to start with one oil (Vatika) and two powders (Shikakai and Amla). Use these to do hot oil treatments, make pastes, powders and to discover how your hair will react to some of the strongest powders. Then branch out adding one powder and one oil at a time so that you know how each new thing affects the hair as compared to the old. Hope this makes sense!

Sorry to hear about your setback. Your hair does look a lot healthier and thicker now since cutting the ends. I'm sure you will get back to WL strong than ever.

Ms_CoCo37

I loved being a part of this challenge. This is where I first learned about auyrveda. Everyone was so helpful and patient with all of my questions. I honestly don't think I would have had as much success with my last challenge without participating in this one. Thanks ladies!:look:

flowinlocks

I loved being a part of this challenge. This is where I first learned about auyrveda. Everyone was so helpful and patient with all of my questions. I honestly don't think I would have had as much success with my last challenge without participating in this one. Thanks ladies!:look:

Congratulations!! Your hair is beautiful.

Kellum

Here are my progress pics. I have been using Ayurveda for about a year now.

4/16/09 touch up and trim; I am a little longer than APL with lots of layers. I had been using Ayurveda for at least 4 months here.

7/30/2009 Touch up after challenge had started. I gained length and thickness. I was pleased. I still had a lot of layers, but they seemed to be growing out and the shoter ones were catching up with the longer ones.

I got a touch up after a 19 week stretch on 12/13. I got a trim on 12/17 and had to prepare my hair. I washed, dc, and flat ironed it.
Before my trim:

Half up half down

This was my first time seeing my hair flat ironed after my touch up. I was really surprised at the length and thickness I had gotten, but I needed a trim.A lot of the layers on top had grown caught up with the bottom ones. My bottom layer is much longer too making my ends look thin. I needed a good trim.

After my trim

Half up half down.

I love the results of my trim. I am a little sad to lose the length, but happy at the same time that my ends are in great condition. The bottom part of my hair is almost completely layer free. The top is catching up too.

I basically make a mix for my weekly regimen. I don't make teas or paste. I tried that in the beginning but soon learned that I didn't like the work involved.
I measure my powders, put them in a bowl, add hot water, mix, let sit, add cool water, pour in a cup and then pour onto my oil rinsed hair in the shower. I let it sit on my hair for 30 mins to an hour with a plastic cap. Then I rinse, cowash, and dc.

My hair is always soft and silky when rinsing and cowashing. It never feels like I need to do a dc, but I do any how. The dc is the icing on the cake for me.

I like to make my own leave in tea spritzes for when I am wearing my half wigs with cornrows underneath.I spray it on without rinsing at least every other day. The tea last a long time. I refriderate mine to preserve it. It smells good because of the hibiscus and fenugreek and leaves my hair feels soft when it is time to take down my braids.

Read, research, and then read some more before jumping into this. Like Flowinlocks said start with Shikakai and Amla first and see how your hair handles it. That's what I did. I had good results so I just went from there with other powders. If you want to try the oils but are scared of the strong smells use Vatika. That's what I use. I have never tried the other oils and probably never will. I am smell sensitive. I like that the Vatika oil is coconut oil which I love but also has the herbs in it.

It has made my hair stronger, shinier, thicker, more resilient, over all healthier. I love Ayurveda and will continue to use it on my hair.

Last edited:

flowinlocks

4/16/09 touch up and trim; I am a little longer than APL with lots of layers. I had been using Ayurveda for at least 4 months here.

7/30/2009 Touch up after challenge had started. I gained length and thickness. I was pleased. I still had a lot of layers, but they seemed to be growing out and the shoter ones were catching up with the longer ones.

I got a touch up after a 19 week stretch on 12/13. I got a trim on 12/17 and had to prepare my hair. I washed, dc, and flat ironed it.
Before my trim:

Half up half down

This was my first time seeing my hair flat ironed after my touch up. I was really surprised at the length and thickness I had gotten, but I needed a trim.A lot of the layers on top had grown caught up with the bottom ones. My bottom layer is much longer too making my ends look thin. I needed a good trim.

After my trim

Half up half down.

I love the results of my trim. I am a little sad to lose the length, but happy at the same time that my ends are in great condition. The bottom part of my hair is almost completely layer free. The top is catching up too.

I basically make a mix for my weekly regimen. I don't make teas or paste. I tried that in the beginning but soon learned that I didn't like the work involved.
I measure my powders, put them in a bowl, add hot water, mix, let sit, add cool water, pour in a cup and then pour onto my oil rinsed hair in the shower. I let it sit on my hair for 30 mins to an hour with a plastic cap. Then I rinse, cowash, and dc.

My hair is always soft and silky when rinsing and cowashing. It never feels like I need to do a dc, but I do any how. The dc is the icing on the cake for me.

I like to make my own leave in tea spritzes for when I am wearing my half wigs with cornrows underneath.I spray it on without rinsing at least every other day. The tea last a long time. I refriderate mine to preserve it. It smells good because of the hibiscus and fenugreek and leaves my hair feels soft when it is time to take down my braids.

Read, research, and then read some more before jumping into this. Like Flowinlocks said start with Shikakai and Amla first and see how your hair handles it. That's what I did. I had good results so I just went from there with other powders. If you want to try the oils but are scared of the strong smells use Vatika. That's what I use. I have never tried the other oils and probably never will. I am smell sensitive. I like that the Vatika oil is coconut oil which I love but also has the herbs in it.

It has made my hair stronger, shinier, thicker, more resilient, over all healthier. I love Ayurveda and will continue to use it on my hair.

Congratulations!!! I love the thickness of your hair. Don't feel sad about your trim. You'll be at BSL before you know it.:yep:

Ltown

Greyland
I enjoy the challenge and had success with my transitioning to natural using Ayurveda products. Because I've been cutting my relax ends I did not take pictures during the challenge. I did have growth because I've been maintaining the same length of beginning sl for a year.

I started using paste, which for me was messy. Thanks to Flowinlocks, Aggie, and Shay I started using tea rinses. Save a lot of time because you can save a batch!

I would suggest newbies to read, this challegence and any ayurveda support thread throughout the forum. Take notes, and keep your our journal to document what you like/or not.

Last edited:

beans4reezy

Starting pic.

Today

WOW!!!!! AMAZING PROGRESS! I have been waiting for your update since your last thread. And you've made APL too!!! Have you updated the APL '09 thread? Wow, congrats!!

I wanted to really try Ayurveda the next go around, but I am pregnant now, so I am not too sure about using all of these powders and oils. But I have to give this a try...seriously!!!

MissMusic

Starting pic.

Today

Awesome progress!! You've been with these challenges from the beginning, thanks for being a willing participant!!!

MissMusic

Before my trim:

Half up half down

After my trim

Half up half down.

Wow! You're hair looks so thick and impressive! Ayurveda seems to be really working for your hair! Congrats on the progress!!!

MissMusic

I enjoy the challenge and had success with my transitioning to natural using Ayurveda products. Because I've been cutting my relax ends I did not take pictures during the challenge. I did have growth because I've been maintaining the same length of beginning sl for a year.

I started using paste, which for me was messy. Thanks to Flowinlocks, Aggie, and Shay I started using tea rinses. Save a lot of time because you can save a batch!

I would suggest newbies to read, this challegence and any ayurveda support thread throughout the forum. Take notes, and keep your our journal to document what you like/or not.

Don't worry about pics, I appreciate you participating in the numerous discussions that occur in this challenge. Let us know when you chop off those relaxed ends and I hope Ayurveda continues to work for you!

flowinlocks

WOW!!!!! AMAZING PROGRESS! I have been waiting for your update since your last thread. And you've made APL too!!! Have you updated the APL '09 thread? Wow, congrats!!

I wanted to really try Ayurveda the next go around, but I am pregnant now, so I am not too sure about using all of these powders and oils. But I have to give this a try...seriously!!!

Thanks, yes I did post an update in the APL challenge thread. Congratulations on your little one. By all means give it a try once you deliver. Believe me you won't regret it.

Kellum

Congratulations!!! I love the thickness of your hair. Don't feel sad about your trim. You'll be at BSL before you know it.:yep:
Thanks, I'm not sad no more. I know now that I have to keep on a regular trimming/dusting schedule to keep my ends up. I will be BSL hopefully by my one year in April.

Wow! You're hair looks so thick and impressive! Ayurveda seems to be really working for your hair! Congrats on the progress!!!
Thanks, yea it does agree with my hair unlike anything that I have ever tried in my life. I am a life long user.

Fhrizzball

Did amla make your hair more brown? I'm currently using henna in hope of faint red highlights and I heard amla in henna makes the batch more brown so I'm wondering if it does the same by itself.

You guys are making me wanna join up on an aryuvedic challenge. As if I don't have enough on my plate already.lol

Awesome progress ladies.

@OP what did the stylist due to your hair exactly? You more than recovered though so I'm sure you'll be back as wsl in no time!

Ltown

Greyland

Before my trim:

Half up half down

After my trim

Half up half down.

Ayurveda and PS really worked for you, congrats!

Ltown

Greyland

Starting pic.

Today

Thanks, yes I did post an update in the APL challenge thread. Congratulations on your little one. By all means give it a try once you deliver. Believe me you won't regret it.

Awesome growth, I did not know you made APL:rolleyes:. I appreciate you help during this challenge! Congrats!

MissMusic

Did amla make your hair more brown? I'm currently using henna in hope of faint red highlights and I heard amla in henna makes the batch more brown so I'm wondering if it does the same by itself.

You guys are making me wanna join up on an aryuvedic challenge. As if I don't have enough on my plate already.lol

Awesome progress ladies.

@OP what did the stylist due to your hair exactly? You more than recovered though so I'm sure you'll be back as wsl in no time!

Here's the explanation straight from my blog, lol:

http://www.fromshorttolong.com/2009/09/i-know-what-caused-setback.html

Platinum

Congratulations Ladies. Awesome progress!:clap::clap::clap:

I wasn't consistent with Ayurveda because I've been transitioning in braids for the last 7 months. However, I do henna treatments before going to the braid shop. I think Henna has really helped with retention. I tried to transition when I first joined LHCF and had lots of breakage. I'll be 8 months post relaxer on the 25th and I haven't had any breakage. I'm thinking about starting back on my oils again. Do you think the tea rinses will work for me since I'm in braids?

Galadriel

I am loving these results! This is definitely inspiring!

**Marking my place, will update tomorrow!**

ETA: Here are my pics...

^^^I really like the color. I think the last time I applied Henna to my hair was maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

^^^I definitely feel that my hair is stronger and thicker from using Ayurveda.

^^^If I hadn't had those two trims, who knows where I'd be? I think I have two and a half more inches to go in order to reach my next length goal? But I LOVE how my blunt ends are coming along. I hated having that "V." Did I mention I cut my own bangs too? I need to put the scissors down. :spinning:

Last edited:

Galadriel

I'm 5 mos. pregnant and have been using Ayurvedic powders and oils throughout this challenge :yep:.

flowinlocks

I am loving these results! This is definitely inspiring!

**Marking my place, will update tomorrow!**

ETA: Here are my pics...

^^^I really like the color. I think the last time I applied Henna to my hair was maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

^^^I definitely feel that my hair is stronger and thicker from using Ayurveda.

^^^If I hadn't had those two trims, who knows where I'd be? I think I have two and a half more inches to go in order to reach my next length goal? But I LOVE how my blunt ends are coming along. I hated having that "V." Did I mention I cut my own bangs too? I need to put the scissors down. :spinning:

Awesome!! I love the color and the shine!!